test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Still no Foundry? Really...

muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Are we going to be told that the Foundry will be part of Season 7 release?
Post edited by muaren on

Comments

• drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2012
    Magic 8 ball says.... ask again later... dang.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    yeah, really. Also one of my missions still hasn't been republished.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • cptturnbullcptturnbull Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that is really annoyed with this. I wanna start building maps and stuff for the Fleet RPs.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Argh, this is disappointing after all we have been told.

The update notes said they had removed items from the Foundry but left me with the opinion that they were going to open the door and flip the lights back on. I was really expecting to come home today and get on the Foundry. Sadly I can no longer keep waiting everyday like some school girl by the phone.

If or when I return to STO, it will only be when they get the Foundry back online. So this means while my missions are playable I cannot fix the minor errors. So there is no point sitting by a phone that is not ringing.

I know many of you have spent a lot of money on STO. At one point I was thinking of that LTM package (back when I had the Foundry). I am a little disabled woman who has nothing better to do than spend her excess money on these games. I suppose now I am off to Guild Wars and plop down more money on my Farmville and Cityville accounts.

When I read Mr. Dastahl's letter he posted I really thought he meant what he was saying. I can't believe a word of it now.

You want to talk, you can find me on Facebook. The link is on my user profile.
    NFA-banner.png
    edited August 2012
    Guys, be patient. Quote from Zero in the bugs thread:
    We're doing our final checks right now before we give the "all clear" to re-open the editor.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • kbflordkruegkbflordkrueg Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    No new Cryptic developed missions...? really?

Isn't it sad players rely more on user generated missions for new missions than the comapany making a profit off the game...?
    Even sadder that to make that cool stuff you have to be a paying subscriber for the privilage of doing Cryptic's job of bringing new mission content to the playerbase so they continue playing therefore making Cryptic more money so they can keep said jobs...
    Lord Krueg
    KBF CO
    We are the Dead
    join date Aug 2008
    edited August 2012
    Is it sad? I like that players like my missions. I like that players are interested in user-generated content, and you know what, we've had a great community of authors form around this tool. So if my or anyone else's missions generate more interest in STO so the Devs can keep their jobs and STO can stay alive (allowing me to make more missions), I'm ok with that.

As to Cryptic not making missions, well I think that's a mistake on their part. But hey, they've got a right to make their own business decisions.
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It will be two weeks. Two weeks that we were warned about. Two weeks we have spent with active feedback from devs. Two weeks where they not only cared about the missions being put back up but actively made sure the authors would not be punished for leaving their missions up. Two weeks where every bit of communication and action showed they learned from S4.

You know what, reading all this, I'm of be belief a lot of us don't know what happened at S4. Let me run this down for you.

First off, it was a month of trash, garbage, and terror. A month where if you did any work, it didn't matter because they were forced to wipe it all anyways in order to make things work. A month were 1 star reviews piled and piled. Imagine, if you will, having access to the editor but after a months worth of work you lost it all? The missions you had getting slammed by disasters reviews. After which, they just shut it all down. You couldn't get in. And then told you NOTHING. Afterwards some effects, like space explosions, just didn't work. Oh yeah, and then after that, with the exception of a few ship props and maps, we got nothing for updates. Nothing. For a year. Until now.

That was S4. That was what all of you are comparing this relatively painless and at least explained downtime to.

I'm not going to hold anyone's hands here. I'm going to stop telling people to look on the bright side or have faith. At this point, it's obvious that some of you are only able to make your own minds. That is how things should be. Honestly, if this, THIS, is the straw that breaks your back to STO or the Foundry... more power to you. Good luck. I can't say we'll all miss you.

Me? I'm still grateful, I'm pleased. There are other authors just like me and I know it. I think drogyn1701 is one of them deep down. I understand that some people only play STO for foundry and thus have been bored while I have had my fleet and characters and other fun to play with. Sure things haven't been done in a weeks time, but really, if it's back in under two months... S4 comparisons are still a far ways away in my mind.

The dev's have been doing great with this. You're entitled to your opinions, and have fun somewhere else if you leave. Chances are, if this is what scares you off, you would have left for some other asinine reason anyways.

Oh, and all you people who are just using this to take shots at the devs for "another failure" or what not when you obviously have no contact or hand in the foundry community... I didn't know STO supported "Troll" as a Captain's Race choice. Stop trying to derail our threads, you look like idiots.
  • muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Is it sad? I like that players like my missions. I like that players are interested in user-generated content, and you know what, we've had a great community of authors form around this tool. So if my or anyone else's missions generate more interest in STO so the Devs can keep their jobs and STO can stay alive (allowing me to make more missions), I'm ok with that.

As to Cryptic not making missions, well I think that's a mistake on their part. But hey, they've got a right to make their own business decisions.

I generally tend to agree with you here. To be honest before the foundry blackout- I probably spent 95% of my STO time either in the foundry or playing foundry missions. I realy liked the challenges, both making and playing them.

Now with the blackout I think I spent all of six minutes in STO. I literally logged in stood there for a few seconds and then decided that there wasn't anything that interested me.
    It's the Foundry that gets me in game. Usually after playing some foundry missions I go off and do some Cryptic stuff- even spending some money. BUt without the Foundry- I don't even bother going in anymore.
    I know they see the Foundry as pretty useless since it doesn`t make money directly, but I don`t think they know how inderectly it does make money. Maybe I`m wrong, they do seem to number crunch quite a bit. Maybe the Foundry community is really just too small to make any difference.
    edited August 2012
    It's 3 weeks today, but that's neither here nor there :)
    I'm still grateful, I'm pleased. There are other authors just like me and I know it. I think drogyn1701 is one of them deep down.

Don't get me wrong man, I'm totally grateful on the surface too! I think it's a fantastic tool that Cryptic has given us. I've tried to be a modder in other games, ones where you have to rely on third-party tools to break open game files. It's hard, and a lot of the time you're very limited unless you're a world-class 3d-modeler, which I'm not. I tried to learn that, but it went about as well as piano lessons, which is to say bad.

Once upon a time I tried to start a mod team to turn Medieval: Total War into Tolkein's Silmarillion. It was tough cause we could only find ONE guy who could make the sprites we needed for units. I could make battle maps (cause there was a built-in editor) and with my rudimentary photoshop skills (I've gotten better) I could make banners, but that was the extent of my skills. We ultimately did not finish the mod.

I had a lot of fun swapping out skins for Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy, but that was about all I could do. Tried learning how to make maps, didn't go well. I think there's people who seem to have a natural inclination for these things, and I'm not one of them.

But the Foundry? This I can handle. It ain't perfect, and I can't do everything the devs can, but so what? I don't need that to make a great mission. Try to make the same kind of mission in Jedi Academy, yeah good luck.

Truth be told, the Foundry is almost all that I do in STO. I say almost cause I do enjoy running the occasional mission and Nukara was fun (the first half-dozen times). But while the Foundry's been down I've mostly been off playing other games. This doesn't bother me in the least, since I'm not paying any money I can take a break and not feel like anything is being wasted (though perhaps that should concern Cryptic).

I may bust the devs chops a little here and there, but it's only cause I want them and this game to be a success. I do not subscribe to the sort of hate-gaming I see here and in other forums, where people seem to want games to fail. I just don't see where the fun is in that, and I play games to have fun.

Anyway, sorry for the /wall of text. Bottom line is I think we'll see the Foundry editing up again very soon (tm) and we can all go back to happily creating great content.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    FYI Editor is back online.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's 3 weeks today, but that's neither here nor there :)

Once upon a time I tried to start a mod team to turn Medieval: Total War into Tolkein's Silmarillion. It was tough cause we could only find ONE guy who could make the sprites we needed for units. I could make battle maps (cause there was a built-in editor) and with my rudimentary photoshop skills (I've gotten better) I could make banners, but that was the extent of my skills. We ultimately did not finish the mod.

I had a lot of fun swapping out skins for Jedi Knight 2 and Jedi Academy, but that was about all I could do. Tried learning how to make maps, didn't go well. I think there's people who seem to have a natural inclination for these things, and I'm not one of them.

All I can say? Awesome. The Total War mod community was a dedicated group, I only edited to make things work. And Jedi Knight 2. Yeah... nice.

You totally earned super points from me today.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yeah! I woke up to a phone call they told me it is up and running! :D

6:30 am and the BEST wake up call I got.
    NFA-banner.png
  • highland1982highland1982 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It will be two weeks. Two weeks that we were warned about. Two weeks we have spent with active feedback from devs. Two weeks where they not only cared about the missions being put back up but actively made sure the authors would not be punished for leaving their missions up. Two weeks where every bit of communication and action showed they learned from S4.

You know what, reading all this, I'm of be belief a lot of us don't know what happened at S4. Let me run this down for you.

First off, it was a month of trash, garbage, and terror. A month where if you did any work, it didn't matter because they were forced to wipe it all anyways in order to make things work. A month were 1 star reviews piled and piled. Imagine, if you will, having access to the editor but after a months worth of work you lost it all? The missions you had getting slammed by disasters reviews. After which, they just shut it all down. You couldn't get in. And then told you NOTHING. Afterwards some effects, like space explosions, just didn't work. Oh yeah, and then after that, with the exception of a few ship props and maps, we got nothing for updates. Nothing. For a year. Until now.

That was S4. That was what all of you are comparing this relatively painless and at least explained downtime to.

I'm not going to hold anyone's hands here. I'm going to stop telling people to look on the bright side or have faith. At this point, it's obvious that some of you are only able to make your own minds. That is how things should be. Honestly, if this, THIS, is the straw that breaks your back to STO or the Foundry... more power to you. Good luck. I can't say we'll all miss you.

Me? I'm still grateful, I'm pleased. There are other authors just like me and I know it. I think drogyn1701 is one of them deep down. I understand that some people only play STO for foundry and thus have been bored while I have had my fleet and characters and other fun to play with. Sure things haven't been done in a weeks time, but really, if it's back in under two months... S4 comparisons are still a far ways away in my mind.

The dev's have been doing great with this. You're entitled to your opinions, and have fun somewhere else if you leave. Chances are, if this is what scares you off, you would have left for some other asinine reason anyways.

Oh, and all you people who are just using this to take shots at the devs for "another failure" or what not when you obviously have no contact or hand in the foundry community... I didn't know STO supported "Troll" as a Captain's Race choice. Stop trying to derail our threads, you look like idiots.

Dude if you want to support these devs and the rest of the team, go ahead because i think your the idiot. For the last month ive been grinding for the starbase building. after 2 weeks into it i was bored and im sure others agree, but to support the STO team. that is stupid. they cant even give us an update on when the editor is back up. So go back to your game and shut up because majority of us are fed up of all of you cryptic supporters.
    edited August 2012
    The editor is up. Has been since yesterday. They posted about it in numerous places.

I have some questions for you: if this dev teams sucks and you're bored of this game, why are you posting here? Do you want to see the game fail? Do you take pleasure in a game failing and people losing their jobs? If a person likes some of the things Cryptic is doing, why does that mean their opinion matters less than yours? How do you know the majority of "us" are fed up with anything? Do you have polling numbers? If you're bored by the Starbase grind, why post that here?
  • muarenmuaren Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The editor is up. Has been since yesterday. They posted about it in numerous places.

I have some questions for you: if this dev teams sucks and you're bored of this game, why are you posting here? Do you want to see the game fail? Do you take pleasure in a game failing and people losing their jobs? If a person likes some of the things Cryptic is doing, why does that mean their opinion matters less than yours? How do you know the majority of "us" are fed up with anything? Do you have polling numbers? If you're bored by the Starbase grind, why post that here?

I second that.
    Now there are places in the game that bore me, but I wouldn't say that I don't like STO. I actually like the fact that this game has enough faucets that you can ignore sections but still enjoy the game.
    To be honest- the 3 things I look forward the most with STO is:
    1. Cryptic storyline mission content
    2. Foundry
    3. Just hanging out as a Starfleet or KDF officer. I'm a Star Trek fan so just being within that world is cool.

3 I've always had since launch.
    2 just came back online so I'm satisfied.
    1 they say Season 7 is story content focused so it gives me something to look forward too.
    All in all, it does have it's bumps and annoyances, but overal I'm satisfied with the game. Are there things I would like to have it be great, sure, but everygame I've ever played has been the same.