What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic producer: Star Trek Online 'not dying by any means'

captain4mericacaptain4merica Member Posts: 55 Arc User
Post edited by captain4merica on

Comments

• walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Who actually thought it was other than the usual forum trolls?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What? It can't be. The game died one month after release. That's what I was told when I got my preorder-lifetime sub.:D
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Huh, why are you making a thread linking to an article on a site that talks about a comment on these forums? You should of just linked directly to his comments here (A bit of a lame way to get site traffic).

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=5072451&postcount=48
  • atomicfbatomicfb Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Still, it is good news. There are still going to be doomsayers and detractors but if nothing else we all get the play the game.
  • ziploc332ziploc332 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If anything is dead, it's Champions Online. STO is a money sink, but it's the best space ship simulator out there that doesn't slam grief-based PvP down your throat.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Or require you to treat it like a business. :D
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I never thought it was dying, just not growing to its potential.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    I think this is the most accurate statement I have ever seen!
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited August 2012

Well we know that. :P

But the "Open dev positions" bit interests me. What positions are they? And what could they add to the game?
  • sp4cecomm4ndersp4cecomm4nder Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ziploc332 wrote: »
    If anything is dead, it's Champions Online. STO is a money sink, but it's the best space ship simulator out there that doesn't slam grief-based PvP down your throat.

STO is absolutely not a "space ship simulator". It is a fun game, but definitely not a sim.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    suricatta wrote: »
    Huh, why are you making a thread linking to an article on a site that talks about a comment on these forums?
    We have to go deeper!
  • thejudge573thejudge573 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's sad that the majority of this game's population or game for that matter thinks that once one thing goes wrong they think the game is doomed to fail. STO has improved so much since it's launch yeah there are bugs still need fixing but every mmo has bugs. Every mmo has priorities that's just part of the game. People really need to stop complaining and don't tell me just because you shall out your money your entitled to anything you and the hundred of thousand other people that play this game.

I find it funny people post about how they can do a better job running this game yeah unless you are a expert in any kind of game programming, business managing please just keep your mouth shut. The devs do read and listen whether people want to believe it or not so instead of spending bulk of your time on the forums writing your doom speeches why not play the game or go get laid or something geez.
  • sp4cecomm4ndersp4cecomm4nder Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It's sad that the majority of this game's population or game for that matter thinks that once one thing goes wrong they think the game is doomed to fail.

They dont. The people who post on the forums are a very small minority of the playerbase(I'm guessing 10% or less), so you have absolutely no idea what the other 90% think.
    edited August 2012
    It's sad that the majority of this game's population or game for that matter thinks that once one thing goes wrong they think the game is doomed to fail. STO has improved so much since it's launch yeah there are bugs still need fixing but every mmo has bugs. Every mmo has priorities that's just part of the game.

Pffft. Yeah, hardly any of the players actually post on the forums. And even Less do it regularly. Out of my 20 man fleet and all my in-game friends I am the only person to even visit the forums.

Not to mention the fact that I hardly ever see even the most active Forumites in game. In reality the forums are a very, very, very small part of the playerbase. We're just the most obnoxious. :P
  • synther1synther1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well we know that. :P

But the "Open dev positions" bit interests me. What positions are they? And what could they add to the game?

"Wanted: Cryptic Studios is hiring developers to help squash bugs that have been in the game since launch because we've been too lazy to fix them for the last two and half years. Excellent pay and benefits, if you make it past the first six months and do not get laid off by our Asian overlords."
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What? It can't be. The game died one month after release. That's what I was told when I got my preorder-lifetime sub.:D

Wait... I thought the game died the same moment this "other space MMO" was released ;)
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    synther1 wrote: »
    "Wanted: Cryptic Studios is hiring developers to help squash bugs that have been in the game since launch because we've been too lazy to fix them for the last two and half years. Excellent pay and benefits, if you make it past the first six months and do not get laid off by our Asian overlords."

Asians? Gypsy and me are in.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2012
    ZOMG it must be true! :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The full quote ...

dastahl wrote: »
    Some rumor control...

Cryptic was sold because it was a profitable business and worth at least $50 million to Perfect World.

The STO leadership team is triaging bugs weekly to prioritize bug fixes to go out as soon as possible. After the Season 6 launch, it has been all hands on deck for the Foundry, which should be turned on for editing this week if all goes well.

We will be making some tweaks to the amount of Fleet Marks several missions reward so that the various PVE Queue Missions reward similarly. (this means bumping up some of the missions that reward on the lower side of the scale)

We are meeting regularly to review Fleet Progression and have and will continue to make adjustments to projects. In the near future we expect to drop the Fleet Mark requirements on higher tiers (T4 and T5)

STO is not dying by any means and continues to grow stronger. Just last month we took over as the top performing game for Perfect World in North America.

The STO development team continues to grow month over month and we still have several positions open.

As the team grows larger our Seasonal plans are getting larger. We expect Season 7 to be bigger than Season 6, and Season 8 to be bigger than Season 7. More content, more fixes, more updates across the board.

Our development efforts to improve PvP continue and while we aren't discussing it and did suffer a setback with Gozer leaving, we are working towards a goal of having more efforts put into addressing this part of the game.

Season 6 brought with it several new video features from the Core Video Card team, some of which have been awesome, and some of which have caused some issues. We are working with that team (who in turn work with the Video Card makers) to get some fixes for odd glitches that crop up.

The Starbase Fleet Action map (20 man) does have performance issues. We have several people assigned to this specifically to address this and expect improvements over the upcoming month.

We haven't forgetten about KDF, or PVP, or Crafting, or Exploration, or any other feature we've all talked about addressing. We are simply being more pragmatic about how fast we can get to specific features - but our intention is to absolutely get to all of them as fast as we can.

We do listen to feedback, and while we don't always address every post, we certainly take note. As a F2P game, our business model is different, but the same hard working team will continue to develop STO into a bigger and better MMO year after year.

We are glad that players are enjoying Season 6. We realize there are some issues, but we also realize it has been great for Fleets and group game play. We expect that the second half of this year is going to be even better for STO than the first half was.

Thank you for continuing to support this game and for continuing to voice opinions. We hear them and are working behind the curtain to improve the game in every way.
  • mailman650mailman650 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The SWTOR guys should start paying more attention to STO after yesterdays news :D I won't say that STO's F2P model is the way to go, but two years on, after being ditched by it's publisher, then being sold off and the content droughts we had, STO is still going strong.
  • synther1synther1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    mailman650 wrote: »
    The SWTOR guys should start paying more attention to STO after yesterdays news :D I won't say that STO's F2P model is the way to go, but two years on, after being ditched by it's publisher, then being sold off and the content droughts we had, STO is still going strong.

I seriously hope you're joking, since SWTOR doesn't even have a small percentage of the game breaking bugs that STO has. If they're going to follow anyone's model, it should be the one that Turbine uses. Thankfully, this appears to be exactly what EA/Bioware has planned.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I seriously hope you're joking, since SWTOR doesn't even have a small percentage of the game breaking bugs that STO has. If they're going to follow anyone's model, it should be the one that Turbine uses. Thankfully, this appears to be exactly what EA/Bioware has planned.

Thats the same model where you have character only unlocks, lockboxes and paid-to-access quest content. Appealing!
  • boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Umm, no, I seriously hope he isn't and that you are. I like per account unlocks and non-pay-gated content. Thanks, thou. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    suricatta wrote: »
    Huh, why are you making a thread linking to an article on a site that talks about a comment on these forums? You should of just linked directly to his comments here (A bit of a lame way to get site traffic).

You haven't figured out yet that the OP is TGN, the same TGN that submitted that post to Massively?

(Also the same TGN that is banned from these forums)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • broadnaxbroadnax Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    nynik wrote: »
    Thats the same model where you have character only unlocks, lockboxes and paid-to-access quest content. Appealing!

You keep harping on LOTRO's lockboxes, but they are very rare drops -- and keys drop in game at a similar rate. Not to mention that there are no super-rare-gotta-have-em ships, etc., included and they are not shoved in your face all the time.

In most cases, character-only unlocks are not that expensive and there is no "pay-to-win" there at all. I've never purchased anything from the LOTRO store other than cosmetics; there's no need to. Now, I can say the same thing here. The only ships I purchased are because I liked them, not because I thought I needed an edge.

LOTRO's advantage is that they definitely have incentive to subscribe (i.e., VIPs are actually valued) and they have the Premium tier instead of just F2P or Gold.

Note that I have a F2P STO account for my daughter and we are thoroughly enjoying it. But given my drothers, I still prefer LOTRO's model in general (there are certainly pluses and minuses to both).
  • reconalpha1reconalpha1 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As everyone knows, you can?t believe everything someone says about the state of any game or company until the damage is too big to be coved up by a friendly smile and ?it?s all okay? statement.

Didn?t the captain of the Titanic say it was all okay and nothing to worry about when they ?tapped? the small ice cube.

The same can be said for the Captain of Costa Concordia which crashed into rocks off Italy's Tuscan coast. He said everything was alright and was one of the 1st to jump off the sinking ship.

The 1st thing every company does is deny anything is wrong to protect its incoming cash flow.

They don?t want anyone to panic until the water level is at least waist high.

:D
  • thokoothokoo Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Yes........X2
    thokoo...formerly known as "Vaani@Vaani":eek:
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I find it funny that a lot of you take D Stahl at his words, no questions asked. Are you so desperate to believe the game is soaring to the hight's Dan says it is, because you fear your game might be going the way of champs?

Only the hard core fan base Has kept this game going and when I read some of the gushing thanks some of the fans put in their posts, i shake my head in bewilderment.

As to the spin master himself, remember the things this man has said in the past that have not come to fruition, with no answer after when queried.

Heres a few.

Pwe want a full Klingon faction.

I'm playing the next F E right now

No changes to lifers when the game goes f2p

Game isn't going f2p any time soon

The Dan fan club will of course respond that he's idealistic and what he's saying is what he wants to happen to the game. To that I say humph

Finally, where is the big thread about the game dying for Dan to respond in "desperate" way that he did? People, myself included have been saying this since day 1 and never had shch a long response like this,so what has cause this statement?

Is it possible that with TOR going f2p (surprise to me tbh), that it is now competition to STO? Yes I know that one is a space shooter and the other is more ground base, but plenty of people on the forums refused to play TOR because of subs. Now that's gone, the might just try it.

I suppose TOR going f2p could be a good thing for STO as the team might have to start working harder or start changing its price fleecing to compete.

If anything, I think is NW that's going to be the changer and that's where I think you will see Cryptic putting all its resources in.

Anyway. I just think people saying that what Dan says is true, need to not take everything at face value. That said, people as old and jaded like me, might want to think that sometimes, higher ups, do tell the truth.
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The faster you mine a resource the higher your rate of resource generation but the quicker the resource runs out. PWE is using the business model of treating their customers like resources to be mined rather than customers, so of course they are making record profits, but how long will that last?
  • foxfire2000foxfire2000 Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Dying.....well not right away....but if it continues in its present form it will eventually bore the back legs off of all the FTP base, the same way it did to the PTP base....and indeed kill itself in the proccess.

At present it just seems to be stagnating......i mean come on, it's Star trek, it's got over 46 years of content and ideas......so why have we all been sitting with so little for so long....its boggles the mind.