test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Xbox 360 Controller Keybinds: Updated for S7

astroroblaastrorobla Member Posts: 144 Arc User
I've been using an Xbox 360 controller on the game pretty much since launch and have been developing my key binds over time, starting with some of the great work from others in the forums. Since S7 I've been reworking my approach a bit to make it a little easier to correlate the toolbar with the controller states and wanted to share these back to the community.

You can find the updated scheme in this Google Drive folder.

- x360-ground-s7.txt - ground keys
- x360-space-s7.txt - space keys
- x360-STO-Layout-s7.pdf - graphical guide to power slotting and controller maps
- x360-Controls-Guide.jpg - suggested control settings to interact nicely with controller

The scheme is based on a 3-state shift system (unshifted/left trigger/left bumper) that combines with the buttons and dpad to give you 14 x 3 = 42 controls. Some are system-level binds, while the rest map to your power tray.

In this update I've tried to arrange the tray slots more intuitively mostly with buttons in columns and shift states along rows. I've built both space and ground around similar layouts to make it easier to learn (though ground has a lot of unused slots that can be assigned to BOFF abilities).

- Weapons use right trigger/bumper (and extra combo using both)
- Career-specific abilities map to Start/Back buttons
- Devices are invoked from shifted D-pad selections, arranged roughly in up/down right/left pattern
- BOFF/Kit abilities are mapped to ABXY buttons and are in the right columns
- Joystick clicks are used for scanning, interaction, and movement commands
- Shields/engines/ground BOFF instructions, use the D-pad

Note that while the right stick click generally works as the interact/select action, sometimes in OK/Cancel or Respawn dialogs I still must revert to the A button.

The full info on using keybind files has been documented many times on the forums, but the quick tutorial is:

- Open the Options window to the "Keybinds" tab.
- Select Space in the popup
- In the chat window enter /bind_load_file x360-space-v1.txt
- Switch to Ground
- In the chat window enter /bind_load_file x360-ground-v1.txt
- Drag the abilities into the appropriate slots following the PDF guide

I hope people find these useful, and with a little reading on the STO wiki you should be able to adapt these to your own taste. I'll try to answer any questions about them in this post.

Note that I tend to run space in the 4-tray mode to see all the mapped trays along with the powers grouped by officer. In ground the scheme has a lot of unmapped slots but rather than reduce it to a 2-tray layout I've kept it in 3-tray mode to match the space layout. I've taken leftover slots and mapped them to numeric keypad keys, arranged in matching patterns. I've also added some keybinds for PVE (X) and DOFFs (F).

Original (archived) thread
Now a top-rated spotlight mission!
STO-sig.jpg
Post edited by astrorobla on

Comments

• snowball4774snowball4774 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    hi there, I'm not getting the full throttle, or increase/decrease throttle to work. and I can't fire all weapons. any help would be appreciated.

sincerely,
    Andrew

P.S. you can post replies here or send me an email. denocfarnrog@yahoo.com

Thank you!
  • phxsiskophxsisko Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I tried using these bindings with my Xbox 360 controller and they fail...hard. Sorry, but not being able to use the right thumbstick as a free camera really kills this. I'm pretty sure its a problem with STO and not these key bindings. Keep in mind, I am playing the game on a new system /w a fresh Steam install. It's really sad that the built in 360 support at launch was better than what I'm seeing now. Why didn't this game get just ONE update in 2+ years to allow it to work correctly out of the box?

Also, before some mouth-breather feels he has to explain the virtues of a keyboard and mouse, not all of us can play intensive mice/keyboard action for hours on end. I work in IT and work on a K/M all day, my wrists needs some relief when I get home and a controller helps with that. I also have a HTPC that would seriously benefit from some amount of official support.

I WAS about to buy some Zen and play, but now (after 2 hours of fiddling) I'm just going to shelve this game for another 6+ months and see if it gets better support.
  • pcscipiopcscipio Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    phxsisko wrote: »
    I tried using these bindings with my Xbox 360 controller and they fail...hard. Sorry, but not being able to use the right thumbstick as a free camera really kills this. I'm pretty sure its a problem with STO and not these key bindings. Keep in mind, I am playing the game on a new system /w a fresh Steam install. It's really sad that the built in 360 support at launch was better than what I'm seeing now. Why didn't this game get just ONE update in 2+ years to allow it to work correctly out of the box?

Also, before some mouth-breather feels he has to explain the virtues of a keyboard and mouse, not all of us can play intensive mice/keyboard action for hours on end. I work in IT and work on a K/M all day, my wrists needs some relief when I get home and a controller helps with that. I also have a HTPC that would seriously benefit from some amount of official support.

I WAS about to buy some Zen and play, but now (after 2 hours of fiddling) I'm just going to shelve this game for another 6+ months and see if it gets better support.

can you tell me how exactly can you bind the right thumbstick as a free camera please; i search all the forum to find this.
  • wakerwwakerw Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I wasnt able to use the rstick for free camera for a while either, but i found a fix. ok, i know this sounds crazy, but i went to the options menu, and bound target lock under rstick down, and camera turn to face under rstick up, just to try and get the camera doing something with the rstick. Then i started moving the stick around, which moved the camera, even though the movement was a bit choppy. so i cleared the rstick binds i had just put in and now it works fine. hope this helps somebody!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wake@phoenixrw, Supreme Chancellor of Roughneck Alpha Fleet.
  • cappadocappado Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have never had experience of keybinds or the 360 controller on a PC until I played this game. However after a little googling and persistence I would now say i am fairly adept at it. It is not hard and maybe takes an hour or so to implement your control scheme, your way. Theres an excellent guide here :

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=91705

Which not only details the basics but talks in detail about potential control schemes and the options they allow for.

As for the great free cam on rstick issue. You will find that it is alreay there when you start to bind. The isssue tends to be that both on ground and especially in space the camera autolocks to target. Simply press X to revert to free cam mode and rstick on an xbox pad will be the free cam control.

I also use a variant of a three shift system the results are great.

Finally if you really cant get the bindings to fit in your headspace then simply find and grab a copy of the excellent xpadder. A simple little program that will allow you to create multiple control options for an xbox controller. It is especially useful as it automatically allows you to bind all relative mouse movements to a particular stick or the D-pad, in a simple click and assign GUI.
  • kryimssonkryimsson Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    has anyone tried using xpadder?
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNIQUE TO ALL TEMPORAL ACCORD AGENCIES:

The Department of Temporal Investigations has determined that this thread is a temporal anomaly. It should have died after there were no new posts after 30 days or more. DIT agents have acted to correct the anachronism and the proper timeline has been restored.

Please remember to check the dates of threads; and if you find an old thread which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies just report it and avoid posting in it per the Temporal Prime Directive.

Please bear in mind that re-posting in "necro'd" threads is considered a form of spamming.

Note that you're more than welcome to start a new timeline -- I mean, thread -- on the topic or to post in an existing active thread.

Live Long and Prosper,
    Bluegeek
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.