test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Aux to Dampeners broken?

seraphantillesseraphantilles Member Posts: 97 Arc User
Aux to Dampeners is supposed to provide immunity to "disable." Does that mean it will prevent "Beam Target X" skills from working? (I have been told that it does not, but then if it doesn't, how can it be really said to provide immunity to "disable"? Maybe update the tool-tip to define what "disable" actually means.)

What all counts as "disable"?
Post edited by seraphantilles on

Comments

• Options
    havamhavam Member Posts: 1,735 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Good catch the wording doesn't make much sense since Beam Target SUbsystems has a chance to "disable" said subsystem, just like viral matrix or phaser procs.

The immunity from Aux2 Damp has nothing to do with this. It gives you immunity to stuns, from eg. Photonic Shockwave, Bio-Neural Warheads, Tricobalts etc.

It has to be activated before the stun hits you, however, which takes some skill, and a lot of luck.
  • Options
    savingjsavingj Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It would be nice to see this ability be able to resist tractor beams since it is after all, "Auxiliary to Dampeners"
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2012
    The wording is a bit misleading, but suffice it to say that there is a big difference between a Disable effect, and a Subsystem Disable effect. The first disables the player's ability to use any abilities, the second shuts off a subsystem thereby causing powers that rely upon that subsystem to become unavailable.

The only 'true' Disable effect I can think of, off the top of my head, is Photonic Shockwave.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    atatassaultatatassault Member Posts: 1,008 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The wording is a bit misleading, but suffice it to say that there is a big difference between a Disable effect, and a Subsystem Disable effect. The first disables the player's ability to use any abilities, the second shuts off a subsystem thereby causing powers that rely upon that subsystem to become unavailable.

The only 'true' Disable effect I can think of, off the top of my head, is Photonic Shockwave.
    Does the Subspace rift cause by a High Yield TriCobalt count?
  • Options
    borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2012
    Does the Subspace rift cause by a High Yield TriCobalt count?

Ahh, yes it does. I'll look up a list shortly.

(edit)
    Other space Disable powers:
    Magnetometric Overload
    Photonic Shockwave Torpedo

That's all.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • Options
    ussultimatumussultimatum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    savingj wrote: »
    It would be nice to see this ability be able to resist tractor beams since it is after all, "Auxiliary to Dampeners"

Hi Bort,

Would you be able to give us some input on what savingj posted?

It's always seemed odd that tractor beams are designed to be slightly weaker against Cruisers - and yet overall Cruisers are generally more susceptible to them as they have less places to stick much needed counters (APO & Polarize Hull).

Aux to ID seems like it should do that and, but in fact does not.

It would be great if there were a tractor break available in engineering.

On top of this, the Inertial Damps skill provides a negligible benefit against tractor beams to justify it's cost based on placement in the skills tiers.
  • Options
    p2wsucksp2wsucks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hi Bort,

Would you be able to give us some input on what savingj posted?

It's always seemed odd that tractor beams are designed to be slightly weaker against Cruisers - and yet overall Cruisers are generally more susceptible to them as they have less places to stick much needed counters (APO & Polarize Hull).

Aux to ID seems like it should do that and, but in fact does not.

It would be great if there were a tractor break available in engineering.

On top of this, the Inertial Damps skill provides a negligible benefit against tractor beams to justify it's cost based on placement in the skills tiers.

Regarding the Inertial Damps skill there was a time 3 points in this basically made one immune to TBs. This meant zero slots needed to be spent on counters. Still, I think it would be ok if it was more effective vs NPC TBs, eg pets, than player boff slotted skills.

The ability was meant to be more of a movement buff, phys resistance, and stun immunity. If you add in TB immunity you'd probably have to take one of the other attributes away. Personally I like the uniqueness of the skill as it is.

Fyi, there are other ways to deal w/TBs than PH and APO.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=5302031&postcount=21

The link shows some ways I mentioned in another thread.
    [Zone] Dack@****: cowards can't take a fed 1 on 1 crinckley cowards Hahahaha you smell like flowers
    Random Quote from Kerrat
    "Sumlobus@****: your mums eat Iced Targ Poo"
    C&H Fed banter