test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

400 dollar laptop recomendations

fenrir136fenrir136 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Ten Forward
Hi, if this is in the wrong forum then sorry and feel free to move it.

A friend of mine is looking into getting STO as as the thread title says needs a laptop in the 400 dollar range. I'm looking for any suggestions as to what works for anyone currently or anything I should keep an eye out for, thanks.
Post edited by fenrir136 on

Comments

• hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, I'm not in the US, so I don't know what your prices are like over there, but over here, in the civilized world (EU, or my little part of it anyway) 400 dollars is roughly what a basic office computer costs. The kind of desktop that strains under the lowest quality settings of most games. Laptop specs in the same price range are generally significantly worse, so...

I wouldn't recommend buying any low priced laptops with the intent of gaming. Unless he has another use for it, your friend would probably find that instead of saving money, he's thrown 400 dollars away.

Plus, most 'laptops' in that pricerange as far as I know are Netbooks, which if laptops are the desktop's slow little brother, are the family vegetable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Your best bet is to save up and get something in the $800-$1000 dollar range. That's where the good hardware is.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Unless you have a friend that knows how to build a computer, and had spare parts laying around he'll part for cheaply, I don't think you'll find one that will do STO for $400.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Q: What are the system requirements?

A: The minimum system requirements are:

OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz or AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    Memory: Memory: 1GB RAM
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7950 / ATI Radeon X1800 / Intel HD Graphics
    Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
    DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
    HDD: 10GB Free Disk Space
    Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required

A: The recommended system specifications are:

OS: Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit)
    CPU: Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X2 5600+
    Memory: 2GB RAM+
    Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 3850+
    Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
    DirectX: Version 9.0c or Higher
    HDD: 10GB Free Disk Space
    Network: Internet Broadband Connection Required
  • varoolvarool Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    so hitting the minimum requirements or higher.

the computer i use has been upgraded recently and it should run 2x to 3x better then the previous setup, however it does not on this game, it does not perform any better at all and the same settings still have to apply, sometimes wondering around i still see blocky like outlines on distant objects and shadows, bad lighting and so on. i am not a computer expert i leave that to the owner.

my point is, this new upgrade costed around 500 pounds and did not improve anything, you may have to consider more carefully what you want in your laptop. a proper gaming laptop costs around 2,000 pounds a little over 4,100 dollars. so a 400 dollar laptop may not even run the game in the manner you are looking for, as the others have stated, save some more money and get a better laptop, i would also recommend this as well.
  • sardociansardocian Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    varool wrote: »
    my point is, this new upgrade costed around 500 pounds and did not improve anything, you may have to consider more carefully what you want in your laptop. a proper gaming laptop costs around 2,000 pounds a little over 4,100 dollars. so a 400 dollar laptop may not even run the game in the manner you are looking for, as the others have stated, save some more money and get a better laptop, i would also recommend this as well.

2000 pounds is about equal to $3.2k these days ;)

In any case, I bought a decent HP laptop (Pavilion dv6qe) that plays the game wonderfully for just over $800 (about 500 pounds). I bought it mainly for other reasons (runs Backtrack perfectly :D), but still works great for playing STO outside my home... STO really doesnt require a higher end gaming laptop, so if that's all you want to play, you're wasting your money if you spend over $1000 :)

My old laptop cost about $600, and barely played STO (I could play it, though it did crash quite often... integrated graphic card...). I really would not go any lower than $600...
  • supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have an HP Lenovo with Intel i7. I think that's $300.
  • jackdonnerjackdonner Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I just have to post this, because you can get a laptop that will play sto just fine for around $400.00.

I have a Dell XPS that i ordered with an Nvidia GT 525.
    It runs windows 7, and is a 64 bit
    I have 6 gigs of ram

At time of my purchase, it was $479.00

This runs Sto just fine, and i play on a wireless network.

So make sure you look around and price before you buy.
    I know spending money in this economy is hard.

Of course higher laptops, or gaming systems would be ideal.
    However if you cannot spend much more than $400.00 Like the topic of
    the post said, then this is an alternative for you.

Goodluck on your hunting..
    Cheers..
  • ariseaboveariseabove Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    fenrir136 wrote: »

A friend of mine is looking into getting STO as as the thread title says needs a laptop in the 400 dollar range. I'm looking for any suggestions as to what works for anyone currently or anything I should keep an eye out for, thanks.

I'm in Australia so I'm prob seeing different prices to you but heres a cheapy via Steam (Dell shop) that would play STO,

http://www.dell.com/us/p/laptops.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn#!facets=52176~0~817059&p=1
  • briittabriitta Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    fenrir136 wrote: »

Get a desktop. More value for money, and mobility is overrated.
  • harryquinnharryquinn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    briitta wrote: »
    Get a desktop. More value for money, and mobility is overrated.

I'll agree with Briitta on this one. Desktops are much better, much less expensive, and much more flexible when it's time to upgrade later on.

That being said, not everyone is in a position to have their computer in one place all the time. This is particularly true for students and, as this is still the time of year for students to flux into the game from friendly recommendations, I'm always mindful of their particular needs.

When I was shopping for a laptop, I went to Newegg and searched around. You can find refurbished laptops on sale for under $400. Look for systems with a graphics card that is NOT Intel HD or GMA. This game can run on those cards, but few others out there will.

Just glancing through the list currently available, I can see a decent system here for $394 and free shipping. Quad-core AMD A-Series, Radeon HD 6620G graphics, backlit 15.6" display, a roomy (if slow) hard drive, and a 10-keypad that is always a benefit.

And no, I am not an employee of Newegg or any associated companies. I just like their stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rblaher988rblaher988 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Im sure you can, i think my laptop was about 500 at walmart and it runs STO just fine. Just look around, and im sure you will find something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jake81499jake81499 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I needed a laptop that would run STO.

I went to Best Buy and with the help of the sales person I found a Pavilion dv7-7010US (HP). It runs STO better than my best desktop but the price was $800. (I bought it just for STO on the go)

SO....

Two days ago my old Dell Insperon bit the dust (Again) so I went to Best Buy and bought a Pavilion G7-1350DX (HP). It too runs STO perfectly to my suprise and the price was only 398 with tax.

While your at the store, go online (ask the sales associate first) with the laptop you are interested in and go to the canurunit.com website. That will tell you if the laptop or PC will run STO. Both of the laptops listed above exceeded the STO requirements.

Whatever you buy, try to get a quad core with a decent video card.
  • lazarxlazarx Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If your budget is constrained. Consider buying something that's been newly put on the used market.

I bought my present desktop from Craigslist (BUY LOCALLY!) the second computer I've obtained through these means and it's been a great success. For about 320 I purchased a setup that must have been well over a grand when it was first put together.

1 x Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    1 x XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5 PCIE Graphics Card HD577AZNFC
    1 x CPU E8400 3GHz
    1 x GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard
    1 x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    1 x PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    1 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    1 x Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card
    1 x LITE-ON 20X DVD?R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06
    1 x XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

For an extra 120 I wound up with a total of 3.2 terrabytes of storage. The only thing that was off on it ws the DVD drive but the seller had advised me of that in advance.

The unit works great on STO and it did not cost me a fortune.
    lazarx_2855.jpg
  • nelly1956nelly1956 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So, we put the desktop, keyboard, monitor and mouse in the backpack. Strap it all on the bike and head off into the sunset.

Ever heard the song Unknown Legend by Neil Young?

I'm the one on the bike. I prefer putting the laptop in the backpack. It leaves room for a change of cloths.
  • khayuungkhayuung Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Try a Samsung Chromebook! Those seem neat and fit your bill.

"Last Engage! Magical Girl Origami-san" is in print! Now with three times more rainbows.

Support the "Armored Unicorn" vehicle initiative today!

Thanks for Harajuku. Now let's get a real "Magical Girl" costume!
  • jamvarujamvaru Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    you can buy a cheap laptop that will run sto, or a used desktop, but really you don't want to be disappointed; i have done both, and it is not worth it... just suck it up and save your money

if desktop: buy used or parts and build one

if laptop: go shopping and find a model you think is worth owning, feel of the keyboard, etc. speaker sound makes a big difference, too, so play some music on all the different laptops (bring a cd)
    use the touchpad, make sure it can zoom with pinch, etc.

don't settle if buying laptop, but for desktop, doesn't really matter, used is fine, if it works; you then can customize or upgrade it as you like

figure out how to run sto on linux and give up on windows or appleOS