test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need help with Combat Log... thanks for seeing if you can help.

cyberpapacyberpapa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in The Academy
I'm still fairly new, just a few weeks of play.. as many hours as family will let me. X-D
I just leveled to Commander, and my first Gorn fight against the one of their ships; I experienced something I've never seen. My shields were doing fine, I thought I was making headway against the ship when all of a sudden... I started taking heavy hull damage, I went for 100 to 75, then 50 in a matter of a few seconds... maybe thirty (seemed like 10). I evasive maneuvered away as fast as I could and I finally got far enough away that my Science Team was able to get some repairs done on the hull.

But, what happened? I captured the log, and have pasted the combat log starting at 75% hull and down to 50%. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what was going on, and what I was doing wrong. As I sped away, I kept at the enemy Gorn ship with my aft beams and finally destroyed him... but, close up... I was getting hammered. This period shown was just before I started to escape and put some distance between us.

Any help is much appreciated:

[System] [CombatAlert] Captain, our hull is at 75%!

Zilant Battleship's Photon Torpedo dealt 655 (2986) shield damage to you.

Zilant Battleship deals 332 (3384) Kinetic Damage to you with Photon Torpedo.

Your Phaser Array dealt 221 (257) shield damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Phaser Array deals 29 (285) Phaser Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Zilant Battleship deals 294 Plasma Damage to you with Warp Plasma.

Your Phaser Array dealt 227 (264) shield damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Phaser Array deals 29 (293) Phaser Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Phaser Array dealt 248 (289) shield damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Phaser Array deals 32 (321) Phaser Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Zilant Battleship's Disruptor Array dealt 138 (200) shield damage to you.

Zilant Battleship deals 22 (222) Disruptor Damage to you with Disruptor Array.

Zilant Battleship deals 279 Plasma Damage to you with Warp Plasma.

Your Polarized Disruptor Array dealt 244 (284) shield damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Polarized Disruptor Array deals 32 (315) Disruptor Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Phaser Array dealt 240 (279) shield damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Phaser Array deals 31 (310) Phaser Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Zilant Battleship deals 279 Plasma Damage to you with Warp Plasma.

Zilant Battleship deals 312 Plasma Damage to you with Warp Plasma.

Zilant Battleship deals 312 Plasma Damage to you with Warp Plasma.

Zilant Battleship deals 318 Plasma Damage to you with Warp Plasma.

Zilant Battleship deals 302 Plasma Damage to you with Warp Plasma.

Zilant Battleship's Disruptor Array dealt 147 (213) shield damage to you.

Zilant Battleship deals 24 (237) Disruptor Damage to you with Disruptor Array.

Your Phaser Beam Array - Fire at Will II dealt 383 (446) shield damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Phaser Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 50 (495) Phaser Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Zilant Battleship deals 302 Plasma Damage to you with Warp Plasma.

Zilant Battleship deals 287 Plasma Damage to you with Warp Plasma.

Your Disruptor Beam Array - Fire at Will II dealt 318 (369) shield damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Disruptor Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 41 (411) Disruptor Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Disruptor Beam Array - Fire at Will II dealt 106 (124) shield damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Disruptor Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 291 (415) Disruptor Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Zilant Battleship deals 287 Plasma Damage to you with Warp Plasma.

Zilant Battleship deals 300 Plasma Damage to you with Warp Plasma.

Your Phaser Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 406 Phaser Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Phaser Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 453 Phaser Damage to Zilant Battleship.

920 shield damage was dealt to your Emergency Power to Shields I.

Your Disruptor Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 357 Disruptor Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Phaser Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 411 Phaser Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Phaser Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 391 Phaser Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Zilant Battleship deals 300 Plasma Damage to you with Warp Plasma.

Your Phaser Beam Array - Fire at Will II dealt 190 (221) shield damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Phaser Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 122 (344) Phaser Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Phaser Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 426 Phaser Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Disruptor Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 323 Disruptor Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Phaser Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 341 Phaser Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Phaser Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 362 Phaser Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Disruptor Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 324 Disruptor Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Your Phaser Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 347 Phaser Damage to Zilant Battleship.

Zilant Battleship deals 294 Plasma Damage to you with Warp Plasma.

Your Phaser Beam Array - Fire at Will II deals 298 Phaser Damage to Zilant Battleship.

[System] [CombatAlert] Captain, our hull is at 50%!

I've read this over and over, and I'm just not sure what was going on... As a Science vessel, I don't see any Science Team buffs here... but they start up on the way down to 25% hull before I get far enough away to start to recover. Perhaps I should have started my Science team working sooner.

I use a key bind file script to set up my attack & defense sequences... and I had the Science team set up on my "brace for impact, evasive maneuvers.. etc. bind. Perhaps not the best place.
I basically have three major bindings regulating ship core...
1st. Some early buffs, hazard emitters, balance shields (in case I don't have time to balance), Attack mode.
2nd Later buffs, Jam Targeting,(Did have science team here, moved it back after this attack, was moved when I upgraded ship and promoted crew and forgot to lock tray (maybe this was the problem)
3rd Defense power mode, evasive, rear shields, etc.

Thanks for your help.
FED Vice Admiral Gervnd USS Singularity
KDF Commander Inuni IKS Ornovus
ROM Centurion Aer RRW Scientology :cool:
Post edited by cyberpapa on

Comments

• raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Looks like most of the damage you took was from the battleship using Eject Warp Plasma. That will do some damage to your ship and cause a plasma fire DoT (can clear with Hazard Emitters), but is left as a trail behind the ship (it's a greenish cloud), so say out of its aft quarter if possible.

Be careful of keybinding more than one slot to a key. In some cases it will only activate one item, so you'll have to press multiple times. Talk to someone who knows more about binding than me.

Also, Science Team repairs shields. You want Engineering team for hull repairs (also Auxillary to Structural integrity is an instant heal and Hazard Emitters is a heal over time, both are based off Aux power unlike engineering team, but they also give a hull resist bonus). Teams are instant heals, so hitting one earlier just means you are healed earlier, it won;'t
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Take hazard emitters off the keybind and do not use it until you start taking hull damage and/or to remove bad effects like enemy plasma and you should be good.

Also, Tactical Team will help to redistribute you shields quickly and efficiently.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You flew into the big greenish cloud the Gorn ship ejected. That is the BOFF ability Eject Warp Plasma. And you've seen first hand why it is something to avoid. Eject Warp Plasma is a snare type ability which will slow your speed and turning immensely. And it does hull damage which bypasses your shields.

Defense is to not fly into to it or even get near it. It's area of affect it a bit larger then the graphics imply. If are caught in it it, use Hazard Emitters if you have it. Divert full power to your engines (Speed Power profile) and hit Evasive Manuevers to get out of the Warp Plasma asap.
  • cyberpapacyberpapa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thanks everyone for the information; that's very helpful and explains everything. I definately remember the green cloud! I did manage to dispel it with my Hazard emitters, and the science team did do the repairs to my hull fairly quickly. So, by running, I was in front of the ship, as it chased me, and avoided the aft Eject Warp Plasma... nasty stuff... indeed I want to avoid it.
    Raptor: I'm actually a good programmer, and have the multiple key press down. I'll take your advice about my remove and repair effects and bind them separately to another key so I can time them better when they're really needed. I've decided to put some Torpedo's as one of my aft weapons so I can smack harder when running away. I was suprised to find as I ran away I was able to beat the ship; but the head on approach I did with the Klingon's was failing miserably. I could run circles around the Gorn ship, and know now to say away from their back end!

For me, the multiple key binds are an abosolute necessity. I went from being able to slowly beat down ships to taking on a whole armada after doing the keybinds; so, I'll be loathe to give them up. But, I've noticed as the game progress and also my skills, I will need to make several keybinds, and ship setups based on the enemy. I guess I'll have to learn the hard way, how to set up for that.

I'm in the middle of the time-travel episode and am experiencing first hand how wonderful this game can get. I was scared witless with my first encounter with the Davidians. There's nothing like being held in the air and being able to do nothing, until I discoverd I can dispel the holds.

I'm still learning the ins and outs of setting up the proper duty officers as active for use in buffing the ship. I don't have alot of money to buy Zen; and although I don't hate farming, like to avoid too much of it as it intereferes with the game. But, in all the online MMO's, I've found STO much to my likeing and fitting of my style. I prefer thinking games over brute force FPS and this fits the bill. I've already begun exploring the foundry, and upgraded my account so I can play with that. I'm looking forward to continued play, and you folks have really come through for me. I love to return time, for time helped and give back to the community. As my skills grow, and my knowledge of the game improves, I hope everyone can look forward to my foundry submissions and some additional enjoyment.

I've been programming for over 40 years, and so expect to be pushing the boundries of the IDE in foundry anytime soon, playing some of the foundry games, and experiencing some of the sophistocation and variability of the Episodes fills me with hope as I look forward to unleashing my programming skills.
    I've been known in the past to write some epic programs and once really into it and familiar with the restraints of the system can code upwards of 2000 words a day or more, or several pages of code.

I do find the foundry a little cllunky, and I see it's only in <1.0 release form; there's a lot of improvement to be made.

Also, I forgot to lock my tray, and when I upgraded I lost all my keybinds as they're based on the HUD layout and location of my skills in the tray. A lesson I won't soon forget. And so, in the community, I make my first suggestion. Auto re-lock for the tray. I would like to have my tray set to auto re-lock every time after I exit the skills menu. That way, If I forget, the auto-lock feature will prevent the game from modifying my tray. I think this is an oversite of the developers, as I'm sure none of them really think that the game knows best how I manage my keyboard and key binds. It's presumptious to assume I want them to rework with apparent randomness the location of my skills in the tray. This has to be an oversite on their part; and the fix will be simple.

Again, thanks all; and I look forward to seeing everyone around. I'm interested in learning more about the KDF and Fleet. So far, I'm a loner; mostly because I never think my skills are sufficient to be of benefit to a 'team'. But, I feel I need to get over that. Anyone who could help with my learning about KDF, and the Fleet; please let me know... That help will also be much appreciated. Although, I have seen indications that I may be jumping the gun; my skill level may be too low for those things. KDF that is, the fleet maybe something for me to consider, if I can find the right fit. I plan on following the Science Vessel route the whole way, and need to understand what will be expected with my role as a science vessel, and what path to follow.

Everyone, have a happy, and safe NEW YEAR! Let us all rejoice in the failure of the world to end. As Marvin the Martian once said, "Where's the Kaboom!"

wheres-the-kaboom-theres-supposed-to-be-an-earth-shattering-kaboom-marvin-the-martian-12-21-12.jpg
    FED Vice Admiral Gervnd USS Singularity
    KDF Commander Inuni IKS Ornovus
    ROM Centurion Aer RRW Scientology :cool: