test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Some speculation on New Romulus

lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
I've been doing the New Romulus Reputation system. Upon hitting T1 Rep a few days ago, you get a interesting mission which leads to a cut scene. A bit of a spoiler, an unknown party brings it your (character's) attention. I've trying to future out who that part could be. And I've come up with a possibility who that could be. I think that "Future Man" from Enterprise has made his appearance in the game.

There is fan speculation that "Future Guy" may be Romulan. "Future Guy's" allegiances seem very mercurial. The third party that brings the cut scene to your character's attention can be taken to be for or against the parties depicted and can be seen to be favorable towards your character. The Suliban home world nearby also ties into it being "Future Man". The Tholian's presence in the sector and their temporal shenanigans, nay, most all of the temporal shenanigans in the game points to it possibly being "Future Man".
Post edited by lordfuzun on

Comments

• azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Interesting, but I don't see that being him.

I view "Future Guy" as one of those Anti-Federation fanatics that blamed the destruction of Romulus on the Federation and was determined to destroy the Federation before it even started.

Second, if Cryptic ties in the Iconian plot with the Temporal War (which I heard rumors recently), I could also see him as one of the Romulan agents that was given the time projection ability. (This is also connected to the Battle of Procyon in which they opened a gate to the future, which eventually the KDF and Federation ended up following to stop them).

So it wouldn't be logical for him to be aiding the Federation or the Klingon Empire to restore the Romulan Empire.

(Also, Future guy supposed to be in the 28th Century, not the 25th).

With recent talks about Sela, never know it could be one of her Agents. Or someone else we know in the STO storylines. Section 31? Maybe Slamek returns and this is his way of redeaming himself? (Or maybe he was working undercover?)
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    A bit of a spong, an unknown party brings it your (character's) attention

Spong? I was never handed anything, or directed anywhere. I just noticed by accident that there was a Task in the mission tracker to view the hidden camera.

Hmmmm
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have to agree with Fuzun... It seems possible, but we need more evidence to be sure.

Future Guy LIVED in the 28th century, what is to stop him from contacting peeps in the 25th century?

The idea of the Sphere Builders as the Iconians or an ally of the Iconians is an interesting one.... but I don't see any need for it. Or historical evidence.

Future Guy was an instigator, trying to tip the balance of the Temporal Cold War in his favor. What his goals were is unclear though. He actually HELPED Archer almost as much as he tried to hinder him. It does seem that the writers were at least thinking about making him a Romulan though.

One interesting pooint to consider is that when Daniels accidentally changed the timeline by shifting Archer completely into the 28th century, Future Guy wasn't around to talk to the Suliban anymore. Hmmm.... Interesting indeed..... Maybe if Archer hadn't stopped the Sphere Builders when he did they would have wiped out the Romulans?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dastahldastahl Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hmm.. sounds like you might need to get to the next tier to get more clues if these theories are right or not :)
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Also, Future guy supposed to be in the 28th Century, not the 25th).

I didn't say "Future Guy" physically here or from this era. I guess it would have been said he's made his influence felt in the game.
    With recent talks about Sela, never know it could be one of her Agents. Or someone else we know in the STO storylines. Section 31? Maybe Slamek returns and this is his way of redeaming himself? (Or maybe he was working undercover?)

Section 31? No really their style. If they draw you into one of their plots as one of their agent, they make sure your know it. Sela or agent there of? Not with Sela being help by the Iconians. And this doesn't seem like the Iconian style either. Slamek? He doesn't see to be mastermind material nor smart enough for that for of thing.
    edited November 2012
    jkstocbr wrote: »
    Spong? I was never handed anything, or directed anywhere. I just noticed by accident that there was a Task in the mission tracker to view the hidden camera.

Hmmmm

Spong. Well that a bit of a freudian slip. It's the name of a bit software I used update and support. I've typed "spong" so many times, beyond even muscle memory.:)
    edited November 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    Hmm.. sounds like you might need to get to the next tier to get more clues if these theories are right or not :)

Gah! You tease!! Now I must know more than ever.

I'm working on it. Let see....

1) Invent time distortion drive.
    2) ....
    3) Profit!!
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    I didn't say "Future Guy" physically here or from this era. I guess it would have been said he's made his influence felt in the game.

You said:
    I think that "Future Man" from Enterprise has made his appearance in the game.
    The way you said that sounds more he did it himself than him using an agent.
    Section 31? No really their style. If they draw you into one of their plots as one of their agent, they make sure your know it. Sela or agent there of? Not with Sela being help by the Iconians. And this doesn't seem like the Iconian style either. Slamek? He doesn't see to be mastermind material nor smart enough for that for of thing.

As Stahl said, we will find out shortly.

But to discount Section 31 automatically is rather limiting, because they are a secret agency, and while their apperances in Star Trek always like "here we are", Cryptic can change it around to having them operate in the shadows again. And leaving a secret message in leaking information is just what agencies like the CIA and Mossad do.

And Sela wasn't working with Iconians, she was against the Tal Shiar, who works for the Iconians.

And don't discount Slamek, its very plausible to have him as an agent given his circumstances. We seen similar plots in spy movies for generations.
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    it is Tal Shiar all along.

At least i would do it if i were in :)
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Tease. :P
  • satinaviansatinavian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    But to discount Section 31 automatically is rather limiting, because they are a secret agency, and while their apperances in Star Trek always like "here we are", Cryptic can change it around to having them operate in the shadows again. And leaving a secret message in leaking information is just what agencies like the CIA and Mossad do.
    As this quest is again C&P for the Klingon side, i really doubt, they would use either a Federation or Klingon faction as this would need to make differences in the future.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The chance of it being future guy specifically is unlikely but not impossible. either way i would like to see him make an appearance again.

but we do know the tholians are sniffing around the place, and they have been involved in the temporal cold war. the new sector has the suliban system which is so far unused and could indicate the next FE series will be time travel based (especially as they took the time to make timeships, bridge and uniforms, they often like to then use them in episodes).

so there could well be some time travel involved at some stage.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think it's likelier that we will be dealing with a telepathic virus.

Candidates include the Komar, Redjac's species, the Pah Wraiths. My hunch is the ancient lifeforms whose tech was found on Camus II.

That planet had mysterious radiation as well.

And the New Romulus Datachips I've gotten so far seem to hint at the presence of a telepathic predator. Logs full of Romulans with voices in their heads, going mad. There's a reason why the ancient Romulan settlers left this planet alone. I'm half expecting to discover celebium.

Of note is that the advanced species on Camus II died out... you guessed it... 200,000 years ago.

When the Iconians were bombarded. When the Borg became cybernetic.
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    And I've come up with a possibility who that could be. I think that "Future Man" from Enterprise has made his appearance in the game.

I think that if Future Guy was a Romulan, or really if there was any Romulan with time travel powers, they would be trying to stop the destruction of their homeworld, rather than messing around in the 22nd century or anytime else (unless they think the explosion was a good thing and want to support the idea of a new, open Romulan society on New Romulus, and disapprove of the Iconian involvement with the Tal Shiar, but I think having an intact homeworld would trump other issues).

I'm much more interested in the relationship between the Iconians and the Tholians. My theory is that the Tholians are the Iconians - they're mucking about with crazy dimensional transports, they can destroy Borg with ease*... I bet in the future the Tholians went back in time, became the Iconians, and then went off the radar to assist their past selves in the present time.

*I guess that technically applies to Starfleet and the KDF as well these days, but I think we can be sure that they're not the Iconians.
    edited November 2012
    I think it's likelier that we will be dealing with a telepathic virus.

Candidates include the Komar, Redjac's species, the Pah Wraiths. My hunch is the ancient lifeforms whose tech was found on Camus II.

That planet had mysterious radiation as well.

And the New Romulus Datachips I've gotten so far seem to hint at the presence of a telepathic predator. Logs full of Romulans with voices in their heads, going mad. There's a reason why the ancient Romulan settlers left this planet alone. I'm half expecting to discover celebium.

Of note is that the advanced species on Camus II died out... you guessed it... 200,000 years ago.

You've gotten lucky with the datachips. All I've gotten is "Insert History Text Here".
    edited November 2012
    You've gotten lucky with the datachips. All I've gotten is "Insert History Text Here".

Submit bug reports. I got one of those, and reported it. I had hoped it was just one, but if it's multiple that's a bummer.
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    felderburg wrote: »
    Submit bug reports. I got one of those, and reported it. I had hoped it was just one, but if it's multiple that's a bummer.

Can't tell if your serious or not.

On topic, I actually think that it's D'Tan that messaged you and hid the recording. With the Tal'Shiar taking an active interest he has to be careful of his moves. If he is too overt they may just decide to risk making a martyr of him, but at the same time he wants the Romulans to start over and doing it by hiding things in the manner that is currently customary for Romulans is a bad start and one that's completely opposed to his expressed views. Plus, while we've seen very little of him as far as characterization is concerned I find it plausible that he'd find it an amusing irony to use the "old ways" of subterfuge and secrets to facilitate the openness and cooperation that he wants to make the cornerstone of the New Romulus community.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Whoohoo! My main toon reaches T2 tonight :D oooh the intrigue!
    server_hamster6.png
    edited November 2012
    canis36 wrote: »
    Can't tell if your serious or not.

I find it plausible that he'd find it an amusing irony to use the "old ways" of subterfuge and secrets to facilitate the openness and cooperation that he wants to make the cornerstone of the New Romulus community.

Hadn't thought of that. That seems fairly likely, given that the hidden camera is in his office - one would think he had his place swept for bugs.

And yes, I'm serious about the bug reports. The Romulus history chip I got should not say "HISTORY TEXT GOES HERE," so clearly it's bugged. I'm also serious about it being a bummer if there's more than one that Cryptic forgot to fill in.

I'm also serious about the Tholians being the Iconians or proto-Iconians. I really think that's what's going on.
  • squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Where's the info that that''s when the Borg went full cyber?
    (curious, not disputing)
    felderburg wrote: »
    I'm much more interested in the relationship between the Iconians and the Tholians. My theory is that the Tholians are the Iconians - they're mucking about with crazy dimensional transports, they can destroy Borg with ease*... I bet in the future the Tholians went back in time, became the Iconians, and then went off the radar to assist their past selves in the present time.

*insert image macro of Castle's train of thought jumping off its rails*

I don't think they even need to be temporal loopers to fit, actually. The EU is all over the map in this regard, from Tholians being extragalactic (in the Starfleet Battles setting), related to an ancient civilization in the Taurus Expanse (Vanguard novels - would be located to the west of the Gamma Orionis block, tho, long way away from Iconia, but with the Gate diaspora...), long-lived, short-lived, living not quite in linear time... pretty much anything could be projected onto them at this point. What we've seen of them onscreen suggests even when many other local civilizations were barely puttering around with warp drive and the odd scrap tossed back from he future, they were playing with exotic physics...

/wildmassguessing
    SQUIRREL!
    edited November 2012
    Where's the info that that''s when the Borg went full cyber?
    (curious, not disputing)

*insert image macro of Castle's train of thought jumping off its rails*

I don't think they even need to be temporal loopers to fit, actually. The EU is all over the map in this regard, from Tholians being extragalactic (in the Starfleet Battles setting), related to an ancient civilization in the Taurus Expanse (Vanguard novels - would be located to the west of the Gamma Orionis block, tho, long way away from Iconia, but with the Gate diaspora...), long-lived, short-lived, living not quite in linear time... pretty much anything could be projected onto them at this point. What we've seen of them onscreen suggests even when many other local civilizations were barely puttering around with warp drive and the odd scrap tossed back from he future, they were playing with exotic physics...

/wildmassguessing

When the Borg first showed up, Guinan said they were hundreds of thousands of years old. The books don't agree with this but that generally has to do with books trying to make the Borg originate on Earth or with humans. This has resulted in timelines that are based on the shows indicating 200,000 years as the minimum age of the Borg.

The Borg's first appearance was within a few episodes of the Iconians. The Iconians' prime weapon was a computer virus. The Borg plot was planned well in advance and was the reason for the mysterious loss of colonies in the neutral zone before... So I think the writers were shooting for the Iconians virus as an anti-Borg measure.

I'd ask Steve Gerber, who created the Iconians, but he died a few years ago. Might be worth asking someone like David Gerrold if the Iconians v. Borg rivalry was planned... Because it seems to have been at least something they were hinting at or would have toyed with. And maybe again later because the Ferengi had a low species number, hinting the Borg had torn through the Alpha Quadrant once before or that the Ferengi had traveled very far.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I hit T1 last night on one of my main toons, and was shocked to see this.. :eek:

Nicely put together little cut scene and subplot. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

I like the theory of Future Gut from Enterprise, but agree don't think its him. If the Romluans of the future wanted to manipulate the past why the 22nd century, when they could have went to a bunch of other moments in time to come out on top.

Iconians, possibly. Right now I have too little to base a theory on.

One thing that make me curious, what are these Romulan Data logs I saw mwntioned above, and where do you get them from?

Are these the ones from the Vault missions?
    edited November 2012
    rifter1969 wrote: »
    I hit T1 last night on one of my main toons, and was shocked to see this.. :eek:

Nicely put together little cut scene and subplot. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

I like the theory of Future Gut from Enterprise, but agree don't think its him. If the Romluans of the future wanted to manipulate the past why the 22nd century, when they could have went to a bunch of other moments in time to come out on top.

Iconians, possibly. Right now I have too little to base a theory on.

One thing that make me curious, what are these Romulan Data logs I saw mwntioned above, and where do you get them from?

Well, we don't know the specifics of Future Guy. One book has him part Sulliban, part Reman, and part Romulan.

The producers of Enterprise planned him to be Romulan.

The STO version may be some Reman descended from Obisek or something, trying to ensure he comes into being.

So maybe we're creating Future Guy.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited November 2012

IIRC the Romulan Data logs were replaced by Romulan Marks at the start of S7
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Future guy is an intriguing thought, and though I didn't particularly like the temporal cold war storyline when they first started it, it kind of grew on me.

One thing I though after watching Enterprise a number of times, was the fact that Future Guy, did not necessarily HAVE to be Romulan... just because the enemy has pointed ears?

Well, what about the TNG episode, Gambit (?), there is a Vulcan who is the main antagonist, so why can't future guy be a Vulcan form the future who is trying to manipulate the timeline.

Sure, it could also be the Iconians, but I think that would be too obvious. A little known enemy, someone we haven't seen in a while maybe.

My first though would be the little insect like mind creatures from TNG that nearly took over Starfleet. We never saw them again since that Season 1 episode. But I don't think this is their MO.
    edited November 2012
    bluedarky wrote: »
    IIRC the Romulan Data logs were replaced by Romulan Marks at the start of S7

I don't know what the name of the things that used to be received from the Vault are, but the data logs referred to when talking about the lore of New Romulus are data logs just like the ones you get from Commander Viala at the Academy to learn about the Path to 2409, except that they're tinted green and give the history of the Romulans that settled on the planet thousands of years ago.

You get them by turning in New Romulus Research (or something like that) to the New Romulus Historian (southern part of the staging area, go south a bit and a DOff icon will show on the map) and she'll give you a DOff mission that takes WAY too long to complete given how many research things we get.

Seriously, how long is it gonna take to complete a set of New Romulus research logs? I'm only getting one a day, if that.