test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any word on being able to cancel reputation projects?

captainmorgan210captainmorgan210 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
Dan mentioned in a recent blog that the devs are investigating the possibility of letting us cancel reputation projects. I have a Romulan project that I'm unable to complete because it won't let me contribute Peregrine Fighters and has a very high DOFF requirement. I have two Omega projects I want to cancel because they both want more dilithium than I'm prepared to give (obviously these were started before last weeks patch). So far on Tribble there is no ability to cancel. Is being able to cancel projects still something we can look forward to? I really don't want to bite the bullet and finish the Omega projects; and the Romulan project I'm not capable of completing even if I wanted to.

Also, assuming we do get the ability to cancel projects, will we get the resources we already put into them back?
Post edited by captainmorgan210 on

Comments

• borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2012
    The ability to cancel a project was never built into the system. In case it's not obvious, the Reputation System is using the same basic technology as the Fleet Project system, and we specifically did not intend for Fleet Projects to be cancelled as it could allow for a fleet's leadership to potentially TRIBBLE over its players (intentionally or not).

Since Reputations are personal, the only person that could be affected by cancelling a project is you. It's less of a concern in that case, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a fundamental alteration of the software.
    Also, assuming we do get the ability to cancel projects, will we get the resources we already put into them back?

No, the items are destroyed/discarded/gone-forever at the moment you hit Contribute, and are converted into a simple numeric that tracks how many items have been contributed to that particular "bucket" of goods. As such, cancelling a project would refund you nothing, other than freeing up the project slot.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ...we specifically did not intend for Fleet Projects to be cancelled as it could allow for a fleet's leadership to potentially TRIBBLE over its players (intentionally or not).

Conversely not allowing them to be canceled has the potential to do the same thing with projects like the special projects that may languish, quite literally, for weeks on end or for assignments with requirements the fleet is struggling to meet. (One of the fleets I'm in has had the same special project up with little to no movement for almost 2 months as the members simply are unable to keep up with the standard projects much less special projects for decorative things).

On top of this there is nothing that forces fleet leaders to divy out provisions or grant access to anything.

This is because bad fleet leaders will most likely lose their fleet members due to their actions.

Why shouldn't that be the case with canceling projects as well (effectively allowing Fleets to police themselves on this issue)?
  • dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    it won't let me contribute Peregrine Fighters

Sure you're trying to use the right ones? You need the hangars bought from the shipyard.

we specifically did not intend for Fleet Projects to be cancelled as it could allow for a fleet's leadership to potentially TRIBBLE over its players (intentionally or not).
    I thought it was Cryptic's policy to stay out of intra-fleet politics?

Even if it's not, I have to politely disagree with your stance of not allowing the entire community access to a feature because it may be abused by a small minority, and those fleet leaders that do abuse it will soon find themselves alone in their fleet.
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited November 2012
    The ability to cancel a project was never built into the system. In case it's not obvious, the Reputation System is using the same basic technology as the Fleet Project system, and we specifically did not intend for Fleet Projects to be cancelled as it could allow for a fleet's leadership to potentially TRIBBLE over its players (intentionally or not).

Since Reputations are personal, the only person that could be affected by cancelling a project is you. It's less of a concern in that case, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a fundamental alteration of the software.

No, the items are destroyed/discarded/gone-forever at the moment you hit Contribute, and are converted into a simple numeric that tracks how many items have been contributed to that particular "bucket" of goods. As such, cancelling a project would refund you nothing, other than freeing up the project slot.

If i may suggest,
    Materials don't need to be refunded. Instead of a contribution pool for the fleet, or character. If a project gets canceled, transfer the material invested so far in the projected into the contribution pool. And if a new project gets started the project automatically feeds first from he contribution pool, then opens up normal contribution.
    Might even want to consider to allow direct contribution into the contribution pool. giving the normal fleet credits. That way there will be no race to fill the project contributions to gain fleet credits. Just contribute, and when a new project gets started it will fill itself from the pool of resources provided.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ...As such, cancelling a project would refund you nothing, other than freeing up the project slot.
    Ouch. :eek:

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • herbie1966herbie1966 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In other words...

Dan was talking out of his proverbial back-end and this will never be implemented.

At least this time we got notice early on.
  • hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If i may suggest,
    Materials don't need to be refunded. Instead of a contribution pool for the fleet, or character. If a project gets canceled, transfer the material invested so far in the projected into the contribution pool. And if a new project gets started the project automatically feeds first from he contribution pool, then opens up normal contribution.
    Might even want to consider to allow direct contribution into the contribution pool. giving the normal fleet credits. That way there will be no race to fill the project contributions to gain fleet credits. Just contribute, and when a new project gets started it will fill itself from the pool of resources provided.

Not doable with the current values for the different inputs. Just open any project that requires a 'large' sum of Expertise, and fill that one category up. The project will be instantly labeled as 90% complete. Now cancel that, reduce the input values to a generic contribution number, and start a cosmetic project. 180,000 Free Dilithium?

That refunding stuff from fleet projects is a problem, to either the fleet or the original contributors, isn't news. I'll do you one better, and give you an exploit for them to hide behind: Take this same Expertise project, start it, dump in the 'valuable' expertise and collect 1600 fleet credits for 40,000 expertise. Cancel project and restart. Rinse and repeat. 'Free' Fleet Credits.

No refunds are acceptable, though. And as for the exploit, or abusive fleet leadership, the solution is simple: Projects (that aren't filled and actively counting down toward completion) may be canceled no sooner than 7 days after they've been slotted in. All they have to do then is add a project selection timestamp, if there isn't one in there already anyway, and we're completely out of the woods.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Yet, it would be great to have a "cancel" option upon project. For example, our fleet is suffering with a project, like the OP has, that is bugged. Sadly, after that each fleet member (+400 members) has filed in a bug report, that project is still up and blocking our progress as fleet.

Now, a cancel option would have our fleet "owner" given the opportunity to remove that bugged project, instead of becoming such frustrated that he voiced his opinion upon this boards in such way that he got banned from it. Sad to say, but that is the result of the incompetence from your side.
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited November 2012
    hrisvalar wrote: »
    Not doable with the current values for the different inputs. Just open any project that requires a 'large' sum of Expertise, and fill that one category up. The project will be instantly labeled as 90% complete. Now cancel that, reduce the input values to a generic contribution number, and start a cosmetic project. 180,000 Free Dilithium?

That refunding stuff from fleet projects is a problem, to either the fleet or the original contributors, isn't news. I'll do you one better, and give you an exploit for them to hide behind: Take this same Expertise project, start it, dump in the 'valuable' expertise and collect 1600 fleet credits for 40,000 expertise. Cancel project and restart. Rinse and repeat. 'Free' Fleet Credits.

No refunds are acceptable, though. And as for the exploit, or abusive fleet leadership, the solution is simple: Projects (that aren't filled and actively counting down toward completion) may be canceled no sooner than 7 days after they've been slotted in. All they have to do then is add a project selection timestamp, if there isn't one in there already anyway, and we're completely out of the woods.

That is very simple to avoid, do not just fill the contribution pool with a generic value. Fill it with the number of items that where put into it in the first place.

Cancel a project that puts 1000 dil, 2000 expertise, 100 data samples into the pool, your pool has then the same amount of items in it. And starting a project would first fill it self up from the pool, so no fill project, cancel, start and fill again to generate cheap credits. Sicne it will fill itself first from the already contributed parts.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Personally, I'd settle for having the ability to cancel a project to which no contributions have been made. That would let us "undo" accidental starts, but prevent abuse once someone has contributed.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited November 2012

be nice to since can't deposit blue fighter for scorpion which I have blue fighter hmm
  • captainmorgan210captainmorgan210 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This message has been deleted.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    In terms of starbase projects it would be nice if we could cancel future ones. I'm mainly thinking of when someone selects a tier 5 project than no one wants or sometimes on upgrade project. its possible to select one, while a upgrade is in progress not realising that the current project will unlock a more important one.

Its not major but it would help and give people more control.
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    we specifically did not intend for Fleet Projects to be cancelled as it could allow for a fleet's leadership to potentially TRIBBLE over its players (intentionally or not).

So the person who has the power in the fleet to kick players from it, invite other people, change my bank access, provision access along with other things I'm forgetting about that can potentially TRIBBLE over its players yet it would be a big deal if he cost me a few resources I already donated and gained fleet credits for? Does that just sound silly to anyone else? I once again must say you guys need someone from a psychology background on your team. I wonder how many players have been lost because of a basic capability that your system lacks to make up for its own inherit flaws like bugged projects. Every system needs the ability to handle internal errors because no matter how good a QA team is there will at some point be a problem.

No the real reason it was not built into the system was to prevent anyone from gaining a large amount of fleet credits using energy credits or some other resource.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Personally, I'd settle for having the ability to cancel a project to which no contributions have been made. That would let us "undo" accidental starts, but prevent abuse once someone has contributed.
    /signed +1

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • braindotwavbraindotwav Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    sean2448 wrote: »
    be nice to since can't deposit blue fighter for scorpion which I have blue fighter hmm

Do you have an old Advanced Peregrine wing? The Scorpion Fighter project needs plain Peregrines, not Advanced. The colors changed a while back, with the old green becoming blue, and old blue becoming purple, that could be causing the confusion.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dma1986 wrote: »
    Sure you're trying to use the right ones? You need the hangars bought from the shipyard.

I thought it was Cryptic's policy to stay out of intra-fleet politics?

Even if it's not, I have to politely disagree with your stance of not allowing the entire community access to a feature because it may be abused by a small minority, and those fleet leaders that do abuse it will soon find themselves alone in their fleet.
    I have to agree with DMA. Cancelling a major project like that would be a super-dic move. The fleet leader would have to shoot themself in the foot to do it.

@ Bareel: actually, those give such a pathetic amount of FC that it's kinda pointless.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • perfectcrypticperfectcryptic Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    How about the ability to cancel the next lined up project, or a project next up that has no contributions? Make it so it is empty I mean. There has been a couple of occasions when I have realised that I shouldn't have lined up another project in the reputation due to incoming changes etc...

The example I have in mind is because I lined up the Cutting Beam by mistake when I should have kept on ranking up the tiers (same with fleet/embassy). Better to rank up then go back and grind like crazy to unlock everything.
  • clannmacclannmac Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited November 2012

So, is this a sort of confession of "yeah, we WERE going to look into it, but we decided against it?"

It would be nice to cancel a project en lieu of another, even without getting anything back. For example, I have been leaving things "blank" (i.e., not putting another project in the queue) so when a Tier opens, we can start things previously unavailable, but a lot of my Fleet members want "things to build." Personally, I don't want to waste resources - you guys do KNOW some of these costs are WAY too high, don't you? (rhetorical) - on a project that really doesn't get us anywhere. It would be nice to swap something out if we wanted to; just sayin.'
    366400.jpg

Fleet Commander
    Caprica's Revenge
    (...actually active since November 2010, which may one day be important to archaeologists, but not to anyone else...)
  • jamesburtchelljamesburtchell Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i love it but i hate it
    The Emperor isn't please with Cryptic apparent lack of progress for the Empire. Lord Vader is on his way
  • ourmasterourmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Please allow as at last, to remove empty projects. This wouldn't cause any problem and time to implement close to nothing.
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You can cancel any Doff assignments maybe right click to cancel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    age03 wrote: »
    You can cancel any Doff assignments maybe right click to cancel.

You know, it's starting to get to the point where I laugh anytime I see you posting. This is REPUTATION SYSTEM, not Duty Officers. Read please.

Anyways, to OP, it specifically warns you whenever you start a project that I quote: "Warning: Once you start a reputation system project, this project cannot be cancelled and will continue to completion. Are you sure you wish to start this project?"

So either you were clicking too fast and missed it, or something.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You would think that queued projects (ones not active yet) and newly active ones without anything contributed could be cancelled. No loss of currency.

Thinking about it all makes me wonder if a pool system is a possible idea. 'Contribution projects' mearly converts goods into a fleet credit pool and all 'advancement projects' just require fleet credits to complete.
    Cancel a project, credits go back into fleet pool.
    Would also allow small fleets with members that have lots of fleet creds to spend it directly on base advancement projects instead of endlessly grinding fleet marks or dil to advance projects and get even more usless fleet creds that doesn't help them much with base advancement.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Dan mentioned in a recent blog that the devs are investigating the possibility of letting us cancel reputation projects. I have a Romulan project that I'm unable to complete because it won't let me contribute Peregrine Fighters and has a very high DOFF requirement. I have two Omega projects I want to cancel because they both want more dilithium than I'm prepared to give (obviously these were started before last weeks patch). So far on Tribble there is no ability to cancel. Is being able to cancel projects still something we can look forward to? I really don't want to bite the bullet and finish the Omega projects; and the Romulan project I'm not capable of completing even if I wanted to.

stuck on same issue I did a ticket and they are woring on it and it sucks I could be 3 now it is same bug as starbase mission
    some reason bound fighter can't turn in
    edited December 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited December 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
    edited December 2012
    Star Trek Gamers
    edited December 2012
    edited December 2012
    Star Trek Gamers