Install Arc
Options

City of Heroes Shuts Down

Comments

• Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited September 2012
    Hi Captains,

I'm still at PAX, actually on the floor as I write this, but I had to stop by to check in on this thread with a few comments.

First and foremost, our (PWE and Cryptic) thoughts go out to the entire team at Paragon and everyone who is/ was involved with CoH/ CoV. We really wish the best for the team and hope to see their work again on other projects very, very soon. Much of the Cryptic team was actually involved with the project originally; we are all truly and deeply saddened to hear this news.

Second, the rumor that we were involved in anyway in this decision is just insane. I'm not sure where the rumor originated from but I can confirm that it completely false. Hope that clears that up.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Can we run after you with pitch-forks and torches anyway? :confused:

...I mean we stocked up on all these looting, razing and rioting tools might as well use them... :D
  • Options
    commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    themarie wrote: »
    Can we run after you with pitch-forks and torches anyway? :confused:

...I mean we stocked up on all these looting, razing and rioting tools might as well use them... :D

Don't worry. I'm sure something will come up soon.
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."
    edited September 2012
    I never played COH

look from a buisness stand point do you keep putting money into a game that has run it's course
    no time to kill it and start a new franchise will rise in it's place

this adds DEV's to the STO and Neverwinter teams
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hi Captains,

I'm still at PAX, actually on the floor as I write this, but I had to stop by to check in on this thread with a few comments.

First and foremost, our (PWE and Cryptic) thoughts go out to the entire team at Paragon and everyone who is/ was involved with CoH/ CoV. We really wish the best for the team and hope to see their work again on other projects very, very soon. Much of the Cryptic team was actually involved with the project originally; we are all truly and deeply saddened to hear this news.

Second, the rumor that we were involved in anyway in this decision is just insane. I'm not sure where the rumor originated from but I can confirm that it completely false. Hope that clears that up.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Hope you're enjoying PAX... and like I said, I'd think any involvement by Cryptic was indirect at worst. (Ie. if NCSoft paid license fees to Cryptic on some of the tech or viewed the game as generating interest in Cryptic.) I know you guys are close and many have remained fairly close... and I know Jack's decision to break off Cryptic from City of Heroes was a hard decision designed to keep everyone employed. So I'd be surprised if anyone at Cryptic was instrumental in or happy with this decision.

As I said on the Champs forums: However unlikely, I'd LOVE it if Cryptic could buy back the CoH IP and stage a fullscale crossover between the Champs and CoH IPs in the vein of comic book intercompany crossovers. It would be REALLY awesome if Champs characters could visit Atlas Park as a new zone and if we could have a "fight and team up" story between Defender and Statesman's teams with waves of costume packs modeled on Arachnos, The Fifth Column, and Freedom Phalanx.

Also, as much as I'd love to see waves of Foundry authors brought onboard at Cryptic, I hope at least a few of the Paragon folks land home at Cryptic and wish them all the best.

In some ways, I think the Paragon/Cryptic split divided Cryptic down the middle. The folks who left with Jack were the ones excited and skilled at developing games and the folks at Paragon were the ones really versed at lore and maintaining games. This has led to Cryptic being able to force their way through some impossible development deadlines but has also resulted in the games Cryptic has launched since the split being a bit ADD, with teams that behaved as if their games were pre-launch. It's resulted in feature creep and new game systems mania on Champs and STO because Cryptic's core staff was driven by a love of developing new games and systems more than maintaining existing ones. There's been turnover and this has changed somewhat...

... But I DO think you'd be hard pressed to find better hires for STO and Champs than you'd find with Paragon's teams. Cryptic is great at developing games under impossible conditions but Paragon's teams have shown their chops at knowing how to handle a game that already exists.

That may have hurt Paragon in terms of F2P transition for CoH, because the skills needed for that were the kind you'd find in a "store opening" team. But it doesn't diminish my belief that Paragon's employees were stalwart custodians of an existing game, the kind that CO and STO need now and that Neverwinter will need in 2014 and beyond.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    That may have hurt Paragon in terms of F2P transition for CoH, because the skills needed for that were the kind you'd find in a "store opening" team. But it doesn't diminish my belief that Paragon's employees were stalwart custodians of an existing game, the kind that CO and STO need now and that Neverwinter will need in 2014 and beyond.

Well said. Seasons have added some very good things, but they're so jarring with all the new addtions and have such long lulls of not much between them. If Paragon is like you say, then we truly need a little bit of that mentality around STO. New stuff is all well and good, but repairing and finishing old stuff is sometimes just as good. :)
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    sean2448 wrote: »
    I never played COH

look from a buisness stand point do you keep putting money into a game that has run it's course
    no time to kill it and start a new franchise will rise in it's place

this adds DEV's to the STO and Neverwinter teams

Only if there are openings. But if there are, I think we'll see some faces from Paragon turn up here.
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hi Captains,

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Just wanted to throw this out there (even though i'm pretty certain you guys are already aware) ...

With the "imminent" shutdown of CoH/CoV and the closure of Paragon Studios, PWE/Cryptic would be wise to hire/re-hire as many of the Paragon devs as possible, to expand the workforce on your end, and perhaps get to work on fixing the games you already have out (CO and STO).
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    asheistheravenasheistheraven Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I want to be clear that when I started this thread I in no way intended it to become a debate about Crytic's involvement which I believe to be practically nill.

No my major concern was that CoH was such an established title, that to see it's departure develops quite a concern to me about not only STO's place in the F2P areana but most MMO's to date. currently STO is the ONLY mmo I play and enjoy, and the current "cash cow" approach to STO concerns me as I'd hate to see what will happen if PW decide that the Cryptic Store and the currently increasingly annoying lock boxes have run their profitable course.

CoH's departure was an out of the blue announcement, the office just closed instantly and without any warning to it;s customers. I'd hate to see STO got the same way
  • Options
    badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This is all the actions of Lord Blackthorne.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2012
    I learned of this on Facebook on Friday morning, while I was waiting in the airport for my plane to PAX.
    It is always sad to see a project, let alone a studio get shut down. But for me, COH was my FIRST game job ever, so it is especially sad to see it close it's doors.

I will echo Brandon's assertion that any claims of our involvement in this are ludicrous. While we have been competitors for the past couple years, we have always been friendly with each other. We each had our own niche in the market, and we harbored no ill-will to the Paragon team. There are probably 20-30 people left at Cryptic who worked on COH/V back in the day. That is far more than I would expect at any other company when talking about an 8 year old game.

I wish everyone on the Paragon team the best in a speedy hiring. I can assure you the first thing I did when I heard, was to forward the link to our recruiter. I hope we can snag a few of the talented team, and hope the rest get picked up quickly elsewhere.

Good luck guys!
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I wish everyone on the Paragon team the best in a speedy hiring. I can assure you the first thing I did when I heard, was to forward the link to our recruiter. I hope we can snag a few of the talented team, and hope the rest get picked up quickly elsewhere.

Good luck guys!

Was PvP any good @ CoH???
  • Options
    webdeathwebdeath Member Posts: 1,570 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I know all good things must come to an end. And I didn't really see it coming, but after the way they released F2P I can't say I care. :\
    You think that your beta test was bad?
    Think about this:
    American Football has been in open beta for 144 years. ~Kotaku
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mithril2098mithril2098 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    the primary reason some people seem to figure Cryptic is involved is due to rumors that the CoH license still belongs to Cryptic, and that the sudden end of CoH was the result of some re-licensing issue on the part of NCsoft.

personally i figure it has to do with NCsoft's $6 million loss they reported last quarter, and they are just dismantling their older games to free up resources and creative staff in a gamble to get Guild Wars 2 up and running along.

CoH was the first MMO i enjoyed, and with it going under, i find myself drawn here instead. as a trekkie, STO kept trying to lure me away, but i only have time and budget for one MMO at a time, and until now CoH was it. i'll miss it, but i knew it would end one way or another some day. i just wish it hadn't been so sudden.

"Tiny little dots far, far away. Our eyes drawn to the twinkle of a hundred billion galaxies. Giving life to illusion, illusion to life. Something upon which to hang our hopes."
    - Tobias LeConte - Dream Weaver - seaQuest DSV
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    havam wrote: »

I enjoyed PVP in CoH Until they went F2P and ruined the game for me.
    Think about this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I learned of this on Facebook on Friday morning, while I was waiting in the airport for my plane to PAX.
    It is always sad to see a project, let alone a studio get shut down. But for me, COH was my FIRST game job ever, so it is especially sad to see it close it's doors.

I will echo Brandon's assertion that any claims of our involvement in this are ludicrous. While we have been competitors for the past couple years, we have always been friendly with each other. We each had our own niche in the market, and we harbored no ill-will to the Paragon team. There are probably 20-30 people left at Cryptic who worked on COH/V back in the day. That is far more than I would expect at any other company when talking about an 8 year old game.

Good luck guys!

Agreed. There are quite a few people there that were great with the work they did for City of Heroes/villians. And it would be nice for Champions Online or STO or even Neverwinter to be able to pick up those who are now in need of finding a new place to hang their hat.

And City was one of the First MMO's that I got into pretty heavily.. especially the PVP Parts. Loved PVPing on my Merc/Traps Mastermind. Web Death will always be my favorite character that I played. :)
    Think about this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I remember when my very first MMO (Meridian 59) shut down. I was heartbroken, as I'd poured a lot of time into it. Granted, Meridian 59 is very old (it was the first graphical MMO, actually!) and is downright horrible by today's standards.

BUT!

It was rebooted by the original developers and is actually still running today. The game sucks when compared to more modern online games, and I have no interest in playing it anymore, but still it's nice to know that "the show goes on."

I wonder if these larger-scale games have such a future...
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    On the plus side, maybe Cryptic can hire a few of the newly-unemployed developers? Fill some of those open positions.
  • Options
    rikevrikev Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hire Posi and I go gold.

:D
    Hi, my name is Nigel. I'm your group's healer.
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I do not believe Matt and Jack are best of friends. I might be wrong, but I do not believe the parting 5 years ago was on great terms.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    havam wrote: »

It wasn't bad. They had a few zones that were open PvP, with some PvE objectives in them (that weren't necessary to the other PvE storylines). So there wasn't really a reason to go into them unless you expressly intended to PvP, but while you were there, you could do something else. They never really extended that concept very far though; it was just "this zone is done, moving on".
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    It wasn't bad. They had a few zones that were open PvP, with some PvE objectives in them (that weren't necessary to the other PvE storylines). So there wasn't really a reason to go into them unless you expressly intended to PvP, but while you were there, you could do something else. They never really extended that concept very far though; it was just "this zone is done, moving on".

Think I went to Bloody Bay the most to pick up those Shivan Shards. Shivan Shards summoned an alien Elite Boss pet that followed you around for 5 minutes. Warburg allowed you to acquire Missiles that gave a devastating attack, debuff, or buff. Recluse's Victory had a Mech Elite Boss that could be acquired, but was really annoying to get. Siren's Call had various temporary items that could be purchased depending on if your side was winning and by how much they were winning by.

There was also the Arena that allowed players to fight various types of matches against each other and allow you to control gladiators to fight for you. These gladiators could be achieved by doing various PvE tasks like defeat 100 of a certain type of enemy, exploration, or doing a trial.

Didn't PvP much, but I will certainly miss this game when it goes. The farewell announcement has certainly motivated me to do the various story arcs from Issue 21 on. Incarnate trials and Task Forces have lost all interest to me since whats the point. My character is gone in a few months so any significant work done on it is useless.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    No, this has nothing to do with PWE, and everything to do with NC and its long history of culling games that aren't doing precisely as well as they want, even if they are profitable, and CoH was making around $10 million a year profit.

CoH was making $2.5 million in gross revenues, only a fraction of which would be profit; and their development expenses had greatly increased. Unlike both the other games in this genre, their post-F2P bump completely evaporated shortly afterwards.
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A sad day. I enjoyed CoX, especially the Villain side. Even more than STO. I was considering going back but oh well.

R.I.P. Statesman
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    starkaos wrote: »
    Think I went to Bloody Bay the most to pick up those Shivan Shards. Shivan Shards summoned an alien Elite Boss pet that followed you around for 5 minutes. Warburg allowed you to acquire Missiles that gave a devastating attack, debuff, or buff. Recluse's Victory had a Mech Elite Boss that could be acquired, but was really annoying to get. Siren's Call had various temporary items that could be purchased depending on if your side was winning and by how much they were winning by.

There was also the Arena that allowed players to fight various types of matches against each other and allow you to control gladiators to fight for you. These gladiators could be achieved by doing various PvE tasks like defeat 100 of a certain type of enemy, exploration, or doing a trial.

Didn't PvP much, but I will certainly miss this game when it goes. The farewell announcement has certainly motivated me to do the various story arcs from Issue 21 on. Incarnate trials and Task Forces have lost all interest to me since whats the point. My character is gone in a few months so any significant work done on it is useless.

I think Siren's call was nifty for it's Bounty System, but it wasn't a max level zone, so it wasn't as much fun to play on for me.

Favorite thing to do in PVP Zones.. TP Foe into the base protecting Drones. It was so funny how mad people would get.. when the obvious response was simply.. "You don't like it? Back the heck up!" :D
    Think about this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So, "Guild Wars" and "****" were the other 2% of their NA market then? Somehow, I think GW and :****" were and are doing WAY better then CoH.

I'm actually sorry to see the game go (and I was one of the first 300 people too get into CoH beta in 2003); and I played the game off and on for 5 years. That said, I don't think there is any conspiracy where Cryptic did something to pull the plug as NCSoft has a habit of closing MMOs for various reasons.

- "Auto Assualt" was closed because it did meet retention benchmarks for NCSoft.

- "City of Hero" flopped big time in the asian MMO market (it was the entire reason PvP was tacked on to "City of Heroes" in Issue 4.)

- "Tabula Rasa" (after being re-tooled prior to beta at the demand of NCSoft management) - but even so, by mosyt analysis was doing well and expanding it's playerbase) was closed so they could terminate a contract with Richard Garriott.

and the recent history of CoH was:

- Paragon delivered "Going Rogue" way late and over budget.

- "Going Rogue" sales and the resulting CoH supscription bump underperformed in NCSoft's eyes.

- NCSoft took the game F2P/Freemium in an attempt to boost profitability a little over a year ago. Maybe the results were again below NCSoft's expectations?

(And interestingly enought didn't the Paragon folks say that NCSoft had green lit them to work on a new MMO for NCSoft recently?)

But I don't think the NCSoft decision was motivated by any action of Cryptic or PWE.

And as for NCSoft foling Paragon into tjhe GW2 development team - most of the articles I read stated all 80 Paragon employees had in fact received their temination notices.

Again, it sucks for EVERYONE involved ffrom the current CoH playerbase, to the developers who lost their jobs; but I haven't seen anything to suggest it was because of something done by Cryptic Studios to kill the game; and I have a feeling were that in fact the case someone from the Paragon Studio would have made that known in some way.

Again, NCSoft shutting down one of their MMOs isn't unheard of and in fact, is (unfortunately) a rather common occurance of late for that developer.
    As a guy who played CoH exclusively for years, I can say that this is the most succinct summary I can imagine, in what has happened to NCSoft titles, including CoH.

It also describes why I left the game to pursue other games, such as STO, Fallout 3, etc. Going Rogue wasn't quite what everyone turned out to be, and didn't really attract many new players. The same can be said with the F2P conversion, because the verdict had been out on CoH for years (even though a lot changed between various articles and the current game).

For existing players, the new systems were developed for mostly solo play, for high-end characters, and for subscriptions. The F2P players didn't get much in the way of new stuff, so the only reason to play was to play the original stuff that a lot pf players had already seen. The Silver and Gold systems didn't offer people like me - burnt-out veteran players - a lot to look forward to in between dropping a sub and playing all the old content, or having a sub and grinding a bunch of end-level loot.

As sad as I am to see CoH shuttered (especially in such a dramatic way), it wasn't surprising. I was more surprised about how sad it made me feel - lots of good memories and friends in Paragon City.

If it gets saved by some deus ex machina, I do hope that they'll do more to make it appealing to old vets and new players alike.

Whatever happens, the team has a lot of talent, and anyone would be foolish *not* to hire any of those people for their projects.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • Options
    captsxcolcaptsxcol Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I would ask that all MMO player - CoX, STO, WoW, SW:TOR, or any other game you'd care to name please help a community in need - sign there petition.

One day your game might be up for the final switch off.

Having played a few MMOs I can say that there is none out there that has the global community spirt that CoX has.

Sign the petition.

Help these heroes fight one last battle - maybe their biggest and most challenging to date.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Positron has announced that they will be doing a "Ask Paragon Studios" (my name for it) where you can ask any question about the game like why some character wasn't introduced or the future plans of the game. I think this has to be a really cool way to go.

So if you have any question about City of Heroes about current or future state of the game and have a City of Heroes forum account, then post here.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    FYI - In addition to PWE_Branflakes debunking the rumor that Cryptic or PWE had anything to do with NCSoft's decision to shutdown CoX, Back-Alley-Brawler (who is now working on NeverWinter for Cryptic, posted the following over on the CoX forums (under his CoX forum user name "Tic-Toc" <--- Which is verified as BaBs):

Link to the CoX forum post with his comments on the matter (link)

So, unless you have a really tight tin-foil hat; the blame is squarly on NCSoft alone for the CoX shutdown decision.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."