test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Your own Quarters

titus1608titus1608 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
I guess this kind of threads come and go here often but I hope there wasn't one yet in connection with building projects like the starbase or the reputation system.

I think it wouldn't be problem to add another floor to the starbase with a small corridor and some dummy doors in which you could enter your own quarters.

Building Projects could be size and quality.

You start with a small room with standard grey furniture and as you proceed in the tiers it gets bigger and the quality of the furniture improves.

Special reward for reaching a new tier could be space for special items related to accolades.
They all have their designated space and its empty when you dont have that specific accolade.
Smaller size rooms would only have the space for simple accolade related items and the space for harder to achieve accolades would come later in the tiers.

It would be nice if you could choose the style of the new furniture when you level up like you can choose the passiv abilities in the reputation system. For example vulcan style.

This would be only vanity stuff and not important to the gameplay so the people who wine about the costs of this could be silenced by saying that they don't need to have this.
Post edited by titus1608 on

Comments

• pupibirdpupibird Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I like the idea of housings in sto.. But I am not sure I can find time to also grind "furniture marks" for the "captains quaters ressource sink system" ;)
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Sssh! Don't give them bad ideas.
    Customizable captain quarters should either be instantly free (as if...) or pure C-Store purchase.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You got your own quarters aboard you own ship.

I never understood the reasoning behind these Starbases unless you PvPed in them Fleet vs Fleet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • titus1608titus1608 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    pupibird wrote: »
    I like the idea of housings in sto.. But I am not sure I can find time to also grind "furniture marks" for the "captains quaters ressource sink system" ;)

Maybe in addition to a "grind way" there should be an alternative way to get this kind of marks.
    For example if its located in a starbase why not make those marks purchaseable with fleetcredits like those embassy provisions at the moment.

I'm very active in my fleet and I have tons of fleetcredits and dont know what todo with it and I know alot of people who have the same problem.

so there would be the normal grind way and an easy way with fleetcredits.

And you should trademark the name "captains quarters ressource sink system" before cryptic does, maybe they pay you a monthly stipend of furniture marks to use it :D

age03 wrote: »

I never understood the reasoning behind these Starbases unless you PvPed in them Fleet vs Fleet.

Yes, but you cant customize it exept for placing trophys which is kinda boring.

If you don't understand why someone like the starbases you won't understand why people want to have quarters.
    Thats another reason to place it on the starbase...people who arent into this sort of stuff can leave the whole thing alone.
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    A Captain's Quarters already exists in the current ship interiors, and whilst bland, it is already explorable.

Since the majority of a Starfleet or KDF officer's career is aboard their starship, rather than starbases, it is more efficient for Cryptic to improve the existing starship interior maps than to create a redundant starbase suite.

Tons of fleet credits, you say? You can always buy mark boosts or fleet gear.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • titus1608titus1608 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sumghai wrote: »
    A Captain's Quarters already exists in the current ship interiors, and whilst bland, it is already explorable.

Since the majority of a Starfleet or KDF officer's career is aboard their starship, rather than starbases, it is more efficient for Cryptic to improve the existing starship interior maps than to create a redundant starbase suite.

But there are too many different starship interiors it would take ages to fit a "new and improved" version of the quarters to every one.

And who says the majority of a starfleet/kdf person takes place on a starship?
    Just because 4 of the 5 star trek series took place on a starship?
    As you can see with the DS9 series there are starbases too which should have a huge amount of personel on them compared to a standard starship, the galaxy classes maybe the exeption.
    And there are planetary facilities too, which have a large amount of personal, just because we havent seen much of them on tv doesnt mean they don't exist.
  • sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    titus, I presume you've actually read the proposal?

Of course each ship class would have its own unique Captain's Quarters, with limited decor and furniture customisability. Based on dev tacofang's musings, rooms would have fixed geometries with simple texture/color swaps for walls/carpets/LCARS schemes/doors/etc.

The point is that the shipboard quarters can be tied into a larger progression system for ship interiors as a whole rather than an one-off appearance hidden away in some obscure region of a starbase.

Conclusion:

By itself, a progression system for private quarters on a starbase is nothing more than another grind goal. Fully-featured and functional custom ship interiors, on the other hand, provides private quarters AND actual missions that make use of each player's ship interiors.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    age03 wrote: »

Not me. All my ships are lockbox ships.
  • archofwinterarchofwinter Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    To quote a certain commercial on TV: "Why not do both?"

Have a system for unlocking room decor for your personal quarter on your ship (and maybe other rooms as well). And if you are just so happens to be in a fleet, you can purchase an office and a quarter that you can customized. Any thing you've already own/unlocked on your own for your own ship can also be used in the fleet starbase.