test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Account-Item Binding

artyfrostartyfrost Member Posts: 0 Arc User
So what deems and item feasible to be character bound as opposed to account bound? I understand the big tickets like Special Duty Officers and unique items from the c-store or from episodic content etc. What should be considered for account wide binding?

I have a few suggestions:

1. STF Loot - Namely Encrypted Data, Rare Borg Salvage, Prototype Borg Salvage and of course Tech. How many of us have 1 piece on scattered characters because the drop rate is woeful and inconsistent at best. Why does it need to be character bound? It's not tradeable, marketable, or 'game breaking', I see no harm in making it account bound, then the pressure to repeat constantly the same stfs on the same char then becomes less of boring tedium and we don't start collecting excess chips etc for toons who frankly no-longer need them. I know I like playing my engineer but I don't want anymore protos on THAT toon.

2. Invasion items - Come on now! I have 1 toon I have been working on constantly to get that last item for the set (the crystal matrix shield) I have like SEVEN compressed cryo guns, and I can't dish em out to my alts, seems a bit ridiculous, and a waste of time if you only merch them for insignificant credits when other toons could use them. That goes for Defera crafting items, why character bound?

Those are really my issues atm as they would make alot of people happy including myself. What does everyone else think?
Post edited by artyfrost on

Comments

• teleon22teleon22 Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2012
    I think all items should be account bound.
  • romuzariiromuzarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    All items except quest items should be account bound, and STO doesn't have any quest items anyway and I don't suspect it ever will because everyone is so twitchy at the thought of such things in game; whether you buy them or work hard for them. I can only imagine the whining that would take place in the event they gave us a year+ long quest that ended with a mind blowing ship reward that only like 5-10% of the pop would ever get their hands on.

Account bound items are in these days. The players are demanding it as standard for MMOs. If SquareEnix can make the jump for FFXI which trust me is a massively HUGE feat by them to ever decide to do then pretty much everyone else in the industry can do it, too. So I suspect it will be the norm for STO in the future. The only thing we shouldn't be able to send off to alts is quest items which makes all the sense in the world to me and again, we don't have to worry about that for STO.
  • onlineangelonlineangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Agreed.

This doesn't inspire you to want to make a 2nd character, let alone a 10th.
  • boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    All STF loot needs to be account wide bound. Maybe people would start re-queing again if they could spread the drops to their other toons.

And while we are discussing binding, I would pay real money for a token that would let me un-bind a ship. As it is now, if you get a crated ship, you have to uncrate it and try it to see if you like it. If you don't, you're stuck with it.

500 zen to re-box and unbind a ship would be something I would buy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • artyfrostartyfrost Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Agreed, there is nothing drastic in making the fair majority of items in the game account bound. Seems logical lol
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    A couple more items to add to that:

1. Crafting mats from Defera. Even if we can't trade them to others, if I gather mats on another toon, I'd like to be able to MOVE them between my characters.

2. Fractal Remodulators. Yes, they made these bound to CHARACTER. Any old ones before the update are still fine, but new ones are indeed, bound to character and cannot be traded. They shouldn't be bound at all, because they're pretty much the 'biggest prize' out of even wanting those blasted crafting mats at all.

I know people buy those things for a pretty few EC, which is fine, but I just want to make them en masse for my fleet-mates and such, honestly, these shouldn't be bound at all.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • lucklairdlucklaird Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would love to be able to swap some of my paid for ships to other characters.