test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Good-bye, Star Trek Online

hyoukihyouki Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Remember the good old days, turning on the TV to watch the latest Star Trek episode? Wasn't it great watching how, no matter what the challenge the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise faced, they needed dilithium for it, and how they spent every episode doing the same things over and over again to get that dilithium? Doesn't STO bring back those warm memories for you?

Yeah, me neither.

This is what STO has become though. Every avenue of advancement has been blocked off by dilithium requirements, and the channels for earning that dilithium with anything resembling efficiency has been reduced to repeating the same events over and over...and frequently, the time you spent getting dilithium was time spent NOT earning anything else that was needed, such as fleet marks. Crafting was an alternative route to getting better gear, until dilithium requirements were added. Maybe I'll rank up my starbase and get a fleet ship...ah, TRIBBLE, that takes a lot of dilithium...more if you have to buy the fleet ship modules and don't want to drop cash on it. Fine, I'll drop some cash and get one of those snazzy carriers from the Z-store, just upgrade the hangars and...oh, those cost dil too. Fine, I'll just work on upgrading my CREW, just hit the General Recruitment...oh, I don't have the dilithium for that either.

Heaven help you if you actually wanted to play some of the story content...sure, there's good stories there, but since there's ALWAYS more stuff I need to earn dilithium for, I can't really enjoy them because I know that I should be trying to earn that dilithium instead, and that my character will receive NOTHING that contributes to his or her growth, or the growth of the fleet. And yet, if I'm grinding that dilithium, I'm burning out because I'm on my 5000th rerun of Cure Space.

Sure, sometimes the devs backpedal a bit, such as removing the dilithium requirements for the Romulan reputation advancement, but the fact that they thought it was a good idea in the first place screams that they just don't understand the problem...or that they're ignoring it. Considering the link between dilithium and zen, and Perfect World's reputation, I think it's safe to say that the devs have a lot of pressure to ensure that dilithium is always in short supply.

To sum it up, the game now reeks of dilithium in all things, and I am heartily sick of that stench. I may pop back in after a few months, but I think it's safe to say that the STO for which I'd bought a lifetime membership is dead, gone, and never to return.

(Melodramatic? Yes, but what the hell...it's not like I'm going to stick around to read responses whinging about that. Maybe I'll go watch an episode of Star Trek and smile every time dilithium is not mentioned...which is practically all the time.)

Comments

• Options
    acoldtacoldt Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hey look, it's "Goodbye STO" #1763756, look how many have been right so far.
  • Options
    starcommando101starcommando101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Seriously... Can I have your stuff? My Char name is @starcommando101
    The Average PvP player
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1) Teamwork and timing is #1
    2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
    3) You are going to die, just get back up
  • Options
    piwright42piwright42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    acoldt wrote: »

He did not say STO is dying. He said he's taking a break.
    If you are a pickle in a pickle jar you know every pickle's different, sort of, but really they're all just pickles...
    They taste the same.
  • Options
    pwecanbitemepwecanbiteme Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    My thoughts exactly, OP.

Ignore the f***** catcalls.
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2012
    acoldt wrote: »

+1, it's the same cycle of doom and gloom... hahaha.

First, its our starbase not mine... I don't contribute DL to the starbase... others do. Life does not end if I don't contribute DL.
    Second... Crafting?!? Ewww...
  • Options
    ericsonxxericsonxx Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I cant argue either. Trust me, if you had more of a chance of getting decent gear drops in story missions, and, shocker, could GET dill in story missions, I'd be doing those more than say number God Only Knows STF yet again. I will say that STFs and the Deferi/Explore New Worlds/Foundry Clicky over a 3 month period did pay for my Atrox and Armitage. Now if I could just get a Dkora.....anyone wanna hook a guy up?
  • Options
    robinsonfamilyrobinsonfamily Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Bye, sorry to see you go!

EDIT: I'll make sure to pass along your feedback, but as "I quit" threads are not allowed, I unfortunately have to close this one done. Remember, now that the game is free-to-play, feel free to stop back anytime. We hope to see you again soon! ~BranFlakes
This discussion has been closed.