test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

AMT Round 2 DS9 & ENT-D MODEL KITS...

voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Ten Forward
So, someone at Round 2 thought it would be a brilliant idea to release the DS9 & Ent-D model kits in a clear edition for ease of lighting them. What they failed to mention is THE ENTIRE model kit is clear not just certain parts, sounds like no big deal right? WRONG, it's a painting nightmare come to life and on steroids. Doesn't matter the type of paint it does not want to stick to this clear plastic at all, or at least not unless you put a good solid 8-10 light coats on it.
If any of you decide to buy these kits I highly suggest you go to wal-mart and by some white krylon plastic paint to use as a base primer and even then make sure you coat them with the appropriate clear coat.
On the positive side it would be really easy to light and the detail is alot better than on the original releases.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by voicesdark on

Comments

• Options
    hortworthortwort Member Posts: 281
    edited December 2012
    They just wanted to make sure the fans could install cloaking devices if they so desired. :D

Clearly. :P (zing!)
    I miss my _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Those have been around a couple of times in the past few years.
    I can see the attraction of molding it in clear, It's a hell of a lot easier than drilling hundreds of holes for fiber optics, but what I don't like about clear plastic is it gets extremely brittle with age. You'll have to let us see how it turns out, are you going to mask the windows or drill them out after paint?
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    princedimwitprincedimwit Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Do you wash and prime your models before painting?

I don't like the idea of clear either but you gotta do it right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]