test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Federation Starbase INTERIORS

akrilonakrilon Member Posts: 137 Arc User
I'd like to preface my feedback on Federation Starbase Interiors with some kind words; a big thanks to the devs for Season 6, which seems to have launched relatively smoothly in comparison to previous launches.

I'm enjoying the new missions, especially the Starbase Incursion, and I'm generally pleased with the new Starbase system and the state of the game. There certainly seems to be a lot more to do at end-game now, and I'm very thankful for that.

That being said, I have some feedback with respect to the Federation Starbase interiors:

When I first beamed down to our Starbase, I was very underwhelmed by the interior design of the base. I understand that we're still constructing tier 1, and that we haven't unlocked many of the aesthetic options and add-ons that might come later, however, I understand from speaking with some people who tested on Tribble, that the interior remains relatively constant, regardless of the tier it's at. I'm not sure if this is true; maybe people can correct me if I'm wrong.

HOWEVER, from my perspective, the Federation starbase interior, when compared to the KDF interior, are light years apart in terms of complexity and design. The KDF interior is, in my opinion, brilliant! Not only is the design beautiful, but it's actually functional. There is a giant mess hall for fleet meetings to be held, as well as several other areas to congregate, with seats that allow you to auto-sit with double clicks, etc. The theme of the design is consistent with what I would have imagined a KDF base to be like.

The Federation bases, on the other hand, are nearly devoid of any style, and looks nothing like anything I've ever seen in a Star Trek series or movie. With so much on-screen material to pull from, I'm disappointed that the base looks like nothing I would associate to Star Trek.

Setting aside for a moment that the lower decks are a completely copy/paste job from maps used numerous times throughout the game, whether it be during missions or on Starbases elsewhere, the Ops level, for which I had the highest expectations, was, in my opinion, really a let-down. I'd pictured a Ten-Forward style, lounge area, with Starfleet themed corridors and lighting etc, and not at all what ended up in-game.

Cryptic has gotten really good at KDF interiors; the First City, Klingon Academy and shipyards, are in my opinion, terrifically done; the Bortosqu bridge is beautiful, and all of the interior work culminated into a stunning Starbase interior. HOWEVER, Cryptic has never really gotten the hang of Federation interiors. I've never felt that any of the Starbase designs, ESD, Starbase 39, K7 etc have been styled in a theme remotely close to what was ever shown on screen. With the beauty of the Odyssey bridge, I thought that we might be getting closer to something Starfleet styled, but consistent with the 2409 time frame, and hoped that we'd see some of that terrific design in our Starbases, but, unfortunately not.

In terms of Functionality, the 'lounge' area of the Federation Starbase, appears to allow you to click to sit on those giant, Mario Bros style blocks around the bar, which I assume are supposed to be chairs, however, the double clicking doesn't actually do anything. Likewise, in the lower levels of the Starbase, a ready-room style office can be found, also without any auto-sit functions, that have been incorporated in all the other new maps in the game.

In general, I'm grateful for the Dev's efforts as far as Season 6 goes; I'd really, really ask, that some thought is given to continue developing/changing the Federation Starbase interiors to update it's design and include the functionality that our KDF counterparts get.

I assume that the Starbase is supposed to be a place where you get excited to go, to organize missions, hang out with fleet mates and hold meetings, and I simply don't get worked up to go there.

Am I alone in this view? What do YOU think about Federation Starbase Interiors?
faddc0e2956f1903cb9ac9197fb10cd8_large.png
Post edited by akrilon on

Comments

• Options
    mickelntekmickelntek Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    i think the same way. after the Oddy bridge i hat realy high hopes for the starbase. but if it comes to interiors almost all starfleet areas look like TRIBBLE exept Oddy bridge and Facility 4028. wich they are now also using on nukara as tholian prison :confused:
    and please in the name the great Michael Okuda get rid of thos all blue LCARS screens
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My main gripe is with the lower decks.

From what I've seen on tribble some of the ops additions will make it quite nice (and I don't think we saw them all by any means) It's very spartan at the moment, but it still looks good. The lower decks on the other hand... Are horrible. It's going to take a heck of a lot more than a few additional chairs and tables to fix that half-assed season 1 ship interior copy/paste job.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have to agree with the OP, if you compare the Klingon Starbase with the Federation, the Klingon one seems more like an actual Starbase. Not only that, there are spots where you could hold meetings. And the Federation Starbase does seem rather plain compared to the Klingon Starbase.

But the one thing that bothers me the most about both Starbases is Cryptic cutting and pasting from old maps without attempting to make it look different. (Also find Klingons having a transporter in the middle of their Operations room seems like not a very smart tactical decision).

Then there is the functionality. Once complete, player starbases will effectively make Hubs obsolete. And that somewhat bothers me that it will make old Hubs trival. So be interesting what the team is going to do.
  • Options
    tebsutebsu Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    yea, fed starbases look really boring. I agree in all points to the OP
    What ? Calaway.