test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Move Pets into UI Menu, instead of Inventory

lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
This is a request to the developers:
Please remove unlocked pets from the character's Inventory,
and create a new "Pets UI Menu" from which we can launch our vanity pets.

Basically, this would function the same way Action Figures work in Champions Online. We would have an item that constitutes the pet, just as we do now. This item could be used for missions, accolades, DOff assignments, trading/selling unbound pets, etc. But once we "activate" or "unlock" that pet, the item itself is consumed, and disappears from the Inventory. Then there would be a "Vanity Pets" button that opens a menu from which we can select the pet we want to appear. In Champions, this is an "Action Figures" button on the "character sheet", but a submenu off the mini-map would be just fine, too.

These changes would only affect vanity pets. Combat pets, including carrier small craft, should remain devices/hanger bay equipment. Also, there would need to be a separate menu for each ground and space.

I assume it is beneficial to Cryptic to keep pets hogging up Inventory/Bank space, as it encourages people to buy more storage from the Z-Store. I think this could be offset by displaying locked Z-Store (and Lobi-Store) pets in the UI. These grayed-out/inactive constant reminders would act as advertising, regularly reminding people what's available (what they're missing!), and triggering desire in people to "collect the whole set". This is also done in CO (where as yet unpurchased Z-Store Action Figures are displayed in the UI), and even done in similar menus in STO (such as in the Tailor, where unavailable costumes are shown, you know, in case you want to try them on).

Then there's the fact that some people (myself included), would be more willing to buy more pets, if they weren't space hogs (now there's a pet!). I would go out of my way to collect every pet possible. I'm a Completist and Collection-nut. And think about the "money made" from just Epohhs... If instead of birthing'n'burning every Epohh I get, turning them into Marks (which indirectly are Dilithium and therefore cash), I would keep one of each, if it didn't take up space. That's 30+ fewer 400-Mark turn-ins that Cryptic would not have to pay out.

In addition to the saved storage space, there's the savings in power tray real estate. Also, if you rearrange a pet's token in your storage bag, it often gets removed/relocated in your power tray. Meaning we have to restore the icon from the Power Menu. A minor inconvenience, to be sure, but a pain none-the-less. The Pet UI Menu I mention above would streamline the whole process. Make things easier, and I bet more people would be interested in Pets.

So please consider this. Pets used to be a small corner of this game. However now, more and more, they are becoming a center-stage feature. In addition to the many pets in the Z-store, there's a bunch of exotic creatures in the Lobi Store and in Lock Boxes. And then there's the latest "mini-game" - Epohh breeding. And who doesn't want a nice home for all those cute, widdal, cuddly-wuddly, space wabbits!?!

:)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yes, we do need Tribble and Pet Storage areas.

To many tribbles........they taking over my ship!
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I can definitely get behind this. Especially since one of my characters has a holographic system built into him (or so I like to RP) that manifests such things. Good idea.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the support. Red, your character would seem to get a lot of use out of a feature like this. And frankly, I'd really love it, as I'd go out of my way collecting all the pets. There's many I still don't have and won't bother to spend money on because I've got limited inventory/bank space.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I like your idea too, it would make pet management and collection more fun. i would like to have a special place to store and breed tribbles too
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
    edited December 2012
    I like your idea too, it would make pet management and collection more fun...
    Precisely. Picture the interface like a digital representation of those old baseball "Collector's Checklists" cards... It shows all available baseball players' cards and has a box to tick off each you get. In this case it could list available pets (and possibly a hover-over-pop-up describing how to get it, if not simply spending X currency like Zen or Lobi, which could just be displayed). The ones you don't have are grayed out, but more importantly, the ones you've already unlocked have an "activate", "summon", "hail", or perhaps "transport" button - Click and your pet appears.

Benefits:
    - Pets no longer take up valuable and limited inventory space.
    - Easy, single-source location for all pets, no more fuss looking for/managing Pet "items" and loading them between the Powers Window and the Power Tray.
    - Informs players of other available pets.
    - This information acts as "advertisments", encouraging sales.
    - Profit. Everyone wins.
    ...i would like to have a special place to store and breed tribbles too
    Then you might like to comment in my other thread on that very subject:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=480181

:cool:

• obertheromulanobertheromulan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I agree with this.
    It boosting purchases of inventory slots is a moot point for quite a while now.
    Seams like every season we get a bunch more trash items to store.
    It's too freakin' much. I like collecting pets too, but I'm running out of room even with all the inventory extensions bought.
    This would be a nice solution to the problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
  • atseearratseearr Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Love this. Inventory space is valuable, even after c-store upgrades.
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Agreed. Pets fully take up like 1/5 of my inventory space.
    Since the winter event, with the drops that gives, the gear I need to carry around and commodities for doff missions I only have 1 row of free space left for drops from stfs/PvE missions. Which fills quickly.

And yes I've maxed out c-store purchases of inventory slots.

Borg BNPs, make a currency and get rid of inventory item.

A third seperate tab just for commodities would be nice too.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the Support ObertheRomulan, Atseearr, and Eradicator84.

:)

• havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ho ho ho tribble terrarium needs to happen, petting zoo is in my ready room
  • blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    /signed

Begging the devs to consider and implement this well thought out and perfectly presented idea.

Aliella Hawklight, Divine Oracle Devoted Cleric
    "Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

DaiMon Moogie, U.S.S. Acquisition
    Rule of Acquisition #57: Good customers are as rare as latinum. Treasure them.

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
    edited December 2012
    havam wrote: »
    I think maybe you're looking for my other thread about Tribbles:

;)
    /signed

Begging the devs to consider and implement this well thought out and perfectly presented idea.
    Thanks for the Support BlackJackWidow.

:D

• toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Agreed with Patrician Vetinari. My main starts to get flooded with Epohhs.

It's sure holding me off from buying any of the more valuable pets when I know my half full inventory will get completely jam packed if I get any more pets.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    We've been asking for Separate Pet Storage practically since the first Tribbles popped up...

It's way over due as far as I am concerned.

+1 once again, to these ideas.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited January 2013
    Hey Cryptic, I promise to start buying the pets form the Lobi store (ie to complete my collection), as soon as they stop taking up inventory, bank, or otherwise finite space (ie they become part of the UI).

:cool:

• archofwinterarchofwinter Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    havam wrote:

Yeah, a ship interior biology lab?
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree. Fuzzy fluffballs are invading my ship! My bridge crew has to carry two fuzzballs each, and I have to make room for all our New Romulus friends! (Endangered Species my ***! :P)

So once again.... +1
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Since tribbles have a use I don't see the need to change them from being a personal device but all of the non-combat vanity pets could be moved to a tab on you character info page and be forgotten there for all I would care since they serve no purpose other than appearance. I just don't get some of the things that take up inventory. Lobi crystals are a currency, they should be on my assets page not in my inventory, freaking lock boxes should stack up to a thousand not 20, same with hypos, batts, regens et al.
    I get the created incentive to get customers to buy additional inventory and bank slots but a little subtlety in that pursuit would not go unappreciated.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited January 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    I get the created incentive to get customers to buy additional inventory and bank slots but a little subtlety in that pursuit would not go unappreciated.
    /QFT

I don't agree with your feeling on leaving Tribbles as devices. I have bred every type of tribble possible, and 'special combat' ones I usually breed 1 for me and 1 for each of my ground BOffs. My inventory is full of them - they deserve a special holding tank/tab/list.

"Whenever a time arises where clarity is desired, it is always wise to reflect on the sage within."
    ― Sereda Aleta Dailey

STO LTS since launch; NW player since 2014; ARC user - only when I have to put in codes for free stuff :)
    edited January 2013
    ...I don't agree with your feeling on leaving Tribbles as devices. I have bred every type of tribble possible, and 'special combat' ones I usually breed 1 for me and 1 for each of my ground BOffs. My inventory is full of them - they deserve a special holding tank/tab/list.
    Tribbles buff characters, affect items in inventory, and are part of a mini-game. In this game, they are devices with specific game effects and uses, and I think they should remain so.

While being stored, sold, or traded, pets are and should remain an item that takes up space. They are sort of like a commodity usable for trading, selling, etc. Once they are used as a device, though, they effectively become a "costume piece" that can only be "worn" when not in combat. Because they have only cosmetic value, once activated/unlocked, they should be removed from inventory just like a Winter Scarf box.

That being said, as you know, I am for a dedicated storage for Tribbles:

• darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I don't understand the quality of life differences between the older Champions Online and the newer Star Trek Online. In spite of being newer, STO has an inferior costume creator and the vanity pets take up inventory space.

That doesn't encourage people to buy more inventory space, that only discourages people from buying useless cosmetic items.
    edited January 2013
    Tribbles buff characters, affect items in inventory, and are part of a mini-game. In this game, they are devices with specific game effects and uses, and I think they should remain so.

While being stored, sold, or traded, pets are and should remain an item that takes up space. They are sort of like a commodity usable for trading, selling, etc. Once they are used as a device, though, they effectively become a "costume piece" that can only be "worn" when not in combat. Because they have only cosmetic value, once activated/unlocked, they should be removed from inventory just like a Winter Scarf box.

That being said, as you know, I am for a dedicated storage for Tribbles:

OK, I can see your point about why they should remain devices. And as you know, I fully support your tribble storage idea as well. :)

I don't want to hijack this thread when there is a separate one to address the tribble issue; you are right, vanity pets are effectively a cosmetic item and should not take up inventory space.

― Sereda Aleta Dailey

• shaunklshaunkl Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree with the OP and want this feature added to the game.
    Number one on my wishlist: New FED transporter effect
    Number two: 22nd Century Excursion Jackets
    Number three: Handheld communicator animation for non-combadge uniforms
    edited January 2013
    Even more pets are announced to soon be added to the game. Having this sort of UI to better organzie our pets gets more and more necessary.

• khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    Wow, two and a half years since you started this thread and no feedback.

I'd like this idea. The lack of pet space is why I've stopped collecting the little blighters, no point wasting money on something I'm probably going to end up deleting to free up space for loot.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!! :eek:
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!! :eek:

Yeah, normally I wouldn't necro a thread. But given that he linked to it in a current thread and the fact that it's still a very valid idea which needs some attention I decided I'd make an exception. :)
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • hawkyenarasumashawkyenarasumas Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, normally I wouldn't necro a thread. But given that he linked to it in a current thread and the fact that it's still a very valid idea which needs some attention I decided I'd make an exception. :)

Agreed. This is something that I've wanted for a really long time. *Checks OP date* A REALLY long time. I love collecting pets, but the fact that they take up bank space makes it very difficult.
    ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
    Admiral Hawkye L. Narasumas
    Commanding Officer, NX-91883 U.S.S. Harmony - Prometheus Class Custom Variant
    Fleet Commander, No Fate

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    My pets, too, want a home of their own. They complain that being wedged in between the ship repair components and the piles of astrometric probes is... confining...

Engineers all over the galaxy are ready to build the kennels, they just need Cryptic to tell them how to build them... :wink:
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]