test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Romulus Creation Timelapse

tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
edited November 2012 in The Art of Star Trek Online
I like me some timelapse photography, and it occurred to me while I was building New Romulus, that it might be fun to see the creation of a whole zone in a few seconds. So I started taking screenshots. 1 a day (or so, some anomolies), from the day the map files were first made back at the beginning of August, until today. 62 images in total, from 14 different positions.

And. . . here they are. Hope you enjoy seeing the process, warts and all.

Staging Area
Starting Platform
The Wall and Reman City
The Atlai looking toward the new bridges.
The Atlai looking toward the Mama Nanov.
Mama Nanov & Waterfalls
Vastam Peaks
The Atlai from the old Bridge
Paehhos Crater
Fallen Tree/Forest
Hwael Ruins
Epohh Fields
The Atlai from the New Bridges
Overall from the Ocean

Note that what's shown here is just the changes made within the game editor from day to day. You'll see that the first images already have a good amount of terrain sculpted, and some very rough textures applied. Those were all made outside the engine in the preceding days.

You'll also see some assets just pop in like they were nothing. Let me assure you that there was lots of work being done on them for days or weeks within 3D Studio Max, and were just updated later with more finished assets. (note, the Bridges, City Wall, Nanov for examples).

Lastly, you may notice some views (the Crater, and the Fallen Tree) start off with the camera underground. As you can see, there was a lot of terrain (and other) changes over the course of the map work. I didn't pick camera locations until most things were roughly in place, then I used some programmer magic to take my computer back in time, and get the shots from earlier in the project.

Anyway, it was fun working on this map, and I'm glad the timelapses turned out for the most part. Hope you like them too.
Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
Post edited by tacofangs on

Comments

• ltsmithltsmith Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Really like the time you put into making the time-lapse this just shows how much work goes into these projects keep it up. These are really nice to watch, do you think that maybe we can see more of these in the future I know that this seems like it was just done for fun, but there is just so much more that could be shown like maybe a time-lapse of a Starship being designed and created.

Have you watched any minecraft time-lapse videos those are a lot of fun to watch too?

EDIT: Any possibility that any of these could be made into video format and add some music to them, those are always a lot of fun to watch and kill some time.
  • neridiumneridium Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Really good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Just shows how much hard work went into it and for me it had the wow factor so job well done. :)
  • cohas79cohas79 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is awesome guys. love seeing how much work goes into making STO! Keep up the good work
    Have No Fear! Cohas is Here!
  • eklinaareklinaar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is really cool! Thanks for posting this, tacofangs!
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Super cool stuff Taco, thanks for sharing!
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Nicly done Taco, looking forward to more in the future when you got the time.
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • voiceoftemprusvoiceoftemprus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Wow, thank you for sharing these, very awesome to see!
    "CO once had devs, but they all fled to STO and NW because they feared Caliga." -matixzon
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for sharing, I always found it cool to see how some of this stuff comes together.
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That's awesome. Thank you for sharing. I can see that a lot of time and refinement went into New Romulus.
  • skiffy1skiffy1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is awesome Taco! Thanks for sharing.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2012
    No problem, it was just done for fun. I showed it at our morning meeting today, and Geko said we should post them. I wanted to, but didn't expect it would fly. Thanks to Dan an Brandon for giving me the go ahead.

I'd love to see timelapse's done for other asset creation, but it's a little harder to pull that off. It's easier to do in engine since we can set a point, and always take the same shot from the same position.
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    These should be posted straight on the homepage. Actually I'm sure it'll also interest non-STO gaming geeks as well.
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    No problem, it was just done for fun. I showed it at our morning meeting today, and Geko said we should post them. I wanted to, but didn't expect it would fly. Thanks to Dan an Brandon for giving me the go ahead.

I'd love to see timelapse's done for other asset creation, but it's a little harder to pull that off. It's easier to do in engine since we can set a point, and always take the same shot from the same position.

And I'm glad they did! Dang those are cool. Helps you appreciate it all the more. :)
  • phantasrsphantasrs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    These are great to see. New Romulus is a gorgeous environment and I love seeing all the work that you all out into it. I hope that you guys find time to expand places like Andoria with this much care, or add other worlds to freely explore, like Betazed maybe? I love exploring the strange new worlds you create.
    PhantasmagoricRS
    On the forums September 2009
  • burchenallburchenall Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Wow! thank you very much for sharing and taking the time to prepare those ^^
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for sharing Tumerboy.

Can you give some insight as to why the city background changed so dramatically, e.g. going from what would have been buildings behind the wall to nothing (visible). You probably changed tac considering its a 'new' colony etc, but maybe some of those original tall buildings could have remained as metalwork structures in development like some assets of the wall have? Perhaps you took them out completely since we don't have a great vantage point on the ground (for the most part) to even see that much behind the wall to notice any metalframe buildings in any case?

p.s. The one thing I'd add to the map myself, would be taking a leaf from the Salt Mine missions where you evacuate the miners, except in reverse. I'd like to see that amazing Romulan shuttle come in to land, some Romulan settler NPCs spawn from it, get greeted by one of D'tan's lackeys and then walk themselves up to and into the gates of the city. The shuttle takes off, and soon another arrives etc. It would give a greater feeling of activity to the area perhaps.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I wanna go!! Can I come play with your toyz pleazzzzz TB? :D

Seriously though, thats some great work. The New Romulus map is visually outstanding, especially the drop close to the staging area ramp that dives down to the Reman section. Cant wait to go down there and explore!

Thats how good maps are made, teasing the user with areas that cant be explored....yet.... :D
    server_hamster6.png
  • crunch2600crunch2600 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    A very interesting look into the way you work. And it's great work. Thanks!
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Those are awesome. Thank you so much for New Romulus - a new world to explore is exactly what we needed in the game.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That's really interesting, I like seeing the constant changes made on textures, colors (always softer after a few weird attempts) or props size (often getting much smaller than initillay intended).

Why do you often make props smaller btw?
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • obertheromulanobertheromulan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Nice, very interesting to see this. Thanks for posting it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2012
    Thanks everyone. Glad you like them.
    nynik wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing Tumerboy.

Can you give some insight as to why the city background changed so dramatically, e.g. going from what would have been buildings behind the wall to nothing (visible). You probably changed tac considering its a 'new' colony etc, but maybe some of those original tall buildings could have remained as metalwork structures in development like some assets of the wall have? Perhaps you took them out completely since we don't have a great vantage point on the ground (for the most part) to even see that much behind the wall to notice any metalframe buildings in any case?

The original "buildings" were just big whiteboxes, and were only there to represent the fact that that big circle was the city. It hadn't been decided what that whole thing was going to look like at that point, and it didn't matter for me to build the rest of the zone. Just had to be representational.
    nynik wrote: »
    p.s. The one thing I'd add to the map myself, would be taking a leaf from the Salt Mine missions where you evacuate the miners, except in reverse. I'd like to see that amazing Romulan shuttle come in to land, some Romulan settler NPCs spawn from it, get greeted by one of D'tan's lackeys and then walk themselves up to and into the gates of the city. The shuttle takes off, and soon another arrives etc. It would give a greater feeling of activity to the area perhaps.

I agree, that would be super cool, but would require custom animations, and likely blocking off the whole landing pad to players.

Awesome TACO, simply amazing the amount of work that goes into these projects. It was fairly obvious from first arriving on NR that a lot of thought, care, hard work and talent had gone into the whole map, but these gifs really show just how much and then some.

One question, what gif creator did you use as I'm always on the lookout for a good one for my fleet website.

Cheers

ADDED: Again please consider a day night cycle, it would be awesome

Thanks, I just assembled them in Photoshop that we have here at work (CS4 or 5 I think?)

A day/night cycle could be nice, but it takes significantly more time to set up than people might think. And I didn't have that kind of time for NR.

diogene0 wrote: »
    That's really interesting, I like seeing the constant changes made on textures, colors (always softer after a few weird attempts) or props size (often getting much smaller than initillay intended).

Why do you often make props smaller btw?

Not sure. What props are you talking about?
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The evolution of the giant Derptopus is interesting.
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2012
    Derptopus

This nickname made me laugh out loud. And not one of those phony "lols" you see online, either.

Internally, we didn't know exactly what that thing was going to look like until New Romulus was well on its way. We knew it'd be a large river-dwelling beast, so we took to calling it The River Pig internally.

But I think I like Derptopus a lot more.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • birdofprey17birdofprey17 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Excellent work on New Romulus !! Is this type of map something that the devs are looking to implement on other worlds, such as Andoria for Andorian reputation, or Vulcan for Vulcan reputation?
    A day/night cycle could be nice, but it takes significantly more time to set up than people might think. And I didn't have that kind of time for NR.

Now that New Romulus is out, what are the possibilities of going back to add in the day/night cycle?
  • obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Very impressive stuff :) Although I would have preferred that the Altai had remained a wide, strong river, instead of the more creek-like tributary it currently resembles. Was this changed due to lack of swimming tech in STO (required for traversing a big, deep river on foot)?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • mightionnymightionny Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This nickname made me laugh out loud. And not one of those phony "lols" you see online, either.

Internally, we didn't know exactly what that thing was going to look like until New Romulus was well on its way. We knew it'd be a large river-dwelling beast, so we took to calling it The River Pig internally.

But I think I like Derptopus a lot more.

Is the appellation "Derptopus" to be the lifeform's official name? :D

Yes, it's a "Galaxy's Child" reference...
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Not sure. What props are you talking about?

Statues, tents, the big pink blob you call "nanov"... All these got smaller over the time!
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • mellestadstomellestadsto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Wow, that's super cool, Taco! Very neat to see something unique like that, thanks for sharing.