test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

crafting mk xii purple console question

richandrewsrichandrews Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Ok so I want to try and make mk xii purple consoles, but I have a question about the doffs needed:

The requirements are 5* doffs with :
Resolve + efficient/stubborn/cunning

Right now I have no engy doffs with the required traits so I want to know if I have a decent chance to get a mk xii purple if I buy the following doffs:

4 * engy rare doffs with resolve + 1 trait
1 * engy very rare doff with resolve + 1 trait

Its gonna cost me 40million ec to get all those doffs so I want to know if its a waste of EC.
Post edited by richandrews on

Comments

• richandrewsrichandrews Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It's worth the investment if you also have about 50 powered alien artifacts to burn through.

I am crafting about 2 powered artifacts a day but if i buy all those doffs it will 100% wipe our my EC funds...so I want to know if those 4 blues with resolve+ 1 trait & 1 purple with resolve+1 trait is enought to have a highish chance of crafting purple mk xii consoles
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ok so I want to try and make mk xii purple consoles, but I have a question about the doffs needed:

The requirements are 5* doffs with :
    Resolve + efficient/stubborn/cunning

Right now I have no engy doffs with the required traits so I want to know if I have a decent chance to get a mk xii purple if I buy the following doffs:

4 * engy rare doffs with resolve + 1 trait
    1 * engy very rare doff with resolve + 1 trait

Its gonna cost me 40million ec to get all those doffs so I want to know if its a waste of EC.

IMO no. Its not worth it. If you already have the DOFFs its ok to occasional try to get a console. But the chance to get something decent is so abysmal low that its IMO not worth to spend such a huge amount to get things started.
  • macjack248macjack248 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Those DOffs will give you a roughly 20% chance of getting a purple console, 50% blue.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You may also consider buying stubborn & resolve tellarites from any other class but engineer. Purple science ones would definitely be a good choice since they are cheap. Maybe 4-5M each for 24% chances to get a purple console.

But buying such doffs won't make it profitable though, it can take ages before you see your credits back. It's just another lottery in game - consider it as a free lockbox stuff. Half of the time, you will get a green console not even worth the time it took to gather the materials.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited September 2012
    It's also worth remembering that even if you get a purple console, it isn't necessarily going to one you (or anyone else) wants.

Don't expect to be cranking out Phaser Relays or Antiproton Mag Regulators on a regular basis.
    edited September 2012
    macjack248 wrote: »
    It's also worth remembering that even if you get a purple console, it isn't necessarily going to one you (or anyone else) wants.

Don't expect to be cranking out Phaser Relays or Antiproton Mag Regulators on a regular basis.

I got none of these consoles in months. :D
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited September 2012
    I have had one Mag Regulator in my entire time of DOffing, and it was in fact the only useful console I have ever crafted.

Green Sensor Probes, on the other hand...

:(
  • skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, if you're going to buy engineers with resolve+stubborn/efficient now would actually be a pretty good time. I've noticed the price of them fluctuates greatly from around a high of 45 mil. to a low of 25 mil. I checked the exchange a couple days ago and they were around the cheapest I've ever seen them.
  • lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i am using 3 tholians and 2 other random purple doffs. they give me a 24% chance to craft a purple console and are really cheap at the moment. made a few hundred millions this way during the last weeks.

additional 1 or 2% chance wouldnt be noticeable unless you craft a few hundreds consoles. its not worth to invest several millions into better doff in my opinion...
  • verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    . Purple science ones would definitely be a good choice since they are cheap. Maybe 4-5M each for 24% chances to get a purple console.

AHAHAHAHHAHA how much, you might as well buy the Tholian Doffs as they have Resolve and Efficient each for around 800k each and will get you a 24% purple chance console
    edited September 2012
    verlaine11 wrote: »
    AHAHAHAHHAHA how much, you might as well buy the Tholian Doffs as they have Resolve and Efficient each for around 800k each and will get you a 24% purple chance console

Maybe, I don't buy doffs, I sell them. I don't use my tholians on this, that's why I didn't think to that.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited September 2012
    You would probably be better off selling the powered artifacts themselves rather than hoping to get a console worth a decent amount of EC's....
  • dood98998dood98998 Member Posts: 389
    edited September 2012
    darkenzedd wrote: »
    You would probably be better off selling the powered artifacts themselves rather than hoping to get a console worth a decent amount of EC's....

this^
    the only use of the alien artifacts is to sell them to suckers for a milli a pop.
    When in doubt, (hehe) c4!
    This sig dedicated to the many random objects the Mythbusters crew has blow to smitherines :D
  • thepantspartythepantsparty Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    When I last did the math, it was profitable to turn artifacts into consoles with good doffs, but because so much of the potential value is in a few select consoles the results are *incredibly* streaky. Unless you have the EC and patience to keep crafting consoles for a long time, you're better off selling the artifacts.
  • mjaymor78mjaymor78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    From what I have experienced and have read the highest you can get it is 24% Purple, 33% Blue, and 43% Green depending on how you set up the team. Also having them all as Engineers seems to increase you chances to at least at worst getting a blue console no matter what (Just what I have experienced don't quote me on it.).

Just like everything else in STO (STFs, Crafting, PvP, and etc.) everyones experience with any system in STO is going to be different then anyone elses experience. Some people have been extremely lucky, some have nothing but bad luck.

Bit of advice if you do decide to bit the bullet and buy the DOFFs, you are going to need to stock up on particle traces (Need all to make Powered Alien Artifacts) and Jevonite and Shapeshifting Lockets 3 each are required in getting the Strange Alien Artifacts.

Also, the more toons you have the easier it will be to stock up on supply.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    mjaymor78 wrote: »
    From what I have experienced and have read the highest you can get it is 24% Purple, 33% Blue, and 43% Green depending on how you set up the team. Also having them all as Engineers seems to increase you chances to at least at worst getting a blue console no matter what (Just what I have experienced don't quote me on it.)....
    I don't believe this is correct. With the current console crafting team that I've been using, the chances for producing a 'Green' Mk XII console is down to 27%...

To improve your odds, I find that its better, instead of maximizing the chances for a 'Purple', its better to minimize the odds for a 'Green', as 'Blue' Mk XII Consoles can still be incredibly useful...
    edited September 2012
    I don't believe this is correct. With the current console crafting team that I've been using, the chances for producing a 'Green' Mk XII console is down to 27%...

To improve your odds, I find that its better, instead of maximizing the chances for a 'Purple', its better to minimize the odds for a 'Green', as 'Blue' Mk XII Consoles can still be incredibly useful...

Hum interesting, didn't think you could get the green down that low.

I'll have to give it a try thanks for the info grouchyotaku
  • hroothvitnirhroothvitnir Member Posts: 322
    edited September 2012
    I simply keep a lookout on the exchange for good blue engineers. you can grab them with crit traits about once a month for 300k'ish whenever someone puts one up that doesnt know their value.

Other than that my favorite thing is seeing "complete purple console reward" YES! Monotanium armor .... :( *Facedesk*.
  • rivatrivat Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You can get odds of 24/51/25, and I'm fairly sure you can get better if you have 5 resolve engineers + useful trait. I'm running 4 purp + useful trait, and one blue + 2 useful traits right now.

I've spent a fair chunk of cash on artifacts, and so far made my money back, and then some. Had enough surplus credits to buy enough saurian officers with efficient to fill my roster out, an extra purple eng doff with resolve + something, plus a console. Would have more credits, but kept some of the purple ones, especially the antiproton mag I got yesterday.

Took a lot of work to get all those useful purple doffs though. Chances of a useful eng doff are pretty low.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    rivat wrote: »
    You can get odds of 24/51/25, and I'm fairly sure you can get better if you have 5 resolve engineers + useful trait. I'm running 4 purp + useful trait, and one blue + 2 useful traits right now.

I've spent a fair chunk of cash on artifacts, and so far made my money back, and then some. Had enough surplus credits to buy enough saurian officers with efficient to fill my roster out, an extra purple eng doff with resolve + something, plus a console. Would have more credits, but kept some of the purple ones, especially the antiproton mag I got yesterday.

Took a lot of work to get all those useful purple doffs though. Chances of a useful eng doff are pretty low.

I don't know! I had odds of 20% purple, 50% blue, and 30% green. I tried 7 times and I got 6 green and 1 blue. Complete waste of time as long as Cryptic doesn't understand the concept of basic math! :mad:
  • rivatrivat Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jcsww wrote: »
    I don't know! I had odds of 20% purple, 50% blue, and 30% green. I tried 7 times and I got 6 green and 1 blue. Complete waste of time as long as Cryptic doesn't understand the concept of basic math! :mad:

The odds seem accurate to me in the long run. The chances are per doff mission, so you may indeed end up with green item after green item, each time has no bearing on what you'll get next time.

I mean, I've ended up with two very rare Mkxii consoles that can be sold for lots. I kept one, and I'm selling the other for 42M. Most consoles don't go for that much, but I've been making enough to keep buying artifacts, and buy other stuff I wanted in the meantime. I hope more people sell artifacts as a way of making credits, I want the price to come down, means I can keep the doff mission running more often. :D
    edited September 2012

Yeah, tried that a few times yesterday, didn't work to well. Back to the Purple 24%, Blue 33%, Green 43%
  • admgreeradmgreer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have crafted over 30 artifacts with purple Eng doffs with resolve and stubborn and cunning at %24-%51-%24 (wheres the other %1 Cryptic?) and I keep getting green Pre-fire chambers and directed energy modulators. Not a single Tac console that boosts an energy type. Something seems off. I have received a few blue Eng consoles. But so far 16 green directed energy modulators. The number seem way off and its seems that the drop is not random but purposefully dropping junk consoles.
  • hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    IMO no. Its not worth it. If you already have the DOFFs its ok to occasional try to get a console. But the chance to get something decent is so abysmal low that its IMO not worth to spend such a huge amount to get things started.

I agree. It's a ridiculous pain in the tuchas with no assurance of gaining anything useful for that toon. It's about time they added a normal vendor for Mk XII purple gear of all varieties, in my humble opinion. Even if the price is high, it won't be outrageous exchange prices or some convoluted DOFF mission with random results.
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    admgreer wrote: »
    I have crafted over 30 artifacts with purple Eng doffs with resolve and stubborn and cunning at %24-%51-%24 (wheres the other %1 Cryptic?) and I keep getting green Pre-fire chambers and directed energy modulators. Not a single Tac console that boosts an energy type. Something seems off. I have received a few blue Eng consoles. But so far 16 green directed energy modulators. The number seem way off and its seems that the drop is not random but purposefully dropping junk consoles.
    You just have to keep playing the odds... Keep doing it, and sooner or later, you will get something useful...

Personally, I wouldn't spend ECs just for a chance to craft Mk XII Consoles... But from my point of view, 'Rare Traces' are simply a by-product of my daily B'Tran grind for Dilithium. (Be sure to collect every data sample you come across, for the chance for that 'Rare Trace'...) And my grind for 'Rare Commodities' in Cardassian space will occasionally come across the 'Negotiate Delivery of Additional Rare Commodities' for additional 'Alien Artifacts'. So as far as I'm concerned, the costs to craft those Mk XII Consoles are free...

About half of whats produced is junk, the remaining third I don't use and go into the Fleet Bank. But whats left goes to my Main or one of my Alts and are very very useful...
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    admgreer wrote: »
    It's somewhat random, at least as random as a computer can make it. My first ever console was a purple field generator, third one was a purple disruptor induction coil. Keep trying it's bound to turn up something good.

EDIT: This post has been closed due to being a "necro" thread. Remember, if a thread has not been posted to in over 30 days, please start a new thread to discuss a topic :) Thanks! ~BranFlakes
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
This discussion has been closed.