test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dear Cryptic Team, A VERY serious proposal.

voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Dear Cryptic Team,
I started playing this game when F2P launched, and less then a week later I was level 50, then again on my next character, and again, and again, okay think you get the point. Obviously I've been at the endgame content for awhile now, and I would like to propose a radical idea.
My idea is that after season 8 is launched you delay the planned season 9 for one full season. The whole purpose behind these "seasons" is that you give more content to the end game players, well no offense but end game content has been nothing more than grinding, and really to be honest starts getting really boring after the first week or two. This is where my idea comes into play. Instead of the planned season 9 why not finally take the time to develop the poker mini-game and some other mini-games, revamp ship interiors and functionality, fix the errors with the exchange and really just give yourselves some breathing room to really iron out all of the bugs and little things you've wanted to get done/finished but haven't had the time to.
Personally as an everyday (and I do mean literally everyday) player I really won't mind the delay of a season for this. With the Rep System, Fleet progression system, the normal everyday grind, special events and everything else, this really would be the perfect time to do it. We would have the new content from season 8 plus everything else I just mentioned so it would really give you some time to work on overall game improving additions and changes.
I can honestly say that I am probably one of the few players that really understands the amount of hardship you had right from the start of acquiring the rights to the game and then unrealistic deadlines and then the change in ownership and then on top of that the migration to F2P. I'm sure there's a huge list of things that have been put on the back burner or never even started simply because you are trying to give us end-game players more to do. I greatly appreciate your efforts to continually add new content for us, but please take a break from that and really add in some of the more dynamic aspects of this game that I'm sure all of you would love to see as much as we would.
It is my sincere hope that enough of my fellow players will see this and truly show their support for this idea, and even give some constructive ideas as to what they would realistically like to see added if this were to be done. And on that note I ask, I challenge my fellow STO players to really seriously consider what small things they would like to see added,changed that could be done within the time period of a season that would make their overall STO experience more dynamic, diverse, and in all more enjoyable.
Thank you for your time and attention, and in advance to all players and development staff that give their constructive feedback on this proposal.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by voicesdark on

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I absolutely hate it when devs delay content. If a specific piece of content is ready, then it should be released. Not released a couple of months from now. Considering that minigames and ship interiors don't require the full team to do, then they should be released when they are ready not by taking priority over other important content. Besides customizable ship interiors are waiting on tech from Neverwinter so the STO team has to wait for it to be transferred to them and adapt it from a medieval setting for creating dungeons to a Star Trek setting for creating ship interiors.
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    I absolutely hate it when devs delay content. If a specific piece of content is ready, then it should be released. Not released a couple of months from now. Considering that minigames and ship interiors don't require the full team to do, then they should be released when they are ready not by taking priority over other important content. Besides customizable ship interiors are waiting on tech from Neverwinter so the STO team has to wait for it to be transferred to them and adapt it from a medieval setting for creating dungeons to a Star Trek setting for creating ship interiors.

umm think you need to reread my post. I was not talking about delaying season 8, rather that they delay whatever was planned for season 9 which wouldn't be developed yet. I was referring to a lot more than just mini-games, again actually re-read it thoroughly and slower this time. I also mentioned bug fixes and many other things. the whole "waiting on x,y,z from Neverwinter" is a bs line for why interiors haven't been improved, and really you think they're just going to add customization interiors without some type of grind fest, functionality not customization through grinding. Again please re read my original post and slower this time so you read the whole thing and not just skim through it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Made no mention of Season 8 or Season 9. All I said was delaying any content is a bad idea. Having a Season focused on really minor things rather than the usual some bug fixes, some minor additions, and new content would make too many players annoyed. Especially when KDF players have being asking for 1-50 content and others have been asking for a 3rd faction. Most players are rabid for new and exciting content. Whether the Neverwinter thing is true or not, I have no idea, but it makes sense. After all, why have 2 MMOs owned by the same company do the exact same thing.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm curious as to why you think your proposal is any more 'serious' than anyone else's?
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    While I commend you on your thoughts, I don't see it happening.

It would be great if they worked on what must be an ever growing list of wish list items. I know several people would love to have beachwear for Risa, etc. But the reality of a MMOs is that doing these things is very tricky.

For every player that is like you, and willing to wait for the big stuff for little improvements, There are probably ten or twenty people who are bored with what there is currently, since they have done it all, and want more to do. It is a never ending cycle.

This is why these wish list items remain wish list items for as long as they do. At the end of the day, Video game development is a business, and like any other that means they need to make money. Making money means meeting the needs of the playerbase, which unfortunately are always going to cry for more content, So much of the development resources end up going to adding more content rather then fun little cool stuff, which gets backlogged.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    POKER ??
    we have FTP players (most of them under 18)
    gambling under 18 is illegal
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    jamesburtchelljamesburtchell Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ummm how about a season for mainly KDF so we can get a full faction level 1 to max then work on the mini games
    The Emperor isn't please with Cryptic apparent lack of progress for the Empire. Lord Vader is on his way
  • Options
    travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ummm how about a season for mainly KDF so we can get a full faction level 1 to max then work on the mini games

That's what Season 8 is supposed to be. However, the KDF community is not terribly enthusiastic about Cryptic's promises, imo.
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am befuddled that people would rather pile on more things on a sinking ship than to take the time to seal the damn hull breaches first.

Hope you like drowning!
  • Options
    flotahispanaflotahispana Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Sorry mate, but this game need urgent endgame content. Starbases and Reputation aren't actual end-game content, cause fill some menus with credits and items is not gaming at all. And they've already wasted two seasson with it.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    voicesdark wrote: »
    -lots of stuff I agree with-

Not much to add to that really. It need lots of patches from "thats how it really should be" department instead of "It does not break the game anymore so we can jump to the next thing" department.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Holy Wall of Text!

There is no way I'm reading through that from beginning to end, but the basic gist I'm getting is that you A: Want to slow the leveling process down so it takes longer to get to Level 50 and B: Stop whatever they're doing and make minigames and bug fixes.

Honestly, I hope they don't take this seriously.

What you're asking is not bad, I just don't see it happening. At least not this way.
  • Options
    kagurazaka77kagurazaka77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    sollvax wrote: »
    POKER ??
    we have FTP players (most of them under 18)
    gambling under 18 is illegal

What do you think Dabo is, bucko?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    500 years in the future and we still look like schmucks when getting our ID photos taken...
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Good points, and bad.

I agree with the idea that Cryptic should take more time with their season updates, some of the problems relating to S7 could have been avoided if they just took the time to fix bugs and double check everything before release (listening to feedback would've helped too).

I do not agree that they should spend all this time with minigames and fluff. I am BORED of minigames and fluff. I'd happily wait twice as long for a season if it added a new faction, a new collection of episodes, revamped PvP...or indeed this mythical Klingon faction update. Hell I'd appreciate a whole season dedicated to properly fixing what we have now before jamming in new features.

Of course it is all about compromise, and most players refuse to wait any longer then they have to for new stuff - even if it is novelty items or locations that wear off after a week. I can't blame Cryptic, they need to cater for the people who pay them so they don't have a choice.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What do you think Dabo is, bucko?

Of dubious legality at best
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Poker? I'm in for Poker, and before anyone (even though they have already) shouts "gambling, it's illegal" I'd ask that you take two things into consideration.

#1 We have lock boxes and master keys. They are just as much gambling as would be for Dilithium/Zen on a Poker Table.

#2 They can code a Poker game to only allow Energy Credits and Latinium as the currency, thus saving your precious dilithium and zen, thus not breaking any laws.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    lordhooklordhook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    coupaholic wrote: »
    Good points, and bad.

I do not agree that they should spend all this time with minigames and fluff. I am BORED of minigames and fluff. I'd happily wait twice as long for a season if it added a new faction, a new collection of episodes, revamped PvP...or indeed this mythical Klingon faction update. Hell I'd appreciate a whole season dedicated to properly fixing what we have now before jamming in new features.

I agree with you, new faction, new collection of episodes and revamped PvP (OMG the forbidden world PvP and sieges to all players starbase?s)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jamesburtchelljamesburtchell Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    That's what Season 8 is supposed to be. However, the KDF community is not terribly enthusiastic about Cryptic's promises, imo.

No i'm not to be honest. why? because we were suppose to have a full faction a long time ago with content and everything if i'm right
    The Emperor isn't please with Cryptic apparent lack of progress for the Empire. Lord Vader is on his way
  • Options
    startrekronstartrekron Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for a well thought out plan instead of the typical nerd rage we see here.

I'd say to turn this into season 8.5 which would make fixes and complete features or just make it a part of season 9.
    "Live Long and Prosper but always carry a fully charged phaser, just in case!". Arrr'ow

Co-Leader of Serenity's Grasp