test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Making older brands more competive with new ships.

alexindcobraalexindcobra Member Posts: 608
edited August 2012 in Federation Discussion
I have been testing battle with a friend who has his Orb Weaver ship set up as a leach ship. He is an ENG Capt using BTW, BTE, BTA, Tachyon Beam, Tractor Beam, and Energy Siphon III. He is armed with tetryon dual cannons and turrets. I am a Tac Capt flying a Galaxy X. I tried Tac Team, Repulsor tractor beam 1, RCP1, Hazard Emitters, Eng Team, EPS 2 & 3, EPE 1, RSP 3, and APH 1. I was armed with 2 dual heavy phaser cannon, 2 phaser canon in front, 3 Phaser beams, and 1 phaser turret in rear. All my weapons are very rare level 12 minus the Harh'peng torpedo. I tried this but was not affective since he held me in place so i coundn't turn my deadliest weapons toward him. I coudn't push him far enough because he drained my auxilary power making that ability inoperable. I can't have Sciance team 2 and Repulsor 1 at same time, so I had to switch science Boffs to use science team 2 to negate the enegy siphon 3. I could not get his shields to drop more than 1 second because he has so much healing power as an Eng Capt. I had to change weapons set up to try to damage him through his shields. Next set up: 1 Dual heavy phaser cannon, 2 phaser cannons, 1 phaser beam in front; and 1 phaser beam, 1 plasma torpedo, 1 tricobalt device(to help break his tractor hold on me), and 1 harh'peng topedo. I had picked this set up so i can get damage beyone his shields. The problem is that these torpedos' cool down time is so slow that he is back to 100% hull strength by the time they are ready to fire again. Alos I noticed that the Tachyon beam would not cancel out afte I used EPS 2, 3, or Science Team. They use to work against this ability before the last couple patches. Now I can't stop it. With no shields, I can't heal my hull fast enough to survive. Its total bullcrap that they made this ability unstoppable. Maybe some science captain can do better but it don't make sense to keep respec you character just to fight one type of player. They need to bring back EPS and Science team's ability to stop Tachyon beam.

He has mention the has a universal BOFF slot that he can switch different types of BOFFs between battles. My boff slots are stuck the way they are just like any other ship brought out around the same time as Galaxy -X. Almost all the new ship come with these universal slots. The Devs need to come up with a competitive BOFF slot pakage for older ships so people can keep their favorite ships in the fight with new ships.
Post edited by alexindcobra on

Comments

• elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Just a friendly tip, walls of unbroken text is not fun to try and read :)

What i think you are driving at is..
    You want older ships to have more universal slots to keep up with new ships?

My response is,

A. You were fighting a lockbox ship, these are slightly stronger than your average c-store ship
    B. You were fighting someone who knows what he/she is doing, an engineer in a science ship normally means, they are going to be hefty tankers,
    C. You were fighting a strategy based ship build, who knows how to work the weaknesses of your ship, the Gal X has a horrid turn rate, and keeping you held in place where your cannons cant line up with his/her ship (especially a science ship) would be easy.
    D.The layout of boff powers/seats on a ship are set in certain ways to create a type of balance, changing these on a whim because some people are not fond of the layout, would upset the balance completely.
    E. Some powers you used, e.g. tractor repulsors are not exactly pvp suggested

Unfortunately in my experience I've never been good with cruisers/cruisers type ships, so i can't really offer any advice, Nor do i play much as a tactical captain too,..

But certain skills are an essential for a captain in space, e.g. power insulators (makes a drain ship a bit less effective)
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • zordar01zordar01 Member Posts: 318
    edited August 2012
    Buy the Subspace Jump console off of the Exchange. When he tractors you, teleport behind him and blast away. Target subsystem is counterable by batteries. Grab dual system batteries and put in a couple power insulator consoles. Don't bother with repulsors - you're using cannons and their damage starts dropping off beyond 3km. You want to be in close. Maybe use tractor beam to hold him in your cannon arcs. Also, run with weapons power set to max.

Hope that helps some.
    Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    zordar01 wrote: »
    you're using cannons and their damage starts dropping off beyond 3km. You want to be in close.

I thought the cannon dropoff started at 6km?
    edited August 2012
    I thought the cannon dropoff started at 6km?

I thought 3km. Can anyone else confirm?
  • alexindcobraalexindcobra Member Posts: 608
    edited August 2012
    Just a friendly tip, walls of unbroken text is not fun to try and read :)

What i think you are driving at is..
    You want older ships to have more universal slots to keep up with new ships?

My response is,

A. You were fighting a lockbox ship, these are slightly stronger than your average c-store ship
    B. You were fighting someone who knows what he/she is doing, an engineer in a science ship normally means, they are going to be hefty tankers,
    C. You were fighting a strategy based ship build, who knows how to work the weaknesses of your ship, the Gal X has a horrid turn rate, and keeping you held in place where your cannons cant line up with his/her ship (especially a science ship) would be easy.
    D.The layout of boff powers/seats on a ship are set in certain ways to create a type of balance, changing these on a whim because some people are not fond of the layout, would upset the balance completely.
    E. Some powers you used, e.g. tractor repulsors are not exactly pvp suggested

Unfortunately in my experience I've never been good with cruisers/cruisers type ships, so i can't really offer any advice, Nor do i play much as a tactical captain too,..

But certain skills are an essential for a captain in space, e.g. power insulators (makes a drain ship a bit less effective)

So what, it is a lockbox ship? Other new C-store ships come with universal slots. Just because a ship is from a lockbox don't mean they have to be superior. That is one point I'm trying to make. The other point is that they disabled the abilities to negate Tachyon beam, that is needs to be undone.
  • fanboy3kfanboy3k Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Your build is horrible and you were out matched. it happens. L2P and the rest will sort itself out.
  • aspheasphe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    zordar01 wrote: »
    I thought 3km. Can anyone else confirm?

It's 2km. 1km for beams but beams only lose damage/range at half the rate of cannons (beams do 2/3 of normal damage at 10km vs cannons doing 1/3)

You might be thinking of 3km because if most things are equal, beams will out-damage cannons at ranges exceeding 3km while doing less within 3km.
  • alexindcobraalexindcobra Member Posts: 608
    edited August 2012
    fanboy3k wrote: »
    Your build is horrible and you were out matched. it happens. L2P and the rest will sort itself out.

You didn't tell me anything new. Why waste your typing?
  • sevoksevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Because you're refusing to accept that you were outmatched... :D
    edited August 2012

Because their e-peen's are small, that's why. :rolleyes:

Don't sweat it. Just play to your ship/class strengths. Get in close, tractor and kill. Don't forget you can cloak in the Galaxy X and that you get a damage bonus when you come out of cloak. Check out this link for some interesting ideas on building a lethal Galaxy X.

Good hunting.