test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Active Subscribers

dakilla3000dakilla3000 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
Just out of curiosity, how many active subscribers or users do we have currently? I can't remember when this figure was last released.
Post edited by dakilla3000 on

Comments

• leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Just out of curiosity, how many active subscribers or users do we have currently? I can't remember when this figure was last released.

They have never released the number.

They had "over a million Cryptic accounts" (which included Champs and free forum accounts) at launch.

My napkin math from lockboxes says... Maybe around 300k active around content releases.
  • stof4nb0ystof4nb0y Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My napkin math from lockboxes says... Maybe around 300k active around content releases.

How do lockboxes effect subscriber numbers? The majority are probably purchased by "free" players.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They announced we had "over 100k at launch". So given it still gets that intense every time we have a major content release, its likely we still have a population above that. My personal guess would be 150-250k users, but perhaps lower than 30k subscribers.

(Whatever the number only ~10% are reportedly paying to keep the game online - which is interesting itself imo).
  • stof4nb0ystof4nb0y Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    They announced we had "over 100k at launch". I agree with Leviathan's estimate though (during content releases).

What do content releases have to do with subscriptions? The game is free to play. You dont have to subscribe to play the content.
    edited August 2012
    Pardon me, I've amended my reply to clarify "active subscribers or users" as the op stated.

I can only anecdotally add that I consistently witness a close relationship between content releases and subscriptions, as I know of many people who resubscribe for a month to test out the waters once more.
  • arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You know even if there was new content that everyone wanted to play, it's rare to see more than 50 instances of anything. Sure players are spread over a few different events, but I'd be surprised if there was ever a 5 digit number of players acitvely playing at the same time.
    edited August 2012
    That would be surprising for a game with under 300k players. EVE has 250 or is it now 350, and their average population is about 20-40k online all the time (although it does peak higher under certain conditions).
    edited August 2012
    stof4nb0y wrote: »
    How do lockboxes effect subscriber numbers? The majority are probably purchased by "free" players.

You take the frequency of lockbox announcements.

You assume that for every one, there are 200 non-winning sales.

You have to guess the average number a player buys.

Run that through the purchasing stats they gave us about winter giftboxes to estimate number of non-buyers who still spend money.

And then take Dan Stahl's "90% of players spend nothing" comment.

That gives you an estimate for the playerbase. Fraught with perils. Most of the guesses will result in you underestimating the population. You can play with numbers.

300k seems conservatively reasonable to me.
    edited August 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    They announced we had "over 100k at launch". So given it still gets that intense every time we have a major content release, its likely we still have a population above that. My personal guess would be 150-250k users, but perhaps lower than 30k subscribers.

(Whatever the number only ~10% are reportedly paying to keep the game online - which is interesting itself imo).

That also gives you a set of guesses since the expenses of the game can be estimated.

Bare bones I think you need around $5 million.

That works out to $1.40 a month per player at 300k players. Of course, if only 10% spend, that's $14 a month to break even. The more people spend even a little, the more the number goes down. Stipend spending doesn't count for these purposes.

If anything, I'd guess that all means the number is probably over 300k. And it's not likely dramatically below if that's break even cost because my budget accounted for the 20 extra staffers. If they're expanding, it means people are spending more than $14 a month, more than 10% are spending, or the number is over 300k.
    edited August 2012
    I'll add, the last set of guesses line up pretty well in the ballpark of PWE's announced expected revenues from STO Season 6. The number changes now that S7 is delayed but all that says is that content delays will force them to monetize harder.