test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Uniforms

cdrgadleycdrgadley Member Posts: 145 Arc User
Can we get some "modern" non-jacket uniforms...more along the lines of what the original STO main page character had. His Sierra 1 was more form fitting than a jacket.

Also...can we get some rolled-up sleeve uniforms...along the lines of these...

uniformy.png

luniform.png

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,109 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    mass effect fan ? :P

+1 for new outfits
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Its canon! Well Miles O'Brien Canon at least...

V3TwZ.jpgbLlDe.jpg

lb8HZ.jpg
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    No. Keep that namby pamby Mass Effect and Halo glowy bit shenanigans out of this game. We have more than enough already.

Though Chief O'Brien sleeves are more than welcome.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    No. Keep that namby pamby Mass Effect and Halo glowy bit shenanigans out of this game. We have more than enough already.

aye what he said.. give us a option to roll up our sleeves on various outfits :P

however a ent maco outfit looks similiar to those mass effect outfits.. hint hint cryptic.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited January 2013

What an absurd post.

What I asked for has nothing to do with "glowy bits".

Also...considering the fact that you're not forced to wear the "glowy bit shenanigans" means you shouldn't care for them one way or the other.

No need to hate just because other people like something you do not.
    edited January 2013
    nynik wrote: »
    Its canon! Well Miles O'Brien Canon at least...

And Gordi in the films.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    cdrgadley wrote: »
    Also...considering the fact that you're not forced to wear the "glowy bit shenanigans" means you shouldn't care for them one way or the other.

No need to hate just because other people like something you do not.

Yes I do care, the Serra and Antares uniforms are complete garbage, and it would make me a very pleased man indeed to see them removed from the game in their entirety. I don't want them to be improved, I want them gone.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Yes I do care, the Serra and Antares uniforms are complete garbage, and it would make me a very pleased man indeed to see them removed from the game in their entirety. I don't want them to be improved, I want them gone.

Wow...ok.

So less options for others would make you happy.

To each their own I guess.
    edited January 2013
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Beats "FUTURISTIC GLOWING THINGS ON IT .... IN THE FUTURE!" ... oh and we got those uniforms because Cryptic inherited then from the Countdown comics that used Perpetual Entertainment design, thankfully we seem to have moved on from then with Odyssey uniform being on line with later EU Trek uniform designs that are in terms a natural evolution of the 2373 uniform.

Like I said...to each their own.

However, I wouldn't want an option completely removed from the game just because others like it and I don't.
    edited January 2013

lies.. sierra is the best. Sierra stays.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    'Rolled up sleeves' variants of all uniforms for 500 C points, coming soon :rolleyes:

With that said, there is nothing to buy from the C Store and my stipend is getting restless, so I'd probably buy them :P :o.
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,804 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I whole-heartedly agree!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    jcsww wrote: »
    I whole-heartedly agree!

I really don't understand the selfishness here.
    edited January 2013
    cdrgadley wrote: »
    I really don't understand the selfishness here.
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Beats "FUTURISTIC GLOWING THINGS ON IT .... IN THE FUTURE!" ... oh and we got those uniforms because Cryptic inherited then from the Countdown comics that used Perpetual Entertainment design, thankfully we seem to have moved on from then with Odyssey uniform being on line with later EU Trek uniform designs that are in terms a natural evolution of the 2373 uniform.

And it's about time! Perpetual had some good ideas, but the aesthetic design they had was horrible. Those uniforms do not look Trek, they do not feel Trek, they are not Trek. I could see them as the outfits/uniforms as some random race of the week to be saved/killed. But nothing a Starfleet Officer would wear.

The Odyssey uniforms should replace the other uniforms on all the NPC's throughout the game world, and the Antares and Sierra potato sacks (*ahem* uniforms) relegated elsewhere.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2013
    And it's about time! Perpetual had some good ideas, but the aesthetic design they had was horrible. Those uniforms do not look Trek, they do not feel Trek, they are not Trek. I could see them as the outfits/uniforms as some random race of the week to be saved/killed. But nothing a Starfleet Officer would wear.

The Odyssey uniforms should replace the other uniforms on all the NPC's throughout the game world, and the Antares and Sierra potato sacks (*ahem* uniforms) relegated elsewhere.

I do like the Sierra 1 version only, but all NPC should now be wearing Jupiter uniforms, it seems to replaced the Sierra ones, just as the Odyssey should replace the Jupiter.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    artan42 wrote: »
    I do like the Sierra 1 version only, but all NPC should now be wearing Jupiter uniforms, it seems to replaced the Sierra ones, just as the Odyssey should replace the Jupiter.

then when the Typhoon series come out .. I expect a Midriffs/open jacket/sleevees up combination :P (then something i dont care about for the fed lovers)

oh but of coure I cant have my Typhoon series without a certain ship in your sig now can i ? :O
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I say the same thing about the new Star Trek films, they look like BattleStar Galactica and feel like Star Wars... so in my world it isn't Star Trek.
    That being said I think it was still a GREAT film and the upcoming sequel looks it too so I've moved on and not let the rain in my world stop me enjoying them.

Oh and to me, Sierra is Trekkie, but on the other hand I don't see how they evolved from the uniforms in ST:Nemesis.
    Like with the Jupitor Uniforms, I don't see the evolution but they are beautiful!... Perfect for the Terran Empire too!
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • Options
    nassirisnassiris Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2013
    Drv's would love to also see some new uniform pieces for the KDF as well. You all seem to be so busy putting content out for the Federation side the KDF is always forgotten.
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I say the same thing about the new Star Trek films, they look like BattleStar Galactica and feel like Star Wars... so in my world it isn't Star Trek.
    That being said I think it was still a GREAT film and the upcoming sequel looks it too so I've moved on and not let the rain in my world stop me enjoying them.

Oh and to me, Sierra is Trekkie, but on the other hand I don't see how they evolved from the uniforms in ST:Nemesis.
    Like with the Jupitor Uniforms, I don't see the evolution but they are beautiful!... Perfect for the Terran Empire too!

They don,t have to evolve. Look at the TMP uniform it just came out of nowhere and then by TWOK the uniform was completely different again. My beef with the in game uniforms was how noticeable the seams were. TheTng uniform "unzips" with no noticeable lines in the uniform. It utilizes some unexplained technology (My guess in nano technology) to unzip or zip the uniform so perfectly there is no gaps or lines. When I first saw this games uniforms they looked like a step backwards.

Also I must ask where do you get to see Odyssey uniforms???
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    They don,t have to evolve. Look at the TMP uniform it just came out of nowhere and then by TWOK the uniform was completely different again. My beef with the in game uniforms was how noticeable the seams were. TheTng uniform "unzips" with no noticeable lines in the uniform. It utilizes some unexplained technology (My guess in nano technology) to unzip or zip the uniform so perfectly there is no gaps or lines. When I first saw this games uniforms they looked like a step backwards.

There's "out of nowhere" and "this looks like a different franchise". Star Trek uniforms have always been made out of cloth and always had a clean look. The current ones have all these weird bits, folds and hexagons and as such look like rejected Mass Effect costumes.
    Also I must ask where do you get to see Odyssey uniforms???

You have to get them via T3 Starbase. :(
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Yeah its all those extra bits that make the uniforms look backwards to me. The star trek uniform has hi tech properties why else are they able to beam down to frozen planets or other dangerous locations without any protection :P. You can blame JJ Trek for all the hexagons and stuff or if you want to go back further blame Sam Raimi's spider-man. I have mostly gotten used to some of the uniforms but all sewed on puffy bits and layered textures look backwards technologically compared to how simple uniforms were in the TNG era and beyond. Of course TNG series uniforms look TRIBBLE in game too (for the opposite reason too little texture and definition ).... :(
  • Options
    undyingzeroundyingzero Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    There's "out of nowhere" and "this looks like a different franchise". Star Trek uniforms have always been made out of cloth and always had a clean look. The current ones have all these weird bits, folds and hexagons and as such look like rejected Mass Effect costumes.

You have to get them via T3 Starbase. :(

They look nothing like Mass Effect costumes. The old ST uniforms, while sleek, were... a bit silly, because they're not really utilitarian. The Antares and Sierra uniforms look like proper uniforms meant to get dirty, to keep you warm and relatively safe, etc.

The Antares uniforms that have the hexagons looks a lot like it's made of the same material current soccer shirts are made of, a really tough, highly resistant material. The Sierra uniforms seem to be made of some sort of leather synthetic. They look simple and utilitarian to me, not to mention elegant.

Please don't be such a hardcore grognard. The old Trek uniforms were somewhat pretty, but rather stupid. Starship engineers who are exposed to things like hot plasma etc don't wear protective clothes just because STarfleet makes them look good in their standard non-protective uniforms.
  • Options
    dom1941dom1941 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    They look nothing like Mass Effect costumes. The old ST uniforms, while sleek, were... a bit silly, because they're not really utilitarian. The Antares and Sierra uniforms look like proper uniforms meant to get dirty, to keep you warm and relatively safe, etc.

The Antares uniforms that have the hexagons looks a lot like it's made of the same material current soccer shirts are made of, a really tough, highly resistant material. The Sierra uniforms seem to be made of some sort of leather synthetic. They look simple and utilitarian to me, not to mention elegant.

Please don't be such a hardcore grognard. The old Trek uniforms were somewhat pretty, but rather stupid. Starship engineers who are exposed to things like hot plasma etc don't wear protective clothes just because STarfleet makes them look good in their standard non-protective uniforms.

I agree. where do you see a "Mass Effect" resmblenceb esides the shape? I like the Sierra uniforms. Though Jupitor now has it outclassed and may be outclass by the next gen. of unifroms like the Oddey.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    When it comes to hexagons on the uniform, on ships, or anywhere else in the game, I personally blame Champions Online.

Going back in time, when STO first launched -- the cover shield uses the exact same graphics as one of the forcefield blocking powers in Champions Online. Orange honeycomb hexagons. I kept expecting the cover shield graphic in STO to be changed -- basically I thought it was a placeholder that was using the Champions Online graphic.

But apparently it wasn't a placeholder. People in Star Trek use the exact same technology as they do in Champions Online (apparently).

And the orange honeycomb hexagons wasn't just for the cover shield, it was also for the forcefield bubble in the engie kits.

And it kind of just spread from there, like a disease. After a period of time, you saw the hexagons elsewhere. You saw it on uniforms. You saw it on the hull plating of ships with the MACO shield equipped. You saw it in the deflector effects. You saw hexagons in the asynchronous warp field of the MACO engines in sector space.

Hexagons everywhere. They've spread from what was originally a Champions Online visual effect that was ported over to Star Trek Online... to being a part of multiple technologies and clothing in this game.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Would be interesting to see a rolled up sleeve option sold similar to the open jacket option.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    xigbarg wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see a rolled up sleeve option sold similar to the open jacket option.

Agreed It wouldbe cool for science officers and engineers. I am mostly ok with the ingame uniforms some of the antares uniforms i dislike and im no big fan of the faux leather uniforms they are designed to look good in hd and they do.
  • Options
    wilkinson7wilkinson7 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013

If you go and look up the current uniforms of the U.S. Navy's engineers, you will see that they wear simple cloth coveralls, with a t-shirt underneath, and black oil-resistant combat boots. The Navy's engineers in real life work with dangerous materials, hot oils, steam so highly pressurized it can cut you in half, fast moving parts of engines, etc. And yet an engineer's coveralls are made of a slightly thick cloth, and nothing more. In fact, the standard working uniform of all sailors on board today's ships are the NWU (cloth) camouflaged fatigues, or the blue (cloth) coveralls, with the same black boots. I guarantee you the working environment on today's Navy ships is far more hazardous than the clean, ergonomic, spacious interiors of Star Trek's starships. If the sailors in real life can make it wearing just cloth, so can the ones in Star Trek.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    artan42 wrote: »
    And Gordi in the films.
    And Be'lanna Torres I believe. Plush she had a pocket for her engineering tool kit.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Who said they weren't protective? :rolleyes: