test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Vesta Bridge, mayhaps?

kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited December 2012 in The Art of Star Trek Online
So, I got the Vesta class. Looks beautiful, love being able to customize the exterior. But.. I can't find a bridge that fits it. Any plans on making an exclusive Vesta bridge? or was that sacrificed for the different hulls?
Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
Post edited by kyeto13 on

Comments

• Options
    jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The Voyager Bridge pack fits it really well in my opinion. Decently roomy, lots of 'tech gadgets' and officer space. If not for the Intrepid MSD, I think it would be just about perfect. I use the Peace bridge on mine.

Though an actual Vesta class bridge would be cool.
  • Options
    capnbluddcapnbludd Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'd like to see a new bridge for the Vesta as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
  • Options
    foxwaterfoxwater Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    not to drag up a old topic but Id love to see a vesta bridge set too, considering that it deserves its own MSD, and its own engine room and so on!

Pretty please. Give it as a bonus to those who bought the 3 pack, though id probably buy it seperate anyway.
  • Options
    neurodopamineneurodopamine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    3-pack bonus bridge.
    Do it.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    capnbludd wrote: »
    I'd like to see a new bridge for the Vesta as well.

I recall seeing a fan reimagining of what a Vesta bridge could look like when doing a search for one. It was basically an oval Prometheus bridge with some slight modifications. It looked nice though and it's probably something Cryptic could easily and falls in line with retexturing something we already have.

Fan Reimagining Vesta Bridge. Post link where with the image. Cryptic/PWE. You should hire this person!
  • Options
    hroothvitnirhroothvitnir Member Posts: 322
    edited November 2012
    I have never understood starfleets obsession with placing command staff near elevated areas of a ship for them to fall off of at the first torpedo strike.

Those steps right at the front of the captains chair just look difficult to walk up. Any civ engineers with a better idea care to weigh in on that?
  • Options
    connectamabobconnectamabob Member Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well, it's designed for looks, not practicality (like most stuff in Trek, or 99% of all TV/Movie sci-fi, really). Once you start getting annoyed at that stuff it's kinda hard to stop. Why no seat belts? What's with all the space wasting, tessellation-unfriendly interior shapes? Why put the ship's CIC where it's literally a target bulls-eye, just begging to be chipped off the hull by enemy fire? Why are the decks stacked ventral to dorsal instead of stern to bow? Why stack decks at all when you've got room-by-room artificial gravity?

At the end of the day, you just gotta accept/embrace the fact that underneath the more modern art style and flirty relationship with real science, Star Trek is ultimately rooted in the "Flash Gordon" category of realism.

The Vesta bridge pictured looks "meh" to me, but then these illustrator cutaways always look that way to me even with bridges that I love, so I'd prolly have to see actual walkaround/ on set views to actually know whether I'd like it or not.

*EDIT: Actually, looking closer, it appears to just be a "Blaze" Prometheus bridge with the middle stretched in Photoshop. I use that bridge in-game for my Excelsior. It's the best bridge for a movie-era ship, if a bit plain, but I dunno if I'd want the same just with an extra leaf in the middle for a post-TNG uber ship. Just seems really lazy, both as a potential game asset, and as fan art (sorry, I know that's harsh, but it is what it is).
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I think the Vesta should definitely get it's own bridge, especially since it's actually three separate ships and not just three costumes for one ship (or three ships sharing one costume, like the Oddy). I just don't think the Prometheus bridge is right stylistically. It's a little out of date, timeline-wise, and kinda looks even older (more like late movie-era instead of late TNG).

IMO something in the style of the C-store Oddy bridge, since that's more concurrent timeline-wise, but a little more compact and/or utilitarian looking, and with a darker scheme to go with the default hull scheme. Sort of the Intrepid to the Oddy's Galaxy, if that makes any sense.

What I've wanted to see for a long time in Trek, and I think this would be perfect for the Vesta, is a bridge with an Imax dome style viewscreen. Like Voyager's astrometrics lab display, but on the bridge.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    No, you're definably right: there is no current bridge that feels right for the Vesta. Either it's a half-decent style fit, but too big, or it's the right size, but the wrong style. That's what I was getting at by implication (guess I didn't make it clear enough).

But that plus the fact that it's actually three ships, and C-store ships to boot, means IMO it's actually pretty weird/glaring that it didn't get its own bridge pack. If the Vesta doesn't merit a bridge pack, or at lest one unique bridge, then WTF actually will?

And this is coming from someone who doesn't own a Vesta, so this isn't just a Vesta fanboys whining for more stuff. It just doesn't seem to make sense, even from the outside, and that doesn't bode well for future special ship releases.