test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I can't understand all the Small Fleet cry babies

levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
First thing is that I fall into the catagory of "small fleet" just me , myself, and I

I started a fleet originally because I am a pack rat and for 13 million dilth you get the bank space across all alts(at least me Fed ones) that would have cost 1000's and 1000's of c-store points

I also started the starbase project and have being doing a lot of grinding to get it moving

currently I have Tier 1 with approx 18k exp in all three areas + in about 12hr my transwarp gate will be operational

And you know what? Not one time during the"exploit" did I do Nukara!

I am danm happy they nuked Nukara becasue I was like - working my A$$ off and hearing the small fleet guys saying yeah I just farmed for 700 marks on a good run - WTF?? That not right.

Bases were designed to be HUGE projects that take HUGE amount of resourses and time - they were not ment to be attainable by small fleets in any reasonable amout of time - EVERYONE knew this.

So now you have people whinning with this argument:

My small fleet or 3 active players is just finishing tier 1 while I heard a fleet of 300 is already into tier 3 - that's not fair! They should make it so that small flleets have lowere requirements than large fleets!

Really? who is that unfair for the small fleet or the large fleet?

So a factory with 300 people making widgets takes 1 month to complete a widget and a mom and pop takes 10 months - but hey you want the gov't(cryptic) to step in and make the factory have to put 10x the amout of stuff into the widget - just to make things seem equal??

Sorry whinners - but that Idea is somewhere along the lines of communism - and has proven not to work

Stop being whinners and blaming cryptic - as I have been told in the past - no-one is forcing you to grind - no-one is saying you have to have a base - a few small fleets I know and not solo - like 5 or 6 active have just decided not to bother - thats a fleet decision

I did suggest one thing that they could do - is keep everything the same - but after X amount of time they have a "general" base that everyone could spend their fleet markets on the gear(each level would become avail after x amout of fleets passed that tier)

Second they could apply fleet marks to all events and Stf's - as those events are becoming empty now.

But changing the requirements only penlizes the large fleets for the benifit of the small - not the other way around - because on a grand scall you are making them do way more for the same thing that you - and THAT's not fair!
Post edited by levi3 on

Comments

• sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    the big fleets will finish bases in a year and then break up

small fleets will still be playing in a few years

We have the advantage here
    Live long and Prosper
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    First rule of the internet: no matter what you do someone will be upset and complain about it. :)

Fair is all about perspective. The 100-person Fleets probably don't think it's fair the 200-person Fleets are ahead of them. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • anthonyxmas1anthonyxmas1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm in a small fleet, and I am not complaining. I enjoy STO and the fleet advancement system.

The problem with the whiners involves patience ... or the lack thereof by STO players, particularly small fleets.

Fleet starbases have been out (on Holodeck) for three weeks. But some players want their fleet starbase up to Tier 5 by next week, if not sooner!

Or they want quick access to the perks of the advanced fleet starbases, such as better ships, weapons, gear, etc.

One solution: give up your small fleet, and join a big fleet getting their starbases sooner.

If your fleet is a small or one-man fleet, create an alt, keep the alt in the small fleet, and move your main characters to a large fleet.

Another solution: grind grind grind, and take your time.

I believe Cryptic will introduce new missions for obtaining fleet marks. Do players ACTUALLY think that Cryptic will keep the current missions as the ONLY source of fleet marks? That's pessimistic to the point of stupidity on the players' part.

So don't expect to advance your fleet starbase quickly. It is not the way other MMOs work, and so you shouldn't expect STO be any different :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LAUREN RULZ !!!!!!!!
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    it was clear from the very first info page on, that fleetbase construction would favour the big fleets...50+ active members.

All those small fleets started production of their fleetbase with that information available and they went for it despite it.
    That the content was going to be boring after 2 times playing it was a fact everybody knew...even if we all hoped it would be different...this time.

Also the whine about nukara is stupid, since it was damn clear that this was not working as intended.

PS: there is still enough time to merge with bigger fleets, if your progress is not sufficent enough. It's a simple decission: Progress with many other people, or little progress and happy alone.
    Go pro or go home
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    First rule of the internet: no matter what you do someone will be upset and complain about it. :)

Pretty much this. Can't make everyone happy all the time. Remember when the STF gear was released? There were a ton of complaints from the 'solo-player' group that it was "unfair" that they had to do missions in a group. They wanted to get the shiny's through solo play. Much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The devs have stated that the 'sweet spot' for the fleet system is somewhere between 25-50 players. Meaning, that is the number that the system is meant for optimally. It doesn't mean you can't do it with smaller numbers, but it will take longer. They have said that already, and that is by design. Larger fleet run into different problems. How long do you think it will take to provision 200 ships (assuming a 200 person fleet)? Unless you're willing to fork over 200,000 dilithium a pop, it will take 40 days to get that many ships (5 ships per project with 20 hr cooldown), and that's just 1 ship per person. Want 2 ships? back of the line for you.
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, if you're bummed because your fleet is tiny.... join Federation Reborn! We are NOT the smallest fleet around! But kinda small....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

Humour: How dare you write such a thing! You've upset me! And your momma dresses you funny. Don;t make me come down...

*shrug* Only issue I've had is getting fleet marks. I went ahead and did one of those 600 fleet mark projects because I selected it by mistake. Wasn't that bad. I have the Upgrade your starbase to tier 1 loaded. Planning on contributing 108 marks each day for the next few days to get that cleared.

I'm also out of dil but that's more because I don't do the dil farming that other players do. That's changing shortly.

Really it's a time and resource management problem. And I mean problem as in like you have to sit there and work things out instead of "OMG!" problem.

edit: I will say that the 180 Photon Torpedo Mk1s are an annoyance though. I only have 20 open slots in my inventory and having to buy them one at a time is more of an annoyance than the data samples are to other folks.
  • darkwhite0darkwhite0 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    more or less large fleet here (200 members)

starbase tier 2 this Wednesday :D:D:D

I do not understand, why someone starts a fleet with a few people to take five years to get tier 5... is not easier to get into a large fleet get the good items and help the fleet... making friends? 0o
  • levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm in a small fleet, and I am not complaining. I enjoy STO and the fleet advancement system.

The problem with the whiners involves patience ... or the lack thereof by STO players, particularly small fleets....

If your fleet is a small or one-man fleet, create an alt, keep the alt in the small fleet, and move your main characters to a large fleet.....

Another solution: grind grind grind, and take your time.

I:D

This is an excellent idea and something I have been doing in my solo fleet - I spread the grinding across 6 alter ego's - each now have from 450k to 200k Fleet marks per toon

So any point in the future that it becomes too much I can simply move 1 or 2 over to a large fleet and they will have by then at least 500k fleet marks
    edited July 2012
    But if we have 3 years to play and a goal we have motivation
    Live long and Prosper
  • tetonicatetonica Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The instant gratification crowd will never be happy until they get their epic gear from running one 5 minute mission for the whole set anyways.

The amount of pissing and moaning on these forums is a massive turnoff to new players, tbh. If I'd read these forums I probably wouldn't have even downloaded the game in the first place, and the only way I enjoy the game is by purposely ignoring the forums beforehand.

The sheer number of people here that expect or demand the game should cater to their specific needs/playstyle/desires is absolutely TRIBBLE. It really feels like the vast majority of people on these forums are 12 year olds and I know that's not the case.
    Lynis, Orion Engineer, main
    Rrezeth, Gorn Tactical, primary alt
    Nari, Orion Science, secondary alt
    edited July 2012
    Humour:

edit: I will say that the 180 Photon Torpedo Mk1s are an annoyance though. I only have 20 open slots in my inventory and having to buy them one at a time is more of an annoyance than the data samples are to other folks.

It's goint to get worse!! In tier 1 its 250! Buying 1 at a time!
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm in a small fleet and I'm not gonna complain that requirements should be lowered, I get why they are the way they are. I am going to complain about two things however. First, they really need to let us contribute data samples in bulk. I know, I know, they think it's going to give everyone a chance to contribute. I don't buy it. The other thing is yes, there needs to be more ways to earn fleet marks. I too am sure there are more coming, but they need to get here already.
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd be happy if there was an efficient way to convert fleet marks into other materials.

Mostly to avoid the logjams that pop up around certain hard to find widgets.

With the time gates on most FM earning option, this wouldn't even speed up progression much.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tetonica wrote: »
    The instant gratification crowd will never be happy until they get their epic gear from running one 5 minute mission for the whole set anyways.

The amount of pissing and moaning on these forums is a massive turnoff to new players, tbh. If I'd read these forums I probably wouldn't have even downloaded the game in the first place, and the only way I enjoy the game is by purposely ignoring the forums beforehand.

The sheer number of people here that expect or demand the game should cater to their specific needs/playstyle/desires is absolutely TRIBBLE. It really feels like the vast majority of people on these forums are 12 year olds and I know that's not the case.

the reason for that is STAR TREK...a star trek fan has certain expectations...and the game does not live up to that in many, many cases.
    But i generally agree with you, too much moaning...which kind of suffocates the real constructive critique.
    Go pro or go home
    edited July 2012
    Whats really funny is a am only a few days - maybe 5 or 6 - away from Tier 2 and I still have not been to my base yet!!!

17h 51 min to Transwarp!!

Also - can anyone tell me if the decorations and plants are worth 200k dilth?
  • avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm with you OP! I am also a single player alt fleet that busted his tail, over the past two weeks. to get all areas to T1 plus the base itself. I did so without ever using the obvious exploit in the Tholian missions. I frankly have no sympathy for those complaining about how the well has run dry, now that the exploit has been closed.

I do agree with the complaints about how the avenues to earn FMs become mind numbing after awhile. Cryptic definitely needs to add other means of earning FMs. Other than that, leveling a starbase was never meant to be easy.
  • betanembetanem Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    levi3 wrote: »

nope :mad:
  • latinumbarlatinumbar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Whats really funny is a am only a few days - maybe 5 or 6 - away from Tier 2 and I still have not been to my base yet!!!

17h 51 min to Transwarp!!

Personally, the windows were worth it. The plants?... not so much. Guess it depends on how much dilthium you have.

I'd say the Klingon statues for KDF bases are more 'worth it'.
    edited July 2012
    Being a small fleet, one person type, I would like the option to build a smaller base for less "gold",

Cut the size of my base by 1/3. And cut the required drops by 1/3.
    As for my base abilities, lower them as well. ie..... the Armory store. Only offer the VA weapons.
    I don't have a list of "abilities" in front to me, but that can always be hammered out later.

p.s.... for those in small fleets having trouble donating.... drop them, join mine, donate your merchandise, get your Fleet Marks, then rejoin your original fleet... That way, we're all happy.

Well...... mostly, I'd be happy... :D
  • realuniqueonerealuniqueone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Wait, what?

There was an 'exploit' that allowed people to get 700 fm in a single mission (a fair part of a tier of one type)? :eek:

If I had known about that, maybe my fleet would be at tier 1 by now...

*looks around the people in the topic with accusing eyes* :rolleyes:

I demand that the people that used the 'exploit' (even once - even by mistake) have the excess fleet marks removed, and their bases put back in tier again... because (even once - even by mistake) run of 700 marks is minimum a whole day's work for us non-cheaters.

:mad:
    >>> UniqueOne - Providing you with easy PVP kills since Feb 2012 <<<
    edited July 2012

Nope, but I got them anyhow :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LAUREN RULZ !!!!!!!!
    edited July 2012
    Id just block them from getting marks for a month so we can all catch up (if it was as an exploit)
    Live long and Prosper
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't much care for the inflammatory way the OP makes the point, but I have to agree that fleet advancement was never intended to be an immediate-gratification kind of thing.

It takes as long as it takes. Get used to that, and we'll all be fine.

I have every expectation that Cryptic will be willing to make adjustments to this new system over time. Those changes may or may not be favorable to small fleets, but should be effective for the largest number of players.

It's not an unrealistic expectation. I am well aware that it might not even be a high priority. But I do believe the Devs will make changes if they're warranted. Right now, though, it's too soon to tell.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited July 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I don't much care for the inflammatory way the OP makes the poin

.. but his epeen man, it's so big!
    edited July 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I don't much care for the inflammatory way the OP makes the point, but I have to agree that fleet advancement was never intended to be an immediate-gratification kind of thing.

It takes as long as it takes. Get used to that, and we'll all be fine.

I have every expectation that Cryptic will be willing to make adjustments to this new system over time. Those changes may or may not be favorable to small fleets, but should be effective for the largest number of players.

It's not an unrealistic expectation. I am well aware that it might not even be a high priority. But I do believe the Devs will make changes if they're warranted. Right now, though, it's too soon to tell.

Another perspective (my own impression) .. fleet advancement will purposefully occupy the player-base for at least the rest of the year, allowing the Devs to focus on other things, like (hopefully) revamping PvP, filling out the lower ranks of KDF play with missions, create a new faction, create or at least finish some STFs in the works, maybe create new Featured Episodes, etc. etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LAUREN RULZ !!!!!!!!
    edited July 2012
    Another perspective (my own impression) .. fleet advancement will purposefully occupy the player-base for at least the rest of the year, allowing the Devs to focus on other things, like (hopefully) revamping PvP, filling out the lower ranks of KDF play with missions, create a new faction, create or at least finish some STFs in the works, maybe create new Featured Episodes, etc. etc.

Or more likely: give us more lockboxes.

yay!

You know, i'd be happy if just the last 3 weeks of the game was playable... the camera bug still has not been patched. I spend 30 out of every 60 seconds (in combat - though more often dead due to it) trying to go through menus mid fight to change my camera back...
    edited July 2012
    Or more likely: give us more lockboxes.

yay

That too ;)

What's next, a Borg lockbox? A Horta lockbox? A Metron lockbox (TOS reference, look it up)?

A lockbox for every species! Why not? :D

(oops, I may have given the Devs some ideas, sorry)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LAUREN RULZ !!!!!!!!
    edited July 2012
    ... the camera bug still has not been patched. I spend 30 out of every 60 seconds (in combat - though more often dead due to it) trying to go through menus min fight to change my camera back...

Yeah, hate that too :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LAUREN RULZ !!!!!!!!
    edited July 2012
    That too ;)

What's next, a Borg lockbox? A Horta lockbox? A Metron lockbox (TOS reference, look it up)?

A lockbox for every species! Why not? :D

(oops, I may have given the Devs some ideas, sorry)

I'm personally looking forward to the pakled lockbox and it's stupidity console... I really want to look for things... not.

oh wait, isn't that what we do now?