test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If You're Playing Lots of Foundry Missions for the First Time...

2»

Comments

• grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    zahinder wrote: »
    Stupid question, but if you leave a mission halfway through, does any progress get saved?

That's been my biggest reluctance toward doing multihour missions. (I have no problem otherwise -- again, my love of Foundry is for _STORY_, not phat lewt)

Didn't use to. But today while fixing my mission, the server crashed and booted me with only 2 text boxes before completion. When I logged back in and started the mission (note I didn't drop the mission and pick it up again), I had to load through each map up to the last one, but each map was complete, so as soon as you loaded it, the transition to next map dialogue appeared. Never encountered that before, and never tried it on another mission, but if that is a widespread thing, it's a beautiful thing. The last map had to be started again from it's begining, but at least the others didn't.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    priapus1 wrote: »
    i havent played any because the wait time is so long. im the type that gets bored faily quickly and just sitting there waiting really annoys me. so i typically exit the que and find something else to do.

???? Are you thinking of fleet actions here? There is no waiting with foundry, unless you mean the time of sector space travel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    defcon1776 wrote: »
    It appears that some missions have been 'loot nerfed'. Several missions that were dropping pretty good loot now drop nothing.

I really doubt this has been done. You probably just had a string of bad odds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It appears that some missions have been 'loot nerfed'. Several missions that were dropping pretty good loot now drop nothing.

There's a limit to how much exp and loot you get from killing mobs per day in the Foundry.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Correct and cunfurmed. I played Battleship Royal Rumble three times, got loot, and then all of sudden I didn't get a single drop anymore for two more full rounds from any battleship.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Correct and cunfurmed. I played Battleship Royal Rumble three times, got loot, and then all of sudden I didn't get a single drop anymore for two more full rounds from any battleship.

It should reset when the "day" timer flips. Same timer as the dilithium refining one.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    hippiejon wrote: »
    I have noted that when designing a mission, a lot of authors tend to design toward the player without the leet skills and great gear, often times making it almost too easy for someone with good gear and skills.

My inclination is to go the other way with it and make combats difficult where I can.
    I want to force you to respawn ... at least once.
    I want getting through my fights without respawning to mean that you are indeed a bad mother f'er.
    I can't handle my own fights sometimes.

I do think that overall designing for the player who doesn't have the best stuffs is probably better than my approach, I'm just a jerk :)
    Play with that respawn button, ya babies :)
    Hehe.... I have enough practice in ground PvE that I can brutally maul Dahar masters. :D

If you want fun... try doing B'Vat's Legacy.... and wiping out the klingons. Hehe....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • bullschizzybullschizzy Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    bareel wrote: »
    On the difficulty thing that will be impossible to please everyone.

Keep in mind the average PuG takes nearly 15 minutes to do ISE, the easiest of the space stfs. The really good groups can do CSE in under 5 minutes the fomerly most difficult one.

The disparity between a good build as far as boffs and equipment choices go and a bad build is so large it is unreal. Then take into account the extra 10-20 % effectiveness gear can give you and yeah.

then toss in Branflakes saying the average playtime is 15-20 min. so a foundry mission will qualify, means that the mission should need to be around 40 min long for bad build players so the players with good builds can get something out of the Officer Report Daily mission other wise the mission gets canned for the daily.
    "buying a subscription to STO is a lot like feeding pigeons, you give them food, they give you.......well you know":rolleyes:
    edited December 2012
    litchy74 wrote: »
    Well done to the devs, this change is great and my fed toons love playing a little rescue mission called 'The Corsiars'. Great mission with space combat and a great little story, a neat twist in one encounter as well. Can't remember the author but better than a lot of the patrol mission.:)

yeah, was a fun mission, too bad they desided that it doesn't qualify for the daily mission anymore. Wont be long till the only missions that qualify will be the "epic 1.5 hr adventures"
    "buying a subscription to STO is a lot like feeding pigeons, you give them food, they give you.......well you know":rolleyes:
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    zahinder wrote: »
    Stupid question, but if you leave a mission halfway through, does any progress get saved?

That's been my biggest reluctance toward doing multihour missions. (I have no problem otherwise -- again, my love of Foundry is for _STORY_, not phat lewt)

It does, to a certain extent. You still have to load through each map, but upon loading it should automatically give you the box to load the next map if you've already completed it. Anything on the map you are on gets lost, however.
  • sirepicalsirepical Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I enjoy doing Foundry missions for not only the loot, of course, but in a lot of cases the story. If I want combat I do what Cryptic makes, if I want an interesting story I try the Foundry.

My favorite of the many that I've done is City of the Polmar Ree, which I did before it was ever spotlighted (shortly after it was made). That is one amazing mission if you don't care about combat and have approximately 2 hours. I've done it twice, some of the most fun I've ever had on a computer.
    It's a fair bit of fun and thank goodness they've tied a decent source of FMs into something on a feasible timescale, but it's a bit lame that missions stop dropping items after a few runs. It's not so much that I'm greedy as that I want to feel materially justified in spending my time not doing Borg stuff or whatever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • squonkmansquonkman Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I've played two story-driven missions so far. They both were pretty thin, felt heavily scripted and linear. There were ZERO element of surprise and ZERO choice that would change the outcome of the mission. It may be because of engine limitation and I admit the stories were close to be on par with what Cryptic has released (that's not necesseraly good) but unfortunately none of the foundry missions offers "special rewards".

So what's left of interest? The mapping. And the best map I've seen so far was from a mindless shooting mission.

I hope that the "big-shot authors" won't go whine to Cryptic to prevent those shooters from counting for Officer Report because I feel that those are the only ones that I'll play from the foundry.
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    squonkman wrote: »
    I've played two story-driven missions so far. They both were pretty thin, felt heavily scripted and linear. There were ZERO element of surprise and ZERO choice that would change the outcome of the mission. It may be because of engine limitation and I admit the stories were close to be on par with what Cryptic has released (that's not necesseraly good) but unfortunately none of the foundry missions offers "special rewards".

So what's left of interest? The mapping. And the best map I've seen so far was from a mindless shooting mission.

I hope that the "big-shot authors" won't go whine to Cryptic to prevent those shooters from counting for Officer Report because I feel that those are the only ones that I'll play from the foundry.

The great thing about the Foundry is diversity. Some like action missions. Some like story missions. Some hate one or the other. One person may think a given mission is the best in the Foundry, while another thinks it's the worst ever created. In my opinion almost all Foundry missions that focus on story (as opposed to just being combat) have better stories than all but the very best Cryptic missions, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Anyway, I don't think you need to worry about anyone advocating to nerf combat oriented missions. For the most part, I think Foundry authors in general are supportive and respectful of one another's works. There's no reason for us to be fighting with other people over what they make, because there's nothing stopping us from doing our own thing (of course it's possible I'm just naive).

Not to mention, I think you overestimate our sway with Cryptic. They don't listen to us as much as you'd think. ;)

The only thing is those of us with longer missions would like it if the reward would scale a bit more so that we were more on-par with the shorter missions. That being said this has all been a major improvement from how things were before, so while I think improvements could be made, I don't have any complaints.
    edited December 2012
    nagorak wrote: »

Anyway, I don't think you need to worry about anyone advocating to nerf combat oriented missions. For the most part, I think Foundry authors in general are supportive and respectful of one another's works. There's no reason for us to be fighting with other people over what they make, because there's nothing stopping us from doing our own thing (of course it's possible I'm just naive).

Not to mention, I think you overestimate our sway with Cryptic. They don't listen to us as much as you'd think. ;)

I agree. Diversity is a great thing. We have missions that range from deadly serious and grim social commentary to one I played tonight called "Orions-A-Go-Go!" which was utterly silly but fun. I really have no problem with the shooter missions.

My only real disappointment right now is that players may not really be exploring the Foundry and its diversity, but instead repeating the same mission many times in order to just farm loot, kind of the same way that they used the clicky to farm dilithium.

That doesn't mean that the battleship royal isn't a legit and interesting mission. I'm actually thinking of making something similar, but using my building skills to really showcase the sets maybe to help inspire other players to learn to build and be creative with the foundry.

Plus, I bet that author's tip jar is pretty impressive. I'm kind jealous of that, lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited December 2012

I think they still have a 'loot limit' built in to Foundry content (IE fter getting so many drops/xp from playing Foundry missions, a 29 hour timer kicks in; and until that ounts down t zero agan, you won't get xp or loot from Found\ry play (again, you'll always get te 480 Dil and 50 FM from the wrapper every 30 minutes - just nothing else from inside the missions themselves.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited December 2012
    you'll always get te 480 Dil and 50 FM from the wrapper every 30 minutes - just nothing else from inside the missions themselves.)

Actually, it's 960 now. Go play!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    the worst part about foundry missions are the painfully slow loading screans, 1 mission , can't remember the name, but after loading 14 different screens, I determined that foundry missions are no joy no matter what the carrot at the end of the stick is:(
    edited December 2012
    the worst part about foundry missions are the painfully slow loading screans, 1 mission , can't remember the name, but after loading 14 different screens, I determined that foundry missions are no joy no matter what the carrot at the end of the stick is:(

This is a new problem with season 7. Prior to this season, our loading screens were fairly comparable to Cryptic maps. They were certainly shorter than ESD's loading screen. Now they are much longer.

Hopefully it's a bug that soon gets fixed, especially since players are giving us negative reviews about loading screens. We can't do anything about it, except maybe not put details into our maps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    This is a new problem with season 7. Prior to this season, our loading screens were fairly comparable to Cryptic maps. They were certainly shorter than ESD's loading screen. Now they are much longer.

Hopefully it's a bug that soon gets fixed, especially since players are giving us negative reviews about loading screens. We can't do anything about it, except maybe not put details into our maps.

I've found load times are up across the board. Foundry was impacted more, but it's not only a foundry issue.

Still on the plus side, it slows people down so missions are more likely to qualify for the 15 minute timer. 2 minutes of play time 13 minutes of loading screen, boom, qualified mission haha. Ok, maybe that's not really an upside.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I've only found the load times to be a problem in missions where you're only on a map for a minute to do something that could have been done in a dialog window.
    <3