test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
Why do the requirements increase for the projects every tier? I just reached Tier 2 Omega and already the EC cost is getting kind of silly. The mark cost going up makes a bit of sense, cause I have tons of those as it is, but again, why is the EC cost so high?

I wouldn't mind the reputation system so much if the commodity requirements didn't go up, or there where more ways to earn the requirements rather than buying them.
Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited December 2012
    The way I understood it was that those costs would be going down along with the lower cooldowns.

This has not happened, maybe because we can now earn Dilithium on rep project completion.

Still, its costing around 150k ec per day thereabouts to start these projects, still a little steep for the average player imho!
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The higher level baddies now have a better chance of dropping junk to sell so that helps, but i would say they are a little expensive in EC, especially now they are 1 a day.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    darkenzedd wrote: »
    The way I understood it was that those costs would be going down along with the lower cooldowns.

This has not happened, maybe because we can now earn Dilithium on rep project completion.

Still, its costing around 150k ec per day thereabouts to start these projects, still a little steep for the average player imho!

I don't mind the Dilithium and Mark cost, but the EC cost is driving me crazy.
  • thenumber55thenumber55 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    150k Is Steep?

you can hit that with STF trash
  • suprcheesesuprcheese Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Seems like it may be worth it to make a Ferengi alt just to buy commodities, since they get an extra discount...
    There is no problem in the galaxy that cannot be solved with sufficient application of firepower.
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    A fellow fleet member just finished T3 upgrade. He decided to buy all his commodities etc to get him to T4. He calculated how many projects it would take. Total EC cost came to 1 million EC.
    edited December 2012
    tu, tu, tuffli:P
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If course if you buy this from your own replicator it's expensive, but if you get an invite on a freighters or go to the commodities sellers, it's fine. Actually i earn a lot more EC a day with regular play so i don't notice that...
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    150k Is Steep?

you can hit that with STF trash

You must be unbelievably lucky then with random drops. I tend to get 2-3 consumables (batteries) and 1-2 white or green items that vendor for 6k. about once a night I will get a blue or purple that I can auction for 30k or vendor for 12k-20k.

Total after running 3-4 STFs tends to be about 60k or less.
  • verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Do a single tour the universe hour, 2million EC to fund it for quite a while
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    verlaine11 wrote: »
    Do a single tour the universe hour, 2million EC to fund it for quite a while
    That's what I did ;)

Due to lag and computer's issues, I was only able to do one full lap in the last event, but I still got 350K EC, enough to set me for about 20 more projects, roughly (Speaking from about-to-hit-Tier-1) :D Even with increasing costs, that event is your go-to for EC

And you can do it as many times as possible, as long as you finish the whole curcuit before the event finishes ;)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Geko says you are happy with the EC cost.

Like a boss.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    That's what I did ;)

Due to lag and computer's issues, I was only able to do one full lap in the last event, but I still got 350K EC, enough to set me for about 20 more projects, roughly (Speaking from about-to-hit-Tier-1) :D Even with increasing costs, that event is your go-to for EC

And you can do it as many times as possible, as long as you finish the whole curcuit before the event finishes ;)

Thing is , dont do full laps, do something like below and you can easily get EC to last for quite a while in doing the Rep projects

Tour the universe 1hour 1.7mil +

Borg engines, Raiding Party and Diplomatic Immunity (normally from people around Wolf 359), Purple Astrometrics Doff

After getting the Tour from the chap in the club

Leave Sol space and head for beta Urse

As soon as you transfer to Beta do a quick instance swap and you will be at the far end

From there head up to Orellis and complete there and hang a right into Eta Erandi space
    go through EE as quick as you can and head to Omega Leonis and through the Klingon Gate to Borg space

When in Borg space head for the very centre point, by going through the very centre it hits all 4 sections and head straight for Fluidic space

When there you can head back to Sol via transwarp (should be on a 4-5minute timer with a purple astrometrics) - if not just before the tour get the stranded in spae assignment - it takes you just outside of sol for 100ec and reverse to sol

End the tour mission and get it again - repeat every 5 or so minutes for 200k per run
  • thenumber55thenumber55 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You must be unbelievably lucky then with random drops. I tend to get 2-3 consumables (batteries) and 1-2 white or green items that vendor for 6k. about once a night I will get a blue or purple that I can auction for 30k or vendor for 12k-20k.

Total after running 3-4 STFs tends to be about 60k or less.

if a 150k is some ungodly amount to you, you really really fail at STO

one STF engine drop is 50k at a vender, doing the Rom Sector Patrol nets me at least 100k in trash loot, and Doffing...Bloody Doffing... Ec rains from the sky with its drops
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Geko says you are happy with the EC cost.

Like a boss.

Geko is not always right.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The cash isn't too bad really. The Mark cost on the other hand....500 marks for an item? I've got to run the Tau Dewa Sector Patrol half a dozen times per item? And if I want to fully equip a ship with sets? And do it on 7 characters? The money is the easy part.
  • fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Be ****ing happy it's not Dil or lots more. and 150k not a lot so hush it and just be happy ones for love of good . It was worst in being of Rep system/Season 7 .
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    if a 150k is some ungodly amount to you, you really really fail at STO

one STF engine drop is 50k at a vender, doing the Rom Sector Patrol nets me at least 100k in trash loot, and Doffing...Bloody Doffing... Ec rains from the sky with its drops

yeah, if yo aren't making 100K each time you run to the vendor then you're playing the game wrong. Once you start doing space missions each junk drop alone net you 6-7K from recycle alone. Like someone else said each Engine, shield and Deflector nets you 40K + alone.

Add Doff the Space Engine & shield missions for another easy 40K EC here and there. And the regular Doff console mission can net you big cash if you get lucky.
  • kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    vesolc wrote: »
    tu, tu, tuffli:P

even WITH a tuffli, its still (at t2 going to t3) 40k ec per day on the 2k project lol...this is really easy ec...one freaking mk 11 engine haahh...scrap that and bam

heck my tuffli has seen more business with my fleet since this rep system began than it did before hand...even if im the only one in our fleet to have a mobile base...that actually HAS AN EXCHANGE....unlike the dang fleet starbase that just has a bank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It's far easier to earn lots of EC than it is any other currency in the game. Just vendoring loot can get all the EC you need, and if you do a little work and find prices for loot on the exchange you could make even more.

I spent a good 800k or so outfitting a new ship, but earned it back in no time just by doing the tau dawa sector patrol a few times (Hirogen are quite generous) and selling everything, either on the exchange for a decent price or guaranteed half value at vendors.

Like most, I am more concerned with my lack of Dil.
  • frontline2042frontline2042 Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Tour the universe is the easiest way to get money, if for some reason you keep missing it just run the breen featured episode and vendor (never recycle, always go to a vendor) the space set. That will get you more than the 150k you need per day
    Ignorance is an obstacle not an excuse
    Let the stupid suffer
  • velktravelktra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    There is a vendor on New Romulus that sells large hypos, major regenerators, and large shield recharges. It helps a bit (much cheaper than the exchange) but it's still pricey.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    suprcheese wrote: »
    Seems like it may be worth it to make a Ferengi alt just to buy commodities, since they get an extra discount...

Already have one, just for that.
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    velktra wrote: »
    There is a vendor on New Romulus that sells large hypos, major regenerators, and large shield recharges. It helps a bit (much cheaper than the exchange) but it's still pricey.

These are the vendors you need to look for. Any vendor that sells common ground or space consumables (hypos, batteries, that sort). These are the only vendors AFAIK that actually buy for 50%. Others tend to buy for less. You can find these vendors in most major social zones (ESD, DS9, K7, New Romulus) but frustratingly not the Fleet Starbase.

Generally, I have not had a problem keeping up with EC cost so far. I'll crack T3 today as soon as my current batch of projects completes, we'll see after that. So far, running a lot of Starbase 24 helps me reach my dilithium cap AND gives me piles of loot to either flip on the exchange or sell to the vendor. If you get 1st or 2nd place, you'll even get purples.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • curs0rcurs0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    EC is not at all hard to come by. Heck, you can just run cold call on normal, choose the breen deflector, and vendor it for a sweet 100k. Takes about 5 minutes on normal.
    I'll sell you some weapons from New Romulus. Never fired, only dropped once.
  • vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I do the romulan daily missions to get my EC.. I do the 5 missions that require to clear out the squadrons (nausicans, romulans, klingons, hunters), you end up with tons of white/green stuff to sell!

Heck you end up making more EC than you need in most cases, especially if you play on advanced or elite
    :eek:
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    150K EC x 11 Chars per day...

i'd say it has a noticeable impact.

(not to mention that i get nothing else done besides filling the rep system)

i got a few hundred million EC saved up (account wide) so it doesn't bother me much, but the "sink" is clearly working, i spend more than i earn per day at the moment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited December 2012
    I never had a problem with energy credits myself, I have over 100mil spread out on my mains.

Although, for a newer player it will hurt until they know how to make money or go to the commodity brokers instead of the replicator....
  • oneandonlyrecceoneandonlyrecce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I know some players are going to find it tougher that it should be.
    A fleet mate's sold large hypos on the exchange for x10 the vendor price. :eek:
    Ripping people off like that made him feel dirty, and not in the good way :P
  • bohiapbohiap Member Posts: 535
    edited December 2012
    Do a search on http://www.stowiki.org you can find the cheapest vendor for all of the commodities. There are more than a few ways, some listed on this thread, to get EC.
    I can play for around and hour, hit my dilithium limit on dailies, and sell all the junk. That usually nets me 150-200k.

Do "Negotiate Delivery of Additional Artifacts." Powered Artifacts sell on the exchange for around a mil EC.

I'm running the rep mission now to get the cutting beam. 500 Marks does seem steep. But, not after an hour of STFs during and event. Not sure what I'm gonna do about the Romulan rep though. I've been doing the patrol mission, plus a circuit of the Romulan ground missions.
    They can be a little grindy. On the other hand, so far there's no Romulan items I want.