test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Color-Coordinated BOff Powers?

icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
edited October 2012 in The Academy
Of late, I've seen a few screenshots/videos of STO, where the tray powers are color-coordinated by profession (Engineer yellow, Tactical red and science blue). I've asked each of the people that posted the photos/video how they did that, but none have responded. I think it looks nice, and I would like to know how to do it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    violadanvioladan Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hey Icegavel, I've seen what you're talking about before as well and I've also asked about how do it, but I've never received an answer either. I do hope someone answers you're thread with a helpful hint as I'd love to know how to do it myself! Live long and prosper!
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have seen this as well. At first I thought it was a tribble season seven change (which would be wonderful), but I have been tribble testing these last two weeks, and I haven't seen any color changes to the tray UI. If anyone knows how this is done I would very much appreciate a comment on it.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I have seen this as well. At first I thought it was a tribble season seven change (which would be wonderful), but I have been tribble testing these last two weeks, and I haven't seen any color changes to the tray UI. If anyone knows how this is done I would very much appreciate a comment on it.

I've only ever seen it in footage from Holodeck, actually. However its done, it's live. I fiddled with the UI a bit earlier, but I didn't see any options that would do it. Right-clicked every BOff Power, looked over every option in Basic, Video, Keybinds, and HUD. Worth noting that I've also seen it Klink side, if only once.
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    icegavel wrote: »
    I've only ever seen it in footage from Holodeck, actually. However its done, it's live. I fiddled with the UI a bit earlier, but I didn't see any options that would do it. Right-clicked every BOff Power, looked over every option in Basic, Video, Keybinds, and HUD. Worth noting that I've also seen it Klink side, if only once.

Perhaps this feature is similar to the custom keybinds. For that, there is a file you can manually edit with notepad. There may be a similar file for the tray UI.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Perhaps this feature is similar to the custom keybinds. For that, there is a file you can manually edit with notepad. There may be a similar file for the tray UI.

I thought of that, too. STOwiki has no knowledge of it, and if it IS in a file, I can't find it in any of my STO files.
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Its got to do with the custom keybinds. I dont know how to use it and all my binds are connected to my spacebar so there is no need for individual colours.

Hopefully one of the PvP vets might be able to help out :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Its got to do with the custom keybinds. I dont know how to use it and all my binds are connected to my spacebar so there is no need for individual colours.

Hopefully one of the PvP vets might be able to help out :D

ALL of your keybinds? Isn't that a little... blunt? See, my keybinds are a touch more fun. My number pad is my flight controls (all of them, even the "push to turn, push again to stop" controls, and distribute shields on NumPad 5), and then my keyboard is LITERALLY all of my tray powers You'd be surprised how fast you can rifle off powers with that setup, but I will look into your way, maybe adapt it a bit for my own purposes. It might be a touch faster. What was the command you used?
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Those who have this modification may be considered as acting in violation of the EULA, so its not surprising they don't feel like responding to you about their little 'customization'. That said, if Cryptic felt it was of any serious concern (obviously it isn't since only a few hundred people have done it, for example) then they have not shown it, as they have not removed the OBVIOUS means by which it is possible to replace some of the game art.

The safest course of action is to lobby for an improvement in the art of star trek online sub-forum. Perhaps ThomastheCrypticCat will find some time in his busy schedule to work in some colored icons, officially.
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2012
    At the risk of getting in trouble. There was a website that showed you how to do this and provided the modified art files, but it was technically a violation of the EULA and that website has since taken down the files and the instructions. They used to have bigger and more prominent mouse cursors that were useful too.

It would be really nice if the dev team put an option in the ui to colorize them.
  • Options
    maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    why would u even need to do this what possible benfit would it have apart from looking pretty.

you shouldnt need to change them to remeber what type of power it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have tweeted with thomas about this a while back and its doable just not on their list atm as it would take them a while to go through and redo all the icons.
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • Options
    turbommx1turbommx1 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Its nothing at all like that.

Open up the menu to rearange hud. The little menu that is listed as "bridge crew" select "show"

done.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    turbommx1 wrote: »
    Its nothing at all like that.

Open up the menu to rearange hud. The little menu that is listed as "bridge crew" select "show"

done.

That shows the tray where the BOff powers show up next to the faces. It doesn't change the colors any. >.>
  • Options
    bubblygumsworthbubblygumsworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ALL of your keybinds? Isn't that a little... blunt? See, my keybinds are a touch more fun. My number pad is my flight controls (all of them, even the "push to turn, push again to stop" controls, and distribute shields on NumPad 5), and then my keyboard is LITERALLY all of my tray powers You'd be surprised how fast you can rifle off powers with that setup, but I will look into your way, maybe adapt it a bit for my own purposes. It might be a touch faster. What was the command you used?

Pretty much all of my offensive buffs and tac teams are bound to my space bar, heals are bound to an "oh shiiiiii" button. Its all I need on my BoP :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I drink, I vote, and I PvP!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Pretty much all of my offensive buffs and tac teams are bound to my space bar, heals are bound to an "oh shiiiiii" button. Its all I need on my BoP :P

What was the command to bind all of those to spacebar?
  • Options
    shailatshailat Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    What was the command to bind all of those to spacebar?

Key binding for Dummies
    Keybind Questions

Here are two that explain how to keybind
    ogew7.jpg