test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Engine Differences??

zanthe25zanthe25 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
Almost all the engines seems to have the same stats regardless of there MK, only the modifiers seem to make any difference (spd, turn etc)

I know the difference with combat/hyper etc

But is they some hidden difference with higher MK engines?
It seem strange high level item that make no difference at all.
Post edited by zanthe25 on

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Some Engines function better when the ship's Engine Power Level is below 50. Others function better when the Engine Power Level is above 50. That's why when you read the description it will say "high" or "lower" Power Levels. If you like to keep your Engine Power Level at 46, after all modifiers, then you don't want to slot an engine that needs High Power Levels, as you won't get the most benefit from it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • glykenglyken Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    you're misunderstanding the question:

what's the difference?
    • white combat impulse engine MK XII
    • white combat impulse engine MK II

i.e does the mark of an engine actually do anything besides increase what you can sell it to an NPC for?
    edited July 2012
    Ah, my bad. Yes, the Mark of the Engine gives slight bonuses to Speed, Turn, etc; and the rarity of the Engine also can increase those bonuses. They're not huge bonuses but when you factor in the Power and Ship modifiers they can make a difference.

I mean, everyone who flies a Cruiser wants the best Turn they can get out of it. While the difference between a Turn of 5 and Turn of 6 might not seem like much it can have an impact depending on how you fly your ship and use various abilities.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • zanthe25zanthe25 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Ah, my bad. Yes, the Mark of the Engine gives slight bonuses to Speed, Turn, etc; and the rarity of the Engine also can increase those bonuses. They're not huge bonuses but when you factor in the Power and Ship modifiers they can make a difference.

I mean, everyone who flies a Cruiser wants the best Turn they can get out of it. While the difference between a Turn of 5 and Turn of 6 might not seem like much it can have an impact depending on how you fly your ship and use various abilities.

thats exactly my point however, they are mk X engines with exact same stats as mk III
    edited July 2012
    zanthe25 wrote: »
    thats exactly my point however, they are mk X engines with exact same stats as mk III
    If you're seeing that you're seeing a bug. Every Mark increases in abilities. It could be a display bug in that it gives the correct bonus when slotted but doesn't show the correct bonus on the Engine display.
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited July 2012
    You only see the actual stats when the engine is equipped in space, not sector space.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    zanthe25 wrote: »

I don't know when, but engines seems to have been normalized. Meaning that there isn't that big of differences between lower and higher Mks. Unless you are needing a specific Mk of engine for a set, it's perfectly viable to stay with a Mk VI or VIII Engine you like until the end game or you find a better one (i.e. attributes that are to your liking).
  • flekhflekh Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Engine tier basically has two effects: base impulse speed, and bonus at full impulse.
    Base impulse speed is not visible on the item, the only way to see the difference is to actually equip it and look at your ship's stats (movement -> flight speed) while in system space, or by actually flying around in system space and watching the mouseover on your throttle.
    Or you can look up the charts on stowiki, that's usually a very good idea when facing a question about this game.

And since impulse speed affects your defense change, a higher tier of impulse engine might let you save power to the engines whcih you can use on other systems while still maintaining a high avoidance - of course that's where the combat/hyper engines come into play: your power setting and the engines efficiency level determine the final impulse speed of your ship.

'Might not seem much of a difference, but it is quite noticeable.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    I don't know when, but engines seems to have been normalized. Meaning that there isn't that big of differences between lower and higher Mks. Unless you are needing a specific Mk of engine for a set, it's perfectly viable to stay with a Mk VI or VIII Engine you like until the end game or you find a better one (i.e. attributes that are to your liking).
    I long ago came to the conclusion that Engine base stats scaled with level. The only point to upgrading engines is to get better mods.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    thats the reason you can get the http://www.stowiki.org/Efficient_Impulse_Engines at ltcmdr and stick with it until you do stf's or get the jemhadar engine

the power levels it gives are allways the same + the mark has nearly no impact on the performance.
    Go pro or go home
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    baudl wrote: »
    thats the reason you can get the http://www.stowiki.org/Efficient_Impulse_Engines at ltcmdr and stick with it until you do stf's or get the jemhadar engine

the power levels it gives are allways the same + the mark has nearly no impact on the performance.

I +1 this message all day. Once you get these, you can rock them pretty much up to VA.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You can rerun the mission to get a "better" one eventually. (higher Mk)

They got tweaked to give a boost that scales based on current power, IE pounded with the Nerf bat.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • glykenglyken Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Just did some testing to see how much of a difference it made.

Star cruiser
    • Impulse 18.42 (95.73 full impulse) with Combat Impulse engines MK II
    • Impulse 22.97 (146.20 full impulse) with Combat Impulse engines MK XI
    No change in turn rates.