test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STF MK XII set gear pieces

abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
I think it would be a good idea to allow the purchase of the set pieces for the MK XII STF gear for 40 of the Prototype Borg Salvage in addition to having completed the optional for the instance that has the piece that someone is trying to purchase.

Similar to how people get the MK XI veteran set with EDCs, this would allow people to finally get that missing part of the set they need, while maintaining a fair amount of difficulty in obtaining a particular piece.

With the added requirement of needing the optional from the appropriate instance, it would force people to do the instance, instead of being able to pick and choose the instances they want.

For instance, someone wanting the Prototype Borg PSG Tech, would actually have to go and complete Infected Ground on elite, and complete the optional and complete the instance. Optional completion for STFs is recorded in the accolades, so I don't see how this could be an issue. Also, making the optional a requirement will make people work for it (at least a little) if they really want that set piece.

Using this method would resolve some of the blind stupid luck factor from the STF set hunt that makes it so frustrating. People can still rely on the luck of the drop, but at least this way, they can earn it too.

Some people might argue that 40 Prototype Borg Salvage is too much. I think it is a fair and reasonable amount given that it can drop from any of the elite STFs. It might be very rare, but at the same time people, over time, will get many of these if they run stfs back to back, day after day.

___
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    this was brought up, many many times before...and ignored ofcourse by the devs...since they like how the aquisition of MKXII set gear in stf's functions. The general idea is to make it rare, and only those with a strong commitment and freetime have it.
    To actually do stf's you really only need MKX gear, which is obtained with 60 edc.

myself i can only welcome your idea, but it will never happen. Sorry for both of us.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    alastairnallalastairnall Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I think 40 proto salvage would be FAR too much. Maybe 80 EDC's, which would follow the existing pattern. 20 for mk X, 40 for mk XI. Considering it seems the drop rate on proto salvage is typically the same as the drop rate on the proto tech. More often than not, when I get a piece of proto salvage I also get whatever proto tech the stf drops (at least in regards to space).

As to requiring the optional objectives to be able to purchase the gear, that also seems excessive. The optionals themselves are often more hassle than they're worth (oh boy an extra roll on the 'everybody needs on everything' table).
  • Options
    anelkanelk Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    80 EDC for a MK XII piece?

Yah. I could go with that.

Optionals a requirement?

Noway. Some of us have to rely on PuGs (Timezone and RL preventing non-stop farm/grind with skilled people online at same time) and the simple truth is that PuG's nearly ever complete the optionals even on Normal mode, not to mention the Elite.
    The Elites are just to damn hard to work that well with people you have no idea how to work with, some don't even speak same language, others run Elite with poof-gear and I even seen federation one-week-wonders (speedlevelers) have half a dozen injuries after the first few fights in a ground Elite. When asked to fix the injuries so the don't get lol-killed by nearest Borg Drone farting in his general direction, they go "I aint got no regen/repair components" - or in some cases I even seen "How do I fix that?" ...

:cool:
  • Options
    unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    anelk2 wrote: »
    the simple truth is that PuG's nearly ever complete the optionals even on Normal mode, not to mention the Elite.

Not true. I've been running 3-5 STF missions (normal, mostly space) daily, PuG only, for the past few weeks and have gotten the optional at least 60% of the time. I've probably just been lucky, but a lot of PuG players either know what to do or normal is forgiving enough to allow the occasional slip-up.

The only time I've had trouble completing a space optional is when everyone else seems to have their Team chat turned off, or simply refusing to communicate (not even a "hello").

In practice I find the best thing to do once entering a PuG is to say hi, and immediately ask if anyone in the group is new. If there is, take the lead and brief them. The more people learn the 10% rule on ISN, the 4/1 split on KASN, or the Kang defense arrangements, the more STFs will get completed successfully, and everyone wins.

Ground PuGs are a different story. I've never managed to complete the optional on Infected Ground Normal, and most of the time my PuGs get stuck trying to kill Becky, wiping twice or thrice before hitting a lucky Orbital Strike. I've had better success on KAG and Cure, but not by much.
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ISSUE a set at level up to do the missions

And then everyone will be happy
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    kylesal24kylesal24 Member Posts: 312
    edited August 2012
    anelk2, been having the same problem lately. Had to give up STFs because of it. You want to team up sometime? Just to be clear, I am not one of the noobs who runs these. I have a full set up DPS carrier, I just need the assm. console. (Cant get that because of Of Bajor.)
    Kyle
    Delta Fleet Command
  • Options
    majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I've given up on worrying about getting the MK XIII ground gear, I'll settle for MK XI instead. Still I think 80 EDC is fairer than 80 Prototype Borg Salvage, that is like unless you live and breath STF's and grinding for one set that in a year or so will probably be outdated when they bring in a new higher level.

We all know it's going to happen, the question is when and are they going to shoot us paying c-store customers in the foot again. :rolleyes:
    kylesal24 wrote: »
    I have a full set up DPS carrier, I just need the assm. console. (Cant get that because of Of Bajor.)
    Kyle

You know you can skip missions right?
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • Options
    captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    baudl wrote: »
    this was brought up, many many times before...and ignored ofcourse by the devs...

It was ignored by Gozer and is overdeveloped sense of ego and arrogance. He was big on the "hey look at me I'm more special than you" concept of the gear and that's why they are such rare "random" drops.

Your idea is great, requires completing each STF optional along with running them a certain amount of time. Any player who meets that mark should be considered "worthy" of the reward and accolade for getting the set.

It's not so much that the gear is required, it's more symbolic (for me anyway) as a sign of accomplishment. Sure you can play the game just fine without it, but it would nice to have the means of acquiring the reward if a reasonable amount of effort is applied.
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • Options
    lostmoonylostmoony Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    it was planed with season 6 to bring a new top end set names "prestige" and to give the players the option to buy the new "nuub"set maro/khg MKXII with edc.

that was the ONLY think on the season 6 realease +some new missions what have interessted me and nothing from that what cryptic have say was released.

i have flame on the first day that we get NOTHING new .

still a 2 year old set is all what exist ,

if anyone say we get new missions"fleet".

the fleet mission are not missios for me
    i see this like a joke, press spacebar wait 10 min warp out with some marks is not a mission for me.::rolleyes:
  • Options
    cavaduscavadus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They're really not that hard to get. Within three weeks of running STFs I had both MKII sets. Another fleet member got his first MKII set in just five STFs.

Just keep at it, it's all RNG; it'll happen eventually.

And there's no reason anyone needs to rely on PuGs. There are two or three STF channels out there full of helpful and skilled players. I had my MKII set before joining EliteSTF but I was chasing the optionals (particularly CSE and IGE) and got both of the optionals I needed on the very first runs I did.
  • Options
    kattarnkattarn Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Took me a while to get my full sets with all my toons, and since the drop rates are so high this days i dont see any reason to make them tradable for chips, 4 new fleetmates got their full sets in less of a week doing STF for 4 hours at day.

I wish drop rates were so nice when i was farming them.
  • Options
    abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have successfully done the optionals in pugs. They are not hard. You just need people who have a clue as to what they are doing. Though I do have to say that ending up in a good group doesn't happen all the time. I have ended up in groups with people who were so dumb not even the borg would assimiate them.

Why not use EDCs?

EDCs are gained from both normal and elite STFs. Someone could easily just farm EDCs on normal, and not put forth the extra effort of doing the elites. The Prototype Borg Salvage is only gained from elite, and therefore make more sense as a currency for the MK XII. The requirement for the optional makes it so that a person can't avoid doing the instance they need the set piece from at least once.

I thought the number 40 was fair since it would require several runs to aquire that many. Also it is keeping in line with the number of EDCs required for the MK XI set pieces.

I myself have 2 MKXII Honor Guard Ground sets, and 9 of the space sets. This really isn't an issue for me. I just thought it would be nice for a way for those people who are hated by the RNG to get thier last set piece.

I know this has been discussed before, however I wanted to discuss it again without thread necromancy, and perhaps run the idea by people who havent seen those threads. :P