Install Arc

STO Gateway: Feedback and Discussion

Comments

• deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    needs
    tick box to stay logged in
    a 'Back to Character Select' button

works fine as far as it goes, much faster loads than i expected too :)
    Opera 12.02
    win7 x64

suggestion
    ability to share profiles on a global captains list might not be a bad thing to think about adding. tick box next to captain on main select page to 'make public'. people could see the capt, skills, ship+layout and boffs+powers.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Using IE8 to access Gateway.

Paperdoll:

It looks very clean and functional. So much, I would like to see this replace the paperdolls we have in-game. It has everything you need right there, without needing to scroll or change pages (like to the abilities page).

Only problem I see is that Item Rarity Color isn't showing for the Captain and BOFF Pages.

And wonder if it's possible to show abilities of items in the info window?

Also, think on the ship page, the abilities beyond the station should be greyed out.

Accolade Page:

I feel icons could be smaller, and the accolade number needs to be displayed.

But love it so much, be nice if this replaces the accolade page in-game.

Overall: A
  • sojournerxsojournerx Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I love it! I wish the official Star Trek iPad app was this slick and polished!

Only suggestion is that I feel like I expect to hear beep-beep-boop-beep as I click the way it is in the game.
  • icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It's a good start, a promise for a great thing. But right now, it's just so much potential. Until the DOff System is plugged in, it's only so much vanity.
  • deaks2k4deaks2k4 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'd like to see the ability to send a snapshot of ship and toon information to friends (IG friends list).

When i started, knowing what skills to use and what shields / weapons to best try was a little daunting.

All the information is on screen, just being able to let them see, maybe like a forum user profile, would really have been a benifit for new players when starting out...and even still today i'm sure.

Oh, and DOFFS, inventory, bank/s, exchange and maybe even Fleet hubs?
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    chalpen wrote: »
    I put my username and password, then I get to the screen where I have to put in the device code.
    I enter it but I can't reach the button to get to the next screen.

"Next", or scrolling doesn't allow me to get to the button bellow the "Name browser" section

Same issue with Blackberry OS 6.0 (yeah, I know...)
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • soleta63soleta63 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hey CORN FLAKES and Team it's your favorite Foundry Brat SOLO. I'm loving the new Gateway system. A good improvement for the Officer Station would be for the Bridge Stations to only show the Bridge officer Space Skills that can actually be used at the specific Bridge Station they are assigned. As for the Standard Away Team Ground Skills Graying out the ones not active and/or having quarters of the Skill icon active based on skill points in these skills would be cool as well. I don't know how difficult that would be for all the different station configurations ships have but it would be a PLUS not a MINUS.

Once again Thanks I know you guys are Miracle Workers Star trek is my 2nd Favorite MMO game of all times.

In the words of the IMMORTAL CORN FLAKES

CHEERS:P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dcblackmandcblackman Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    When will we be able to do our Doff Assigments with this gateway?
  • nx170487nx170487 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hello, i using the Gateway with my PC , Firefox , Windows 7

and mobile iPad 2 ios 6 , booth working perfect
  • onnirantonnirant Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Works well with Safari on iPad with iOS 6! :)
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    dcblackman wrote: »
    When will we be able to do our Doff Assigments with this gateway?

Give it time, as they say this needs to work first Doffs come later.

I'd welcome access to in game chat, list of online buddies and the like before Doffs. Likely to be implemented first I'd suspect.
  • caemoscaemos Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Tested with available browers, works fine for me in Firefox 16.0.1 on windows.

IE 10 for Win 8 fails to load anything but the background unless you view the website in compatibility mode, at which point the login screen appears. I have so far been unable to actually log in using the browser in either app or dekstop mode.

Android's stock browser and Firefox for Android as mentioned previously in the thread, login attempts are halted by account verification, and not being able to scroll down to actually push the button to proceed. The background is scrolling, with the input window staying static.
  • dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    In-game mail send/read would be great option.

As a Fleet Admiral I'd like have option to check fleet status and menage holdings projects.
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Any idea when the maintinance ends?
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The Gateway site itself looks good. A bit incomplete in some popups (Bridge Officer skills, for exmaple).

But the Account Guard implementation is is horribly flawed. The system I always use for STO is permitted in Account Guard. And yes I got an Account Guard block when I logged into the Gateway. And the IP address in the e-mail has NOTHING to do with my primate home network nor my public network network.

The IP address that showed up in my Account Guard e-mails is 172.20.1.35. How in Gre'thor is that even possible? I do use a private IP range for my private home network. But I only used 172.16.0.0/24. You really need to fix your remote IP determination code. It's not that hard. The web server gives it to you on a silver platter.

Wait: It just occurred to me that your are NAT's incoming connections to the STO Gateway server. That would explained the bogus IP address. I would some confirmation on that.
  • cwbytruckerscwbytruckers Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Im trying to use it on a Droid. All I get is no post? any ideas?
  • glover1glover1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So far utterly TRIBBLE, as allways Cryptic lending on players (CLIENTS) to be their Bug reporters / Quality control. The thing is that is never available, allways under mantainance, also now it puts a ad instead of the login inputs allmost 50% of the time. Yes TRIBBLE, maybe in a year or so it will become of any use.
  • mskurnikmskurnik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    First off, great job so far. It looks great but I do have a few questions and comments.

Will there be access to the datasource that has all of this information? I see that you are using JSON to provide a lot of the data however the data is a bit cryptic (no pun intended).

You also seem to be using sockets to transfer the data. While you can now use sockets in HTML 5, sockets really should not be used in modern applications. I strongly suggest exposing everything as a RESTful service.

I was the one that created the STO Profile Viewer for Windows Phone a year or so ago (no longer works due to xml data source being removed) and I would be happy to loan some expertise and comments/feedback that I recieved from building my application.

Please thank the team behind this.

I have tested this so far on the following hardware:
    • Windows 7 x64 Ultimate: Internet Explorer 9 & Firefox 15
    • Windows Phone 7: Internet Explorer 9
    • Windows 8 x64 Pro: Internet Explorer 10 (Metro), Internet Explorer 10 (Desktop)
    • Windows Server 2012 x64: Internet Explorer 10 (Metro), Internet Explorer 10 (Desktop)

In Internet Explorer 10 (Metro) and Internet Explorer 10 (Desktop) the site simply does not load. I can get it to load in IE 10 desktop if I turn on compatibility. It it likely something in the JS file that is causing this. I suggest getting the latest or experimental build of jquery and check in your client.js.

Also make the web icon available as a bigger icon. Using X-Icon Editor you can create a single ICO file that has a 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, and 64x64 icon in there. That way people can pin this to their start screen.

In terms of the UI and UX we need an option to go back to the character selection screen. Also move the modal popup that appears when you click a device to below the list of devices. Right now with it popping over the ship information you lose information. For desktop browsers you could enable a hover tool tip instead of the popup which would reduce clicking.

Feel free to PM me.
  • admspockadmspock Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I am running Windows Vista SP2 with Chrome and all I have gotten all day is "Gateway is currently undergoing maintance, please try later".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    i got onto it yet tells me i have no bridge officers ... and as for when you click on your ship shields or weapons if the text telling you about them was say to the right or far left of the page and not directly over your ship you could then read what is stated about that item also maybe info on our starbase or soon embassies now that be cool too .. otherwise its a good work in progress it be cool to see all ships and boffs our captains have also that is if possible..... if i had to rate it so far from 1 to 10 as of now its a 7.5
  • njdmb30njdmb30 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I've tried logging in on my computer (Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, no service packs) and on my B&N Nook Tablet. Both give me "Gateway is currently undergoing maintance, please try later" when I try to login. I've tried loggin in with gibberish once and it told me my login info was incorrect, so I know I'm putting in the correct login info the rest of the time. Not sure if this is a bug or if it really is down for maintenance all the time.
    I'm using Windows Vista, Service Pack 2 with Firefox browser 15.0.1 on my desktop computer. The Gateway has performed smoothly for me since I first set it up Friday evening. Although, tonight I did get a down for maintenance prompt through the Gateway itself around 10:20 pm pacific. This was only noticeable for less than 5 minutes.

Overall, I like the foundation for this concept. The Trek-style login and verification was relatively quick and fun. It merely lacked a few audio bells and whistles to pull me in. What are the chances that CBS has access to Majel Barrett's computer voice-overs from TNG or VOY? And would they offer any for purposes of the Gateway? Of course, with a one-click mute feature for those who need discretion while using our various devices.

From Ship Systems, Personnel Files or Accolades, we need an option to Return to Command.
    So that we can easily re-select choices within that command. Return to Main Screen should bring us back to the Please Identify Your Active Command. So that we may select again from the list of two or more Captains.

I think the various skill and equipment pop-ups need either 1) more information to fill up the empty boxes or 2) reduced boxes for less than three or four lines of text to keep the Gateway running as smooth as possible through multiple outlets.

A most obvious missing detail are the Captain's Log entries for each command. At a minimum, these should be read-only. The old STO website during 2010 permitted reading as well as writing new ones shared back into the game itself. Again, I'd be happy with read-only.

At some point in the Gateways iterations, I would like to see the option (a choice either way) to make our basic Commands and Captain Logs public for other STO Gateway user's to browse. The sharing between player's was a fun community building element sorely missed by this player.

(/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I wish it would work for me, I click http://gatewaytest.startrekonline.com/
    and it just times out for me
  • karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    After 5 tries it took me to a screen to enter code, still not received email. Ill try tomorrow then, must be down.
  • mktormktor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ive used the gateway on my tablet, which has a customized ROM runs JB 4.1.1 and the system runs pretty well so far, there's the reported slow and time issues, but i did notice on my account guard emails the ip was none that Ive used, Ive spent a lot of time tracking my dns s and both on my pc and tablets and cant find where this reported ip address is in my system. And its not.

Account Guard seems to be offline atm not giving out ips but i will be de-registering the tablets till i figure out where this ip is coming from if you need any info drop me a email please

Thanks

Jedi
  • goltzhargoltzhar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Very nice! Good work....but Officer station (bridge) is messed up (for me).
    1. Showing 3 and 4 comander stations and the wrong officers.
    2. Abilities just seem in random order, should be from left to right.

Edit: Using the other link from now on Bugs and Technical Issues
    edited October 2012
    glover1 wrote: »
    So far utterly TRIBBLE, as allways Cryptic lending on players (CLIENTS) to be their Bug reporters / Quality control. Yes TRIBBLE, maybe in a year or so it will become of any use.

Guess you didn't read the part where this is a BETA-TEST Version. Find a problem and report it, want something Improved report it. Don't like it at all Remove it.

Ultimately within a year will be fine, At least the Journey has begun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • goltzhargoltzhar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    soleta63 wrote: »
    At least the Journey has begun.

You are so right......
    edited October 2012
    goltzhar wrote: »
    Very nice! Good work....but Officer station (bridge) is messed up (for me).
    1. Showing 3 and 4 comander stations and the wrong officers.

Hey Goltzhar try Deleting your Current Tribble test server Character and update by resubmitting your latest Holodeck server Character of choice.

Love Solo DAXX:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • devil07devil07 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm using an iPad 1st gen and the gateway works great!

One surgestion though. Will you be adding a button to switch characters like on Tribble in season 7?
This discussion has been closed.