test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The new UI looks horrible!

eldioraeldiora Member Posts: 8 Arc User
The last iteration of the UI with Season 6 was a step back in useability and viewability. But this new ui since the last patch is simply ugly, horrible and you can't seem to find anything anymore easy and quick.

All the icons are so big (and i use a huge monitor for gaming) that its hard to see everything at a quick glance.

Please revert it back!
Post edited by eldiora on

Comments

• Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    eldiora wrote: »
    The last iteration of the UI with Season 6 was a step back in useability and viewability. But this new ui since the last patch is simply ugly, horrible and you can't seem to find anything anymore easy and quick.

All the icons are so big (and i use a huge monitor for gaming) that its hard to see everything at a quick glance.

Please revert it back!

What part of the UI was revamped so majorly, that it completely turns you off from wanting to continue playing? The only major UI changes in today's patch that I could see, was the DOff screen. And it looked alot better.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I see no changes.

Then you have no idea what you're talking about and shouldn't post.
    If you go to Options/BASIC and at the bottom you see Interface Scale, adjust this to reduce or enlarge the size of your HuD icons

Doff window cannot be adjusted in this way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    What part of the UI was revamped so majorly, that it completely turns you off from wanting to continue playing? The only major UI changes in today's patch that I could see, was the DOff screen.

So you know what the change was, but you claim you have no idea what the OP is talking about. Hmm.
    meurik wrote: »
    And it looked alot better.

How so?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tongpowtongpow Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    new UI looks awesome imo
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I prefer the new layout. it looks clearer and crisper to me. It will take a day or two to get used to but i think it is ultimately better.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    it looks clearer and crisper to me.

How so? The fonts textures etc are all exactly the same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    *scroll* *scroll* *scroll* *scroll* *scroll* *scroll* *scroll* *scroll*

A summary of the new doff system.

Seriously, it's really inefficient. It's too big, we don't need any images (colors would have been smater) and we spend our play time scrolling though useless assignments.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    kobayashlmarukobayashlmaru Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I haven't been in STO since the update, can someone post a screenshot?

Please tell me this is not another update like when they made the exchange icons larger and created scroll bars for no good reason.
    Kobayashi Maru

"Holographic tissue paper for the holographic runny nose. Don't give them to patients." - The Doctor
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If it isn't broke, don't break it.
  • Options
    boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Eh, its not much of a difference really. You had to scroll before, too. The filter buttons at least fit now.

It really isn't that big of a difference and isn't anything to be a tool to others over. Sorry they don't feel the same level of outrage or drama you do, but not everyone cries over slight changes to a UI.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't like the new changes to the DOFF UI, it was just fine with the previous version. The new one is just too large and the buttons at the bottom are in awkward locations.

If people were having trouble with the old one, then they should make a DOFF UI scale slider.
  • Options
    rankin0bassrankin0bass Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I agree with Azurian. If they're going to fiddle with the size, they should add a slider for scaling it.
  • Options
    zensutrazensutra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    eldiora wrote: »

Please revert it back!

Agreed. For those asking for a screenshot of the new UI:

http://i.imgur.com/t5GUW.jpg

I will give constructive feedback, however.

• The enlarged images for the Assignments don't add anything to the usability. They're indistinct even at the current size, and you can always see a larger version on the right if you select it.

• The brightness/saturation levels for the boxes around the Assignments also needs to be looked at. The common ones are too bright, and when you have a several Uncommon/Rare tasks next to each other, it's just distracting. Normally I'm okay with making things brighter for readability, but you need to have some kind of hierarchy so the user can prioritize easily. So Very Rare ones should be brightest, common ones almost dull.

• There's too much spacing around the headers now; they take up room without even the usability of clicking on them to collapse them, forcing new scrollbars. Hard to tell with all the new spacing, but the leading and font sizes may have changed as well (sorry no comparison image to check). Either way, the new boxes force a scroll when it used to take up 2/3rds or half of the space.

• Increasing the size of the images on the fixed right hand column, you can't even fit 'Eidetic Memory,' but it comes out as 'Eidetic Mem...' -- is it really worth the 5 extra pixels for me to see the icon for Science? Look at all the cutoffs for 'Scientist.'

Making larger, brighter images/icons is competing with the most important part: the information. You aren't designing for a smartphone or touchscreen, and information needs to be better blocked out. Remember when you guys said that LCARS looked good on the show but was not useable as information display? Yah, that.

Right now, the eyes zig-zag around to see and spot the information. Titles, colors, brightness are all competing for attention. I know that a lot of work went into the icons and pretty pictures, but you're sacrificing usability for it. Not worth it.

And yes, a scaling slider would help.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    boglejam73 wrote: »
    Eh, its not much of a difference really. You had to scroll before, too. The filter buttons at least fit now.

It really isn't that big of a difference and isn't anything to be a tool to others over. Sorry they don't feel the same level of outrage or drama you do, but not everyone cries over slight changes to a UI.

There is no drama and no one is being a tool. People are voicing their honest opinions about a change to the game. Do you think you have more of a right to your opinion than others? No? Then don't complain about others expressing theirs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    zensutra wrote: »
    Agreed. For those asking for a screenshot of the new UI:

http://i.imgur.com/t5GUW.jpg

I will give constructive feedback, however.

• The enlarged images for the Assignments don't add anything to the usability. They're indistinct even at the current size, and you can always see a larger version on the right if you select it.

• The brightness/saturation levels for the boxes around the Assignments also needs to be looked at. The common ones are too bright, and when you have a several Uncommon/Rare tasks next to each other, it's just distracting. Normally I'm okay with making things brighter for readability, but you need to have some kind of hierarchy so the user can prioritize easily. So Very Rare ones should be brightest, common ones almost dull.

• There's too much spacing around the headers now; they take up room without even the usability of clicking on them to collapse them, forcing new scrollbars. Hard to tell with all the new spacing, but the leading and font sizes may have changed as well (sorry no comparison image to check). Either way, the new boxes force a scroll when it used to take up 2/3rds or half of the space.

• Increasing the size of the images on the fixed right hand column, you can't even fit 'Eidetic Memory,' but it comes out as 'Eidetic Mem...' -- is it really worth the 5 extra pixels for me to see the icon for Science? Look at all the cutoffs for 'Scientist.'

Making larger, brighter images/icons is competing with the most important part: the information. You aren't designing for a smartphone or touchscreen, and information needs to be better blocked out. Remember when you guys said that LCARS looked good on the show but was not useable as information display? Yah, that.

Right now, the eyes zig-zag around to see and spot the information. Titles, colors, brightness are all competing for attention. I know that a lot of work went into the icons and pretty pictures, but you're sacrificing usability for it. Not worth it.

And yes, a scaling slider would help.

This feedback is extremely precise, detailed, and useful, and I completely agree with every word of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Zensutra is more or less correct, but I think he's overstating the issue. After lookign at it, I got used to the changes in a few minutes. The main change to me is that you need to scroll more now.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    *scroll* *scroll* *scroll* *scroll* *scroll* *scroll* *scroll* *scroll*

A summary of the new doff system.

Seriously, it's really inefficient. It's too big, we don't need any images (colors would have been smater) and we spend our play time scrolling though useless assignments.

Agreed. The scrolling is a bit of a pain. Livable though.
  • Options
    akrilonakrilon Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I prefer the new DOFF user interface to the old one. I like being able to see the mission icons, which seem to be nicely done.

That being said, I'm using a 27 inch monitor, so I can see how the enlarged icons may be a bit too big for smaller screen sizes. Perhaps an option to change between large and small icon sizes?
    faddc0e2956f1903cb9ac9197fb10cd8_large.png
  • Options
    brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    zensutra wrote: »
    [*]Increasing the size of the images on the fixed right hand column, you can't even fit 'Eidetic Memory,' but it comes out as 'Eidetic Mem...' -- is it really worth the 5 extra pixels for me to see the icon for Science? Look at all the cutoffs for 'Scientist.'
    [/LIST][/COLOR]

Yeah, it's time to get rid of that pointless, uneven indentation. Add a line break after Critical Success (or just shorten to Critical!). Add a line break after Success.. etc. etc. The vertical space is less of a premium than the horizontal. The truncation function seems to be haywire, regardless. If the ellipses don't all appear at the same column, you're doing it wrong. Look at any Operating System. Things like that matter for usability.

And hey, while we're overhauling, why not colour coding traits to match the pie chart? (Not precisely the same because of text readability, but the same hue.) All green is misleading when I want crits. All red is misleading when a mission has Moderate success.

UI in this game is such a gong show. :( The Anti-UI Mod philosophy at Cryptic really scorches my nacelles.

At least they didn't change the tab bar to show all of "Department Heads". I don't know how much change I can stomach at one time! :P:D God forbid I ever get confused that "Duty Officers" and "Request Duty Officers" are different becau.... oh look, the biggest tab is also linked to the C-Store? Well howzabout that? :rolleyes:
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • Options
    superherofansuperherofan Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I hate the new look of the DOFF interface.
  • Options
    sirepicalsirepical Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    They changed, from what I see...

DOff mission screen. Looks fine, I don't care.

Open inventory slot. Slightly lighter and more 3Dish. Again it looks fine, I don't care.

It's not a huge difference. In a couple of weeks no one will even notice it.
    edited July 2012
    If you had a 16' widescreen people wouldn't say that it's ok. I play on my laptop and the new UI takes ALL the screen when I use the doff system. I think the guys at cryptic shoul start to use the stuff we play on to test their brilliant ideas...
    Agreed. The scrolling is a bit of a pain. Livable though.

Well we could live with anything, it's just a game. It doesn't mean we have to be happy when bad changes are done.

Some explanations would be welcome. Why? If it is an incentive for people to use the doff system, I think we could tolerate that, but I really don't like the idea of wasting time when I use a secondary aspect of a game.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • Options
    abcde123123abcde123123 Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    add my 2 cents:

First the good thing: the speed of the doff roster has been improved which is great.

But then:

* either a new font or the kerning has been tweaked. Can we increase the kerning of assignment name? Can we also reduce boldness of a font a little? Right now it is really hard to read.

* Can we put "dismiss" button back to where it was, on the left of right panel? You have to move your mouse twice as far to dismiss the colonist/prisoners.

* Can we make "ok" button on all the dialogs activated by "Enter" button? "Cancel" with "Esc". Delete Doff dialog, starbase particle donation "ok" button, etc etc.

* Mass action on items. Deleting colonists/prisoner en masse would make my day anyday. So will mass moving the doffs to trade/mail button. And mass deleting mails.

* There's different doff "card" for doff roster and assignment pickup. Especially the little bound icon which exists on roster and doesn't on assignment. Would it be possible to unify them?
  • Options
    theultimatefunkytheultimatefunky Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    the only part of the UI i noticed that had changed was the doff UI when doing doff assignments, its not noticabily huge but i noticed it right away
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    omniusexoromniusexor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    the new UI is ugly and inefficient and i reported it as a bug.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5010461#post5010461
  • Options
    boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    aestu wrote: »
    There is no drama and no one is being a tool.

Oh, really?
    Then you have no idea what you're talking about and shouldn't post.

You look kinda silly now, bro. Best example of forum-toolishness I've seen in a long time.
    Do you think you have more of a right to your opinion than others?

No, but I'd suspect that someone who tells other posters not to post probably does..... :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]