test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Burning players on Energy Credit Transfers

willdekaywilldekay Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I think it's EXTREMELY inappropriate to burn players on energy credit transfers between gold and silver accounts.

I was trying to hook up my daughter's toon with some energy credits and attempted to give her 15,000,000 to pretty much cover her career. According to the matrix, silver accounts have a cap of 10,000,000. That's fine, but where did my 5 million go?

I've never seen a interface that just dumps excess funds like they are nothing. I realize they set these standards for a reason, but can't the devs simply add a program where any excesses are returned to the person transferring or just make the transfer invalid due to excessive funds? Allowing the money to just disappear is a real low blow that I think lacks courtesy to the time and effort players put forth to earn those funds.

My wife's a programmer and could set up this command string in her sleep. So what gives? This can't be about thwarting gold sellers, this is just lazy programming and penalizing players who don't reallize how absurd the game treats players.

Okay off soap box.; venting session over. Sorry for my rant; just so frustrated. :mad:
Post edited by willdekay on

Comments

• adon333adon333 Member Posts: 304
    edited September 2012
    willdekay wrote: »
    I think it's EXTREMELY inappropriate to burn players on energy credit transfers between gold and silver accounts.

I was trying to hook up my daughter's toon with some energy credits and attempted to give her 15,000,000 to pretty much cover her career. According to the matrix, silver accounts have a cap of 10,000,000. That's fine, but where did my 5 million go?

I've never seen a interface that just dumps excess funds like they are nothing. I realize they set these standards for a reason, but can't the devs simply add a program where any excesses are returned to the person transferring or just make the transfer invalid due to excessive funds? Allowing the money to just disappear is a real low blow that I think lacks courtesy to the time and effort players put forth to earn those funds.

My wife's a programmer and could set up this command string in her sleep. So what gives? This can't be about thwarting gold sellers, this is just lazy programming and penalizing players who don't reallize how absurd the game treats players.

Okay off soap box.; venting session over. Sorry for my rant; just so frustrated. :mad:

One word....Cryptic is very lazy. :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • maddog0000doommaddog0000doom Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    couldnt agree more why they cant just put a message saying this player cant recive that amount or just not transfer the extra in to a black hole
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    adon333 wrote: »
    The team started small, and had to do many things at once. That practically demands cutting corners, or making lazy decisions to save time/effort/money.

The team's expanded, sure, but regardless of the exact numbers, it's still not that easy to get rid of an attitude like that overnight.

My 2 cents
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
    edited September 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    The team started small, and had to do many things at once. That practically demands cutting corners, or making lazy decisions to save time/effort/money.

The team's expanded, sure, but regardless of the exact numbers, it's still not that easy to get rid of an attitude like that overnight.

My 2 cents

Potato-Pototo....:P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
    edited September 2012
    Potato-Pototo....:P
    It's attitudes like that that won't help the game ;)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • suprcheezesuprcheeze Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    One word....Cryptic is very lazy.

That's 4 words. :rolleyes:
    edited September 2012
    suprcheeze wrote: »
    That's 4 words. :rolleyes:

Lol.... that took awhile.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
    edited September 2012
    It's attitudes like that that won't help the game ;)

The attitude of sticking your head in the sand to any and all things done wrong by Cryptic won't help the game either...just sayin.;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
    edited September 2012
    The attitude of sticking your head in the sand to any and all things done wrong by Cryptic won't help the game either...just sayin.;)
    Hah, hardly :D

It's more like the fact that most of the things people think are 'wrong', are more grey area to me. I get far more enjoyment that way, even though I know the difference.

It's how I roll.
    Was named Trek17.

edited September 2012
    Hah, hardly :D

It's more like the fact that most of the things people think are 'wrong', are more grey area to me. I get far more enjoyment that way, even though I know the difference.

It's how I roll.

Well if thats how you roll, then thats just how you roll. I understand and accept that....I hereby agree to disagree, >shakes hands and smiles<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
    edited September 2012
    Well if thats how you roll, then thats just how you roll. I understand and accept that....I hereby agree to disagree, >shakes hands and smiles<
    Here here *shakes hands back* :)
    Was named Trek17.

• kazapskykazapsky Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Waitwaitwait ... did I just see an internet argument end without any hard feelings at all? :eek:

These are the end times.
    Arc is garbage. End of discussion.
    edited September 2012
    kazapsky wrote: »
    Waitwaitwait ... did I just see an internet argument end without any hard feelings at all? :eek:

These are the end times.
    Yes it's the most rare thing you can see on the internet, but it does happen lol :D
    Was named Trek17.

edited September 2012
    It does happen.... not as often as it should but, if too ppl have too strong an opinion on something..why should they bother trying to argue the other into there opinion? Why not just agree they think differently and get along? <sings Koombayah>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, that's right.
  • fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm in full support of the OP, he should have his money returned. When I came back for early release of F2P I was already over the 10 million cap and didn't realize a cap existed yet. I ran an entire Tour the Universe before I noticed I wasn't getting paid.

There have been lots of folks burned on the exchange from the cap also, getting nothing from selling items worth tens of millions. This was all preventable on cryptic's end if they thought about the customer first.

Before they released the option to upgrade your bank cap, I spent all my funds in excess of ten million credits because I couldn't see a point to playing if I couldn't accrue funds. I purpled up my lower tier ships even. After I was broke again, then they offered the increase for a fee, wonderful.
  • overthetopsighoverthetopsigh Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yeah sorry to hear this happened to you, as a lot of people have been burned by the same issue. It would be nice to have something that stops a transaction if you're going over 10 million, instead that EC goes to oblivion.

On another note, if you haven't gotten the EC cap increase I highly recommend you do. 1 billion EC per toon, you won't have to worry about this problem for a long time.
  • dariusmajeredariusmajere Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So... You knew she was a silver account... You were giving her 15 mil knowing she can only hold 10.. That alone is a unintelligent decision. BUT I do agree that there should be a notification on Freemium accounts letting them know of these issues, the same issues exist with the Fleet bank from what I have heard. But as Topper said above, Get her the EC increase its dirt cheap. On another note, as a LIFETIME member I would of Expected you to be aware of these issues since they have been on the forums MANY times already. I would think a fellow career officer would pay attention to a game they sunk a HUGE chunk of money into. I have seen this issues happening since F2P Launched when I jumped into the game.

On another note, I don't look at it as burning players or laziness, more like giving them a reason to pay attention and learn the game. A Sharp painful lesson to those trying to Exploit the EC cap without paying there dues to hold more on the account (NOT SAYING YOUR DAUGHTER OR YOU, but others who might try)

Pug issues as a Lifer * shakes his head and facepalms*
    Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
    Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
    Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
    [SIGPIC]http://massivechaos.enjin.com/[/SIGPIC]
  • ariseaboveariseabove Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I don't mean to be rude but if you had checked first it wouldn't have happened, it does clearly state on silver accounts the cap is 10mill but in saying that I do agree with,
    I realize they set these standards for a reason, but can't the devs simply add a program where any excesses are returned to the person transferring or just make the transfer invalid due to excessive funds?

I wouldn't like to risk it but you could try just unlocking the EC cap increase for your daughter and seeing if the other 5mill re appears but I wouldn't hold my hopes up for it.

It's not like its hard to get EC anyway, just be thankful its not like some other mmo's where they punish you for sharing things or we would all be stuffed lol.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I feel your pain. I lost 23 million last week when I discovered my Gold Subscription was auto-downgraded to silver. Still wondering how that happened, and why, seeing as my subscription fee had been paid.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm sorry to hear this OP, very ripped off. I don't know how you traded the EC, sounds like you used the exchange or something, but it won't let you trade more than the 10 Million to a silver, same if they already have say 5 million won't let you trade 5,000,001 to them. Trading is the best way. I'd recommend meeting up in-game and trading next time.
    I feel your pain. I lost 23 million last week when I discovered my Gold Subscription was auto-downgraded to silver. Still wondering how that happened, and why, seeing as my subscription fee had been paid.

Wow that sucks mate, sorry to hear that. Have you thought of putting your EC into the account bank? Do silvers get access to that feature for free or does it unlock after they fork out for the over-priced account bank slots?
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    if you think that you are going to go over the limit then you can always transfer that excess amount of useless cash to me :D
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited September 2012

I bet they can count, though. :rolleyes:
    edited September 2012
    How did you attempt to transfer the EC? If you do a direct trade you cannot transfer more than the player can receive, I'm struggling to see what other way you could have done this. If you did it on a trade then this is a bug because I've tried this myself and the system simply will not allow you to do this.

For all those others jumping on this thread and calling Cryptic about being lazy perhaps you ought to check your facts first. The system is in place already, unless there has been a recent patch that has broken it then it is not an issue. We need to know how the OP tried to give the funds.

Probably had the daughter place something like a hypo on the exchange for 15mil, and had his toon buy the item. This is another problem with the exchange that has needed fixing since STO went P2P. I've heard this happen to legitimate sellers, they lose their item on the exchange and only get the EC that their cap allows.

It is a broken mechanic that needs to be fixed.
  • nikkyvixnikkyvix Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    crusty8mac wrote: »
    Probably had the daughter place something like a hypo on the exchange for 15mil, and had his toon buy the item. This is another problem with the exchange that has needed fixing since STO went P2P. I've heard this happen to legitimate sellers, they lose their item on the exchange and only get the EC that their cap allows.

It is a broken mechanic that needs to be fixed.

Release notes of July 26th:

Exchange:
    • Resolved an issue that prevented players from searching for Very Rare items.
    • The exchange price entry will now be cleared when the item is posted or cleared.
    • The exchange item popup will now include Passenger and Prisoner Duty Officers.
    • The Exchange will now prevent posting an item for more than the character's energy credit limit
    • 10,000,000 EC for silver characters.
    • 1,000,000,000 EC for gold characters.

This was instituted due to Silver players trying to sell items which would cause a return in ECr for more than their accounts allowed. I remember it distinctly because a fleetmate of mine was burned on a transaction of a Recluse carrier, getting 10m off of an 88m sale. This update came into play after that, to try and prevent players from making transactions beyond their caps. Over a month ago.

I have no idea how the OP managed to get bilked when this was already in effect and the main means of transferring credits (direct trade, Exchange) had limits. But I'm willing to hear those out before I go to the knee-jerk reaction of this thread and just insult Cryptic for his mistake.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
    "Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

My 2 cents

I don't think it's just the attitude - it's the reality of the situation.

If they've had to cut corners for 2 years just to keep the lights on (and as I understand it, they very much have), then there are a lot of corners to glue back together on top of continuing to make more of the game. That's going to mean they're going to be working kinks out from early on for years. Unfortunate, but without an utterly massive team this is what's going to happen. And it might well end up being a "too many cooks in the kitchen" situation even if they did this - too many developers trying to do too much at once resulting in an overall slowdown.
  • tovalmorgantovalmorgan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    when you attempt to give a player more than they can hold, there USED to be an error message preventing you from adding more EC in the trade window than the player can hold

that feature disappeared with season 6.

now when you try to give the player more than they can hold, the excess EC just disappears in to cyber space
    "We are the Perfect World. Life as you know it is over. We will add your monetary distinctiveness to our own. Your player base will adapt to service us. Resistance is Futile."
    edited September 2012
    nikkyvix wrote: »
    This update came into play after that, to try and prevent players from making transactions beyond their caps. Over a month ago.

I have no idea how the OP managed to get bilked when this was already in effect and the main means of transferring credits (direct trade, Exchange) had limits. But I'm willing to hear those out before I go to the knee-jerk reaction of this thread and just insult Cryptic for his mistake.

I'm just guessing again, but I'm guessing that this isn't working as intended. Or it's just borked.