test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tholian Distress Call

rmackiermackie Member Posts: 97 Arc User
I see this mentioned in the update notes for today, what is this tholian distress call, I haven't heard it mentioned before
Commanding Officer USS Intrepid

Commanding Officer USS Frontenac

Commanding Officer Enterprise NX-01
Post edited by rmackie on

Comments

• Options
    happymarvinhappymarvin Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It's been awhile since I've heard it, but they make this long, high pitched squeal, then a bunch of tholians show up.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It sounds kinda like when ya drag yer fingernails across the blackboard. :D
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    theultimatextheultimatex Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Unrelated to your question. But your forum pic looks like that blond woman in the Desperate Housewives TV show, but in a DS9 uniform. Is that her?
  • Options
    xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited October 2012
    It's probably a cut and paste from the Borg Sector Alerts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • Options
    rmackiermackie Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    xenor002 wrote: »
    It's probably a cut and paste from the Borg Sector Alerts

The actresses name is Kim Raver, I use her for a simulation i run http://ussantaeus.hostzi.com

Feel free to check us out

I will try a sector alert later today and see if it is borg or tholian
    Commanding Officer USS Intrepid

Commanding Officer USS Frontenac

Commanding Officer Enterprise NX-01
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2012
    This is a ground ability that some Tholians use. It is a channeled ability that will gradually summon in more and more Tholian troops until either the ability has timed out, or they are killed.

If you hear the distress call, find the source and kill it quickly. Unless you want to deal with more "friends" coming to join the fray.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    rmackie wrote: »
    The actresses name is Kim Raver, I use her for a simulation i run http://ussantaeus.hostzi.com

Feel free to check us out

I will try a sector alert later today and see if it is borg or tholian

Yeah she also plays the wife of that militia guy who used to be an insurance guy on that new nbc show revolution.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is a ground ability that some Tholians use. It is a channeled ability that will gradually summon in more and more Tholian troops until either the ability has timed out, or they are killed.

If you hear the distress call, find the source and kill it quickly. Unless you want to deal with more "friends" coming to join the fray.

Sounds nice. Makes me willing to play a tholian STF. That's the kind of ability mobs need to get more interesting. :D
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited October 2012

You know, I've heard this on Nukara, but didn't think much of it.

I mean, I know what it was supposed to be, but didn't think it had a game related effect :eek:

So, how do you find out which Tholian is emitting the signal?

Aside from killing all the Tholians in the vicinity... :P
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Sometimes that's a good thing. Not often though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I run with the sound off a lot. Unless there's some other indication as to where the distress call is coming from, I'll be out of luck.

This would be a good use for, oh, I don't know... a tricorder scan, maybe?

"I'm sorry Captain, our 23rd century tricorders aren't sensitive enough to figure out where that sound you're hearing is coming from."

Ok, I'm just pulling the chain here. I don't really expect that. But it would certainly be nice to have the ability to scan for and distinguish between multiple readings.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek