test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Split beam or sniper for long range?

zanthe25zanthe25 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
I have a pulsewave for close combat and i trying to decide which fleet long range wepon to go for...

is they any differentce in range of split beams and sniper rifles?
Which is generally better overall?
Post edited by zanthe25 on

Comments

• baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ofcourse there is, 35 for primary attack on both weapons and 45 for the secondary on the sniper...the split beam reaches only up to 35 meters.

as i see it, a pulsewave is very nice for close combat <10m up to melee range. But i could only make good use of this in KAGE and starbase incursion...and i think the nukara set pulsewave is king for those since no NPC has cold resistance except the breen (not really sure about that either)

splitbeam is a very universaly usable weapon for all classes...and the sniper rifle...well it is a sniper rifle...great to open combat from a distance, and normally the enemy is dead before he reaches you. If you trigger a grp, quickly switch to split beam and finish off 3 of the grp before they reach you.

pulsewave is different. On my tactical i normally use operative kit to sneak up on a grp, position myself idealy to take out as many as possible with one "alpha strike".

so thats a completely different tactical approach to a similar situation, both work fine.

i usually try to use a sniper rifle with a pulsewave or a splitbeam, because the one is very single target focused and the other 2 are mainly for multiple targets.
    Also, i have yet to see a better short range exploit weapon than the compression pistol. the high crits and very high fire rate for the secondary ability make it my weapon of choice in this game.
    Go pro or go home
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    On my Fed, I use the Split Beam for my main gun. It is very nice to open attack and to do group shots after it charges up again. Then I can keep shooting the single shot until then. I have another gun I use on single targets. I love the split for group attacks.

I tried the Pulse Wave, and didn't like it that well. So I never used it again after that one time I tried it.

Sniper, I used it some. However it does has its limits, so I went with a better rifle. That works for me.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • sardociansardocian Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I use the MACO Rifle (Sniper) MKXII and Pulsewave on my sci officer on pretty much every ground mission I do... never has failed me yet.
  • knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Where is the love for the minigun? :confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    knocky wrote: »

no where, since they actually suck...and here is why.

first fire mode is ok, only downside is, that in general (even after the fix) borg adapt faster to it.
    second fire mode has a too long duration in my opinion. Happened countless times, that the target was killed with the first 2 shots, but the gun kept going into nowhere...and it has a too long cooldown on the second fire mode.
    or the borg adapt after the first few shots...rest of the shots do no dmg.
    Same reason why the omega weapon is actually bad against borg.
    It is a fine weapons for large grps that stand perfectly still for the duration of the shot...that just never happens. Rather have an assault blast that atleast nocks them down for 2 seconds. (2 seconds they won't fire back)

if somebody likes the looks of miniguns, they should keep them, but from a stricktly performance point of view they are a bad choice.
    Go pro or go home
  • razellisrazellis Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Don't forget the long firing animations on the secondary attacks. It's even worse for the minigun that has a long animation on every attack. You can die waiting on those animations to finish while needing to hit a heal or three.

I love the look and feel of the minigun but quit using it because of all the unnecessary deaths and excessive borg adaptations I endured.
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The sniper rifle is potent for that one amazing flanking shot from a buffed up tac, otherwise.. meh, the extra range just serves to annoy your team mates in Infected as you continually push enemies out of range with secondary fire knockback, making your team lose the optional. Its low primary DPS is kinda painful.

The split beam's range is nice, its secondary attack is pretty decent. You can exploit a good number of enemies if used right.

The mini-gun is garbage. The delay during firing makes you miss anything other than slow moving borg, and then the borg adapt before it does any damage. Its average DPS is also pretty low, so a high miss rate with lower DPS means you are getting down to assault blast weapon damage.

The omega gun, or full auto rifle, does very high dps. It does get adapted to fast, but the internal remodulation makes up for that. Good range, fast and accurate with the immobilize on standard firing you can certainly make up for its issues. That said its always an off weapon against borg, in fleet actions it rocks. That beast in colony invasion is helpless with 2 people with omega fire on it.

The pulsewave rocks, but if you are using them at 10m then you might as well be throwing rocks at enemies. You NEED to be in their face. The knock back secondary fire is great even if you are far out to just help control enemy fire. On Nukara its still largely useless because of the area effect firing, while other weapons lock on, the pulsewave's primary fire will just miss.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Some math was done on it a while back, and the sniper rifle was the winner. This was before the shotgun and minigun, though.
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    knocky wrote: »

They are good for your BOs

@baudl I may have to take some of your advice for the ground don't use pulswave that much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers