test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The time has come for a new animated series

betawatcherbetawatcher Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited January 2013 in Ten Forward
Whether you like it or not, "JJ-Trek" is the future of the Trek franchise. However, seeing as how these actors are busy with other projects, it is very unlikely they would ever be cast in a Trek TV series. Fortunately, animation has gotten very good over the years.

For these reasons, I say it is time for a new animated series. Basically, the TV series would recognize the events of the movies, and take place in between them. As long as they found decent voice actors who sounded like the main cast, the rest could be animation.

Thoughts?
Post edited by betawatcher on

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I liked TAS sure it had a lot of weird plots, but so did TOS....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • brigadooombrigadooom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I always wished they had done an amiated series detailing the adventures of the Enterprise and DS9 crew, and perhaps Voy crew, with the original cast doing voicework. :(
    ----
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • walkincrowwalkincrow Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I would love to see a new Trek animated series, but only if it is directed towards a mature audience with an adult storyline.

I agree, animation has gotten better and has gained a larger adult following over the last decade. Animation would have allot of advantages over a live action show, especially when it comes to special effects costs.

Unfortunately, allot of people can't get past the fact that's it's a cartoon and prefer live action. But most of our major movies come from comic books and we are playing video games that are glorified interactive animated stories. To me animation is just another medium to tell a story, and story is the most important thing.
    edited December 2012
    walkincrow wrote: »
    I would love to see a new Trek animated series, but only if it is directed towards a mature audience with an adult storyline.

I agree, animation has gotten better and has gained a larger adult following over the last decade. Animation would have allot of advantages over a live action show, especially when it comes to special effects costs.

Unfortunately, allot of people can't get past the fact that's it's a cartoon and prefer live action. But most of our major movies come from comic books and we are playing video games that are glorified interactive animated stories. To me animation is just another medium to tell a story, and story is the most important thing.
    Funny thing is... animation was originally used for just that. Many of the old Bugs Bunny cartoons don't make sense to children. They have a lot of humor things that are outside the scope of what children understand.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If done properly, I think it could work well :) I really enjoyed the original Clone Wars series, as it perfectly bridged the gap between AotC and RotS (to be honest, I was disappointed in RotS by how crippled Grievous had become, compared to his prowess in the Clone Wars...) However, it has to be done right, and not re-hashed like Lucas did with the later Clone Wars episodes which totally butchered the continuity... Then again, he was willing to sell the dignity of Master Yoda out to Vodafone, I doubt he actually cared anymore about the work he had created, as I suspect he already knew he would be selling it on to Disney... :rolleyes:

Golden Rules for a new Animated Series:
    - No retconning established events unless it is truly story worthy, like the TOS/D-S9 episode)
    - No input whatsoever from Brannon Braga.

That is all...
  • fencer8fencer8 Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Wasn't that what that web based series was to be? C.G.I. and people to be integrated to produce an even more in-depth trek experience.
  • admgreeradmgreer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    How about a series about section 31. The Darker grittier side of the Federation. Use the U.S.S Monitor as the setting. For you that are not familiar the Monitor was a black painted stealth defiant class with illegal wepons and technology used for the Section to carry out covert missions.
  • walkincrowwalkincrow Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If done properly, I think it could work well :) I really enjoyed the original Clone Wars series

I was never a big SW fan, but I tried to catch the original Clone Wars series whenever I could. I thought it had a good story and great action. I also really liked the animated style it was done in. Tuned in for a few episodes of the newer version, but it wasn't anywhere near as good.
    Golden Rules for a new Animated Series:
    - No retconning established events unless it is truly story worthy, like the TOS/D-S9 episode)
    - No input whatsoever from Brannon Braga.

That is all...

Agree 100% with that.
  • reinawattreinawatt Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If a new animated Trek series appeared, it would probably be an animated series of the Abrams junk and turn out like Stargate Infinity did.

True Trek is too complicated for many today, many want lens flare, lots of CGI, no story, badly written characters and constant action to appeal to their impatient natures.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    reinawatt wrote: »
    If a new animated Trek series appeared, it would probably be an animated series of the Abrams junk and turn out like Stargate Infinity did.

True Trek is too complicated for many today, many want lens flare, lots of CGI, no story, badly written characters and constant action to appeal to their impatient natures.

Not.... necessarily.... I've been tossing around ideas for a Star Trek based animated series. I have all the characters planned out, and even a handful of episodes written. I've never shown these to a soul, but if enough people are interested, I would be willing to share them here. :)
  • hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    A JJ-Trek cartoon would be so easy to animate. Just move some lens flare around on the screen, add some dialog...such as it is...and boom, instant show. :P
  • archofwinterarchofwinter Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Have one setting in the Prime universe post Hobus Super Nover. So new audience attracted to Trek from JJ can get into the Prime universe much quicker.
    Limited series, so it won't go longer than 2 season, so the show can focus on one over arching story arc that will keep the attention of audience. Using the success and new fan base of this show to kick off a more traditional yet modern life-action Trek series.

Out source the animation to Japan since they do the job cheaper (the average animator working for an anime studio get paid less than the average fast food worker in Japan). Also, the whole anime thing is getting more and more popular here so you can get the younger crowd into the Prime universe. This might also make exporting to other countries easier.
    Also, Star Trek has a nice following in Japan already, the coolest Star Trek merchandise and the most detailed ship model kits are from Japanese companies.

Aim the story for a 12 - 30 age group. Teens to young adult.
    This will be easier to market merchandises and video game adaptations. I would love to see a Starfleet Figma action figure.

Have a new primary group of characters with no history in the cannon so there won't be extensive back story for the audience to dig up but DO have plenty of cameo from existing characters and their respective actors.
    Also, since this is animation with no cost for alien make ups, the crew has to be more diverse in terms of alien variety, even have some non-humanoid aliens.

Must have a new ship since this is 30 years after Nemesis and each new series has a new ship.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Not.... necessarily.... I've been tossing around ideas for a Star Trek based animated series. I have all the characters planned out, and even a handful of episodes written. I've never shown these to a soul, but if enough people are interested, I would be willing to share them here. :)
    Definitely! Would love to see what you've come up with :)
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I thinknit would be a good idea. But use the trek we love and know TNG , DS9 , VOY, not the jj shhhh . We need simple but modern ships, and interiors just like the seris mentiojed before and related films. No more massive tanks labbelled with radioactivity which is not Star Trek . I am REALLY FOR THIS!!!!!
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
    edited December 2012
    Actully ... This has totally appealed to me! If you think about it, STO is a sort of animated seris. WE NEED THAT SERIS . PLEASE MAKE IT REALITY
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

• sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Get Dreamworks to do it and don't let ANYONE from JJ verse within 50 miles
    Live long and Prosper
    edited December 2012
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    Actully ... This has totally appealed to me! If you think about it, STO is a sort of animated seris. WE NEED THAT SERIS . PLEASE MAKE IT REALITY

My idea takes place around more or less the same time as STO, and I will attempt to explain some of the wonkier things in game, or at least make them less silly. :P
    edited December 2012
    My idea takes place around more or less the same time as STO, and I will attempt to explain some of the wonkier things in game, or at least make them less silly. :P

That sounds like a much needed thing
    sollvax wrote: »
    Get Dreamworks to do it and don't let ANYONE from JJ verse within 50 miles

Ha ha! Much agreed there sir!

• maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    walkincrow wrote: »

If it's done anime style it would be excellent, if not, sorry not interested in the Simpsons in space, I can watch Futurama for that. The CGI Star Wars Clone Wars are pretty good, though it would be better if they didn't make the characters caricatures of the actors.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited December 2012
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    That sounds like a much needed thing

Indeed. :cool:
    edited December 2012
    If we want a screwed up show then let Disney do it. Mickey in space. Or else get the masters of C.G.I. to do it with real trek writes.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Disney Trek??

Captain arrives on bridge he smiles (ting off teeth)
    "lt take us out of space dock"

Sulu smiles back (ting) small chipmunk sits on his shoulder "aye captain "

Enterprise lurches out of spacedock narrowly avoiding a volkswagon beetle a couple of cartoon elephants and a duck cleaning the windows in a diving suit

also it would have racist overtones and inappropriate relationships between characters

So not that much better than jj
    Live long and Prosper
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Disney has done some non-kiddie animation stuff recently thats turned out pretty good. Tron: Uprising and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Its not all Mickey Mouse and Phineas & Ferb (though a Klingon General D'Oof might be amusing).

Plus to those complaining about family-oriented studios trying their hand at something more adult, I would simply point to Jim Henson Studios. They wanted to show they could be more intellectual than the Muppets, and thus we got Farscape.
    edited December 2012
    Ah, yes. Now everyone will be dressed like the seven dwarfs, Snow white, Cinderella, Tinker Bell, Captain Hook, The Evil Queens, Micky, Mindy, Donald, Goofy, The hordes of extras.
    edited January 2013
    As unsettling as that thought is, the idea of John de Lancie in Captain Hook gear is highly amusing. :D
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I wish they would have produced this: http://www.startrekff.com/ . Animation allows for the art design to go wild it doesn,t have the budget constraints that live action has thus the aliens can be even more otherworldly, the settings can be bigger and bolder etc. A real disappointment this never happened.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
    edited January 2013
    I wish they would have produced this: http://www.startrekff.com/ . Animation allows for the art design to go wild it doesn,t have the budget constraints that live action has thus the aliens can be even more otherworldly, the settings can be bigger and bolder etc. A real disappointment this never happened.
    I loved what they did with it in TAS. :D The Aquans were awesome!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing