test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

More limited time locations!

coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
I'm liking the winter wonderland at the moment because it breaks up the monotony and the grinding, some place new to visit and some new things to do - it may get stale after the 23 odd races I still need to run, but once it's gone I can't visit it so often it just loses all of it's charm.

It got me thinking, why don't we have more limited time locations in the game?

Let's take Risa as an example, a great place to open up as a limited time location during the summer. Parties going on in the beach at sunset, summer themed costumes and loot, PVE and PVP beach games like volleyball or surfing...just a fun place for people to visit and have a few laughs.

And why stop at summer? You could celebrate more seasonal and perhaps even Star Trek lore inspired holidays and events with a limited time location, a few quirky games and perhaps some unique items (free and instantly available items by the way).

So yeah. Just something I thought I'd share.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    A thousand times yes. Risa needs a whole lot more added to it.
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    No.

Development resources are much better spent on creating content that is actually available to players, instead of locked in a closet until the planets align in just the right way. This game already has a big enough content starvation problem, exacerbating it with a focus on calendar gated frippery will only make it worse.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    starkaos wrote: »
    A thousand times yes. Risa needs a whole lot more added to it.

Risa, Andoria, Vulcan, New Romulus, Bajor, DS9, Pajem, Drozana station, Defera, EARTH and all sorts of other places too please !
    You do great work on maps Cryptic, that's one of your strengths, I'd play it up !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    betawatcherbetawatcher Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    No.

Development resources are much better spent on creating content that is actually available to players, instead of locked in a closet until the planets align in just the right way. This game already has a big enough content starvation problem, exacerbating it with a focus on calendar gated frippery will only make it worse.

This 100%. Limited time holiday events are one thing, but other than that having a limited time zone is a waste of resource for 99% of the time, when it wont be available.
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    No.

I get what you are sayin, "limited time" calendar gated stuff - BAD

BUT

Expanding worthwhile things to do on some of these awesome maps - GOOD
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    edited December 2012

So long as it's not a time limited thing, I would agree.
  • Options
    bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    No.

While I agree w/the content starvation argument, they only need to make seasonal content once, then simply activate it again once the time comes up for it. These types of events don't really need to be that in-depth, so they should take less time for the project to complete.

I certainly agree on the content drought. It seems S7 was rushed, IMO. However, they may have the resources to produce the OPs request, since Cryptic supposedly has a larger staff.

As for the Risa thing, Summer would be a great time for this event. I agree. Possibly even put in a fishing contest? Building sandcastles? Something simple. Volleyball would be great, but that's a large mechanic to add in, so I'm not even expecting anything from that suggestion.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I get what you are sayin, "limited time" calendar gated stuff - BAD

BUT

Of course, but that has nothing to do with "limited time locations" like the OP talks about.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    While I agree w/the content starvation argument, they only need to make seasonal content once, then simply activate it again once the time comes up for it. These types of events don't really need to be that in-depth, so they should take less time for the project to complete.

Remember how stupid having the Vault Shuttle event happen only a handful of hours in a given day was? Same exact concept here.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    As for the Risa thing, Summer would be a great time for this event. I agree. Possibly even put in a fishing contest? Building sandcastles? Something simple. Volleyball would be great, but that's a large mechanic to add in, so I'm not even expecting anything from that suggestion.

Something like fishing or vollyball should always be available on Risa, not just during a specific time. I mean, its a vacation planet. If you want to add those kinds of things, cool. But they should always be there. Now, if you want to add special rewards to them at a certain time of year, thats different.
  • Options
    redrickyredricky Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This 100%. Limited time holiday events are one thing, but other than that having a limited time zone is a waste of resource for 99% of the time, when it wont be available.

200%. You're telling me the guy who came up with the winter zone just couldn't possibly have come up with another PvP map? Or some improved AI so the enemies are actually dangerous instead of just HP gasbags? Or more things like NWS which uses circumstance and level design for the challenge instead of just two really giant ships with even bigger lance weapons? Or getting KDF to start at level 1 with a full storyline? Or, you know, bug finding...

Anyway, that's not the fault of the people who did the actual event design, so to them I say kudos for making something fun. I will enjoy the events and participate, but sigh a little inside at the things I wish were getting dev resources instead.
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I would so LOVE to surf on Risa and New Romulus! :) Beach volleyball on Risa would be awesomesauce! Any chance at getting a camping ground, something similar to the last part of the Colosseum mission, where you go hunting for food and camp overnight?
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Good points for and against I see, very interesting.

I do agree certainly that fresh content is a thing this game lacks, and the last thing I'd want to do is divert attention from more crucial jobs to something like this.

That is kinda why I thought limiting time would be a valid idea. Limited exposure would allow Cryptic to re-use environments that people won't be bored of since they can't spend huge amounts of time there - and once they have been developed all they'd need from then on is a little polish before release to make sure it plays nice with the current version of the game.

It is a cheap way to stretch content sure, but these maps were never going to be another New Romulus, they were just going to be purely optional fun n' games. In any event, I'd doubt Cryptic would entertain such an idea as this - they to are (hopefully) concentrating on fixing the stuff we have already.
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    There are a lot of simple atmospheric places they could have added to the game, this event gives atmosphere, which a lot of the game is missing. Creating time limited zones is mostly a waste, the winter holidays are by far the longest of the year, and they are relatively short.. anything else would be very very under utilized.

Why none of the famous restaurants on earth?

Garracks shop on DS9 (the tailor isn't similar), the klingon, the bolian restaurants that were referenced? How difficult was this to add really? The station is pretty cookie cutter on vendors.

Risa has been mentioned forever.

Vulcan exists and is pretty easy to retrofit into something new.

Andoria is a total write off, just a waste of space right now. Exploring the Aenar's area would be amazing.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    coupaholic wrote: »
    That is kinda why I thought limiting time would be a valid idea. Limited exposure would allow Cryptic to re-use environments that people won't be bored of since they can't spend huge amounts of time there - and once they have been developed all they'd need from then on is a little polish before release to make sure it plays nice with the current version of the game.

It is a cheap way to stretch content sure, but these maps were never going to be another New Romulus, they were just going to be purely optional fun n' games. In any event, I'd doubt Cryptic would entertain such an idea as this - they to are (hopefully) concentrating on fixing the stuff we have already.

Cryptic already reuses things to death. Effectively the entirety of the "endgame" (and a good chunk of the leveling game if one does a lot of star cluster missions) revolves around repeating the same maps and missions ad nauseum.
  • Options
    bumperthumperbumperthumper Member Posts: 513 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    nicha0 wrote: »
    Exploring the Aenar's area would be amazing.

I completely agree w/this statement. I'd LOVE to see Aenar content. I've always been a fan of the Aenar/Andorian sides of life.
    A proud member of The Collective ARMADA
    NOT A FAN OF ARC!