test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shuttle bay as part of my ship interior (and other things I want because I am greedy)

haldan1968haldan1968 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
Shuttle bay as part of my ship interior (and other things I want because I am greedy)

I would really like to be able to walk up to my shuttle in a shuttle bay and 'board' it as opposed to the transporter thing. Stick it on the engineering section map somewhere. Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Also, is there some way that we can get to fly our ship from the bridge (in sector space only I will assume)? Perhaps have a marker in the game to represent my ship, and instance my bridge (as per usual), but link them somehow? I will now bow my head in shame knowing that this has been asked for many times before.

An entire set of story missions that take place on my ship (or on my ship interior map.) An alien presence loose on the crew deck. A saboteur in the engineering section and now we need to hurry to contain a warp core breech. A plague has broken out on the ship and we are quarantined until we can figure it out, but the plague is not a plague but an alien attack. A diplomat is murdered and we have to examine the evidence and question various crew members to find the killer.

This would have to use the same maps that the player is using for their ship interiors, but could be a lot of fun.

I?m done now. Peace, have fun, and I love this game :).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Most of the things you have asked for have been covered in centersolace and I's proposal (see link in sig).

Read the document first, then consolidate your ideas there.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • haldan1968haldan1968 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    sumghai wrote: »
    Most of the things you have asked for have been covered in centersolace and I's proposal (see link in sig).

Read the document first, then consolidate your ideas there.

I am in no mood to read through 49 pages of posts just to see if something I want to suggest has already been suggested, but I skimmed through it all anyway. I did NOT see anywhere where people were asking for missions to take place on their ship interior maps, (like those episodes of trek that took place entirely on the ship).

I saw a lot of people asking for the interior maps to be more varied, more flexible, and to allow for greater customization, but nobody asking for interior ship map based missions.

I don’t know dude, but it strikes me a little funny that before you ask me to read FORTY-NINE PAGES of posts you could have at least skimmed through my three little paragraphs first.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The only problem is that the unique ship interiors (Belfast and upcoming Intrepid) would require unique shuttlebays.

The Belfast, being a Defiant class interior, would only have one shuttle in it... and hopefully it would be the type 10 as the standard since having YOUR (The chosen) shuttle display would most likely not be do-able.
    edited January 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    The only problem is that the unique ship interiors (Belfast and upcoming Intrepid) would require unique shuttlebays.

The Belfast, being a Defiant class interior, would only have one shuttle in it... and hopefully it would be the type 10 as the standard since having YOUR (The chosen) shuttle display would most likely not be do-able.

The Defiant shuttle bay is indeed problematic. Even looking at the official schematic for that ship, the shuttle placement is just flat out wrong. Look at the schematic closely and you will notice that it falls far too low to be located in the center of the ship, and MUST be somewhere inside the nacelles (which makes zero sense), because that is the only part of the ship that sits that low.

In light of that, it could still be included at the far end of the engineering section (there is even a door there already on the Belfast map that leads to nowhere.. one of many in fact).

But I do feel your point is valid, and perhaps some of the more unique interiors would not have a shuttle bay interior. I would just be happy if any one of the interiors would have one.
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    haldan1968 wrote: »
    The Defiant shuttle bay is indeed problematic. Even looking at the official schematic for that ship, the shuttle placement is just flat out wrong. Look at the schematic closely and you will notice that it falls far too low to be located in the center of the ship, and MUST be somewhere inside the nacelles (which makes zero sense), because that is the only part of the ship that sits that low.

In light of that, it could still be included at the far end of the engineering section (there is even a door there already on the Belfast map that leads to nowhere.. one of many in fact).

But I do feel your point is valid, and perhaps some of the more unique interiors would not have a shuttle bay interior. I would just be happy if any one of the interiors would have one.

You want to see something really weird?

Get on a cloakign Defiant and look at the bottom of the ship. The circle, the shuttle bay, has doors that LOOK like they were designed to open.
    edited January 2013
    haldan1968 wrote: »
    I don?t know dude, but it strikes me a little funny that before you ask me to read FORTY-NINE PAGES of posts you could have at least skimmed through my three little paragraphs first.

I never asked you to read all 49 pages of the thread.

I asked you to read the Google Docs document straight after the link, which contains the actual proposal.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • paulymanpaulyman Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I say who cares if somebody has asked for anything before if you want it ask again.

They stepped in the shuttlebay mess themselves.. The embassy has a shuttle hangar there are ground missions with shuttlebays even ship based missions with a shuttle bay. Why not just put that on the engineering deck or i assume it would be easier to make another deck with just the shuttlebay.

we have 2 decks on our ships plus the bridge.. even the defiant had more than 2 decks so adding a deck would not be a big problem lore/canon wise. If anything it would help with the feel of the ship. You would think that Cryptic would have designed more than one unique interior for sale on the zen store. They have several diffrent bridge variants already. The Belfast tells us that it is possible to have a unique interior. So in reality it comes down to them designing and implimenting things in game that many players have asked for many times over.

Of course they will respond about their limited staff. Really the way to make your player base happy and get them to spend more money in game is give them what they are begging to spend money on.

As for missions on the ship that i could see an issue with custom interiors. The mission would have to be programed and would not be able to detect your specific interior and adapt to that interior.
    edited January 2013
    paulyman wrote: »
    I say who cares if somebody has asked for anything before if you want it ask again.

It's easier to consolidate the discussion to an existing thread, where devs like tacofangs have actually responded regularly, then have them run around chasing down every last little duplicate thread.
    As for missions on the ship that i could see an issue with custom interiors. The mission would have to be programed and would not be able to detect your specific interior and adapt to that interior.

See the Google Doc for an implementation example.
  • paulymanpaulyman Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Most of these points and suggestions fall on deaf ears lately. If you have a post of 49 pages or more and nothing has been done about it realistically how effective can it be.
    edited January 2013
    Most of these points and suggestions fall on deaf ears lately. If you have a post of 49 pages or more and nothing has been done about it realistically how effective can it be.
    The 49 pages of posts are merely people suggesting and discussing stuff to put into the proposal.

The actual finalised proposal is in the Google Doc, which is far, far less than 49 pages. It's very, very, very hard to miss, but in case you and haldan1968 have trouble finding it:

http://bit.ly/STOShipInteriorProposal
    edited January 2013
    sumghai wrote: »
    The 49 pages of posts are merely people suggesting and discussing stuff to put into the proposal.

The actual finalised proposal is in the Google Doc, which is far, far less than 49 pages. It's very, very, very hard to miss, but in case you and haldan1968 have trouble finding it:

http://bit.ly/STOShipInteriorProposal

Thank you for the more direct link; this makes sense now. I can clearly see that you have put a lot of work and effort into your proposal. Nicely done.

However, I will still reserve the right to post whatever ideas and suggestions wherever I please to. That being said, I appreciate the link as it allows anyone coming here to follow it if they so please.

Cheers.
    edited January 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    You want to see something really weird?

Get on a cloakign Defiant and look at the bottom of the ship. The circle, the shuttle bay, has doors that LOOK like they were designed to open.

This is where they decided to have the shuttle bay on the show, so it would make sense that perhaps the designers had originally wanted it to work like that in the game before abandoning it.

The real problem with the Defiant is that nobody who was writing for DS9 or designing the sets or ships bothered to figure out how the thing was going to work before filming. Some of the original concept art has the bridge located in the front section of the ship (where the deflector is) and it could be jettisoned as a last resort to save the crew.

http://www.starshipdatalink.net/art/defiant.html

http://www.starshipdatalink.net/art/images/dd-7.gif

Another issue is the docking mechanism located somewhere in the main deflector because someone making decisions thought that it would look cool to have the ship docked nose first on DS9. It would make a lot more sense to have the ship docked by the aft section (and it even looks like we have a docking lock and door back there).

I will not get into any size and scale issues that the show presented, as most ships have serious issue there anyway. (I am looking at you Klingon Bird of Prey), so I will simply ignore that the in-game Defiant is bigger than it should be .

Anyway, the Defiant has some problems for interior design that begin with the TV show, and it already doesn?t make a whole lot of sense. The best we can do now for the game is fix it moving forward.
  • picardtheiiipicardtheiii Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I like the idea of a mission on the bridge.

Many people have discussed "flying" from bridge which obviously isnt happening in this game the way it is made. But a mission yeah but what about all bridges are different?

Its gonna be like...

"to fire phasers turn to pg. 57."

"To fire torpedos turn to page 32."

Then you turn to page 57 and its like

"Oooh you lost phaser power and died!!!"

And your like TRIBBLE and turn to page 32 and pretend like you never turned to page 57.