test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mk X/XI STF gear worth it early?

okkam88okkam88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I just returned from a hiatus and have started working on the new S7 rep and running a few normal STFs to get back in the swing of things. I have opened Tier 2 rep and can run projects for the Mk X MACO or Omega gear but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort/cost.

I'm sporting the old borg assimilated set and the Jem'Hadar ground set from the FE. Is it worth it to try and get the Mk X ground gear or would I be better off just stockpiling my resources and waiting until I can get the Mk XII version?
"Back off man....I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman
Post edited by okkam88 on

Comments

• cosmicdefilercosmicdefiler Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's worth it for a ground set for the 3 piece bonus of instant remodulation for elite ground STFs but that's about it.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    On the engines and deflector there isn't much difference, as +0.05 to turn rate or +1.2 to a skill is pretty insignificant. I don't have any of my reps up to 3 yet though, so not sure as to what the manufacturing cost difference is between 10 and 11 though. On shields however, that extra 100 points a facing, times 4 facings plus ship modifiers plus skill modifiers plus field generators plus tac team and emergency-to-shields, can all add up to a more noticeable difference. Still not huge, but noticable. And of course with set bonuses, everything has to match up anyways. I imagine a lot of ships are going to be running Omega 10/11 + Maco 12 in the near future.

If you're already packing a full Borg set, may as well stay with it. Engine is good, deflector is good, shield is meh but with the full set bonuses its probably better than any of the STF mk10 shields, and a heck of a lot cheaper.
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I wouldn't bother with the Mk X ground sets. The Mk XI are great stand ins until you can get the Mk XII and as a bonus they a) unlock costumes (or did, now you have an additional step or two) and b) can be passed to your BOFFs for a net increase in effectiveness.

The Mk X on the other hand do not help with unlocking a new costume and are so weak that if you try to do an ESTF with them you'll probably spend more time face down on the ground than you will shooting. It's easy enough to find good quality gear through replays so you really don't have any reason to be running around with the full Mk X sets if you're not going to be using them in NSTFs.

That's just the armor and shields though. The guns are equivalent to a mark up from their listed value so if you don't mind running the projects grabbing a Mk X Omega Force auto-carbine isn't a bad investment, nor is a Mk X Honor Guard Pulsewave/MACO Battle Rifle.

On the Space sets...If you know you're going to want one it might be better to wait and get the Mk XI version and then build for the Mk XII, if you don't know if you're going to want it but think you might try it out with the Mk X version. Those would be my recommendations anyway.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited November 2012
  • pug02pug02 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Don't bother with Mk X on the ground. You have to do soo little STFs now that taking your time to do one every second day is all you need. You also don't have to do ground either. You can do an easy space one if you are good in space. Or do ground if you are better in space.

You are no longer forced to do anything you suck in. Pick your strongest style and the easiest mission in that style. If you don't unlock the Mk X set or even the Mk XI set then at most you have to do about 75 STFs and you will have the Mk XII set and Tier 5.

Don't waist your time with the Queen either. No extra rewards there either. If you follow the method above you will have your Mk XII set in about 4 months.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • weylandjuarezweylandjuarez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have to disagree with most of the posts on here.

Whether the Mk X gear is worth investing in is a personal choice based on the kind of content you want to play.

Since the ultimate goal is likely Mk XII ground and space sets, why waste any time or Dilithium buying Mk XI or X?

Pre-Season 7, Mk XI space was quickly obtained through EDCs if necessary and would serve you very well in Cure and Khitomer Accord Elites as you played for the Proto Tech (which might take a while to get) - it served as a very useful stop-gap which didn't cost you anything except time.

With the rep system, you don't have to run anything except ISE and you can do that in an Aegis set or even the Jem'Hadar set - there's simply no reason to spend Dilithium on the Mk XI since you'll soon be replacing it.

Ground is a little different since if you want to play ground STFs, the Integrated Remod is essential - without it you'll be handicapped and as such, if you do want to play the ground missions I recommend you get a Mk X (yes, X) set of MACO or KHG whilst you're working your way towards Mk XII.

It's cheaper, quicker to get and gives you the most important part of the STF ground gear - the remod. Spending Dilithium on the Mk XI gear (unless it's for your Boffs) is a waste.
    Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
  • hroothvitnirhroothvitnir Member Posts: 322
    edited November 2012
    Mk XI gear will hold you just fine for a long time. the number jump from Mk XI to Mk XII isnt nearly as big as the X to XI.

So if your going from blue Mk XI normal gear to stf Mk XI huge difference. If you have fleet level items you may want to think about waiting for Mk XII as the difference between those is much smaller, basically just the set bonuses.
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's worth it for a ground set for the 3 piece bonus of instant remodulation for elite ground STFs but that's about it.

yes this is it.

otherwise just keep going to max rep
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I also disagree with a lot of posts here. People constantly whine about "why buy a set of gear you will replace?" Well maybe because in the long journey it takes to get to tier 5 and all the Mk XII gear, you might like to enjoy your STF's and gameplay along the way by having some decent gear. Its so easy to farm marks anyway, that you can easily replace any you spend. It annoys me that people are so miserly with all the gear, after all its there for a reason, otherwise they might as well just design some top tier gear and make you wait half a year for it. Where is the fun in that?

Dont be a scrooge, treat yourself to some half decent gear. It takes FOREVER to get to tier 5. Might as well make the ride a bit more enjoyable.

People say oh yeah wait until tier 5, it only takes 4 months. 4 months? You need to get it in perspective, in the real world, a work project that took 4 months would be big business.

The only thing i wouldnt recommend is the Mk X ground gear, it does suck in elite STF to be fair.

If you want some decent space gear in the interim, the Jem Hadar set is free and very good, especially the shields and engine (with the 2 set bonus). Or the Aegis set is good for ships with good shield modifiers/stats. People laugh at Aegis sometimes, but the passive set bonuses are great, just a shame its the equivalent to a Mk X set.

This is my contribution anyway, that is all.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Mk X and XI stf gear is worthless since you need to be level 50 to even HAVE the rep system (making mk X gear obsolete), and mk XI gear is only marginally more expensive (~25% increase in cost, at least as ground gear goes), and for the most part as space gear goes, fleet stuff is equal, if not outright better, and is cheaper, so... yeah. Mk XI and X gear is not worth it. The only STF gear that I would consider worth getting at mk XI is the Borg set, simply because the mk XII version is only marginally better, and isn't worth the cost of getting the mk XII compared to mk XI.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • eraserfisheraserfish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Mk X and XI stf gear is worthless since you need to be level 50 to even HAVE the rep system (making mk X gear obsolete), and mk XI gear is only marginally more expensive (~25% increase in cost, at least as ground gear goes), and for the most part as space gear goes, fleet stuff is equal, if not outright better, and is cheaper, so... yeah. Mk XI and X gear is not worth it. The only STF gear that I would consider worth getting at mk XI is the Borg set, simply because the mk XII version is only marginally better, and isn't worth the cost of getting the mk XII compared to mk XI.

Pretty much this.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    caldannach wrote: »
    I also disagree with a lot of posts here. People constantly whine about "why buy a set of gear you will replace?" Well maybe because in the long journey it takes to get to tier 5 and all the Mk XII gear, you might like to enjoy your STF's and gameplay along the way by having some decent gear. Its so easy to farm marks anyway, that you can easily replace any you spend.
    Sure, marks are worthless, you can't do anything else with them and they're the equivalent of EDCs...alas, nothing can be bought with marks alone. Everything costs a shedload of minerals, and the end result is that all that winds up pissed down the drain.
    It annoys me that people are so miserly with all the gear, after all its there for a reason
    It's there to troll noobs and impatient people who have absolutely no sense of long-term planning. It serves no actual legitimate purpose in the actual game. It's pure schmuckbait, designed to drain you of resources for nothing.
    otherwise they might as well just design some top tier gear and make you wait half a year for it. Where is the fun in that?
    I have no idea, but I've heard enough short-sighted stupidity justified in the name of "fun" to know that I hate fun. I had fun once. It was horrible. Never again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]