test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Grav Well Question

zanthe25zanthe25 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
A quick question about grav well...

I know Grav Well radius is increased by 'Graviton Generators' skill...

But does its pull strength also increase? ie making harder to throttle away?
Post edited by zanthe25 on

Comments

• rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Not sure. I maxed out my skill points on that one, then on top of that added 3 sci consoles boosting me about an extra +80 skill points total, and using Grav Well 3 (fired with high aux levels), it still barely slows down most borg probes or spheres... I have to eject warp plasma on top of it to get any real damage.

From what I've heard they totally nerfed sci skills, including grav well, before I ever rolled a sci character, so I don't know what it was like in the good old days, I just know NOW it's still pretty weak.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ... From what I've heard they totally nerfed sci skills, including grav well, before I ever rolled a sci character, so I don't know what it was like in the good old days, I just know NOW it's still pretty weak.
    If you really want to see what 'Gravity Well' can do, have 2 Science Players with 'Gravity Well 3' fire it at the same target at the same time... A place with lots of enemy ships flying around close together, (such as the Fed Mirror Event) is a good place to try this...
  • knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zanthe25 wrote: »
    A quick question about grav well...

I know Grav Well radius is increased by 'Graviton Generators' skill...

But does its pull strength also increase? ie making harder to throttle away?

Nope, just increases radious
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    Graviton Generator doesn't help Grav Wells, though. Particle Generators do.

Graviton Generators:

http://www.stowiki.org/Skill:_Starship_Graviton_Generators

Help tractor beams or repulsors, among other things.

Particle Generators:

http://www.stowiki.org/Skill:_Starship_Particle_Generator

help damage to grav well, warp plasma, aceton assimilators, isometric, tykens rift, theta vent, and feedback pulse as well as a couple others. I think the repulsors on that link is a mistake.

So, when I started my KDF sci what I did was max out the particle generator, but I knew what skills I would focus on from the start (TR, VM, GW, Iso, Magnetometric pulse, etc) and they all benefitted from particle. So I didn't spec any points into Graviton.

Should I not have done that? Or what?
  • ericsonxxericsonxx Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Then why the hell do you need 6 points in Graviton Generators to get GW3 if it does nothing for it?
    edited October 2012
    that's stupid as heck. I think they mixed them up, personally. So many bugs/oversights in this game. Which sucks because I spec out for GW3 my entire build, but can't train it when all is said and done!
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Graviton Generators:

http://www.stowiki.org/Skill:_Starship_Graviton_Generators

Help tractor beams or repulsors, among other things.
    Your link to the wiki says it helps Gravity Well. What do you base your assertion on?
    edited October 2012
    Reading past discussions, talking to people in-game, as well as thoroughly reviewing everything I could before starting my sci build. I put a lot of research into it because my first builds were "see what points I want as I go" and I knew to get the most out of the weak sci build I'd need to be very specific.

EDIT: Also look at it in-game. Particle Generators has a comprehensive list. Graviton just has 3. 2 of them tractor beams, and photonic shockwave. None of which were important to my builds.
  • maelwy5maelwy5 Member Posts: 593 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    stofsk wrote: »
    Your link to the wiki says it helps Gravity Well. What do you base your assertion on?

Player Testing --> Link

(Graviton increases GW's pull, but Particle increases its damage)
    [ <<<--- @Maelwys --->>> ]
    edited October 2012
    That list is.... FRICKIN AWESOME! You rock for posting the link!

Based on that amazing info, I'm confident I don't need Graviton points for my GW3 build. It does increaes radius from 3km to 3.75km, but IMO that's just the "suck you in" range and not anything to do with damage.

Coupled with a couple purple doffs I was often (well, "often enough") spitting out 2 or 3 gravs with either GW3 or TR1 whenever I fired, so they'd get sucked in to one or the other.

I just wish they would swap the trainable skill to be tied to PARTICLE generators instead of GRAVITON, because it has almost nothing to do with that skill. I really would love to train GW3 on any new boff I get, rather than having to ask around for some kind stranger to help.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2012

You're dead wrong. Gravity Well is affected by these 2 skills:

Starship Graviton Generators - Improves slow and hold ability.
    Starship Particle Generators - Improves damage output.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited October 2012
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    You're dead wrong.

And you're late to the party. See all the posts in this thread and you will comprehend that I came to learn that after reading the info in the link posted above.

EDIT: P.S. There's no note that the intensity of the hold is improved, just that the radius inside which you are sucked in is increased.
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Not sure. I maxed out my skill points on that one, then on top of that added 3 sci consoles boosting me about an extra +80 skill points total, and using Grav Well 3 (fired with high aux levels), it still barely slows down most borg probes or spheres... I have to eject warp plasma on top of it to get any real damage.

From what I've heard they totally nerfed sci skills, including grav well, before I ever rolled a sci character, so I don't know what it was like in the good old days, I just know NOW it's still pretty weak.

Then you're doing something wrong,i've never had a problem holding probes or sphere's with GW3 even on elite,and my build seems to be almost the same as yours...

Yes they nerfed Sci,but I still have fun playing ping pong with the Borg :D
  • peevil31peevil31 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

One quick and dirty way I make sure my Gravity Well 3 sticks is to wait till the probes are head on and at 4km away before using it. After I use it, I keep firing waiting for one (or both) to inch forward to break-away point then slam a Photonic Shockwave on them. While any movement debuff except Tractor Beam Repulsors will generally make a GW stick good, Photonic Shockwave also adds a ton of Kinetic damage (to unshielded ships).

A few other ideas could be:

1. Tractor Beam - It usually procs on your target near a Gravity Well and sucks them back in effectively.

2. Subsystem Targeting - Target their engines and watch them squirm!

3. Phasers - I don't use them any more but Phasers always seem to proc the engines most times. It doesn't have to be much to stop them rubberbanding out of your ishy Gravity Well.

Hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas.

-Jeremy
  • dwhornetdwhornet Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Actually I have noticed probes and spheres being able to escape gravity wells very consistently lately. In fact "lately" is with the start of season 6, I was unsure if this was just me, or my build with my MVAE. This has been confirmed with a fleet mate with his Atrox. I don't have my stats in front of me as I am at work. However I do recall I have over 100 (122?) graviton generators.
  • tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If one really wants to test this instead of arguing back and forth, it's a simple process.

Role your character or reset your points in Gravity and Particle Generators and pull any grav or particle consoles. Cast GW3 on the target and watch the ticks. Then add a console and repeat. Record the results and compare. Then pull the consoles and add 1 point at a time to each skill test, rinse and repeat.

You absolutely will see an increase in the amount of each damage tic as you increase particle generator. The will range from the low 200s to the mid 600s. You will not see tics for hold points iirc. A parser may show it. Not sure. Edit: It's a computer program so everything is a numerical value at some point.

I use GW to the X on my MVAE and every other ship I can for STFs. On my Vo Quv I use GW and EWP to the X. I never have a problem snaring probes and they stay held unless 1 is at the edge or mor than 3km from the target. I run 6 points in grav and particle. With no points in grav sometimes NPCs can break free. With points in grav they cannot and even Donatra does the gravity well waltz playing to my music.

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • wolfpack12cwolfpack12c Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Grav wells damage is increased by particle and its inertia drop and hold strength is effected by graviton.
    -"There is no such thing as an I win button!" "Um, Sir. Whats this button that says (I win) for then?"
  • shimmerlessshimmerless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    GW is a skill that gets exponentially stronger with DOffs (I'm not using that term for effect, it really is an exponential increase).

With the GW DOff you can completely zone out an area for the next full minute or so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    GW is a skill that gets exponentially stronger with DOffs (I'm not using that term for effect, it really is an exponential increase).

With the GW DOff you can completely zone out an area for the next full minute or so.

There are different doffs that affect GW, actually. Which one are you referring to? (the one which creates additional GW aftershocks?).
    3lsZz0w.jpg