test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I need a quick favor from your guys.

jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
Can someone please, without a strongly pro- or anti-Cryptic diatribe, explain to me in great detail what everyone is so upset about?

From my point of view all I see is a slightly reduced Dil income, an irritatingly jacked up DOff grinder cost, slightly reduced STF dil rewards, and some time-gated grinds that don't take that long to play.

None of this strikes me as game-killing or fury-inducing. No matter how I try to look at it, all I see is some minor irritations.

So what's up with the rage? What am I missing? I must be missing something if so many people are this angry, right? Or is my gut instinct right and this is just the usual baseless forum rage that cries doom every season and fails to come true?
Post edited by jexsamx on

Comments

• Options
    rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    typically for every 10 negative posts there is 1 positive post, so it is just perfectly normal right now.
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Can someone please, without a strongly pro- or anti-Cryptic diatribe, explain to me in great detail what everyone is so upset about?

From my point of view all I see is a slightly reduced Dil income, an irritatingly jacked up DOff grinder cost, slightly reduced STF dil rewards, and some time-gated grinds that don't take that long to play.

None of this strikes me as game-killing or fury-inducing. No matter how I try to look at it, all I see is some minor irritations.

So what's up with the rage? What am I missing? I must be missing something if so many people are this angry, right? Or is my gut instinct right and this is just the usual baseless forum rage that cries doom every season and fails to come true?

STFs aren't giving out dilithium, that was never suppose to be the case. It was supposed to be reduced, which already had people up in arms. Then they stuck by a complete removal of dilithium without so much as a peep in the patch notes.

Most companies might get the benefit of the doubt and their players would assume its a bug. But Cryptic has a terrible reputation.

On top of that, the fleet actions, which were suppose to be the new source of dilithium, are broken.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Supply is down at the same time demand is up. Just when ya really need that easy dil to pay for everything, there is less of it.
  • Options
    defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It would be my opinion that people in STO have gotten used to obtaining dilithium in a way that was very easy. Now that it will take a bit more work to aquire your 8000 a day per alt and with more dilithium sinks, I think people are just angry that they have to put a bit more effort in.
    I thot eSTFs give 960 atm? Or is that still broken?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Captain Ruri Gokou of the U.S.S. Kitty Hawk
    Catian Atrox Carrier
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's mostly your gut instinct :)

The people on these forums are passionate, and prone to knee-jerk reactions, whether positive or negative. Some of it is due to justified concerns, but a lot of the time, they post without thinking... and they always say a lot on the first few days of any major changes.

It's happened every season, and with any other major changes. So my advice is wait a few weeks, let things calm down a little, then see if people still say the same things.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    heineko wrote: »
    I thot eSTFs give 960 atm? Or is that still broken?

Right now its 0, still waiting on explanation on if its a bug or not
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
  • Options
    twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As far as I'm concerned, I'm just a little bit underwhelmed by the rewards when you finish a queue event. I know you get marks, and that you can use them for grinding towards unlocks, but it doesn't quite feel the same as a random surprise/something you can do with as you please. Adding some gear drops would fix that.

Additionally, the STF's were apparently a main source of dilithium for many people (me, too), who now have to reconsider. For my feds, this is less troublesome than for my kdf characters, as I enjoy SB24 more than most stf's, but that's not available to Klingons. KDF queues used to be sparsely populated, but we can't see whether there's a point to queueing now, though likely no change there. Not everything that grants dil appeals to everybody, and all.

The doff storm will die down when people find out other ways to get them.

I suspect the main thing is that people feel it's fine if it takes a little longer to achieve your goals, but that things now take a) a lot longer, and b) need to be reached through a (still) rather limited amount of content. Also, many of the newer elements are hardly achievable for small fleets and solo-ish players, forcing them to either ignore them, or join a large fleet.

(S6 and) S7 is (/are), in some regards, not particularly friendly to the casual player who isn't part of a large fleet. And now some of the favourite elements of vocal groups on the forums have been changed, and that is always scary. Though, I will concede, the flexibility of rewards does seem reduced, generally.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks a ton, guys, for managing to keep this civil so far.

I think I've arrived at a conclusion already, but please continue. I'd like to see more opinions and thoughts on this whole situation.
  • Options
    delsabereduxdelsaberedux Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Your instincts are spot-on, jexsamx. For matters like the Dilithium weirdness, we have no dev feedback to go by yet, so most folks will just assume the worst. It's the nature of MMO forums in general, not just STO. Take a look at the WoW forums sometime if you have enough liquor handy.

The devs are likely pretty busy right now dealing with the server issues and new bugs introduced by the patch, for all we know the exact same bugs everyone is going bald over. And that's exactly what they should be doing, too. Most of the time it's best to have your developers developing, and on days like this when a major update just went live, it's an all-hands-on-deck situation.

As for the servers and patching speeds... wow, people forgot about the Diablo III launch pretty quickly, didn't they? It really doesn't matter if you're a developer like Blizzard bankrolled by the largest publisher in the business or a smaller studio like Cryptic (much smaller than most people seem to realize) backed by PWE; if you have hundreds of thousands to millions of people all hammering a patch server at once, there are going to be load issues. You'd think this would be common sense in 2012 when everything is online to some extent and people have been through this with MMOs for years, but...

All in all: #firstworldproblems. We'll have word from someone about the STF thing and the servers will be back to normal within a day or two. Everyone could stand to settle down a little. Go walk your dogs or something.
    Relax.
  • Options
    gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    " Take a look at the WoW forums sometime if you have enough liquor handy."
    That made me laugh thanks for that hehehe.