test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestion: Redress the TOS Consitution Interior

queetzqueetz Member Posts: 125 Arc User
edited August 2012 in The Art of Star Trek Online
One thing that really bugs me, and I'm sure a lot of you, is the fact that the ship interiors aren't really that great.

The generic ones are oversized, and the ones that are nicely done, such as the Belfast (Defiant) and TOS Constitution interiors simply do not fit for all ships, hence ruining immersion.

So here is one suggestion, that should be easy for the Cryptic art team to implement:

Redress the TOS Constitution Interior

Given the time and resource constraints the Cryptic art team seem to have with providing us more interior packs, why not just update the TOS interior to a more modern look so we can use it for various ships such as the Excelsior, Prometheus, Miranda, Armitage, Rhode Island, and so on?

What does redressing the TOS interior mean?

You keep the same dimentions, scaling, etc, but update the consoles, chairs, floor, corridors, etc to be consistent with the time period of the game. This follows the tradition that happens in real life production of the Star Trek shows and movies. All starship interiors you see in the movies and TV shows, regardless of starship class, are redresses.

The Miranda (Reliant), Grissom (Oberth), Excelsior (both Search for Spock and Undiscovered Country), Stargazer, Prometheus, and so on are redress of the Constitution bridges AND interior from the movie Enterprise / Enterprise A. Just a few little changes here and there to indicate its a different ship.

Why the TOS Constitution Interior?

Even at its current layout, a simple update to its consoles, walls, floor carpetting, chairs, etc, can fit most ships in the game, by giving it a modern look.

The issue with the TOS Connie interior is it only, canonically speaking, fits the TOS Enterprise in the game. If we were to redress it, give it a more modern look, it can fit many ships in the game.

And by producing a more modern version of this interior, we can even use the more scaled but modern interiors as a template when the tools in the Foundry are there so players can customize their own layouts.

What do you guys think? Any comments, suggestions, feedback?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd rather have them spend time on content to be honest.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    many of us paid money for that interior

and we like it how it is
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    There's been talk, for some time and very recently, from the Devs and even Stahl himself, if I'm not mistaken, of using the Foundry engine to make ship bridges/interiors somewhat customizable. No word (natch) on when this may be coming or how far along in development it is... but it does seem to be something that (hopefully) is still being worked on... which would answer your suggestion quite nicely, I believe... :D
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Content will come regardless, and I believe its handled by another Department of Cryptic. But my giving us an updated interior, this will free up the Art Team's involvement for more interiors and so on.

My understanding is the reason why interior packs take forever to make is its a lot of effort to make one. So get one "generic" but improved interior, such as a nicely scaled TOS Connie Interior, that we can use for all other ships.
    sollvax wrote: »

and we like it how it is

I paid for it too, but no one is suggesting that those that already bought the TOS Connie interior will loose it. Its just an additional interior using the same scaling and layout of the TOS Connie interior but more "modern".

And of course, we expect Cryptic should also charge a fair price for the new interior as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    lomax6996 wrote: »
    There's been talk, for some time and very recently, from the Devs and even Stahl himself, if I'm not mistaken, of using the Foundry engine to make ship bridges/interiors somewhat customizable. No word (natch) on when this may be coming or how far along in development it is... but it does seem to be something that (hopefully) is still being worked on... which would answer your suggestion quite nicely, I believe... :D

Yeah, my fear with the Foundry tools is we may still be forced to use the oversized hallways and rooms that currently exists with the generic interiors. So having a more scaled interior from redressing the TOS Connie interior with the modern look can also provide us with a more scaled template to use when the Foundry tools for interior design becomes available.
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Ditto.

Anyway, an updated Constitution is on CBS' "Hell No" list. Granted that's normally the specs as well as the outside design. I;m sure the inner design is as well.
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    sollvax wrote: »

and we like it how it is

Now I know you're just commenting for the "sake of" doing so. Nobody suggested redoing the existing bridge, and removing the old (original series) style entirely. I suppose you need to learn the definition of redressing in terms of production.

And yes, I know redressing happens in STO (case in point: Starbase lower levels). The thing is thou, to try and be clever about HOW you redress an area, so as to make it less obvious that it's based on something else.
    Ditto.

Anyway, an updated Constitution is on CBS' "Hell No" list. Granted that's normally the specs as well as the outside design. I;m sure the inner design is as well.

The OP is talking about the INTERIOR of the TOS-era bridge/deck-layout. CBS has nixed the idea of a T5 Constitutition Class (ship, exterior), but as far as I know, no word as to what is allowed to be done to the TOS interior. As far as I know, if you own the TOS bridge, you can use it on any ship you want. The OP is merely suggesting, ADDING an additional, more modern look for the 2409 era.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Same here. Full Galaxy interior pretty please?
  • Options
    palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    More content yes........undiscovered country bridge for the Connie......ummmm yes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    More content yes........undiscovered country bridge for the Connie......ummmm yes

THIS. THIS is the bridge I would absolutely LOVE to have, and would make a great Excelsior bridge as well, since I doubt that they'd also do an Undiscovered Country Excelsior bridge.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    aethon3050 wrote: »
    THIS. THIS is the bridge I would absolutely LOVE to have, and would make a great Excelsior bridge as well, since I doubt that they'd also do an Undiscovered Country Excelsior bridge.

Interestingly enough, the Undiscovered Country Connie Bridge is nearly identical to the layout of the existing "Blaze" Prometheus Bridge in the game. And that particular bridge is also the basis for the redressing for the Excelsior and Enterprise B bridge. However in the show, the Prometheus bridge was a direct redress of the Excelsior bridge from the VOY episode, Flashback.

Unfortunately, the way they placed the ready room in the in-game Blaze Bridge is also immersion breaking since the Ready Room is placed where a turbo-lift shaft should be. That said, I'm even totally game if they redress the TOS Connie interior to make it look like the Undiscovered Country Connie interior. :)