test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Standard Starfleet Uniforms

borg9870borg9870 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Star Trek online takes place in the year 2409 and ST:VOY Endgame takes place in 2404 so don't you think we should use the Endgame/All good things uniforms as standard as it would be more appropriete to the time STO is set in?

http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/3/3b/Harry_Kim%2C_2404.jpg - endgame/all good things uniform
Post edited by borg9870 on

Comments

• Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    borg9870 wrote: »
    Star Trek online takes place in the year 2409 and ST:VOY Endgame takes place in 2404 so don't you think we should use the Endgame/All good things uniforms as standard as it would be more appropriete to the time STO is set in?

http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/3/3b/Harry_Kim%2C_2404.jpg - endgame/all good things uniform

ive always said this to me fleet in any future episodes from TNG and up you seen in star trek what uniforms are they in? yes that right All Good Things
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    On the other hand, as far as I can tell, that uniform only seems to show up in potential future timelines that always seem to get wiped out. Every time I see that uniform, I find myself thinking, "Aha. Parallel Universe time."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think I would stop playing the game if my Fed characters were forced to wear the All Good Things uniform.
  • Options
    hrisvalarhrisvalar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

This guy again... Yeah, I'd call the whole thing off if I were forced into that.

The problem about it is that they were originally just designed for this one time-travel episode, and not given quite the same care and consideration that the shows' regular uniforms got. Then it got reused a couple of times, and it's been hell ever since...

My middle ground is this: Cryptic needs to take another crack at this open uniform thing of theirs, only then create a variant with the uniform jacket unzipped all the way - as it should've been all along - and have the shirt underneath be the All Good Things one. As much as I loathe the uniform, it's sorta how I figure this thing'd evolve.

But anyway, they can't force us to wear a uniform that we have to buy off the Z-store. Nor could they go and put NPCs in it, cause then they'd be pressuring people into buying it to fit in. And if they do give it out for free, there'll be hell to pay from those who already bought it. So that's a ship that's sailed...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Reave
  • Options
    skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited September 2012

No, they are really ugly.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

i wouldnt say cryptics look much better
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    mirai222 wrote: »
    I think I would stop playing the game if my Fed characters were forced to wear the All Good Things uniform.

i dont think he is talking about player but the NPC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    mirai222 wrote: »

The suggestion doesn't prevent YOU from wearing whatever uniforms you want. The suggestion is that the DEFAULT uniform style (on all NPCs) should be the AGT/Endgame style uniform. And not the Cryptic "maintenance jumpsuit style".

And I agree. Being that it's pretty much the same time period as Endgame, it should definitely have been the default style. Bad enough really, to have every uniform from every time period in the game, but worse to have the NPCs running around in uniforms which -isn't- canon for the time period.

That's a matter of personal opinion. Personally, I think they look alot better than the TNG "early season" uniforms, and a HUMONGOUS improvement over the Male Skant version.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The short answer is 'no' because I really hate that uniform design. I prefer cryptic's variants over it any day of the week.

The longer answer is that those episodes took place in timelines that became invalidated due to the acts of the various characters (Picard was time hopping thanks to Q, Adm. Janeway went back in time purposefully to change the timeline, Jake Sisko killed himself to prevent his dad from becoming permanently stuck in subspace or whatever was happening to him in that episode). So it's not anymore valid than choosing some other uniform.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    stofsk wrote: »
    The short answer is 'no' because I really hate that uniform design. I prefer cryptic's variants over it any day of the week.

The longer answer is that those episodes took place in timelines that became invalidated due to the acts of the various characters (Picard was time hopping thanks to Q, Adm. Janeway went back in time purposefully to change the timeline, Jake Sisko killed himself to prevent his dad from becoming permanently stuck in subspace or whatever was happening to him in that episode). So it's not anymore valid than choosing some other uniform.

but the key thing to keep in mind is its useed in future timeline's more then ones so logic say that the one feds will end up with
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I would be happy if their NPCs could finally single out a uniform to be standard and have it be one that at least looks like it could be fro ma show or movie of the time period.
    Maybe take the AGT uni and improve on it.
    Some players (myself included) already improve them with a different and more traditional color pattern.
    Buff them up a bit to make them more in line with the TNG movie uniform and you would really have something.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I prefer them personally, however I'd like an option for both factions were one can choose a particular uniform and that is what they see on all NPC's. On Starbases, Fleet Starbases and even onboard Ships.

It makes sense as everyone has their version of what is nice and what is horrid. Might also encourage people to buy c-store costumes if once unlock them you can use it on NPCs. Having it character rather than an account feature would be cool as well so different characters could use different uniforms for NPC.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    daan2006 wrote: »
    but the key thing to keep in mind is its useed in future timeline's more then ones so logic say that the one feds will end up with

Yes I know it is used several times but that doesn't alter the fact that those timelines were discontinued due to the plots of the episodes they took place in.

Hell in 'The Visitor' we see Captain Nog (edited here for correction) command the old USS Defiant which was brought out of mothballs. Jadzia was at the helm. Both shouldn't be possible because the original Defiant was destroyed and Jadzia was killed off.

In the timeline of 'All Good Things...' Deanna Troi mysteriously died, which caused a rift to develop between Riker and Worf. Last we saw in Nemesis Riker and Troi were happily married and presumably went off to have further adventures on the USS Titan. She didn't die, there was no feud between Worf.

In 'Endgame' Admiral Janeway went back in time to outright change the timeline. These future timelines are all invalidated by the end of the episodes in question. It seems funny that everything else that happens in these episodes would be so different but the uniforms would stay the same. But really my point is only that these uniforms appear in futures that turn out to be unrealised possibilities anyway.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    stofsk wrote: »
    Yes I know it is used several times but that doesn't alter the fact that those timelines were discontinued due to the plots of the episodes they took place in.

Hell in 'The Visitor' we see Captain Nog (edited here for correction) command the old USS Defiant which was brought out of mothballs. Jadzia was at the helm. Both shouldn't be possible because the original Defiant was destroyed and Jadzia was killed off.

In the timeline of 'All Good Things...' Deanna Troi mysteriously died, which caused a rift to develop between Riker and Worf. Last we saw in Nemesis Riker and Troi were happily married and presumably went off to have further adventures on the USS Titan. She didn't die, there was no feud between Worf.

In 'Endgame' Admiral Janeway went back in time to outright change the timeline. These future timelines are all invalidated by the end of the episodes in question. It seems funny that everything else that happens in these episodes would be so different but the uniforms would stay the same. But really my point is only that these uniforms appear in futures that turn out to be unrealised possibilities anyway.

ok its was Captain Nog and Jadzia being in it well it was dun before she was killed off and the Defiant was destroyed and replaced with the same ship type not the name but was later change back to Defiant

also you talk about all good things but did you forget its was all in picards head dun by Q to see if humans had it in them to expand there minds and who would know better then Q to know what the Feds would have been whereing just a thought

yes janeway change the timeline in endgames but that was a time line that did happen before it was changes

and you can say all you want them time line are gone and i will come back it keeps poping up in the future
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    dbosco2dbosco2 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I agree that AGT uniform is poorly designed, and I agree that all timelines it is presented in are invalid. But the thing that has bothered me for a while is this: why should voyager returning early alter some committee's choice of a new uniform style? None of the Voyager crew would have any say over the uniform change, so why wouldn't the transition happen since that timeline was just a progression of reality undone by impatience and a "temporal prime directive be damned" attitude. (DTI asleep at the wheel on that one...)

I'd love to hear a good explanation as to why I'm supposed to believe these time travel/alternate future scenarios are so effected by the "star" crew. Example: I mean, sure, the Kelvin being destroyed altered things and cause Starfleet to prepare greater defenses...but why would that change the shape and size of the Enterprise so radically? If anything, shouldn't it just make the development of the Constitution class happen earlier? And why would it change the uniforms? Voyager returning, why would the uniforms change? AGT was undone be Picard having knowledge of the future and telling his crew about it. Thus Deanna doesn't die, Riker realizes life is precious and pursues her and Worf fades to the background. (I got nothing on the subject of Warp 13 though...) But WHY would the uniform change? What about those events being undone would negate the vote of an unseen board of quartermasters that are unrelated?

I agree with the spirit of this thread though. There needs to be a quality standard uniform for all NPCs.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    dbosco2 wrote: »
    I agree that AGT uniform is poorly designed, and I agree that all timelines it is presented in are invalid. But the thing that has bothered me for a while is this: why should voyager returning early alter some committee's choice of a new uniform style?

*snip*
    I don't know. Why would these different timelines have the same exact costume? We know why (out of universe): it's because they already had that prop available and it would cost money to design another costume. But inside the context of the show? All of those timelines were unrealised realities anyway, so why NOT say that the uniform is unrealised as well?

EDIT Hell in 'The Visitor', another line was how the Dominion War never even happened. We don't bat an eyelash at this and the other inconsistencies in this episode with what ended up happening even later in the show, but the costumes are somehow always destined to come about? It can't be both.

In the end they did end up with a new uniform change by First Contact, and that could easily be where the timeline diverged. In AGT and The Visitor, the Dominion weren't a threat and the borg weren't mentioned either, and things seemed to descend into a new cold war with the klingons. Maybe the quartermaster at the time was a different person from the one who designed the FC uniforms. But this is all sort of anciliary to my point; that it's not really any more valid to base the STO era uniforms on the AGT ones because that was a timeline that was outright discontinued in every instance it appeared. I could just as easily say that the FC uniforms became the one settled on by the 'prime' timeline because that's the last uniform we ever see anyone wear by Nemesis.
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    STO's canon is dictated by Cryptic, which subverted those future variants for their own designs and a story about openning up the uniform restrictions. That's where the canon argument ends.

Now, ideally i wonder if they could allow uniforms to be a client-side option. This way you could set up a series of uniforms based on certain variables (perhaps something letting you be as basic or indepth as you want) which would change all the npc's and other players wearing uniform slotted costumes, this would be viewable by you alone. The player next to you, with their own client-side uniform options, would see you, other players and npc's wearing the uniforms in their options.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    cormoran wrote: »
    STO's canon is dictated by Cryptic, which subverted those future variants for their own designs and a story about openning up the uniform restrictions. That's where the canon argument ends.

Which is a poor explanation for "everyone would want to buy a specific uniform he has seen on TV" :D

I have come to think that in STO there is absolutely no canon whatsoever, no story and no progress. It's just a digital playground for us players to play with all sorts of Star Trek themed "toys".

Although I'd welcome a uniform amongst NPCs, even the STO default ones if only they would be consistent :D I like the thought of the default sierra costume tiles come with the late TNG uniform color pattern. This way, it'd sinmply be an update on the materials used as the STO costumes kinda look like a mixture of classic uniforms and the "combat armour" prototype used in the dS9 ground combat episodes ths simply offering better protection.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Now, ideally i wonder if they could allow uniforms to be a client-side option. This way you could set up a series of uniforms based on certain variables (perhaps something letting you be as basic or indepth as you want) which would change all the npc's and other players wearing uniform slotted costumes, this would be viewable by you alone. The player next to you, with their own client-side uniform options, would see you, other players and npc's wearing the uniforms in their options.
    That would be the perfect sollution in my opinion.
    Not only we wouldn't have to see those hideous combat armors anymore if we don't want them, but the word "uniform" would have it's meaning back.

To the thread starter:
    I would love to use the AGT uniform on all my characters and their BOFFs but i just hate that ugly cumberbund (i hope thats the right expression).

Don't missunderstand me, i like the general style of that uniform, simple and elegant, much more than Cryptics plastic uniforms.

On female tons it can look quite OK, but on males it looks stupid and rediculus, because that stupid cumberbund it is much to high/big.
    IF we had a alternative version without a cumberbund or with a significant smaller one i would happily use it.

EDIT:
    I just made a mock up, to show how the AGT uniform would look like without cumberbund.
    I don't know what you think, but i think it looks way better without it.
    With Cumberbund
    Without Cumberbund
    Since the servers are down right now i only had this picture to work with, i hope it is ok that way.

Live long and prosper.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I have come to think that in STO there is absolutely no canon whatsoever, no story and no progress. It's just a digital playground for us players to play with all sorts of Star Trek themed "toys".

This reminds me of a post I once read on these forums that STO felt more like going to a Star Trek convention than being in the Star Trek world. I have to agree with that sentiment.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    This reminds me of a post I once read on these forums that STO felt more like going to a Star Trek convention than being in the Star Trek world. I have to agree with that sentiment.

That's just the perfect way of describing it :D And that's what get's me so angry about it as well *sigh* :rolleyes:
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Yes it takes away a lot of "seriousness" and immersion, which is very sad when you think about the potential this game has.
    Just as every "funny" ship name or character name. Thats why i thought that an Star Trek MMO just doesn't work, since i first heard of STO in 2009 or '08.
    I seriously hope that STO will never become canon. Just go to ESD and STO feels like a Star Trek theme park.
    On the other hand, when i look at most of cryptics designs i always think that some of their designer may have thought that STO is set in some kind of mirror universe.
    I just hate those plastic uniforms and even more those combat armors/kits.
    (not to mention almost all of cryptics ship designs, but thats another topic.)

In my opinion the designers of STO did a completely wrong approach when designing things for this game. Instead of just making what they think of what is "cool", they should have tried to continue the TV series and Movies desings/stories more serious.

The "danger" i see in a Star Trek MMO is that many things this game introduces or misinterprets are going to be adopted by many players and official canon.
    (a Galaxy Class without any significant firepower for example, or this rediculus stone/paper/scissor ship balance system.)

Live long and prosper.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm with you right there, STO actually feels more like "mirror universe online" with all those fancy weapons and warships, battlecarriers and so on whereas the bulk of the iconic ships are toned down and are really not up to what they should.

Like I posted in a different thread, STO should have taken the risk and set the game in the 25th century, period. Nothing from the other periods except ships and equipment which makes sense to still show up and then tell a unique story, continue Star trek instead of just bing that huge "fanwankery" it is. Then it wouldn't all be about what costume to sell next :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    reyan01 wrote: »
    And don't even get me started on players running around with armor active, looking like something from Tron...

One thing I am glad the KDF missed out on, armour visuals. :D
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    To me, the best standard uniform for NPCs would be Sierra 1. :p
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I never got why they had to add armor/Kit visuals at all....
    Holographic or energy fields on weapons (phaser wheapons) and Kits... and why do Compression phaser pistols have to look completely different to stun and wide beam pistols (the cobra phasers)?

Sometimes i have to think they never actually have seen a Star Trek episode.

It's small things like that, that make me really angry about cryptic designers, they seem just not to care about Trek. They should have made their own Sci Fi universe instead, if they hate Star Trek so much.

Live long and prosper.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    yreodred wrote: »
    I never got why they had to add armor/Kit visuals at all....

Because not everybody has fun the same way. Cryptic gave you the ability to turn off your kit visuals, choose only canon-appearing weapons, and wear canon-appearing uniforms; you can also choose to wear the same uniform as the random NPCs in your ship, for a "uniform" (no pun intended) appearance.

Don't begrudge other people THEIR fun.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    Because not everybody has fun the same way. Cryptic gave you the ability to turn off your kit visuals, choose only canon-appearing weapons, and wear canon-appearing uniforms; you can also choose to wear the same uniform as the random NPCs in your ship, for a "uniform" (no pun intended) appearance.

First:
    My question was, how did the devs come up with the idea to create combat armor and those kits in the first place. I have never ever seen in any episode or movie anything like it and they do surely not look like they belong to previous design lines or fit to other Starfleet equipment. (especially some high tier Kits don't look like starfleet equipment at all.)

Second:
    If the devs seem to absolutely need to implement something like this, why can't we deactivate them at all, client wise?
    (not just ours, but all of them)

Third:
    Asking a question doesn't imply that i begrudge anyone about anything, i was just curious, if that is still allowed.
    I surely do not want to begrudge other peoples "fun". :confused:
    About "fun", what about my "fun"? Why do i have to see those hideous combat armors and kits which do apparently have nothing to do with star trek design at all?
    I do not want to argue with anyone about that, i just want to say that the designers did care very little (or not at all) about previous trek design.

Live long and prosper.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    syberghost wrote: »

That's kind a harsh, sounds like you begrudge yreodred for what he thinks is fun. I happen to agree with him. I never saw Kirk run around with 'Energy Warrior' look or Picard in his motorcycle jacket uniform. To each their own though, the developer should have stuck with a strictly canon look or have given us the ability to do so client side.