test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can anyone explain what food is for?

lecutestofborglecutestofborg Member Posts: 9 Arc User
I know this is a pretty "noob" question, but what purpose does food serve in STO? I read the description, but it seems you can only use it out of combat, and when I do use it I dont see my health points go up. Can anyone explain? :o
Post edited by lecutestofborg on

Comments

• azntrigboiazntrigboi Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    To feed tribbles...whether you want to or not...;)
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, I think the number one reason was tribble breeding.

Which is kind of pointless now, because of all the special tribbles like the IDIC one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Ok
    Some Doff missions require it
    Some actual missions include some elements of it as well
    You can eat it
    It has various values on various planets
    Give it to your crew and they will repair themselves during gaps in combat
    Live long and Prosper
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    To take up bank space, and force you to buy more.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Food doesn't give you extra hit points. It heals your hit points when you are low on health. It's pointless really because you will most likely have a Science bridge officer with you that can heal. And your health goes back up rather quickly out of combat if you wait a moment.
    edited November 2012
    Depends on the food a lot of it gives bonuses
    Live long and Prosper
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Feed the tribbles to make new tribbles. Feed the tribbles to the cannibal tribble. Feed the tribble carcasses to the security officer collecting them. Collect dilithium.
  • cletusdeadmancletusdeadman Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Female toons would dance in different ways with some foods (drinks actually).
    edited November 2012
    Female toons would dance in different ways with some foods (drinks actually).

Really ?

Do tell...
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited November 2012
    Nerve tonics (drozana bar tender)
    Live long and Prosper
  • portgazdportgazd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Nerve tonics make female toons dance seductively. thats the only drink that does it.

Another alternative for healing yourself out of combat is using a basic tribble that heals you out of combat (higher level tribbles gives you other buffs). It can be used repeatedly and doesn't get consumed. far better than any ordinary food item; However, there are other food items that can have different effects apart from healing such as dosi rotgut or ferasan chagg grass that is much more useful.

Apart from that there isn't much use for food items except for tribble breeding and a few assignments
    Vice-Chancellor of Federation Fleet Directive 010

DISENCHANTED
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    Feed the tribble carcasses to the security officer collecting them. Collect dilithium.

Wait, what? How do you do that? I've been selling all my Tribble carcasses on the Exchange for some extra energy credits, but an additional source of Dilithium would be most appreciated. XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
    edited November 2012
    Klingon characters can turn in tribbles in the great hall (security guard near door left side)

Tribbles must be DEAD
    Live long and Prosper
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The main thing, as others have mentioned, is the "crafting mini-game" of Tribble Breeding. At one point, I rather enjoyed the "challenge" of trying to breed one of each type of tribble. I only wish there was some accolade or something involved, but there isn't.

More info on Tribbles:
    http://www.stowiki.org/Guide:_Tribble_Breeding

There is also some food with very rare properties like Dosi Rot Gut (increased Max HP):
    http://www.stowiki.org/Dosi_Rotgut

And the Q's Winter Wonderland event last year (which I expect will return) has some other special food. More info on that, and other food, here:
    http://www.stowiki.org/Consumable/Food

Lastly, some food is required for specific DOff Assignments, missions, etc. These can be rather profitable on the Exchange, if you happen to have extras.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • trogolytetrogolyte Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    diotw wrote: »
    Wait, what? How do you do that? I've been selling all my Tribble carcasses on the Exchange for some extra energy credits, but an additional source of Dilithium would be most appreciated. XD

It's *NOT* Dil you get but Gold Pressed Latinum on the Klingon Faction Doff missions mentioned.
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Bah, I got my hopes up there. XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    diotw wrote: »

http://www.stowiki.org/Assignment:_Tribble_Bounty

Actually it's more of a Gold Pressed Latinum reward. Talk to a security officer (the same npc contacts that have the turn in contraband assignment) and select the tribble bounty assignment. It requires 10 tribble carcasses and you get 5 Dilithium and 1,000 GPL as a reward. More if it's a critical success.

http://www.stowiki.org/Security_Officer_%28KDF%29
    This says where you can find him.
    edited November 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Nerve tonics (drozana bar tender)

How does that work ?
    Is it the same nerve tonic made in 'night of the comet' ?
    Do I have to equip it, or consume it ?
    What dance emote do I have to pick ?

I'm dying to try this
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited November 2012
    portgazd wrote: »
    Nerve tonics make female toons dance seductively. thats the only drink that does it.
    This is what I've pieced together from google searches and multiple years old threads here at STO:
    if you have a female toon, you can do the Seductive dance by drinking nerve tonics.
    you just need a Nerve Tonic from the mission "Night of the Comet"

Nerve tonic for cassidy:
    * Hot
    * Sour
    * A little pick-me-up should do it.
    * In a stemmed glass
    * A drop of honey

You actually have to equip the drink and then drink it, not try to use the emote itself
    Anyone care to confirm ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• lmrtlmrt Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Food if or eating :pekledgenius:
    Yuxtapuestoelmono, not "Lmrt"