test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Idea For A New Start Of Sto

starfleetdanstarfleetdan Member Posts: 47 Arc User
I have an idea to propose about a new STO start! Why not start STO with the CADET rank?
1) The CADET rank could be offer 4 levels of basic tutorials (weapons learning with holo characters, movements...etc) in the academy Holodeck (without forget 4 pips and uniform emblems in the character custom engine)...

2) The ENSIGN rank (on 10 levels) would be based on the exploration of sectors, the crafting system (for a advanced tutorial)...etc!
Post edited by starfleetdan on

Comments

• leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have an idea to propose about a new STO start! Why not start STO with the CADET rank?
    1) The CADET rank could be offer 4 levels of basic tutorials (weapons learning with holo characters, movements...etc) in the academy Holodeck (without forget 4 pips and uniform emblems in the character custom engine)...

2) The ENSIGN rank (on 10 levels) would be based on the exploration of sectors, the crafting system (for a advanced tutorial)...etc!

Not sure if I agree with this but I would like to see rank and level stripped apart.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I always figured you'd have to go through the academy, I mean I am playing elite and I am still learning everyday, don't feel I got much of an education playing to level 50

Especially since you can't just respawn no matter how many times you blow up you will get the win eventually

/edit

can respawn * of course
  • sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would as well. I wish they'd never raised us beyond RA5, it really was a perfect end-game rank. One of the few things Cryptic did right out of the gate.

Higher than Captain so you feel you accomplished something but low enough to have it believable that there's lots of them.

Not so much with the Vice Admiral and Admiral and Fleet Admiral and such...
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I support rank suggestions that help justify a reduction in the number of admirals in-game. Your idea effectively bumps everyone down a grade. That being said, here are some things to consider:

1. What would you do with the Starfleet Adacemy uniforms on the C-store?
    2. How will you counteract the canon police who will cry foul once people start graduating from the academy on a daily basis? (and potentially in the wrong uniforms no less)
    3. How will you justify a cadet running a starship on explore missions manned by Starfleet officers?
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Even though those 10 levels would go fairly quickly. What about people who don't like crafting or the exploration systems?

You're going to force people to do content they'd rather not. All because some people have issues with the current Vice Admiral rank.

I hardly think that's a good solution to what is a fairly minor problem.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The Enterprise launched with a crew of mostly cadets once. They ended up fighting a mad man that nearly destroyed the ship. Yes Kirk assuumed command but, the ship was meant to do random patrols with Saavik at command. Admiral Kirk was just the evaluator. The Enterprise at the time was technically commanded by Captain Spock.

Instead of the exploration and crafting, the patrols of Sirius and Regulus would be ideal for cadet training cruises.
  • roguestarshiproguestarship Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Maybe They could have Cadets as a Seperate faction.

(Is different rank & level path!)

Based surely on the academy. With all tests that a Youth of Starfleet officer would have
    with Cadet Shuttle Assignments & a Cadet ship.
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would as well. I wish they'd never raised us beyond RA5, it really was a perfect end-game rank. One of the few things Cryptic did right out of the gate.

Higher than Captain so you feel you accomplished something but low enough to have it believable that there's lots of them.

Not so much with the Vice Admiral and Admiral and Fleet Admiral and such...

They could put in 'Commodore' somewhere between Captain and Rear Admiral :P
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They could put in 'Commodore' somewhere between Captain and Rear Admiral :P

Since Starfleet has no such rank since the previous century, how would you justify its return?
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    syberghost wrote: »
    Since Starfleet has no such rank since the previous century, how would you justify its return?

The same way they justified and explained the Commadore rank's removal in the 24th century. :eek:;):D
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited August 2012
    The same way they justified and explained the Commadore rank's removal in the 24th century. :eek:;):D

They justified its removal on the basis that the US Navy had removed it, and that was the model they followed. For that same justification to work for reinstating it, the US Navy would have to reinstate it. :)
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited August 2012

The US Navy has a standing history of discontinuing and reinstating the Commodore rank until finally renaming the rank to Rear Admial Lower Half. The rank was generally discontinued in periods in which the nation was not at war. The rank was discontinued in 1899 but, was reinstated during World War II. Now that the Federation is in a state of war, the Council does have the right to reinstate the rank if they see fit.

Note: The Title of Commodore is still used in the US Navy for Captains the command multiple ships such as a group of destroyers or submarines.
  • sl1ckm1stersl1ckm1ster Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012

They have already stated that the majority of players are max level, so their development efforts are going to be focused on max level content. It makes no sense remaking the early levels of the game if it does nothing for the majority of your players.
  • cptvanorcptvanor Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited August 2012

To be fair, it wouldn't be the first time that a military organization has brought back older ranks and started using them again.

In the US Army for example, there was a time in which a Corporal was almost unheard of, everyone went from Private First Class (E3) to Spec 4 (E4) to Sgt (E5).

Seeing how the Federation is at war now, they might find that they have need of such a thing again.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They justified its removal on the basis that the US Navy had removed it, and that was the model they followed. For that same justification to work for reinstating it, the US Navy would have to reinstate it. :)

Considering the two are litereally centuries apart this is not really logical if we look at the matter from an in-universe standpoint.
    And there's that minor detail that the Federation is made up of over 150 planets.
    Why should the Federation have to model its military based on that of one particular nation of one particular planet in one particular era?:confused:
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Considering the two are litereally centuries apart this is not really logical if we look at the matter from an in-universe standpoint.
    And there's that minor detail that the Federation is made up of over 150 planets.
    Why should the Federation have to model its military based on that of one particular nation of one particular planet in one particular era?:confused:

Because the Federation is Human-centric, as Earth seems to be the primary governmental body.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    edited August 2012
    misterde3 wrote: »

Because things would be very confusing if they modeled it after two or more of them. :)
    edited August 2012
    Because the Federation is Human-centric, as Earth seems to be the primary governmental body.

Don't you mean anglocentric considering there are navies out there who still have the rank of commodore but only the US Navy is worth modeling Starfleet after?
    edited August 2012
    Because things would be very confusing if they modeled it after two or more of them. :)

One of the things Majel Barrett-Roddenberry once said was that her husband went to seek intelligent life out there and he found it: the audience.
    So why should creativity be discouraged like that?
    It's no less confusing than changing the absurd rule that everyone needs to have a captain's rank to command a starship to everyone who commands a starship is called captain regardless of rank.
    *EDIT addendum: that seemed to be in effect in TOS and Star Trek 1*
  • theindefatigabletheindefatigable Member Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I certainly prefer "Commodore" to "Rear Admiral, Lower Half." :D It would be nice to see such a rank return, one way or another. As others have said, the term "commodore" is at least still used in the U.S. Navy for captains that direct more than one ship, IIRC, so there's that. In addition to Corporal, wasn't the term "Grenadier" basically extinct at one time or other within the U.S. (and/or other) military? Now instead of big guys throwing little bombs we have soldiers carrying rifles equipped with M203's or other such launchers or M32 MGL's or even M79 Thumpers...21st-century grenadiers. Lots of reasons a rank could make a comeback, but an interesting question nonetheless.

Ah, I'm rambling again. Time for bed. :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Former/Cryptic Name: Captain_Hans_Langsdorff
    Founding member, Special Service Squadron
    "Fear God and Dread Nought." First Sea Lord, Adm. Jacky Fisher
  • cptmcauleycptmcauley Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Interesting... it could look something like:

Lieutenant
    Lieutenant Commander
    Commander
    Captain
    Commadore
    Rear Admiral
    Vice Admiral

:)
    [=/\= ================= =/\=]
    Tom McAuley
    U.S.S. Ares - Beta Squad - Section 31
    12th Fleet

[=/\= ================= =/\=]
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Not sure if I agree with this but I would like to see rank and level stripped apart.

Same here, at least to a certain point. I'm an avid fan of the idea that the ingame ranks should be limited to those who you'd actually find commonly being in command of a starship. Lieutenant throughout the tutorial, Lt. Cmdr. when you get command of your first ship afterwards, followed by Commander at 20 and Captain at 40.

I'd love to see a system where the ranks of RA and VA would be tied to certain hard-to-reach achievements after reaching Level 50. The accolade system could be tied into that.
  • brokenmirror2012brokenmirror2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

This is what should happen:
    Level 1-2 Cadet
    3-10 Ensign
    11-20 Lt.
    21-30 Ltc
    31-40 Cdr
    41-50 Captain
    There you get your cadet! And we get our canon level setup.

EDIT: O_o i forgot LT rank LOL

Now i like Accoldes to achive Centain ranks
    How about titles/ranks to your accolade points
    5k Accolade points while ur at captain rank makes u a "Decorated Captain" with a costume unlock with metals
    10k Accolade points makes you a Starfleet Veteran With a costume similar to the first Veteran unlock.
    But i also want these to be account wide. It sucks to grind out something on every character.
    "yes no Admirals" If there are a few admrials players will start to complain. Decorated captain will give u a slightly diferent Rank Pins and a Metal next to your name. (Account wide)

Also the ability to show off our titles in space would be nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Level 1-10 Cadet
    11-20 Ensign
    21-30 Ltc
    31-40 Cdr
    41-50 Captain

5k Accolade points while ur at captain rank makes u a "Decorated Captain" with a costume unlock with metals
    10k Accolade points makes you a Starfleet Veteran With a costume similar to the first Veteran unlock.
    But i also want these to be account wide. It sucks to grind out something on every character.
    "yes no Admirals" If there are a few admrials players will start to complain. Decorated captain will give u a slightly diferent Rank Pins and a Metal next to your name. (Account wide)

I like this. The idea that 90% of the ships out there are commanded by admirals always rubbed me a bit wrong. I wouldn't even mind stretching lt cmdr and cmdr to cover up to say level 46.

I wouldn't mind an admiral rank, but it should be something that is extremely difficult to make. Say be a fleet leader and have a minimum veteran level, have been logged in a minimum number of hours and played a minimum number of missions (to avoid 1 man fleets with anti-afk keyboard scripts). Make the last two something ridiculous so only the most die hard STO lovers can ever hope to make the grade. 10000 hours played and 5000 missions completed or something. And give it just a little buff, so the rest of us won't be heart broken and walk away sulking when we realize we will never make it. But it would be cool to have some people we can all oooh and ahhh about when we see them. Shoot, just make game masters admirals and have them actually in the game at times.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    While I realize that all past premises are subject to change, the Devs did tell us that Commodore would come to the game via the fleet system. I'm assuming they meant the title would be tied to the Starbases that we are currently working toward. Since we still have surprises coming with the later tiers, this may well be one of them.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • nalonalo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Level 1-10 Cadet
    11-20 Ensign
    21-30 Ltc
    31-40 Cdr
    41-50 Captain

Not willig to loose Lieutenant for ten levels of cadet sorry.
    I would offer Cadet 1-3 Ensign 4-10 and Lieutenant 10-20 LtC 21-30 and so on
  • eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Sorry but STO 2 needs to be made by a different company. They need to include bridge travel and combat. There should be multi-player bridge control. And yes, the ranks should end at Captain. I wouldn't mind seeing different types of game play as you rank up as well.

And ships in STO 2 need to make sense based on their warp core - not just 3 types using a mix of tank, damage, healer, controller. Basically all the things Cryptic refused to do.
  • starcommando101starcommando101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Level 1-10 Cadet
    11-20 Ensign
    21-30 Ltc
    31-40 Cdr
    41-50 Captain

Well to add to this, made Cadet a title you are while you are on Earth doing the tutorial. Let them have classes, a bunch, so when they leave they have some kind of knowledge. Have a scoring board so people actually have a goal. Once you actually Finish ALL courses, you get the rank of Ensign. (When you graduate you get a shuttle lmao! Need more shuttle missions, "This is Starfleet, we are low on ships so umm Here is a Shuttle, Live as long as you can and try your best to prosper in some way.")

The idea of being a decorated captain is great, being able to put badges on your suit is a cool idea for something extremely important, or taking part in a Community Event that has an actual story behind it.
    For instance, in 3 days those filthy Klingons are staging an assault on Starfleet planets (12 hour time frame) get in and help defend it! They obtained the information from an Omega Operative who found it out from espionage. (Wish Espionage had a more major part, a spy division... dreaming out loud).

As far as account wide? no. Those other Characters where not Heroes on the U.S.S. Giggity. They were not in use so why make it account wide?
    The Average PvP player
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1) Teamwork and timing is #1
    2) You cannot "Kirk It" in every ship
    3) You are going to die, just get back up
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    this like asking for a T5 constitution thread they never will die wish i could find the report where Cryptic said they are not going to go back and changes the ranks ranks in a game are pixy dust nothen more then that

think the game needs way more story content before we nitpick little things like what my pixie rank says

ps best to hope for is a title
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • brokenmirror2012brokenmirror2012 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Sorry i forgot LT rank. so i fixed the Ranking in my post xD

I posted that at like 5am
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]