test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Alting Realy Dead?

2»

Comments

• mikey5timemikey5time Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Seems like the people with alts enjoy the game as a game and not as a race to be l33t.
    I have 3 chars, but i focus on one. The others will sometimes run STFs or grind dil, but have minimal rep progress. Planning to unlock 4 slots once i trade for another 300 zen.
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    tebsu wrote: »
    I think anyone with less than six chars has a job and no time for what you say. I am playing this game since over a year now and I have 3 chars. One is my mainchar (tac) who still has some blue consoles.. just because i dont have the time to play every day and grind EC or whatsoever. The other 2 chars are science fed and science klingon. All are at VA but those 2 other chars do not have any good gear at this point. If i could play like 5-6 hours a day, it would be different maybe but the content we had in the past was so boring, i just couldnt play the same stuff over and over again. Now we have more missions but we also need to invest more. Its equal again and so its the same as it was before for me.

Heh, I have 30+ characters in STO, a dozen in CO, had 100+ in CoH, and 60+ in LOTRO. I probably don't spend much more time in games than you do. It doesn't take any more time to play multiple characters or several games than it does to play one character in one game.

It's a matter of choices, imagination, and mood at any given time. I have characters that only run with certain other characters (some not much because the other players aren't on much and we like to level together), some that only solo, etc. I even have a couple of characters in STO that only do Foundry missions (talk about slow leveling, but I get to use my Connie longer :) ).

I do have the advantage that my family plays with me, so perhaps I get a little more game time than some, but we don't live in game.

It also might explain why STO is the only game I play that I've hit the level cap in -- and that was through the duty officer system, not "regular" gameplay.

I'm a Founder and lifetimer in LOTRO and my highest level character is 62 (level cap just hit 85). CoH I hit 45 (out of 50). I'm new to CO, so 18 is as far as I've gotten.

But then, we're worried about hitting the cap, just having fun playing. We level when we level. Having characters across multiple levels keeps the games fresh. STO and CO suffer with regard to having less storyline content than the other games (e.g., with both LOTRO and CoH, there were multiple leveling paths), but Foundry helps STO and the fact that we're new to CO helps there.
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    mikey5time wrote: »
    Seems like the people with alts enjoy the game as a game and not as a race to be l33t.
    I have 3 chars, but i focus on one. The others will sometimes run STFs or grind dil, but have minimal rep progress. Planning to unlock 4 slots once i trade for another 300 zen.

True. I have no intention of doing the rep system on most of my characters. I'll pick a few for for rep, the rest I'll just do other stuff.
  • sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Bought a few slots to level up my solo base. Now that those projects are dead in the water, it's only a matter of time before I delete the majority of those farmer toons. Got most of them to Captain or above, some are almost max rank.

I have 6 toons that I consider main, Fed Tac/Eng/Sci and KDF Tac/Eng/Sci.

I grind a bit of rep on some of them but it's time prohibitive to keep them all updated. Some will just fade off into collecting dust, I suppose.

No new toons unless and until the Romulan faction/race comes out.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • vinru821vinru821 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have 8 toons, 4 fed, 4 kdf, I prefer KDF, so my Fed toons are all in retirement because of all the new TRIBBLE to do and get reps for. And even then it takes me about 4-5 hours to go through the motions on just the 4 KDF toons.

It has become a pain, but it is more fun now a days to do all the stuff, just wish I had more time for em all.
    :eek:
  • dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Mines from the Bible (christian version)
    No, it's not. The quote you're looking for is "My name is legion...", not "Our name...".

Also, video game fiction > religious fiction :P
  • maarkeanmaarkean Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have several characters (5 Fed, 1 Klingon) but I never really play them outside my main. Unlike most games, I get nothing different out of playing an alt that I don't get out of my main. The career abilities are so few and minimal in space (where I spend most of my time). If I enjoyed ground more, it might make a difference as the kit abilities can change game play significantly.

But with a main character whose an Alien, I can change my costume to be pretty much anything, so I can RP however I want. I can have a lot of ships and BOFF so I can have a wide array of crews and ship styles. And if I want to get something thats just for one character, I don't have to spend the cost to get it again (either Zen, Dil, or time).

I've enjoyed alting in other games. But those games always had drastically different play styles across classes. STO does not. A lot of people enjoy playing alts, so more power to them, but I don't see any in particular value in it for me.
  • tsf00181tsf00181 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I really haven't seen much of a change. I have 8 characters,7 Klingon and 1 Federation.

The federation character primarily just sits around, turns over contraband, and thats about it. He might get more action if I decide to buy a vesta.

All of my Klingon characters have no trouble hitting the dilithium cap with doffing. Granted, I can get away with doing that at work....STF/FAs are out though I can because I could get called away at any minute. I guess if your time limited to like an hour a day, it won't work for you....but playing any MMO for just an hour is going to hurt you.

I really don't consider any of my characters alts. All my characters have their own ships. My Orion runs a marauder. Cardassian a Golor. Gorn a Varanus. Etc... Some days I feel running one type of ship so that's what I play in the evening for a hour or so. Maybe I want to play support one day so I take out my Gorn. Maybe another day I just want to make some feddies cry in Karet so I take out my chick Klingon in her B'Rel. :D

Point is, I don't treat any of this as a grind. If I hit the D cap, fine. I'm running the rep system on all my characters and I honestly can't figure out why people are complaining. The requirements are nothing since they patched recently. Running two STFs on elite once a week will take a character less then an hour. If you do well enough each of those will net you 130 Omega marks and up to 11 BNPs, which should be enough for a week. Not bad if you ask me, it just takes a month and a half to get to T5 now. The EC requirements for the rep. consumables is nothing, if your running this with a bunch of alts your probably rolling in the EC.
    edited December 2012
    tsf00181 wrote: »
    if your running this with a bunch of alts your probably rolling in the EC.
    And if you're not, get another alt, make it Ferengi, and get the commodities cheaper :D
  • drudgydrudgy Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I personally have a great many alts. 10 or so all together, both Klingon and Federation. I don't think that I play them any more or less than I did before season 7. The only thing you really have to ask is this, "How badly do I want XX items?"

The answer is two fold. Yes I want all the neat shiny stuff that the high tiers of the reputation system brings. But the real question is how soon do you want it? If you want to get them ASAP then focusing on one toon may be the ideal situation. Of course you can only do the 4 missions all together once each day. So depending on how much you are playing could determine how often you are switching characters.

I for one am in no huge rush to get all the stuff. The reputation is there and i'll continue to add to it as I'm on each of my alts, but i'm really in no hurry to get it all. The game will continue regardless so i'll find ways of getting what I want. The bigger picture here is that I enjoy playing the different captains, and flying each of the different ships. It's fun for me and that's what gaming is all about right? Either way i'm happy with the way things are. It gives me some reason to log into some of my less played alts because there is something to work for now.

Anyway take it as a grain of salt I suppose, but I don't feel alting is dead at all.
    f3wrLS.jpg
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    For omega marks it might be semi easy, especially on the first few tiers.

But for romulan rep ?
    I get 18-19 marks per romunlan mission (from the queue maps) so already on t3 it's 3 missions everyday for every character. Also sometime as little as 13 marks...
    So that's up to 4 missions on every character everday on t3 :/

And it's just funny how you can run 1 stf and be set PLUS earn dilithium.

One thing I know for certain is once I am eventually done with the romulan rep I will have zero incentive to play those missions again. Just like I also feel strongly motivated to not get anything out of the store.
    edited December 2012
    vestereng wrote: »
    But for romulan rep ?
    I get 18-19 marks per romunlan mission (from the queue maps) so already on t3 it's 3 missions everyday for every character. Also sometime as little as 13 marks...
    So that's up to 4 missions on every character everday on t3 :/
    You don't do the Patrol missions in Tau Dewa?

60 Marks a day.

There's also another daily that pops up when you hit T3. I'll avoid semi-spoilers, but you can do it alongside the Patrols, it gives you 10 marks, plus it will help with another Marks source.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    No I don't.

Based on having to move back and forth from romulan space on my characters, I'd rather just queue up.

I basically have them all standing in front of vendors, queue up get marks, buy items, gate them and log out.

And to really make myself sick and tired of the game I am doing console fabrication on 1 character, so far I've gotten 14% crits on a supposedly 24%. Basically half of what it's supposed to be... :D

I might go for 100 attempts and then make a thread about the results.

Anyway point beiing, season 7 didn't kill alt'ing as much as it killed everything for me to the point of going fatalistic.
    Just like with the console fabrication I feel I put a lot into it and get shafted on alts and mains equally
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So far I have a Fed and KDF. I guess you can call my KDF my "alt". To me I don't mind doing the same missions/story over with if I like the game. In this case I do like the game, so I have plans for a Tactical Capt. So I can try out that type of play style. I usually like trying the other style of playing before I burn out starting Alts. Then just play the ones I have.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • kevaldtkevaldt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have mainly been using my alts to funnel dilithium to my main anyways, but now even more so. It doesnt make sense to have 20 characters all needing time sunk in to mean anything.

I have 2 feds and one klink, and thats more than enough for me.
    [SIGPIC]InGame - @Darth_Tauri[/SIGPIC]
    Joined - 9/2011
    "You Best Make Peace With Your Dear & Fluffy Lord" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have ten alts. Maybe eleven, but the eleventh one is low level and possibly bugged. The ten are all level 50, and I cycle through playing them. I'm not gear oriented, so I have no pressure to concentrate on a single alt. I'm also not a dilithium grinder, so I wasn't playing all ten every day before, and I'm certainly not now. I usually don't play more than three on any given day.
  • theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have 16 characters with over half being counted as alts. I don't like the seven 7 as the STF changes and Investigate officer changes take too long now. I do use the non alts from time to time to play through missions but not often. My playtime in game has been cut by 60 to 90%.
  • emperormakemperormak Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I've got 10 characters.

During S6, I spent about 25% of my time on my main and split the remaining 75% pretty evenly among the other 9.

Since S7, I haven't even logged on to the 5 newest of them. It takes much longer to get done the things I want to get done. I suppose I'll have to re-prioritize exactly what my goals are with each one. I'm sure I'll find a balance somewhere.
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Nope alting is defenetly not dead "for me" just made a new character which is now my 7th soon to be max level toon. I just grind each toon at a time, too much rl stuff to do all of them at once.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E