What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Official Starfleet Uniform

2»

Comments

• rickeyredshirtrickeyredshirt Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    shaunkl wrote: »
    I'll update this post tomorrow with some screenshots of what I consider to be "2409 Starfleet-standard".

What happened? :)

Here is the version of Sierra 1 that I am using for now:

Command/Tactical
    Engineering/Operations/Security
    Science/Medical

I like the division colors on the gut region, it reminds me of the TNG uniforms, the show I grew up watching. This is why I continued with the split bottom pants as well. With the division color on the shoulders, I found the rank too hard to read especially for Engineering/Operations/Security. I stuck with the plain Combadge as well, it matches the Combadge for the M.A.C.O. suit.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I never really like the three colors as a general unifier, so I have variations for each BOFF depending on their dept and role.
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Personally I like to think of the Alternate Future uniform as the "official" uniform. Also to the person asking about why green is even included? Probably a throwback to TOS where the captains and flag officers wore green dress uniforms instead of their normal duty colors like everybody else.
  • terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I like the division colors on the gut region, it reminds me of the TNG uniforms, the show I grew up watching. This is why I continued with the split bottom pants as well. With the division color on the shoulders, I found the rank too hard to read especially for Engineering/Operations/Security. I stuck with the plain Combadge as well, it matches the Combadge for the M.A.C.O. suit.

That's about what I use for my senior officers' uniform actually, the only differences are the shoulders (white on a dark division-colored background) and the combadge (alternate future). For my lower-ranked officers I use Sierra 3.
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • xandercorvusxandercorvus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    dwapook wrote: »
    I'm going with the no official uniform lore.. I assume that somewhere along the way the federation came to the decision that allowing outward appearance of individuality to shine would be of benefit to them.. That it would psychologically motivate someone to dwelve deeper into their core existence and extrapolate on their strengths..

Perhaps a strongly imposed mentality by one of the more recently joined federation member races.

ORRRRRRRRRR . . . maybe this newfound branch of individuality being allowed to blossom was just another way to set themselves apart from the Borg in these Borg-centric times?
    "Join Date: Jun 2012" Says Cryptic's "new" forum system. I've been here since a week before launch, but SOME stuff just didn't carry over through multiple system changes/updates. :rolleyes:
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What happened? :)

Here is the version of Sierra 1 that I am using for now:

Command/Tactical
    Engineering/Operations/Security
    Science/Medical

I'm using the same uniform and color pattern on most of my Characters and their BO's.
    I never liked the Voy/DS9/TNG Movie uniform color sceme very much, just too dark and dull.
    Since this game is set in the future, i found it logical to use either the Antares or Sierra or Jupiter uniforms.
    I am really glad that there is the option to make these uniforms appear matte, i never liked that plastic look they have.

Sometimes i use the Academy uniforms, they look really nice IMO. But they look not handy or practical enough for a everydays use IMO. (I especially dislike that stripe that reflects the light different than the rest of the uniform, it looks just stupid.)

Personally i think the Academy Uniform should be the standart uniform in the game. They should have just removed that stripe and made it a bit shorter, so a Belt doesn't look weired on it.
    (Its like most of Cryptics "better" designs, there are always some little details, that makes it look bad.)

EDIT:
    I am thinking about getting the "Racing uniform", and give it the TNG color sceme.
    (Upper part Racing uniform, lower Body Academy trousers with division stripe)
    Unlike the Academy uniform it looks very practical but still good and like a believeable (futur) Trek Uniform.

Live long and prosper.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • therogueknighttherogueknight Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My opinion on this is not a popular one. But here goes.

In the early days of the game the dev's stated that they had a preference toward the TOS episodes. TOS uniforms followed a general standardization but allowed their individual starbases, ships, etc. to use their own insignia and presumable their own uniform standard as well. Combine that with the clear "captains discretion" shown on some episodes of TNG, DS9, VOY, Generations, especially when visiting a different command like when Sisko goes to SFA.

Take that along with the uniform transition per the Path to 2409, I don't think it's unheard of that Starfleet would move away from the military-esque standardized uniforms to a more relaxed, non-military, uniform policy as long as it conformed with some sort of general guidelines that Starfleet imposes.

So in other words, individual captains and commands can have their own uniform code.

Agreed. Star Trek has always tried to convey that Starfleet is not a militaristic organization, but a diplomatic one. So having their uniforms continue to be inspired by real life militaries seems to fly in the face of that.
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Agreed. Star Trek has always tried to convey that Starfleet is not a militaristic organization, but a diplomatic one. So having their uniforms continue to be inspired by real life militaries seems to fly in the face of that.

Non military, well yes. But it still is strict with a chain of command and organized in a military fashion. I don't mind all the customizing cuz its fun and The movie generations had 2 kinds of uniforms at the same time. I am mostly ok with the in game uniforms I cant see leather uniforms being realistic though. Enterprise shows that uniform evolved from jump suit coveralls. I think that makes sense.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • shaunklshaunkl Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sorry I've been away so long. I won't let you down again.
    I had completely forgotten that I was going to put up those pictures, almost a year ago.
    Here's what I have: 55025057.jpg

The way I see it is similar to the coexistence of the TNG and DS9 uniforms. Jupiter Veteran is what's worn within Federation space and on flagships. Odyssey Basic is for field operations on the frontier or on dedicated exploration vessels.

The Jupiter Veteran is based on what the crew of the Enterprise-F wears and the Odyssey Basic is based on what "Vulcan Phaser Lady" wears in the new LoR+ promotional art.
    Number one on my wishlist: New FED transporter effect
    Number two: 22nd Century Excursion Jackets
    Number three: Handheld communicator animation for non-combadge uniforms
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I use the Sierra 1 uniform for me and my Boffs, the neck and shoulder parts are black whilst the rest is the relevant department colour, with WOK belt and diplomatic trousers and WOK combadge. The NPCs that walk my ship obviously wear the antares 2 uniform, which on my ship is the enlisted uniform, the officers wear my creation.

Essentially I've got a TNG influenced WOK system in place.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      shaunkl wrote: »
      Sorry I've been away so long. I won't let you down again.
      I had completely forgotten that I was going to put up those pictures, almost a year ago.
      Here's what I have: 55025057.jpg
      The way I see it is similar to the coexistence of the TNG and DS9 uniforms. Jupiter Veteran is what's worn within Federation space and on flagships. Odyssey Basic is for field operations on the frontier or on dedicated exploration vessels.
      The Jupiter Veteran is based on what the crew of the Enterprise-F wears and the Odyssey Basic is based on what "Vulcan Phaser Lady" wears in the new LoR+ promotional art.

That is very nice indeed!
      My captain and officers all have the TNG Movie uniform, which is my favorite free uniform. I did tweak the colors a bit, but, they are mostly pretty close to canon. On my crew, (as soon as we return to spacedock after a fairly long cruise) the engineers will be allowed something that looks more like working outfits.
      His methods have become unsound.
    • javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      Non military, well yes. But it still is strict with a chain of command and organized in a military fashion. I don't mind all the customizing cuz its fun and The movie generations had 2 kinds of uniforms at the same time. I am mostly ok with the in game uniforms I cant see leather uniforms being realistic though. Enterprise shows that uniform evolved from jump suit coveralls. I think that makes sense.

TROK uniforms are really sharp, if a bit militaristic. They'd look better as Class-A than everyday uniforms, perhaps. After the Funky Technicolor TOS, the Enterprise jumpers are my favorite uniforms from all the Treks. Astronauts wear jump suits with patches and lots of pockets, so that design makes you say "oh, I get it, these people are astronauts"; instead of "Must be some sort of Space Navy" or "People From the Future Wearing Spandex".
      His methods have become unsound.
    • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
      edited June 2013
      When I was in the navy we had 2 different duty uniforms which recently got upgraded to 3. There was a dress white uniform and a dress blue uniform...for formal occasions....a working blue and working white uniform for office work.
      Utilities and coveralls for shipboard...and it would be up to the Captain to determine what uniform the crew wore out to sea....which would be different from ship to ship.
      Your pain runs deep.
      Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.