test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Romulus Area Map

wildleeroywildleeroy Member Posts: 23 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Tribble - Bug Reports
Map gets "fuzzy" at times, as if it's not displaying at the proper resolution when zoomed in, but if I drag the map around it clears up a bit.
Post edited by wildleeroy on

Comments

• tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2012
    Yup, working on a fix for this.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Yup, working on a fix for this.

Is there any chance more maps could be re-done in this style?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The area map is fantastic. If the fuzzy business could be cleared up it would be even better, but I really like the style, and it suits the large map very well. :)
    edited November 2012
    It was necessary on this map due to the different areas that have specific missions tied to them, so when we initially playtested, everyone was saying, "Where's the forest?" "Where's the Atlai?" etc. So we figured we needed to label those areas.

I think everyone agree the map treatment is a big plus. I would certainly like to do this elsewhere, but it is somewhat time consuming and a bit tricky to get working right (as you guys have noticed).

I doubt it's something we'll do to all other maps, but I would expect to see it done in places that it makes sense, or which seem to require it as this map did.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It was necessary on this map due to the different areas that have specific missions tied to them, so when we initially playtested, everyone was saying, "Where's the forest?" "Where's the Atlai?" etc. So we figured we needed to label those areas.

I think everyone agree the map treatment is a big plus. I would certainly like to do this elsewhere, but it is somewhat time consuming and a bit tricky to get working right (as you guys have noticed).

I doubt it's something we'll do to all other maps, but I would expect to see it done in places that it makes sense, or which seem to require it as this map did.

Defera and Nukara -might- need it. Not mandatory though. (unlike New Romulus, this I agree with you guys)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

i think it would make sense to have maps like that for *explored areas*
    the *satellite photo*-maps makes sense for unexplored planets, or planets without civilisations.

it makes sense that the Romulans would have already made some real maps for their new homeworld.

but on Earth / Starfleet Accademy we need at least google earth quality ;)

the first city on Qo'nos probably could use a map like that too.

add some federation / klingon vibes to the look and feel of the map so it feels like we are looking at a Federation or Klingon Tricorder / Software.

Bajor and Andoria probably would have proper maps too.
    Maybe the main Starbases.

but thats about it i think.

Thats something like 10 maps total, that should be doable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Any chance of an improvement to the resolution of the auto-generated maps? There was one in the Breen series on a jungle planet that looked gorgeous, but most end up looking pretty awful. It might sound a bit silly, but a fair few people I've tried to get into the game end up commenting on the map quality.

Actually, I think a lot of my issues with the maps would be gone if you guys get a fix for the "image only focused in centre of map, pixelated outside of centre" bug.

EDIT: Oh, and I think the New Romulus treatment should be applied to at least the following heavily used zones:
    Bajor
    Defera
    Nukara
    Starfleet Academy
    Klingon Academy
    First City
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
    edited November 2012
    zerobang wrote: »
    i think it would make sense to have maps like that for *explored areas*
    the *satellite photo*-maps makes sense for unexplored planets, or planets without civilisations.

Ya, that seems like a reasonable idea/way to differentiate which maps get the treatment. Still, need the time to do that.
  • creamyzombiecreamyzombie Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Ya, that seems like a reasonable idea/way to differentiate which maps get the treatment. Still, need the time to do that.

I hear rumors that you guys waste time sleeping :P
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I hear rumors that you guys waste time sleeping :P

I hear rumors that they DON'T!
  • wenom4wenom4 Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    fuzzy or no fuzzy good map for ground pvp open pvp 50+ players :D
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2012

One thing that would be cool is during red alerts have a hirogen and tal shiar secret base that spawns that you can wipe out and stuff at random during special times to get romulan marks there too...

Odds are you guys already thought about it and is a tier 4 or 5 reward type mission LOL
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited November 2012

One map that I think is complex/messy enough to need such labeling is Qo'nos First City. It is rather confusing to navigate even for people who have been playing KDF characters for months.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Defera and Nukara -might- need it. Not mandatory though. (unlike New Romulus, this I agree with you guys)

Great idea here.