test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How hard would it be to fix the STOP animation?

lordoffilinglordoffiling Member Posts: 33 Arc User
Cryptic, if I could please bother you for a moment, I would like to put something on the table as a potential change to the game.

Right now, when you stop moving, your character spends a full 2 seconds in this "pose". This "stop pose". You know the one I mean.

It only makes sense if you were sprinting when you stopped. It doesn't make sense if you are moving at a normal pace. It just looks silly, especially if all you wanted was to move a little bit.

It also breaks other animations. Move up to an object in a mission that you need to interact with. You will find that the sounds start playing, you'll hear your character fiddling with the tricorder, or tapping on the keypad, or whatever, but you won't *see* it because your character is stuck in "stop pose".

Cryptic, I love you guys, I really do, I have lifetime subs to both your games, I don't want to hurt the feelings of your animators, but this "stop pose" thing looks terrible and screws with other animations. It requires attention.

Ideal solution: Make it so the "stop pose" only plays if you're coming out of a Sprint.
Next best thing: Shorten the pose to somewhere between 0.25 - 0.5 seconds.

Thank you in advance for your consideration of the matter.
Post edited by lordoffiling on

Comments

• baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i want to add, that when you run into some obstacle and you slow down to 0, the character remains in the run/walk animation.
    looks horrible.
    a stop animation would be right to be put in, if your charakter hits an obstacle and is forced to stop.

and why was the water/wet effect and the splash sound taken out again?
    Go pro or go home
  • janetza#4790 janetza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This stop animation annoys me as well. Good idea.

In-game handle @Janetza
  • zordar01zordar01 Member Posts: 318
    edited September 2012
    Wait, that wasn't how it was on the shows? :P

Signed. A fix for this would be most welcome.
    Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
  • cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
    edited September 2012
    Agreed. It is annoying and breaks immersion more than the forced warp-out animation.
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    -The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xanto90xanto90 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Agreed, nothing worse than the immersion killing going on in STO... I don't know who made the NPC's but was it really that hard to set a standard 25th century uniform and use the correct rank insignia for all NPC's? I mean really there are NPC's wearing TNG uniforms, and NPC's that are a certain rank (like Captain) with no insignia at all or the wrong/different colors. :rolleyes:

I think we need to start a list with all the things that are immersion killing in STO... :P
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Agreed. This is lame and in poor taste as animation goes. Kinda throws you out of the immersion when the laws of reason are thrown out the window.

Signed
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thank you all for your support.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm all for immersion, but at a point we just have to summon our inner child and just use our imagination. sometimes people take immersion in games to a crazy level, and it just becomes nitpicking.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Indeed, but what is nitpicking?

I think Nitpicking would be complaining about, say, an NPC stuck walking backwards in a remote location you'll never visit again.

This is your character. It is in the center of your screen at all times. It is the core and interface of your gameplay experience. I would think that, more than anything else, your character needs to look and act right in terms of its textures, animations, clipping issues and so-forth. NPCs can get a pass on these sorts of things, you'll usually only ever see them once and not for long, but your character will always occupy the exact center of your focus. His or her look and motion needs to be as close to perfect as you can get it.

So, no, I don't think I'm nitpicking on this one. :)
  • ufpdewolfeufpdewolfe Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Does the Use Full Detail Animations check box do anything?

Its Under Video and the Troubleshooting tab.

(which as other fun options that let me double my FPS ie increasing available video memory.)
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Indeed, but what is nitpicking?

I think Nitpicking would be complaining about, say, an NPC stuck walking backwards in a remote location you'll never visit again.

This is your character. It is in the center of your screen at all times. It is the core and interface of your gameplay experience. I would think that, more than anything else, your character needs to look and act right in terms of its textures, animations, clipping issues and so-forth. NPCs can get a pass on these sorts of things, you'll usually only ever see them once and not for long, but your character will always occupy the exact center of your focus. His or her look and motion needs to be as close to perfect as you can get it.

So, no, I don't think I'm nitpicking on this one. :)

IMHO, this is not a major game breaking immersion breaking issue, there are plenty out there already that are much worst...if they focus on the small stuff when does it end?no no, the line must be drawn here this far no further.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • stockwelldaystockwellday Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Polish? In STO?

HA!

I think the consistent lack of attention to detail shows how much the higher ups care about this game. There are a tonne of little things that add up which bring down the experience.

Odd running/stopping animations...
    Characters who can't sit properly in their chairs...
    Ships that turn awkwardly to warp out, then end up hitting a wall and cutting a 90 degree turn anyway...
    Uniform colours linking in the editor (IE Belt + Tunic main colour / Pips + Badge colour)...
    Same displays used 50 times across different stations on the same bridge...
    Interior designs that make no sense for the inside of a ship (i.e. a giant extra hallway before entering Captain's quarters)...
    Mobs in a ground missions spawning underneath buildings which are generated on a steep hill...

It's not any single quirk that's a problem. It's all of them together in a game that has been out for over 2 years.