test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Turning off visual effects, how?

Comments

• happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I understand :) That's why I made the post before that one in this thread.

Yes, but that post is prefaced with, "'m not sure if this is possible..."

Something needs to be done if it's decided that the original suggestion isn't feasible.

Perhaps make sure they can only be used at allotted times. After all, the Winter Tribble supposedly has effects that only function during the Winter Event, perhaps these disruptive social devices could be made to only be usable during specific events (like the 4th of July, dev events, anniversary celebrations).

Failing that rip them out, or tone down the effects to basically nothing (like the "snowball grenade").

Or even just up the number of GMs in game (player volunteers with some oversight to manage this) and deal with the problem people. As said, there are entire fleets devoted to abusing the general population. They have websites professing this, and videos posted across the Internet recounting it. Why is this allowed to persist? Why do these fleets even still exist?
  • palek2000palek2000 Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yes, but that post is prefaced with, "'m not sure if this is possible..."

Something needs to be done if it's decided that the original suggestion isn't feasible.

SNIP

Or even just up the number of GMs in game (player volunteers with some oversight to manage this) and deal with the problem people. As said, there are entire fleets devoted to abusing the general population. They have websites professing this, and videos posted across the Internet recounting it. Why is this allowed to persist? Why do these fleets even still exist?

This needs to be addressed immediately, these fleets are harassing other players who choose to Roleplay in a... Wait for it... Online Roleplaying Game. I have been harassed for simply asking them to stop, I wasn't roleplaying, I wasn't insulting anyone, I was standing at the bar watching people dance and asked politely for them to stop spraying the dancers. This is harassment, it is supposed to be against the Terms of Service and yet they are allowed to continue doing it, then they make videos and post logs of the harassment for others in the fleet to enjoy. Unacceptable.
    Former Forum Moderator - 10.28.2016 2:04pm-4:06pm
    PC LTS - Launch
    XBox Freeloader - Launch
    edited August 2012
    This is occurring as I type in Drozana zone #1, Four players with fire extinguishers following another player around spraying him continuously while being asked to stop. When is this NOT harassment?
    PC LTS - Launch
    XBox Freeloader - Launch
    edited August 2012
    swimmingly wrote: »
    This afternoon, there were players in Drozana local offering money through Paypal for the real names, addresses and any other identifying personal information of any ***edited*** member. We have screenshots and chatlogs that demonstrate this.

And that is wrong, I do not advocate any return bullying. But it is also not surprising considering the lengths these fleets will go to trying to get a response from others just so they can then report them. It doesn't change the fact that they think they can harass other players without repercussions. Either take care of the griefers or remove the devices they are using to grief others with.
    PC LTS - Launch
    XBox Freeloader - Launch
  • daytonamaxdaytonamax Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    palek2000 wrote: »
    This is occurring as I type in Drozana zone #1, Four players with fire extinguishers following another player around spraying him continuously while being asked to stop. When is this NOT harassment?

That is horrible!
    BUT
    That is certainly a demonstration of how angery people have become with them.
    Since this has happened it's an obvious lack of proper administration by cryptic to control/prevent this behavior.
  • stealthymcthiefstealthymcthief Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So I went to Drozana earlier to see what all the commotion was about after not playing for something like two months when I overheard a conversation about somebody dying in one fashion or another, I didn't catch the details. What happened next made me sick and ashamed to actually belong to the same species as some of the people there but they were actually overjoyed and throwing a party.

Throwing a party and celebrating that another human being had died just because they had a disagreement or whatever had happened in an online game, throwing a party because his children now have to grow up without a father. I honestly feel for the people who lost a comrade and I have no words to actually describe how I feel about the behavior of some of the people who claim to be the victims here.
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So I went to Drozana earlier to see what all the commotion was about after not playing for something like two months when I overheard a conversation about somebody dying in one fashion or another, I didn't catch the details. What happened next made me sick and ashamed to actually belong to the same species as some of the people there but they were actually overjoyed and throwing a party.

Throwing a party and celebrating that another human being had died just because they had a disagreement or whatever had happened in an online game, throwing a party because his children now have to grow up without a father. I honestly feel for the people who lost a comrade and I have no words to actually describe how I feel about the behavior of some of the people who claim to be the victims here.

That is NOT what happened at all.
    A fleet leader in one of the fleets was defeated/"killed" in PvP under the agreement he wouldn't return to Drozana. His fleet then went on about it and alot of people were showing their joy over how theis particular individual wasn't returning. His own fleet said he wasn't really dead. so....
    No reason to be sick over nothing.
    BTW Qa'plA for another enemy to RPrs defeated.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • stealthymcthiefstealthymcthief Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    That is NOT what happened at all.
    A fleet leader in one of the fleets was defeated/"killed" in PvP under the agreement he wouldn't return to Drozana. His fleet then went on about it and alot of people were showing their joy over how theis particular individual wasn't returning. His own fleet said he wasn't really dead. so....
    No reason to be sick over nothing.
    BTW Qa'plA for another enemy to RPrs defeated.

So his children have to grow up without a father because he was defeated in PvP? Yeah, that doesn't add up.
    edited August 2012
    So his children have to grow up without a father because he was defeated in PvP? Yeah, that doesn't add up.

Ya, exactly. he didn't die in real lfe, so it was nothing.
  • kokushibyokokushibyo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    There already is a setting to turn off poppers and extinguishers. Look under Video -> Effects -> Visual fx quality -> Low. That gets rid of the spray and the sound. That plus liberal use of ignore has made Drozana tolerable again, for me anyway.
    edited August 2012
    kokushibyo wrote: »
    There already is a setting to turn off poppers and extinguishers. Look under Video -> Effects -> Visual fx quality -> Low. That gets rid of the spray and the sound. That plus liberal use of ignore has made Drozana tolerable again, for me anyway.

I had found that also. It is must more peacefule now.
    BUT
    All the visuals look "2000" style in the grachics...
    It seems a shame to have to lower the games quality to accomodate not seeing griefers.
    It seems like it's punishing the victim.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Fog machines for Club 47!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Winning answer!
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

The main issue isn't the fog, it's the repetitive noise. If they made another noise, and less noise, let's be honnest, no one would complain about people using fire extinguisers.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • demyx18cdemyx18c Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Very well but when they are being abused for harassment, the players being harassed need to have some way to prevent it. Moving zones is not the answer, that means I am being penalized for THEIR bad behavior. Currently I use the function of politely asking them to stop, then reporting to GM's as harassment, but all I see is them continuing unabated. I understand that I will not see a response to a GM ticket but I need to see them stop or be able to stop it myself. The abusers are truly ruining my experience of the game and something needs to be changed.

Changing zones appears to work anyway as from what I have seen the harassers are in multiple instances doing their thing. And for the fleets that are being harassed, moving to starbases may not be viable as apparently the harassers have infiltrated their fleets. While these infiltrators are being dealt with by the respected fleets, it just shows how far the harassers are willing to go.

And as an actual reply to the OP's question, while you can lower the visual fx, it does not completely negate all the party poppers effects like fireworks (which I find to be the most annoying affect.
    Picard to Chunk, do the truffle shuffle!
    edited August 2012
    If only adding these fools to your ignore list not only made their avatars invisible to you, but more importantly, made YOU invisible to THEM. That would sort out all griefing problems permanently. I doubt it's possible though, or even if it was possible it probably wouldn't (in the devs eyes) warrant spending resources implementing.
    edited August 2012
    If only adding these fools to your ignore list not only made their avatars invisible to you, but more importantly, made YOU invisible to THEM. That would sort out all griefing problems permanently. I doubt it's possible though, or even if it was possible it probably wouldn't (in the devs eyes) warrant spending resources implementing.

This is an excellent idea.
    PC LTS - Launch
    XBox Freeloader - Launch
  • zerobangzerobang Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    actually...

turning off effects of powers selectively would help a lot with a problem that we have come to known as "FX drop"... you know, when really much stuff is going on on the screen and suddenly effects start to flicker / blink / go invisible

if we could turn off all the effects that we don't like (space and ground), this would happen a lot later.

hell i would probably shut off 3/4 of all effects just because i don't like all those blinking rings and stuff

some effects are needed, like plasma fire (ground) or those engineer shields, but many of them are just shiny blink blink stuff that would fit more into Hello Kitty online than into Star Trek

turning visuals off selectively would be win-win for framerate, immersion, annoyance factor etc. etc.

of course that would mean a lot of on/off switches to be made functional and added to the UI. so not a small update, but certainly a good one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm surprised no one has brought up that annoying noise that the monkeys make.. continuously, especially in echoing environments.

It is even worse than the Horta grinding.

At least the Spiders are quiet.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Oh Brandon you. :P
    diogene0 wrote: »
    The main issue isn't the fog, it's the repetitive noise. If they made another noise, and less noise, let's be honnest, no one would complain about people using fire extinguisers.

That's.... a good idea really. It would make Droanza an easier place to visit. :D
    I'm surprised no one has brought up that annoying noise that the monkeys make.. continuously, especially in echoing environments.

Not only are there not many 800 day veteran rewards, many of them don't like the monkey. :D It's not that big of a deal.
  • jafobss1701jafobss1701 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Well you never play the game ive never seen anyone at club 47!
  • fluffytargcreamfluffytargcream Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

It also gets rid of any fine tuning you do on your video settings. Now I have to go back and reset eveything to make it look right. Just using the slider will do it. Everyone still looks "flat" and untextured.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The level of Fun Police activity in this thread is truly disturbing.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Anyone using these items on another person is not having FUN
    they are being at best a jerk and at worst a gutless bully

it should carry an AUTOMATIC ban from the whole game to use one of these items in ESD
    Live long and Prosper
    edited August 2012
    It also gets rid of any fine tuning you do on your video settings. Now I have to go back and reset eveything to make it look right. Just using the slider will do it. Everyone still looks "flat" and untextured.

What slider? It's a drop-down menu.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7032/captureklf.png
    jexsamx wrote: »

I think only a sociopath would consider non-stop harassment fun.
    edited August 2012
    jexsamx wrote: »

Well, some peoples idea of fun in game, would get them arrested in real life real quick. :D
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The whole idea of Party Poppers is to use them in social zones.
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    party poppers (the real ones in the real world) are classified as fireworks and can't legally be sold to children
    Live long and Prosper
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited August 2012
    Well you never play the game ive never seen anyone at club 47!

:eek: If I have not been playing this game for the hundreds of hours between all of my character's /played results, have I been dreaming this whole time? Is this real?! Are we all stuck in a dream?:eek:

:P

JK. I'm dancing in ESD right now :D

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    edited August 2012
    :eek: If I have not been playing this game for the hundreds of hours between all of my character's /played results, have I been dreaming this whole time? Is this real?! Are we all stuck in a dream?:eek:

:P

JK. I'm dancing in ESD right now :D

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

You should try to dance in Drozana Station and see what results.
    PC LTS - Launch
    XBox Freeloader - Launch
    edited August 2012
    You should try to dance in Drozana Station and see what results.

As if we didn't need another reason to start a riot. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.