test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What races are already in the Foundry?

tmichctmichc Member Posts: 164 Arc User
Hi all,

Well, since I topped out my main character, and am getting bored of levelling my alt and/or running STFs, I decided to crack open the Foundry again after a long absence (some 2 years).

Now, I have an idea involving Borg and Tholians fighting in space and on a planet, with SOTO being caught up in the middle of it, as the player races to stop both sides getting their hands on Iconian technology. Looking at various threads, I can see that neither the STF costumes (Omega/MACO/HG) nor the Tholians are in the Foundry. And I can also see that no one has a clue when they'll be added (bang goes my idea for a custom Omega character that the player interacts with).

So, in the interim, I was hoping to create smaller missions to get a feel for mechanics and so on as well as populate maps. In that vein, what else is in the Foundry? Can we create custom Borg NPCs? Also, are the rest of the races/factions represented and customisable, i.e. Romulans, Breen, Bajorans, Jem'Hadar? And are any of the Iconian ships/gateways from the Romulan series of missions in the Foundry?

Many thanks,

Tim
Post edited by tmichc on

Comments

• Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2012
    Welcome to the Foundry!

We have access to a lot of the races available in the normal character creator. However when you're making custom skins, you can only make them wearing Fed or Klingon uniforms, or the off-duty options. For some races that we don't technically have access to, like Cardassians, we can use the alien creator like on our normal characters or BOFFs. There are many options missing, however, and some that are restricted (whether intentionally or not). We do not have access to many uniform options such as the Jupiter or Bajoran uniforms. Some people can make Caitians. I can't, not sure why. Lifetime sub holders can make liberated Borg, the rest of us can't.

We do have a large library of pre-built NPCs that we can use. These represent all the major races, and many are the skins used on enemy mobs in the game: Jem'Hadar, Romulans, Klingons, Breen, Gorn, Orions, Letheans, Cardassians, Borg, Remans, Hirogen, Undine. Also many different starfleet officers, including cadets.

We can't alter the appearance of these any.

Best way to look and see what we have is to open it up and look at the NPC contact tab, and play around with the custom costume maker.

Also if you have any questions and need an answer in realtime, feel free to join the chat room at www.starbaseugc.com.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Does the ability to make Caitians have to do with whether you bought the playable Caitian from the C-Store?

I also saw someone (leviathan) with a Liberated Borg. But I can't see where I could do that. How was that possible?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    gulberat wrote: »
    Does the ability to make Caitians have to do with whether you bought the playable Caitian from the C-Store?

I also saw someone (leviathan) with a Liberated Borg. But I can't see where I could do that. How was that possible?

I am almost certain that we used to be able to make a Caitian. I was really surprised tonight when I couldn't. Just like I used to be able to make a liberated Borg.

Anyone else confirm this? Races have gone missing, it seems. This has happened before on Tribble, where Hav could make a Rigelian but I couldn't because I hadn't purchased Rigelians.

Is this the case now with some of the races? I've never bought a playable race. If you have and see it as an option in the costume editor, let me know. I'll check to see if I can too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I was never able to make a Caitian. I have never bought that race. I'm quite certain I used to be able to make a liberated Borg, but lately it has been lifetimers only. I've had some test it for me.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Playing around with the character creator part last night, I noticed that everything I have unlocked on Holodeck normal play (merc outfits, veteran uniforms, Joined Trill, Liberated Borg - I am an LTS, etc) is available to me for creating new NPCs.

Now if only there was a randomiser so I could create a 'type', i.e. Starfleet Special Operations Commando, outfit and have the computer randomly generate the race/hair/body options.

Tim
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    In fact there is, though you will have to do some of it manually. What you do is create your costume with the uniform the way you want it. Then click the button that says "duplicate costume" above the list of your custom costumes. This will give you an exact duplicate of your costume. Select the new one, and below the main 3D display in the middle of the screen, you'll see three buttons that say "Head" "Upper Body" and "Lower Body." These buttons will randomize those portions of the costume when clicked.

I would recommend sticking to the head randomizer, as the others will change your uniform. You can adjust the height and body attributes of the new costume manually.

However, if you want to change species, you'll have to build the uniform again from scratch.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    kirksplat wrote: »
    I am almost certain that we used to be able to make a Caitian. I was really surprised tonight when I couldn't. Just like I used to be able to make a liberated Borg.

Anyone else confirm this? Races have gone missing, it seems. This has happened before on Tribble, where Hav could make a Rigelian but I couldn't because I hadn't purchased Rigelians.

Is this the case now with some of the races? I've never bought a playable race. If you have and see it as an option in the costume editor, let me know. I'll check to see if I can too.

I can make a Liberated Borg but the blue/white skintones are not available.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    tmichc wrote: »
    Playing around with the character creator part last night, I noticed that everything I have unlocked on Holodeck normal play (merc outfits, veteran uniforms, Joined Trill, Liberated Borg - I am an LTS, etc) is available to me for creating new NPCs.

Now if only there was a randomiser so I could create a 'type', i.e. Starfleet Special Operations Commando, outfit and have the computer randomly generate the race/hair/body options.

Tim

Merc outfits and gold shoulder vet uniforms were always available.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I can make a Liberated Borg but the blue/white skintones are not available.

I can see no way to make a liberated Borg.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Set allegiance to Starfleet, then look through the Species options.

I see Andorian, Bajoran, Benzite, Bolian, Caitian, Ferengi, Joined Trill, Klingon, Liberated Borg Human, Pakled, Rigelian, Saurian, Tellarite, Trill, Vulcan, Alien as options for Fed costumes in Foundry.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Set allegiance to Starfleet, then look through the Species options.

I see Andorian, Bajoran, Benzite, Bolian, Caitian, Ferengi, Joined Trill, Klingon, Liberated Borg Human, Pakled, Rigelian, Saurian, Tellarite, Trill, Vulcan, Alien as options for Fed costumes in Foundry.

I see: Human, Andorian, Bajoran, Benzite, Betazoid, Bolian, Ferengi, Pakled, Rigelian, Saurian, Tellarite, Trill, Vulcan, and Alien.

I can't make a Catian, Joined Trill, Klingon, Lib Borg. I didn't buy the species.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    In fact there is, though you will have to do some of it manually. What you do is create your costume with the uniform the way you want it. Then click the button that says "duplicate costume" above the list of your custom costumes. This will give you an exact duplicate of your costume. Select the new one, and below the main 3D display in the middle of the screen, you'll see three buttons that say "Head" "Upper Body" and "Lower Body." These buttons will randomize those portions of the costume when clicked.

I would recommend sticking to the head randomizer, as the others will change your uniform. You can adjust the height and body attributes of the new costume manually.

However, if you want to change species, you'll have to build the uniform again from scratch.

Ah... That sort of works. Well good enough for jazz anyway. Will need to do several 'common' species I think (Andorians, Vulcans, Humans, etc) and mix it up a bit. Thanks for that!

Tim
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Okay, I got a dev response on this during the Tribble testing.

As of some patches last December prepping for F2P we lost the ability to make foundry costume races of anything not available for normal character creation on an account. IE: Only if you owned Caitian Captain race options would you be able to make a Caitian, Only Lifetime Subs could make Liberated Borg.

I got a response back from Zero saying that it was unintended. All that nice political stuff in the wording so don't know when we can get it fixed, but, this was a bug that still needs resolving.

I'll see if I can find the exact post to link to this.

Short Version: It's a bug, they know about it, no ETA atm.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Okay, I got a dev response on this during the Tribble testing.

As of some patches last December prepping for F2P we lost the ability to make foundry costume races of anything not available for normal character creation on an account. IE: Only if you owned Caitian Captain race options would you be able to make a Caitian, Only Lifetime Subs could make Liberated Borg.

I got a response back from Zero saying that it was unintended. All that nice political stuff in the wording so don't know when we can get it fixed, but, this was a bug that still needs resolving.

I'll see if I can find the exact post to link to this.

Short Version: It's a bug, they know about it, no ETA atm.

OK, cool. Maybe it'll be fixed in 5 months.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chicochavezchicochavez Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Any chance they'll refund me the zen I spent to get the Caitian playable character so I could have Caitians in my missions? I did make one just to try it but until we can respec our races with old characters not going to use him.
    Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Any chance they'll refund me the zen I spent to get the Caitian playable character so I could have Caitians in my missions? I did make one just to try it but until we can respec our races with old characters not going to use him.

Just to confirm: You bought the Caitian and now it is available in the costume editor?

There are a few Catian fed officers. You can't customize them, but they are in there under Cryptic costumes.

Probably no chance of a refund.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]