test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Friday Screenshot Available

trailturtletrailturtle Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58
edited September 2012 in Galactic News Network [PC]
We've added a new screenshot to the screenshot gallery. This concept art is of the Azure Nebula that is planned to be introduced in Season 7.

Link to the gallery.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,148 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    how that will end: the tholians and starfleet will fight each other while the terran ship in the asteroid pew pew pew everything that moves.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • daalagtcdaalagtc Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Or do we have to resque the Enterprise F?
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited August 2012
    When I first saw that picture I thought it was the Nexus Ribbon, I am dissapoint....
  • rheatitanrheatitan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    A concept of things to come??
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Correct me if I am wrong but will this be something that feds get to do in KDF space? Azure Nebula is in KDF space but there are no Tholians there lol only Romulans.

This could be good if each faction has something that the other faction can't do but sort of use it as more story I suppose but if it is indeed of something to come odds are it will more than likely not be cross faction and fed only.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    darkenzedd wrote: »
    When I first saw that picture I thought it was the Nexus Ribbon, I am dissapoint....

Uh. Who said it isn't?
  • boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Not be a nit-picker...but how is concept art a screenshot? Isn't concept art just art and not rendered in game?
    Uh. Who said it isn't?

Please - no. No more timeline abuse. My head hurts from the temporal leaps of logic things like this require.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    Specifically, the Nexus passes near Earth (where it picked up Kirk) and winds up on the far end of deep space near the Dyson Sphere (just past the Azure Nebula).

So the Azure Nebula kinda makes sense as a place where it COULD be encountered.
    edited August 2012
    boglejam73 wrote: »
    Not be a nit-picker...but how is concept art a screenshot? Isn't concept art just art and not rendered in game?

Please - no. No more timeline abuse. My head hurts from the temporal leaps of logic things like this require.

Timeline abuse?

Huh?

It's just this floating shangri-la fantasy world that darts through once every 39.1 years.

Okay, so once you're inside of it, you CAN time travel. But the Nexus doesn't require time travel.
  • woerligenwoerligen Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The Nexus Ribbon is scheduled to return in 2410. We have 2409 by now, since launch.

In a parallel universe, the Azure Nebula is full of natural transwarp conduits that lead e.g. to the Gamma-Delta Quadrant border (Hirogen territory), to the DQ (Children of the Storm territory) and the interstellar void, amongst dozens of others. (Star Trek: Destiny)

What we see on the picture are the Tholians opening rifts to the Mirror Universe, capturing Terran starships (such as ISS Enterprise-F), with the KDF and the Federation rushing to intervene. :cool:
    Leipzig University, 1409-2409
  • boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Timeline abuse?

Huh?

It's just this floating shangri-la fantasy world that darts through once every 39.1 years.

Okay, so once you're inside of it, you CAN time travel. But the Nexus doesn't require time travel.

Right, but since its only actual on-screen use has been for time travel out of the internal, individual fantasy worlds, I am concerned.

And lets be honest - which would be a more likely mission for Cryptic to crank out related to the nexus? Yet another time travel mission using the nexus or some nebulous shangra-la fantasy world involving the nexus that obviously wouldn't fit individual player fantasies?

Ug. Tired...of...time...travel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • insanerandomnesinsanerandomnes Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's the crack in the universe! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!
    I AM THE HARBINGER OF HOPE!
    I AM THE SWORD OF THE RIGHTOUS!

dark_dreadnaught_by_insane_randomness-d5z6ydl.jpg
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't think it is the nexus, I think it is just suppose to represent the universal tears the Tholians like to make.

Or its neither of those and its just a strip of different colour nebula.
    edited August 2012
    woerligen wrote: »
    The Nexus Ribbon is scheduled to return in 2410. We have 2409 by now, since launch.

In a parallel universe, the Azure Nebula is full of natural transwarp conduits that lead e.g. to the Gamma-Delta Quadrant border (Hirogen territory), to the DQ (Children of the Storm territory) and the interstellar void, amongst dozens of others. (Star Trek: Destiny)

What we see on the picture are the Tholians opening rifts to the Mirror Universe, capturing Terran starships (such as ISS Enterprise-F), with the KDF and the Federation rushing to intervene. :cool:

Going by stardate calculation of in-mission stardates...

Vega Colony Borg Incident is early 2409. By The 2800, it's December of 2409.

Yeah, yeah, we went from ensign to admiral in a year. I think the problem there would have been solved if they'd made our level the "year" and earning skill would advance the timeline.

So that 50 missions represent highlights over 10-15 years or so.

But that's not what Cryptic did.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I wonder what ship is in the far back Tholian dock there, it is kinda flat.
    edited August 2012
    boglejam73 wrote: »
    Right, but since its only actual on-screen use has been for time travel out of the internal, individual fantasy worlds, I am concerned.

And lets be honest - which would be a more likely mission for Cryptic to crank out related to the nexus? Yet another time travel mission using the nexus or some nebulous shangra-la fantasy world involving the nexus that obviously wouldn't fit individual player fantasies?

Ug. Tired...of...time...travel.

I'd be okay with a few more time travel missions as long as they are NOT to the TOS era.

We have costumes for other eras (aside from the Lost Era, which is the collarless WoK jacket with TNG combadge phased in and eventually the TNG/WoK uniform that Janeway's dad wore).

If we're going somewhere, I'd hope it would be something like TMP era. Dan's a fan and it's the one era I can't remember any time travel to or from. We have Morgan bateson/Kirk/Voyager Flashback for the WoK era. The game alone has tons of TOS time travel. I'd prefer to either hit up the bell bottom era or the Stargazer/Enterprise-C era.
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Speaking of time travel missions the state of the q mission, you go back in time to save ben sisko, but you do not get any help or see anyone from the era during the whole mission, it is just a borg fest.....great mission that could be remastered to be really great....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    Speaking of time travel missions the state of the q mission, you go back in time to save ben sisko, but you do not get any help or see anyone from the era during the whole mission, it is just a borg fest.....great mission that could be remastered to be really great....

Good point.

And while we're on the subject, I would be inclined to say that the Nexus is tied to the great barriers at the galactic rim and core (and, presumably, top and bottom?). That this ties in with the Iconians, the Old Ones mentioned in TOS (whose servants look not unlike the Iconians, maybe the animal equivalent -- TOS: "Catspaw")...

And that the Nexus is the origin of the Sha Ka Ree myth. Since we've never seen the true Sha Ka Ree.
  • solidsamsolidsam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Timeline abuse?

Huh?

According to a segment on either the Generations blu-ray or the Evolution bonus disc special features, the Nexus ribbon will reappear in 2410. Remember, people who have been in the Nexus have part of them in it forever.
    Formerly known as Khannnnn
    "Spock, this 'child' is about to wipe out every living thing on Earth. Now, what do you suggest we do? Spank it?" -Commander Leonard 'Bones' McCoy, M.D.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    umm ya, nexus confirmed :eek:
    edited August 2012
    solidsam wrote: »
    According to a segment on either the Generations blu-ray or the Evolution bonus disc special features, the Nexus ribbon will reappear in 2410. Remember, people who have been in the Nexus have part of them in it forever.

Actually, Ron Moore said in an interview that only people beamed out leave behind an echo.

So Soran and Guinan have echoes in there. Picard and Kirk don't. You could always conjure up an imaginary Kirk inside there or use the Nexus to travel back to Kirk's day if you had the willpower to leave.

Soran's echo is an interesting point because although he was included in some screenplay drafts, he never made it into the film.
    edited August 2012
    Ronald D. Moore commented:
    "Guinan, Soran, and the other El-Aurians are in some kind of transitional phase going into the Nexus when their ships begin exploding. The Enterprise-B beams them away at a crucial moment that brings their physical bodies back, but leaves behind some kind of "echo" (at least for Guinan ? whether or not Soren also left behind an "echo" was the subject of much debate and many rewrites, some including a Soren doppelganger and some even including a meeting between the two Sorens in the Nexus). The momentary sensation of being in the Nexus leaves both Guinan and Soren with an almost overpowering desire to return. When Kirk is pulled into the Nexus, there's no transporter beam to yank him away and hence, he's completely left inside. When Picard and Soren enter the Nexus years later, they too are pulled in completely and the idea of an "echo" should not apply since it was the direct result of a transporter fluke in a very specific instance." (AOL chat, 1997)

That's about as official as it gets anyway.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's the crack in the universe! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

So since the crack is in the Azure Nebula, which is in Klingon space, does that mean it will consume the Empire to the point we'll forget they ever existed?

/KDFtrolling :P
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm happy to hear that the new Sector is the Azure Nebula and that it's being moved to its proper canonical location. Though surprised its the "Azure Nebula" sector, instead of having it a named sector and the Azure Nebula being a floating cloud like the other nebulae in STO.

Though got to ask the team, what's going to happen to the old Azure Nebula? Removed or renamed?
    Correct me if I am wrong but will this be something that feds get to do in KDF space? Azure Nebula is in KDF space but there are no Tholians there lol only Romulans.

The Azure Nebula never belonged in Omega Leonis. It supposed to be along the Federation Border as per canon.

Sulu tried to use the Azure Nebula to sneek into Klingon Territory to save Kirk.
    woerligen wrote: »

Not sure if that really is the Nexus but a subspace tear. But if it is the Nexus, Cryptic has to advance the timeline or give an explaination why it's early.

I honestly never liked that idea for the Destiny series with the Azure Nebula having those Transwarp Conduits.
  • zadamazadama Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I wonder if - by relating it to the Star Trek: Destiny timeline - that the Azure Nebula is the means by which we will see the Vesta being introduced?
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So since the crack is in the Azure Nebula, which is in Klingon space, does that mean it will consume the Empire to the point we'll forget they ever existed?

/KDFtrolling :P

Is there a Doctor in the house?!
  • icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Not sure if that really is the Nexus but a subspace tear. But if it is the Nexus, Cryptic has to advance the timeline or give an explaination why it's early.
    Well, in THEORY, what Tolian Soran did to alter its path COULD theoretically swing it around a little earlier. True?
    edited September 2012
    I'm happy to hear that the new Sector is the Azure Nebula and that it's being moved to its proper canonical location. Though surprised its the "Azure Nebula" sector, instead of having it a named sector and the Azure Nebula being a floating cloud like the other nebulae in STO.

Though got to ask the team, what's going to happen to the old Azure Nebula? Removed or renamed?

The Azure Nebula never belonged in Omega Leonis. It supposed to be along the Federation Border as per canon.

Sulu tried to use the Azure Nebula to sneek into Klingon Territory to save Kirk.

I honestly never liked that idea for the Destiny series with the Azure Nebula having those Transwarp Conduits.

Or the new missions take place in 2410.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Or the new missions take place in 2410.

True.

But like to see how they advance the timeline and retaining the other 2409 storylines. Because one of the things Cryptic really does need to do is advance the game storywise and in a way a person that starts new, can start in early 2409 and go through all the missions and feel like time is progressing.
    icegavel wrote: »
    Well, in THEORY, what Tolian Soran did to alter its path COULD theoretically swing it around a little earlier. True?

I don't see the Federation or the Klingons blowing up stars to alter the path of the Nexus. :rolleyes:

It is plausible that the Hobus Event could've altered the course of the Nexus, however given the distance from the previous Nexus paths on the Star Charts, realistically it would be infinitely minor (after all the Amagosa star only changed the course by a few degrees and the Nexus was passing very close).
  • solidsamsolidsam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Actually, Ron Moore said in an interview...

Well, I sit corrected.
    Formerly known as Khannnnn
    "Spock, this 'child' is about to wipe out every living thing on Earth. Now, what do you suggest we do? Spank it?" -Commander Leonard 'Bones' McCoy, M.D.
This discussion has been closed.